Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to ensure the WoW killers success

Well if/when the WoW killer drops on the world(what a great day it will be) I'm sure you'll all snap out of your transes and wonder why you devoted so much time to the game, or any game realy. But before the messiah arrives there are some things we all must do. We must go and pray at the high chapel of....oh...im thinking of the wrong thing...

but realy theres a few rules to know to ensure that the WoW killer will succeed and liberate humanity from its slave master known only as "sir blizzard".

Rule 1: and i cant stress this enough...whoever the WoW killer is...DONT TALK ABOUT IT. Dont make posts saying "Game A is going to be the WoW killer!!" dont tell your friends dont even hint at it. This will leave the haters and fanbois confused and force them to spread their troll forces across all up-and-coming titles. We must keep the WoW killer a secret, for it and everyone elses sake!

Rule 2:And this is probably the most important rule. DONT COMPARE IT TO WOW. Just dont do it. I know the urge will be there. I know some of you have special keyboards specifically designed to compare a game to WoW. But you have to realize that any game that shares a genre with another game is bound to have some of or most of the features as its neighbor. Its like buying a house. All houses have pretty much the same thing. A roof, flooring(tile, hardwood, carpet), doors, windows, stairs(maybe), Kitchen, etc. But is your house a clone of your neighbors house? it has all of these things( and maybe more :o!!!)...Dont compare the WoW killer to WoW if you want it to kill it.

Rule 3: Be open minded. Know that for the messiah to be successful it has to be different. and i mean VERY DIFFERENT! Unlike anything we've ever seen. So you're going to have to go in with an open mind.

Rule 4: IT CANT BE KOREAN. period. Don't get me wrong korean mmos are great. but they please a very small market....the koreans(sorry to generalize). Theyre usually very grindy, Have lack-luster graphics, merciless pvp-systems, and i think theres like one little asian man who does all of the art work for all the korean mmo's. But seriously to kill a western Giant you need a western Giant. Using a korean grinder would be like putting out a fire with gasoline. Players would move to it find out its "just another cookie cutter asian grindhouse" and they would quickly resub to WoW reconnect with their old guild and get back to raiding.

Rule 5: When it is released, as evil as this sounds, it will need trolls and fanbois to defend it. A game without its trolls mindlessly following it is like a car with no wheels. You need people to tirelessly defend their game and to troll those all the nonbelievers. Its part of how WoW has survived. Its very dedicated fanbois have an entire legion of minions and murlocks at their command. Such a show of force hasnt been seen since the days of the death star and Darth Vader's heavy breathing over the intercom.

and the last and final rule: Community. It needs the good and the bad. It needs the carebears; it needs the trolls; it needs the fanbois and the heretics alike; outcasts 15 year olds and yes even mac users(gasp!).

If we follow these rules I think the WoW killer will come along and if not kill WoW atleast constantly compete with it. Lets make blizzard sweat alittle.

////////////
function()
{
runescape != goodgame;
}

Comments

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

I think it will proberbly have to be a popular franchise , done by a decent company with a long history of well produced games , not rushed out , most likly a totally different setting from the fantasy one but with fantasy elements (possibly scifi so Blizzard would'nt be able to match its gameplay unless they blasted all thier elves ,taurens and wotnot into space) . Now I wonder what game could possibly tick all those boxes lol .

• KaldoreiKaldorei Member Posts: 12

So true! Unless blizzard makes the next WOW-killer :). Which i would enjoy because they have tons of money to dump into it

Child of the Stars

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757

Rule 6: Stop caring about a wow killer and just hope for more diverse games, each catering to their segment. 

As has been said before, we don't need a new "king".

• Deathwing980Deathwing980 Member UncommonPosts: 80

7. If all else fails, go back to old school MMO's where it really was fun, IE: ULTIMA ONLINE! WHERE EVERYTHING WAS TOUGH AS HELL BUT FUN!

that or wait till World of Starcraft comes out, seriously thats the untittled game they are working on!

and in the world of other games, i will not speak of this game but the company that everyone loves and adores for tabletopping has a serious chance to beat the shit out of WoW fanatics if their "fanbois" start getting off their asses and spamming the net...

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Figure out how to win over the gamiong marke tin Asia and you'll kill WoW in a heartbeat because that is where the majority of subscribers are. Why do you think Blizzard freaked out so much when they closed down WoW in China ?

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Originally posted by AvatarBlade

Rule 6: Stop caring about a wow killer and just hope for more diverse games, each catering to their segment. 

As has been said before, we don't need a new "king".

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• NeikenNeiken Member Posts: 254

People on this forum have been talking about a WoW killer for years now. Its now like a mythical creature, ufo's. We talk about them, some claim they've seen them, but they're no where to be found. And we hold out hope that one day someone will find/discover them. But they wont. Ever. GG

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864

Originally posted by ReallyNow10

For a game to be a "WOW Killer", I think the number one rule is to NOT IMPLEMENT WEIRD DESIGNS.

