Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOTRO Goes Free to Play?

Hey everyone! I Just noticed that a lot of people are talking about LOTRO. Well,i've never played it but it looks AMAZING! Since there making it free to play. I would like everyone to know that. Well,I was also wondering if anyone knew when exactly( The Date)  its gonna be free to play that way im ready to play it. I know it says this Fall.

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

http://www.lotro.com/betasignup/vipchart.html

Here is the difference between all three account types..thought you might find it useful. 

VIP= People who are paying for sub. 

Premium= Someone who has bought TP 

Free = ...well the people who are free lol. 

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

EQ2 just turned free to play. I'm playing it for free now.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• LuthainnLuthainn Member Posts: 19

Oh,Thank you everybody! And Equipo,REALLY!? I didnt even know that! I gotta check it out. Thanks everyone (:

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

Oh my, only 200$ per year for platinum access in EQ 2? Yeah ... thats a ... interesting deal.

I mean what would you get for that on LotRO? Pah, just a lifetime membership with full access on the EU servers.

Kidding aside the two services are remarkably similar, yet something in that Membership comparsion of them doesnt sit well with me. I dont like the extra step between Gold and Platinum members for one. Its one thing to have a VIP subscription, further dividing that again between those that pay monthy, and those that pay more and bound themselves longer ... i dont like it. I also find it strange that only Gold or Platinum members can send mail, might not be a big deal, but strange imho. Well and "In-Game Pop-up Advertising" with "Frequent Upgrade Reminders" doesnt sound to hot either.

"Shop within a robust in-game marketplace containing power-up potions, armor, classes, races, weapons, mounts and more".

Would be interesting how the Armor, Weapons and power up potions out of the store work out compared to gameworld drops. I have got the feeling though that SoE is going to take the shop dependence in everyday gameplay quite a bit further than Turbine. 

"Active EverQuest II Live subscription accounts (in good standing) are eligible to purchase a $35.00 USD (one per character) "character copy" token to duplicate a character and some of its data over to the EverQuest II Extended service."

Thats another good deal for loyal subscribers i guess ... 

Also the 500 Station Cash stipend stipend seems a little lackluster, their SF expansion goes at 4300 points, while turbine takes less than 2000 for Mirkwood or Moria. And those 200$ a year really, really do not sit well with me ...

Yeah,with me like I never tryied Everquest,I always wanted to. But I knew that there was alot of memberships for each and everyone and it was kinda annoying. And I just installed it,and for the free version you only get like 6 classes out of like 16? Well,they couldve added a little more. And on the side,you have to "BUY" some of the races? Like really!?! Are they trying to outplay WoW or something? It just sounds like there trying to make money off of it. Well duhh,but I mean like crazy money.

Originally posted by Luthainn

Yeah,with me like I never tryied Everquest,I always wanted to. But I knew that there was alot of memberships for each and everyone and it was kinda annoying. And I just installed it,and for the free version you only get like 6 classes out of like 16? Well,they couldve added a little more. And on the side,you have to "BUY" some of the races? Like really!?! Are they trying to outplay WoW or something? It just sounds like there trying to make money off of it. Well duhh,but I mean like crazy money.

Well they do have to make some money, they are running servers and have developers working on the game so someone somehow has to pay to make all of it happen. That being said, Sony Online Entertainment does have a less than stellar reputation among MMO gamers.

And i didnt hear that many complementary things about their Item shop either, that was before this F2P offer though, when they ran it only on certain servers.

Just a headsup btw, LotRO F2P will have 2 classes for sale. Namely the Warden and Runekeeper added in the MoM expansion. To be more clear, everyone still has to buy the expansions, no matter your subscription. All the content that came with them is still tied to them, and all advantages they bring(2 new classes, +2 charslots, +15 levels) still fully apply no matter your subscription. Only difference now is that you can buy them with Turbine Points aswell, which you can earn ingame.

Playing LotRO completely without buying anything though would be hard, or better said tedious and mindnumbingly boring, depending on your goal that is. I know some people are going to play the game purely for the RP and the community(so what, its free).  People need to keep in mind that if you earn 2k TPs and spend them your still a free player, while someone that buys the smallest amount possible and spends it will be a premium member.

