Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Busiest single mmorpg game server right now?

Among all mmorpg games, which game and which server do you think has the most players online at a time, in a contiguous world?

I'm looking for the world/server/shard that feels the most packed with players. 

Comments

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Probably eve.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

Impossible to answer question, since players themselves could not answer you'd need numbers from the developers themselves, & nobody could be trusted to provide a reliable answer.

Unless of course you are doing that old chestnut "let's all make wild guesses" party game.

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481

EVE gets 50K+ players on a single server at peak times. Though unless you're in Jita it doesn't really feel all that full.

Now with 57.3% more flames!

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

Originally posted by TheHavok

Probably eve.

I'd say that is excluded since the whole game exists on an entire shared network of servers, not really "a" server since it has no others.

• mvemmrpgmvemmrpg Member Posts: 3

I probably should have said "except Eve" ;p

How about among land-based games? 

I'm seeking a game where the cities always seem to have lots of PCs around and where when you travel around it just seems there are PCs coming and going all the time.  

I know we cannot know for sure, but good guesses would be appreciated. 

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Outside of EVE, it's probably Fallen Earth or some other single-server MMO. Sharded MMOs don't seem to be designed for more than a couple thousand concurrent users, if that many.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

Originally posted by Skuz

Probably eve.

I'd say that is excluded since the whole game exists on an entire shared network of servers, not really "a" server since it has no others.

that applies to all games. I'm sure multi server games have their individual servers on shared network servers.

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

Originally posted by Skuz

Probably eve.

Every mmo is made that way. MMO's with multiple shards actually have multiple servers per shard too.

To the OP's question:

Fallen Earth in most likely hood.. what else out there has a single shard for all users? (That actually has a decent playerbase, I should add)

• HaegemonHaegemon Member UncommonPosts: 267

Ya, FE may be a good one to look at and it has free-trial.

The main cities and a good number of the newbie towns always have people running about, but it is a wasteland setting, so when your in some of the sub-regions questing or gathering materials, it can get empty.

On the flip-side, there are a good number of player-run events that always draw nice crowds. This weekend is going to be a massive Farmers-Market style event where everyone brings their wares to sell and socialize. Some other clans hold cross-sector rally-races, organize large-scale pvp faction fights(rare, but have happened).

Lets Push Things Forward

I knew I would live to design games at age 7, issue 5 of Nintendo Power.

Support games with subs when you believe in their potential, even in spite of their flaws.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

If the OP is looking for a world that feels packed, that's a slightly different question than just number of people logged in.  You don't really need to know how the player base is spread across various servers, but rather things like the average number of other players your client can see at any given time.

• mvemmrpgmvemmrpg Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by maplestone

If the OP is looking for a world that feels packed, that's a slightly different question than just number of people logged in.  You don't really need to know how the player base is spread across various servers, but rather things like the average number of other players your client can see at any given time.

There are a number of ways of looking at the question... games that have a world that feels packed would be nice to hear about too.