Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When we were young...

Emane19Emane19 Member UncommonPosts: 11

My apoligies in advance for the long post. Please share your thoughts if you get through it.

Having grown up with videogames and experiencing the transition from 16gb systems and cartridge gaming to downloadable 3D games, I expect a lot, and I expect it quickly. In the past 20 years, videogames have gone a long way. Each transition offered its on “Holy Crap” moment where I was so excited by the newness of it all and amazed at where the developers had taken the technology.

I felt the same way when I first signed on to Everquest in 2001 (I missed the MUDs and only briefly had tried Ultima Online a year or so before I dove into EQ). This was the first game that I knew of that friends and I could play together. One of my friends was already much farther into the game and had been there since the start, but others of us joined in at the same time.

Slowly we worked our way through the world, very slowly. I had to create my first character multiple times because I had no idea what I was supposed to do or where I was supposed to go and just died a few times without any idea of what to do once I lost what I had. This type of gaming was something so new to me, and so incredible. Each stage seemed to offer something new, and each stage, I was learning new things about my role in the game.

This game was still new, and I felt as though it was expanding faster than I could possibly keep up. I was already so behind, and yet, very comfortable, because so many others were there with me. The Commonlands were packed with people selling things in the tunnels, every zone I went to had people doing quests and gaining experience (mainly gaining experience). But there was something about it that kept my attention even though it was quite the grind.

Now, if you ask me to grind to the end game, I will just quit the game. Unfortunately, that is all I see games as of today. I never log into a game and feel that same uncertainty, that thrill that I felt with EQ. Perhaps it was because dying in EQ actually meant something and simply travelling from one place to another was an incredible journey with danger everywhere. What I lean towards more, is that not only were my friends and I new to EQ and the MMO community, so were most people.

Even if you had played the original MUDs or played Ultima Online, it is my understanding that EQ really changed the name of the game. The community was young and developing, and we all grew with Everquest. By the time the next games came out, EQ was not dwindling, but it was definitely getting there. I was getting tired, my friends were gone, and it became pointless to continue.

With those feelings, I left the game and tried new ones. Each game was refreshing, at first, but that feeling didn’t last long. The tutorials and quest systems made the games so linear. No longer were the games made to be giant playgrounds (or sandboxes as I often hear), and instead just streamlined to help you get from point A to point B.

The games since EQ make me miss screwing up and paying for it. I miss having to figure anything out my own. But maybe that is not the fault of the game developers, maybe it is simply a disconnect between us, the players, and them. They are creating games to an expansive population. Everquest did not guide you through the game, and the community grew based on that kind of steep learning curve. Now, the games have almost no learning curve. I can hop onto most MMOs and have a pretty good idea of what I am supposed to do and how to do it. But with EQ, I didn’t, and neither did many others.

What I am waiting for is the next game to make us go “Holy Crap.” I want something new and something incredible. I want something to bridge the gap between what we already have and the true next generation. I want grouping that requires more than space fillers, I want content that is exciting, and I want a game that won’t simply guide me down a path while giving me the semblance of choice (I want real choice!). I want quests that have stories that actually affect my character besides just simply getting experience or an item. We as a community know what we want, and we want it now.

Unfortunately, the developers cannot or will not keep up. In 20 years, video games have come so far, and in 10 years, MMOs have too, just not as far as other video games. Maybe we are spoiled, maybe not. Either way, I want something more.

Comments

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Stop waiting. There is a fundamental thing that has changed over the last 10-15 years.

In 20th century, in general, things where made by people that loved what they were doing.

In 21st century, things, in general, are made by people that love the money that they well get by doing it.

This change has happened in every aspect of life. Sports, music, movies, videogames, television.

Content creators don't see us as people to share their creations with anymore. They see us as potential costumers. And they want the maximum costumers possible. And if they have to simplify their creations to get more clients, they will do it. They have lost the love for their craft and the love for their audience.

• Snaylor47Snaylor47 Member Posts: 962

Originally posted by Metentso

Stop waiting. There is a fundamental thing that has changed over the last 10-15 years.

In 20th century, in general, things where made by people that loved what they were doing.

In 21st century, things, in general, are made by people that love the money that they well get by doing it.

No it never was, and never will.

It was always about money if you think its not then you are just ignorant.

When you were young everything was better. Hell I'am 17 years old now but in about 30-40 years I will be talking about how great it was when I was a kid when in reality it really really sucked.

Same applies to games.

I don't care about innovation I care about fun.

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

Wow wow wow wow.... wait a min.

What universe are you living in? I wanna live there too! Hook me up with a wormhole or something so I can get there.

• OhatroOhatro Member Posts: 52

This change has happened in every aspect of life. Sports, music, movies, videogames, television.

Content creators don't see us as people to share their creations with anymore. They see us as potential costumers. And they want the maximum costumers possible. And if they have to simplify their creations to get more clients, they will do it. They have lost the love for their craft and the love for their audience.

Despite the 'life lesson' from the seventeen year old, and the alternate reality history lesson from the post below that, this is certainly a factor.  There is a lot of literature coming out to support how this is negatively impacting western society, including the rise of extreme materialism and narcissism.  And this is a recent trend, as in the last couple decades.

Of course money was a factor, but it did not drive production to the levels it does now.  Video games were not run by multi-billion dollar corporations, who answered to stock holders first back then.  They didn't use focus testing to see which audiences they could attract.  They barely advertised outside of game specific magazines.

Read any  developer blogs, they are full of complaints about crappy working conditions, unrealistic schedules and ideas being stalled by the suits.   I am not looking for it, but there was a bunch of great posts by Raph Koster ( I am not a fan, I don't care either way) dealing with SOE and SWG.  He did not want jedi to be in the game.  Well we all know how that turned out...

Of course money drives the world, but a couple decades ago, the corporations were not involved yet, and game designers basically made games they thought they wanted to play.  Once ti became a billion dollar industry, suits, focus group testing, the largest market base possible, and lowest costs for that market, all trump everything else.  It was not always like this.  Maniac Mansion on my commodore 64 was more complex than these current mmorpgs.