Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Tanks: Not Exactly an MMO

12346»

Comments

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Originally posted by cludinsk

official post on clan wars (persistent territory gain/loss):

http://game.worldoftanks.com/news/general_news/clan_wars_details_revealed

Excuse me while I chortle at such an inane attempt to achieve persistence.  They don't even understand what the word means in the genre.  But in your defense, MMORPG already covers games that really fall far short of what persistence really means.

I read this too and a couple of thoughts came to mind;

They talk about battles 'once per day'?  I wonder how they will schedule that? 

It will either lock out the low pop time zones...

OR

people will rapidly become annoyed by the '3am Ninja attacks'

Other games have tried this mechanic and it has caused all sorts of problems.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• ed_angered_anger Member UncommonPosts: 60

Excuse me while I chortle at such an inane attempt to achieve persistence.  They don't even understand what the word means in the genre.  But in your defense, MMORPG already covers games that really fall far short of what persistence really means.

yeah, there's no elves, i got it.

• ed_angered_anger Member UncommonPosts: 60

Originally posted by Gyrus

I read this too and a couple of thoughts came to mind;

They talk about battles 'once per day'?  I wonder how they will schedule that? 

It will either lock out the low pop time zones...

OR

people will rapidly become annoyed by the '3am Ninja attacks'

Other games have tried this mechanic and it has caused all sorts of problems.

there will be a world map, and you can only attack a territory in the evening that territory is set in. so for a US territory, US evening, russian territory, russina evening. basically clans will end up fighting over territories in their own time zone, but if you want to attack at noon in europe from the US nothing is stopping you.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Originally posted by nachofoot

The game is a MMOFPS with rpg elements.   mmorpg.com really can't decide what's a MMO or what's not if they don't use their heads.

Basic definition is what it is:  Massively Multiplayer.  There are over a thousand players connected at one time to ONE server.

Doh where is the persistence?  Right there is none, hence not a MMO period!  They did say they have some changes coming down the road that might change that, but at the moment it just is not a MMO.

Yes there is. I think you have your definitions confused.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• orzelek88orzelek88 Member Posts: 1

WOT is really great game. It has won best concept award on E3 2010.

• ukforzeukforze Member Posts: 331

Depsite mmorpg.com editors saying they would remove it in a 'few days' ...its over 9 months on & still

no sign of being declassified as an MMO? 

*Edit*

Before i get trolled, I am playing WoT & enjoying it, depesite it's frustrations,

but its no more of an mmo than CoD or BF2

The Deathstar destroyed planets...Lucas Arts destroyed Galaxies

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    Played:
    SWG | EVE | WOW | VG | LOTRO | WAR | FML | STO | APB | AOC | MORTAL | WOT | BP | SW:TOR