Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I don't understand how anyone gets past the combat?

13»

Comments

• akahdrinakahdrin Member Posts: 17

I didn't search through the pages here, just answering to the OP.

Everquest does have a bit dull melee experience.  But the question is, would you rather just hit auto attack and if you forget to kick it's not that big of deal or would you rather just spam every ability as it comes off cooldown.

In my eyes, melee experiences in other games are equally boring as they don't really do much other than hit abilities as they become available.  I'd rather just hit auto attack and take it easy ;)

But if you want a different experience, trying being a caster.

Just remember that the fights in EQ are suppose to be longer, they're not like WoW.  Risk versus reward!

Currently playing Everquest on Project1999

• exhellexhell Member UncommonPosts: 37

Originally posted by qombi

EQ Live is ruined pile of garbage now. It is so mixed up with layers of layers of noncohesive junk. EQ up to the trilogy was great.

I know of a private game project that is busy with activity though, pm me if you would like to know the game I am playing.

That's your opinion, and sounds like a crappy one at that. EQ has only gotten better over the years, but for whomever can't or doesn't have a good attitude when they play it, no game will live up to your expectations for long. EQ isn't friendly to people who leave and come back after years. Though it's easier to catch up then it always has been! There is no hurry up and win button though.

There is more to do in EQ than ever before, and it's 90% attitude.

Once you lose it, the magic is gone.

• NamicaNamica Member Posts: 71

I really do hope that EQ stays for a good long time. Anyone know anything about current subs? It and EQ2 (used to be vanguard to, but, well, it's dead) are the only games left with any sort of exploration, and EQ1 is the only MMO left with group play being a social experience rather than a SPAM SPAM SPAM LOOT OK BYE! (especially now that FFXIV is a TOTAL SPAM FEST unlike its more restrained  prequel)

I'm played again after 7 years, and I still remember so much from the game because it was such an amazing experience. I can go back to WoW after a year and not feel a thing aside from the occasional "oh yeah, I remember that one time" because nowadays games aren't about socializing with random people, you socialize with a small group of people and ignore others. If you group you seldom talk and it's all about getting the loot. It sucks, and it sucks that I know one day MMORPGs will be dead to me as games like EQ die and never again return while the MMO that play more and more like Devil May Cry and Baldurs gate with a focus on making your e-peen huge THRIVE.

EDIT:

Also, the idea that quests should be something special is something that will be sorely missed. For example WoW has these quests that net you an awesome weapon at the end, a whooping two of them in the new expansion, and two (stretching, the quests were stupidly easy, just hard to get the loot to start) in vanilla. Players ate that shit up, but I didn't, because from rather early on (Kunark I think) EQ had one of these for EVERY SINGLE CLASS. 

Same went with the only other MMO I've really really loved, FFXI. Pretty much the only quests were story quests, and they were so well done and memorable that even now I can even name some of the NPC's that were part of them. What does WoW have?

"Lol Mankrik's wife!" or "Thassarians sister almost died, let's feel bad for him even though we don't know a single thing about him!"

• midmagicmidmagic Member Posts: 614

Slower combat aids the social experience. Not everyone can mash the right button in the right order every tenth of a second and carry on a coversation while maintaining proper character position, even with voice chat. Some of us that can, really, really do not want to. There are other game for that.

The UI and its clunkiness was complaigned about to death back in the day but SoE refused to spend the resources to make things more intuitive because of the extensive rewrite it would take it fix. People understand the pain but they get used to it and ignore it.

Forever looking for employment. Life is rather dull without it.