Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You don't need a $1,500 PC to run FFXIV

just thought I'de post this for people who wanna play but don't want to spend too much :)

http://www.linkshells.com/content.php?125-You-don-t-need-a-1-500-PC-to-run-FFXIV

Comments

• ChainspellChainspell Member Posts: 55

did you get into beta? lol not me... im still kinda bitter about that, oh well

• Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683

I didn't *pout* And I thought I had a good PC.......Guess I need quad 5870s or something to get in.....my mobo supports it.....hmmmmmmmm

--Custom Rig: Pyraxis---
    NZXT Phantom 410 Case
    Intel Core i5-4690 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB Smart Cache, 3.5GHz
    Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
    Asus GeForce GTX 760 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
    Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB

• imaginaimagina Member Posts: 104

I have a Q6600 2.4GHZ overclocked to 3 ghz (that processor is quite safe for overclocking and does surprisingly not get very "hot" or warm, with a good motherboard you can even go to 3.4Ghz easyly, very stable quad core there.)

4 GB ddr2 800 mhz

Geforce 275 GTX

Gigabyte Q6 m/board

i spent like maximum 580 euros (assuming u have the very "basic" skills on setting up a computer by yourself which is very easy to do these day, it's almost all about "plug everything" on the motherboard, assembling yourself a computer is quite easy and save lots of money. )

On this computer i could get the game to play smoothly with almost everything at max (except for Antialias that i only use in X2  with a 22 inch monitor 1600 X 1050 résolution  ).

If this can run it pretty well with almost everything at max settings lower / cheaper configurations must be able to run it with medium graphics settings, but nowaday no one is ever satysfied by playing something at minimum - middle graphics settings isn't it ? ^^

ps : yes i have played the beta.

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

Did u actually test it in game or r u just  judged it by the benchmark (btw what scores u got with the old system anyway?)

I am asking since the Benchmark run smoothly on my laptop but i am certain the game will not (didn't even get 1k points)

• LowdosLowdos Member Posts: 644

The beta was very much so GPU dependant, but you certainly dont need a top of the line rig to play the game smoothly on med/high settings. 

A quick dual-core processor, 4 gigs ram and a modern 1gb GFX card should yield you much better results than what the benchmark may suggest.

• imaginaimagina Member Posts: 104

I've played the beta (phase 1 to 3) and the benchmark gave me a score of 3780 without o/c (wich is already "good" to make it run quite smoothly) and got up to 4250 with overclocking, thinking about trying to get over 3ghz but my Operating system gets unstable and i get artifacts in game, even if the graphic card never goes up to 70 °C, my actual motherboard does'nt support it past 3ghz.

• Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683

I just hope that the game uses all six cores of my cpu.........it'll be annoying if it doesn't

--Custom Rig: Pyraxis---
    NZXT Phantom 410 Case
    Intel Core i5-4690 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB Smart Cache, 3.5GHz
    Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
    Asus GeForce GTX 760 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
    Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JonnyBigBossJonnyBigBoss Member UncommonPosts: 702

If you know how to build a computer yourself (it isn't hard, just be careful about static) then you can build a PC that'll run it on medium settings for about $650 out the door.

• Proximo521Proximo521 Member UncommonPosts: 283

Originally posted by imagina

I have a Q6600 2.4GHZ overclocked to 3 ghz (that processor is quite safe for overclocking and does surprisingly not get very "hot" or warm, with a good motherboard you can even go to 3.4Ghz easyly, very stable quad core there.)

4 GB ddr2 800 mhz

Geforce 275 GTX

Gigabyte Q6 m/board

i spent like maximum 580 euros (assuming u have the very "basic" skills on setting up a computer by yourself which is very easy to do these day, it's almost all about "plug everything" on the motherboard, assembling yourself a computer is quite easy and save lots of money. )

On this computer i could get the game to play smoothly with almost everything at max (except for Antialias that i only use in X2  with a 22 inch monitor 1600 X 1050 résolution  ).

If this can run it pretty well with almost everything at max settings lower / cheaper configurations must be able to run it with medium graphics settings, but nowaday no one is ever satysfied by playing something at minimum - middle graphics settings isn't it ? ^^

ps : yes i have played the beta.

