Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Basic FTP questions

Hello all,

Currently without a mmorpg. FTP appeals to me because I don't get to play much anymore but would like to duo with my son on occassion.

I don't mind buying a new game but I have two expired accounts in EQ2.

1. Which game is doing the best job of implementing FTP?

2. Is everyone mixing FTP with Premium members or are some separating it into separate servers?

3. Can you still buy player crafted items on the broker?

Thanks.

Comments

• BMoorBMoor Member Posts: 202

1. "best" is a relative term and it'll be based on personal opinion.  What type of gameplay are you looking for?  It's better to figure out the type of game you want to play, then figure out the game title from that (it could be a console game, P2P, F2P, etc), and then look at the business model.  Note that if you're going solely with F2P, it'll be like looking for a needle in a haystack.  You'll get many duds but maybe you may find the gem.  Fortunately, it's free to try.  Just don't spend anything for the first month to make sure you actually like it.

2. It depends on the game itself but most that I've seen mixes people.

3. By broker, do you mean an auction house?  A place where players can sell their wares?  It also depends on the game.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

I have only played one F2P so I am by no means an authority. I have heard, (meaning double check me on this) that some of the western, used to be P2P but turned F2P games have at least some of the content tied to the payment model. This means you can play some of the game but not all of it, being limited from certain areas or races or classes. This doesn't strike me as F2P so much as endless trial but that is just my opinion. Be sure to compare it against games that are free but encourage you to buy stuff for convienence. But otherwise don't limit you from content.

With this in mind, you should at least check out Perfect World.  You can play all classes, all races, all zones all the way to the level cap without ever spending a dime. You can get inventory expansions and mounts in game though quests but they do make it very easy to spend a little cash to get extra space or get your cool flying mount 20 levels sooner. Having extra bag space is pretty nice. So realistically, unless you are very diciplined and want the challenge. plan on spending some one time cash on your favorite character. As for things like Hyper exp stones, you can really do without them. Just enjoy the game for what it is. Even with stones it takes forever to level up. In NA and EU there are no max level characters after two years in release. There are 18 lvl 103s but no 104s or 105s. The game is not designed around getting to max level and then playing the end game. It is designed around getting to the 90s to get into the endgame and then slowly progressing by getting the last few levels. But at the end of the day, you really can play the whole game without spending a dime. I should also point out that it is possible to get cash shop gold with in game coin. The game supports the trading of cash shop gold for the in game currency called coin, so if you are good at grinding coin you can trade it for credit in the cash shop and still get some of those items. This also allows people to pay cash essentially to buy game coin for what ever gear they may be looking for.  Just depends if you have the money to waste.

This is not to say that you shouldn't play LotRO or EQ2Extended. Both were great games as P2P so I expect they will still be great games. I just don't know how there cash shops are structured.

All die, so die well.