Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open Beta Postponed

13»

Comments

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

Originally posted by MMOman101

I do not understand why they would delay the open Beta unless they were just trying to limit how many people play it before the retail.   Unless they move the release date I am not sure what this will ultimately cure.  Not sure how  moving the open beta back accomplishes anything.

Well hopefully this also means the release is delayed enough to make it good.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

Originally posted by svann

I do not understand why they would delay the open Beta unless they were just trying to limit how many people play it before the retail.   Unless they move the release date I am not sure what this will ultimately cure.  Not sure how  moving the open beta back accomplishes anything.

Well hopefully this also means the release is delayed enough to make it good.

maybe becuase there is a major bug or 2 that breaks the game? cant keep servers up so why start open beta until its fixed

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

Originally posted by Wizardry

Originally posted by fyerwall

Could just be that something they were adding in the transitional update between closed and open beta went gnarly on them hence causing the need to postpone until the issue is resolved. I dont think it really has anything to do with limiting the amount of players who try the game before release (after all, open betas are really more of a preview than anything ). Besides, open beta is usually when they do their whole server load test, so they would want as many people as possible slamming the server.

I don't really see a conspiracy in the whole postponing of the OB. All I see is SE caught something and want to have it fixed before a large amount of people enter the game.

It's not the first time a phase of beta in an MMO has been reschedualed.

I might beleive this and give Square the benefit of the doubt.It would really be sad if they are just finding critical bugs now after all the time they have been running closed Betas.So i guess it is possible that some new update or newly added content has caused the problems.I mean we never once heard of any critical bugs in the several months of closed Beta,so why all of a sudden on day 1?

One thing that really bothered me is this continuing downward spiral of Square being CHEAP.I noticed they are using a Torrent format for the beta downloading using our bandwidth.I ran my machine all night at times d/l at zero yet uploading tons of my bandwidth.No doubt i can probably search my registry or files and find some unknown torrent downloader program as i usually find these after trying F2P games.

This is the thing,i have seen a downward spiral in Square Enix over the last several years,at one time i had them as the very best by a longshot,not anymore,now torrent and a failed first day open beta,limiting peoples play time,added to the long list of other knucklehead things  they have done and it seems they are heading in the wrong direction.

Well seeing as how the move from closed beta to open beta involved a 1.7gig patch. I am sure there was a great number of stuff added / tweaked / updated to cause such a large update to be required.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Originally posted by Wizardry

Originally posted by fyerwall

Could just be that something they were adding in the transitional update between closed and open beta went gnarly on them hence causing the need to postpone until the issue is resolved. I dont think it really has anything to do with limiting the amount of players who try the game before release (after all, open betas are really more of a preview than anything ). Besides, open beta is usually when they do their whole server load test, so they would want as many people as possible slamming the server.

I don't really see a conspiracy in the whole postponing of the OB. All I see is SE caught something and want to have it fixed before a large amount of people enter the game.

It's not the first time a phase of beta in an MMO has been reschedualed.

I might beleive this and give Square the benefit of the doubt.It would really be sad if they are just finding critical bugs now after all the time they have been running closed Betas.So i guess it is possible that some new update or newly added content has caused the problems.I mean we never once heard of any critical bugs in the several months of closed Beta,so why all of a sudden on day 1?

One thing that really bothered me is this continuing downward spiral of Square being CHEAP.I noticed they are using a Torrent format for the beta downloading using our bandwidth.I ran my machine all night at times d/l at zero yet uploading tons of my bandwidth.No doubt i can probably search my registry or files and find some unknown torrent downloader program as i usually find these after trying F2P games.

This is the thing,i have seen a downward spiral in Square Enix over the last several years,at one time i had them as the very best by a longshot,not anymore,now torrent and a failed first day open beta,limiting peoples play time,added to the long list of other knucklehead things  they have done and it seems they are heading in the wrong direction.

I wouldn't know why they never mentioned anything about 'critical bugs' in the past few phases of beta other than those bugs might not have been 'critical' in SE's eyes (like more easily fixed than what happened currently). Again, who knows.

As for the whole bit torrent thing, a lot of developers have been using it more and more in the last few years (which is reallt really annoying as I cannot stand bit torrent) as a way of saving money and their own bandwidth.

For the rest (limiting playtime, fatigue system...) the way I see it is they are not really limiting a persons playtime, but rather pushing the player to work through more jobs instead of just focusing on one. It was a problem a lot of people (specially at the NA launch) had in FFXI with just picking one job and sticking with it, essentially gimping themselves. A lot of people I know who played FFXI got frustrated because it was getting harder and harder for them to get groups because they really only focused on their main job. Basically they want players to switch up jobs and added this system in to make it more viable.

The guild leve limits just sound more like a system to encourage people to group through content (thye lock outs do seem a tad silly to me though... 48 hours is a bit lame).

But again, I will have to witness these systems first hand before I could form an actual opinion about them

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• Leonidus0Leonidus0 Member Posts: 97

I guess either A.) they had the most useless beta testers ever, B.) Squeenix is run by a bunch of incompetent morons, or C.) All of the above. Take your pick.

• DancerDancer Member Posts: 102

What if the bugs they ran into were because they were making improvements to the things that everyone has been ranting about and simply ran out of time doing those fixes.. which caused the postponement. It's possible, maybe not probable. Hey, it could happen!

• KryptyKrypty Member UncommonPosts: 454

Originally posted by Leonidus0

I guess either A.) they had the most useless beta testers ever, B.) Squeenix is run by a bunch of incompetent morons, or C.) All of the above. Take your pick.

As a beta tester, who contributed, I can tell you it certainly felt more like a demo than a beta. Almost anything the testers complained about was brushed aside, and really there was never a response at all to most bug reports AFAIK. It really killed my enthusiasm.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

Originally posted by Dancer

What if the bugs they ran into were because they were making improvements to the things that everyone has been ranting about and simply ran out of time doing those fixes.. which caused the postponement. It's possible, maybe not probable. Hey, it could happen!

I think certain things like the slow mouse they finally realized they could improve only so much.  A software mouse will never be as good as a hardware driven mouse.