I have a Q6600 as well. I have it OC'd at 4.0ghz. I know alot of people have said that you shouldnt but I have been running it like that for months now and with air cooling! I wouldnt recommend it unless you have the fans and the fans have been set up correctly in the case. I am pretty impressed with this chip and cannot believe the heat resistance. I have Real Temp installed and have set up the warnings to notify me if it should go down. I love this chip!!

Q6600 2.4ghz OC'd to 4.0ghz.

GTX 460 Fermi

4gb of DDR2 1066 ram

MB Gigabyte Ultra Durable 3

• NekrataalNekrataal Member Posts: 557

Yeah, I have a Q6600 too & its a damn good chip to Oc.

Got to be carefull to get the GO stepping though, not the B one.

It'll have SLACR at the end of the product code on the box. Look for it.

Mine is Oc's at 3.2 ( thinking on going 3.4 ) & even under load it stays quite cool. I love it.

As for the gpu, I have a 8800 gts 512 that I oc'd a bit. I'm pretty sure I'll be just fine for now. I'll wait til the new next gen of gpu's come out (they are just around the corner) so that this gen gpu's , which can easily play the game at max, price goes down a notch.

• TanaiiTanaii Member Posts: 41

I've participated on 2 different computers.......one with an Nvidia 8800 GT, and one with an ATI HD 5970.   I must say the 5970 is overkill in some ways.   The 8800 GT did just fine.   The only problem I saw was ping/network lag issues.   FFXIV said all this is on the mend and will for the most part be corrected as they open up the servers completely. 

• MisterSrMisterSr Member UncommonPosts: 928

Yup, I actually do have a 1,700 dollar computer... I got like a 3k on my score, and I was upset, only later when I played beta did I realize that I could play the game with superb graphics and great performance. Age of Conan had great graphics (not as nice as FFXIV btw), but it's performance was the worst... just terrible. 

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

well its a ps3 release come march, and the ps3 hasnt changed hardware in 5 years, theyve made them smaller and cooler running, but its the same horsepower it was at release.  all they need to do for the pcs is optimize it to run on the various parts people use, which will take some time due to various nvidia/ati driver builds, potential conflicts, and all that jazz, but in the end if your pc is = to or more powerfull then a ps3, it will run ff14 fine.  

disclaimer: standard console port issues may apply.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by Electro057

I just hope that the game uses all six cores of my cpu.........it'll be annoying if it doesn't

There are very few games written that optimise onto six or twelve cores...a descent GPU is more critical than have 6 plus cores for most gaming.
  • sadboysadboy Member Posts: 66

Originally posted by neorandom

well its a ps3 release come march, and the ps3 hasnt changed hardware in 5 years, theyve made them smaller and cooler running, but its the same horsepower it was at release.  all they need to do for the pcs is optimize it to run on the various parts people use, which will take some time due to various nvidia/ati driver builds, potential conflicts, and all that jazz, but in the end if your pc is = to or more powerfull then a ps3, it will run ff14 fine.  

disclaimer: standard console port issues may apply.

True but PS3 runs at a very low colour count so running a P.C at a high res of 1920x1080 and above would not really be comparable to PS3. The game does run fine on GTX8800 which isnt the greatest of cards so anyone with ATI 5770 or above would have a nice game experience on P.C just the control system would fustrate them

• TajnarTajnar Member Posts: 12

Well I agree that you don't need a 1.500$ pc but it would certainly help :P

And for performance the game still seems very picky on how well it runs even if pc setups are nearly identical.

I have by no means a hardcore system maybe midrange because of my cpu.

Currently running: Win7; C2D E6700@3GHZ 4GB Ram and 275GTX Twin(something) and at least I had a very difficult time running the beta smoothly on lower mid settings.

• Nataku17Nataku17 Member UncommonPosts: 12

i can't even get the benchmark to run on my laptop =/ just gives me a "has stopped responding" error every time, someone once told me this happens if my specs arnt good enough

my laptop has an i7 q720, 4gb of ram and an ATI HD 4670.