Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any new MMOs similiar to Darkfall coming out?

Crcata21Crcata21 Member Posts: 1

Excluding mortal online which so far is just as big a fail?  Darkfall online was extremely fun, but due to some issues which were never fixed completely, the game has lost most of its playerbase and now is severely lackign in population and has become work to just find people outside of the very few "Pvp hotspots".  So i quit along with most people and more will follow to a point i dont think the game will be alive for more than a few more months after teh expansion.  Anyways enough rambling, are there any similar games coming out i could possibly look at?

Comments

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Ok, now I just have to ask: what the hell is fun about Darkfall ?

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

I hope not.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

It depends on what you mean with a game like DF.

A sandbox game with an large open world, yes. World of darkness online to mention one.

A MMOFPS game that is twitchbased? Sure, APB just got out and there will be some kind of battlefield game in an open world too.

A game extremely similar to DF in all aspects? No, DF never did that good so anyone else in their right mind would want to clone it. Mortal online was also similar in many ways and doesn't do good either.

Of course do both MO and DF have inexperienced indie devs and low budget but most competent devs would not risk the large sums a good MMO actually takes to make to make something like that. The whole full loot thing turns off many players.

It is impossible to say what the future will bring but unless they actually can do like CCP did with Eve and fix up the game and turn it around and don't see anyone else trying the same. There will be other games that have some of the aspects of course but they still will most likely be very different.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Originally posted by rav3n2

I hope not.

Um, would that matter ? Nobody forces you to play a MMO you dont like.

I certainly never had any intention of playing Darkfall. Any motive to do so vanished from reading the Wikipedia page about it alone. What a hell of a stupid game idea.

And when I once checked their forums, it was exactly like I expected: they where mostly discussing about how to farm more CON so they would have more HP for PvP.

A game where you nothing but farm CON ? Oooh exciting. Sounds totally like fun !

And the skills where even WORSE than I expected. You could just learn them all, and use them all at the same time. Hardly any mechanism to introduce any balance. It was Morrowind all over: everyone is a Fighter/Rogue/Wizard. Except one or two of the skilltrees where very hard to train, or so I've read.

Thats exactly why I hate games without classes. No balance, no variance, no depth.

Plus skill trees where pretty much copies of each other: seen one, seen them all. Very few abilities in each, and often just damage, damage, damage. Meh.

Originally posted by Adamantine

Thats exactly why I hate games without classes. No balance, no variance, no depth.

That is just wrong. Many pen and paper games have no classes and still works fine. It is just a matter of choosing a number of skills and abilities yourself, pratically making your own class.

Warriors who also use magic is nothing new in fantasy Fafhrd and Gray Mouser did that before WW2, but to balance things you have to force people to choose some skills.

Darkfall doesn't and that turns balance down the drain (well everyone can learn everything but it makes the balance between newer and older player horrible).

But is is fine to have classless games, you just have to think a bit before making one. P&P games without classes: Vampire (and all WoD games, they do however have bloodlines that affects starter powers but nothing for skills), ARS magica, Amber, GURPS and many more. they are all working fine and balanced, but you just can't have everything in them.

See it as good classless games make you create your own class. That forces you to balance all skill against eachother either with a point system or straight off and is a lot of work but it is not bad.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

wile i personaly never liked DF very much even thou i played it for 2 monts or so  i am currently playing and enjoying MO quite a bit. unfortunately it is true that MO is a very broken game and i have my doubts on whether it will ever be completely fixed or even polished to the point that it can be called a finished game. still it's the furthest thing from a WoW clone and that in it'self is very refreshing.

having sed that there are no other confirmed games that fit that particular genre. by that i mean a first person shooter style fantasy sandbox mmo with a large non instanced world.

there have been rumors about Batishda making an Oblivion mmo but nothing has been confirmed. right now it will take some serious cojones  for any large company to try and make such a game after seeing what happened to DF and MO. as it stands right now it seems that these games can only spell financiall suicide.

i serioulsy hope that someone of the big gaming companies takes up the challange but untill then games like DF and MO will have to suffice.  

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

wile i personaly never liked DF very much even thou i played it for 2 monts or so  i am currently playing and enjoying MO quite a bit. unfortunately it is true that MO is a very broken game and i have my doubts on whether it will ever be completely fixed or even polished to the point that it can be called a finished game. still it's the furthest thing from a WoW clone and that in it'self is very refreshing.

having sed that there are no other confirmed games that fit that particular genre. by that i mean a first person shooter style fantasy sandbox mmo with a large non instanced world.

there have been rumors about Batishda making an Oblivion mmo but nothing has been confirmed. right now it will take some serious cojones  for any large company to try and make such a game after seeing what happened to DF and MO. as it stands right now it seems that these games can only spell financiall suicide.

i serioulsy hope that someone of the big gaming companies takes up the challange but untill then games like DF and MO will have to suffice.  

Bethesda do have a MMO department and had so for several years. But what exactly they are making is unknown, most people guess it is a fallout MMO since they are suing Black isle for making one, it is kinda a mess.

Even if they make an Elder scroll MMO we can't be sure if it is a sandbox even if that is a good guess, and they will probably have levels like all Elder scroll games have even i skills and levels might be separate.

They are really making a MMO but saying it is something similar to DF or MO is pure speculations.

As for MO they are kinda doing a spiral of death, the game have few players so they can't afford to polish it up meaning they get few players... DF kinda have a similar problem but they have at least fixed some things.

This is kinda the problem with niche games, the companies that makes them have little budget and can rarely get a really good programmer, companies like Blizzard, Valve and similar takes them because they can pay better.

• Ebra68Ebra68 Member Posts: 12

Darkfall has exactly the ruleset i like but the grind to be competative is really bad.Im not talking about getting ready to kill noobs here, im talking competative on the highest lvl.

Im also looking for a sandbox game with pvp...but i cant see anything on the horizon.Hopefully SWTOR or GW2 will have good enough pvp, but i doubt it.

/sigh

Favorite Games Played :Asherons Call Darktide - Shadowbane - DaOC PvP

• jaffrojonesjaffrojones Member Posts: 42

Dawntide (http://www.dawntide.net/) is an open world sandbox game that's in "open beta". It is early in it's infancy. I would say it just turned 13, so you have to keep that in mind if you decide to join us in playing it. I think it has great potential, and the developers have made great strides just recently. If you don't decide you want to play it to help the developers make a possibly great game, you should at least keep your eyes on it.

• sultharsulthar Member Posts: 298

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

Id say anything out of the fail Wow clone would be refreshing... make a good clone it would be refreshing... but then again Wow hater post...