• Matt_UKMatt_UK Member Posts: 420

I've played through all the content now on LOTRO and i'm raiding and skirmishing most of the time. I have a lifetime sub and was a founder, so i'm already F2P. What worries me is that there will be no more expansions. This game has always suffered from a long time between expansions, we're still only in Mirkwood and Lorien, still haven't reached Rohan and Isengard even after several years of playing.

Unfortunately i'm now afraid we'll never get to Gondor, which means that the whole game and all our time invested since the launch will have been a waste of time. I started playing this game thinking i'd be standing in Minas Tirith and a 90th level Lord of Middle Earth by now, instead i'm still standing around in Mirkwood and 45th level, killing Orcs and spiders. Very disappointing.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Originally posted by Matt_UK

I've played through all the content now on LOTRO and i'm raiding and skirmishing most of the time. I have a lifetime sub and was a founder, so i'm already F2P. What worries me is that there will be no more expansions. This game has always suffered from a long time between expansions, we're still only in Mirkwood and Lorien, still haven't reached Rohan and Isengard even after several years of playing.

Unfortunately i'm now afraid we'll never get to Gondor, which means that the whole game and all our time invested since the launch will have been a waste of time. I started playing this game thinking i'd be standing in Minas Tirith and a 90th level Lord of Middle Earth by now, instead i'm still standing around in Mirkwood and 45th level, killing Orcs and spiders. Very disappointing.

From what I know all Turbine said is that they havent decided if there will be major expansions or just content updates after f2p launch. They alredy announced that Isengard is coming next year so Im guessing it i will be an expansion. The question is if th y are makaing a full expansion like MoM or a mini expansion like SoM. Either way I think F2P will mean that we will see more content added than before and get to Gondor/Mordor faster.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

I think if F2P is successful then we will be seeing more expansion, same as DDO online.

Well I hope anyway..seeing Gondor is my dream lol. 

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• kingtommyboykingtommyboy Member Posts: 543

Originally posted by SgtFrog

I think if F2P is successful then we will be seeing more expansion, same as DDO online.

Well I hope anyway..seeing Gondor is my dream lol. 

/agree, I also hope we can see the lonely mountain one day :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    waiting for ... nothing..

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

WOW...a warning for me. lol  In case I offended anyone else with my false offer to take lifetime subscriptions off your hands. I apologize. I was making a point to all those who claim their lifer subs are worthless after LOTRO goes F2P. Again.. I happily pay for my sub monthly and was merely making a point not asking for a handout ....but then again..you probably don't know what I am talking about because the moderator has nothing better  to do than justify a lost sense of humor. Rules are rules I guess. Ridiculous.

Ahh I see....

Yeah,better off getting a fully nice F2P MMo,with item mall or someting >.>...

People need to keep in mind that LotRO wont be your usual F2P MMO, unless you know DDO it can be a bit confusing.

Most F2P MMOs have a store based around consumables, i.e. you need to buy gems to upgrade your gear, which you naturally keep changing. While LotRO and DDO are based around a content type store, i.e. you buy a instance/zone to go to and aquire your stuff. Most people not used to F2P are more comfortable with this model as we are used to have to pay for new expansions, we dont have a problem paying 40$ for a big expansion, so we dont have a problem paying 7$ for a single Zone either.

To alleviate fears, this store model practically forces Turbine to release new content regularly since you cant keep the gameservers up on healthpots and cosmetics alone. Even if future content would require those healthpots, which is the greatest fear people currently seem to have, this still wouldnt work well since LotRO is a traditional MMO where only a minority even gets to run the hardest content(unlike say WoW who made a huge effort to make their hero instances and raids more accessible). 

Not to mention that the game currently is topheavy content wise. The last 15 levels of zones and content(and all raids/highend instances) are included in only 2 items in the Shop, and many of the current playerbase already own them. Turbine has a very big incentive to release new content that appeals to as many people as possible, i.e. contains new landmasses, new raids, new crafting tiers/recipes etc.

In other words if Turbine had planned to go into maintenance mode there would have been better F2P models.