Stuff that has killed recent MMO's:

1. All characters have wings (not everyone wants to play a winged character, even if flight is a major advantage)

2. Two-realm PVP (WTF!  Who came up with this lame idea)

3. Linear cutscene gameplay (Who wants to play in a "movie" and only occasionally be allowed to participate?)

4. Overly instanced design (The "MM" in MMORPG means "Massively Multiplayer" for a reason, you know)

5. All characters are uber (i.e., fallen heroes, destined-to-save-the-world.  Look, if everyone is uber, then no one is uber)

6. Overly involved quests (if you have to click through more than one dialogue box to pick up a quest, your time is being wasted)

7. Overly long tutorials (A tutorial is meant to show a player how to move and fight. Period.  20-level-long tutorials are stupid)

so you mean don't make a game like GW?

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Originally posted by ReallyNow10

1. All characters have wings (not everyone wants to play a winged character, even if flight is a major advantage)

Oh, that would go over real well with players I'm sure.

Heh

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• lotuspodlotuspod Member Posts: 20

ITT: People wanting WoW to fail just because it is popular.

I myself have played wow and have yet quit and am waiting on Rift, but that doesn't mean I want it to be killed. Blizzard made something revolutionary and I hope they continue to get the fruits of thier labor.

• endersshadowendersshadow Member Posts: 296

If a WoW Killer really did arrive, then people would have another game to hate more than WoW.

• XxjagoxXXxjagoxX Member Posts: 148

i tried to play wow twice.. once  by myself, and once when co-workers force me to play with them... both times i could not get into it.. while i lover other blizz games such as diablo 1 and 2  n cant wait for 3.. also star craft.. wow was never for me. so i could care less what happens to wow... if anything i would like to see it start to fail, in hopes of them puting more into diablo and the new star craft..

• DrilDril Member Posts: 107

Originally posted by endersshadow

If a WoW Killer really did arrive, then people would have another game to hate more than WoW.

That'd be a pity, then I'd have to play it to laugh at how baseless their comments are :(

RIFT was a *crushing* disappointment; a shallow, loveless, generic MMO the likes of which hasn't been seen in a P2P format since, well, forever.

Eagerly awaiting: World of Darkness, ArcheAge.

Originally posted by XxjagoxX

i tried to play wow twice.. once  by myself, and once when co-workers force me to play with them... both times i could not get into it.. while i lover other blizz games such as diablo 1 and 2  n cant wait for 3.. also star craft.. wow was never for me. so i could care less what happens to wow... if anything i would like to see it start to fail, in hopes of them puting more into diablo and the new star craft..

It is funny you mention that because outside of the Diablo games it is the exact opposite for me. 

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Seriously, if people are all that bothered about WoW, then the thing to do is to support innovative, original games while they are still new and imperfect. Forum rabble-rabble counts for very little. Subscriptions, playtesting, good feedback count for a lot.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• DrilDril Member Posts: 107

Originally posted by Malcanis

Seriously, if people are all that bothered about WoW, then the thing to do is to support innovative, original games while they are still new and imperfect. Forum rabble-rabble counts for very little. Subscriptions, playtesting, good feedback count for a lot.

Most people here are too burnt-out to play any MMO in the near future; so they waste their fingers typing about something that may or may not bring back the memories but dammit if it's a sandbox I'll buy it!

RIFT was a *crushing* disappointment; a shallow, loveless, generic MMO the likes of which hasn't been seen in a P2P format since, well, forever.

Eagerly awaiting: World of Darkness, ArcheAge.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

The phrase "WOW killer" has become an epedimic like crack in the eighties, I'm starting to wish that mmorpg would just ban the term *sighs*.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• Cpt_PicardCpt_Picard Member Posts: 300

Well if wow is the beetles, and the beetles broke up because Paul was mad at the producer; logic can only indicate that Activision will screw over blizzard and then Mike Morheim will leave resulting in wows death.

Make it so...

Originally posted by jaxsundane

The phrase "WOW killer" has become an epedimic like crack in the eighties, I'm starting to wish that mmorpg would just ban the term *sighs*.

I'm actually more irritated by "wow clone" myself:

1. Player tries out a new mmorpg

2. Player does not enjoy mmorpg for 'x' reason(s)

3. Player goes to forum(s) to bitch about game that two weeks earlier they were touting the "WoW Killer" denouncing it as a "WoW clone"

4. Player resubs to WoW

Such is the cycle of life.  I think the only two mmorpgs to come out in years now that I have not hear people crying it is a WoW clone are Darkfall and Mortal Online.  Every other goddamn game gets dubbed that by some people no matter what the gameplay, genre, etc is.  It's rather amazing actually but it gets people riled up so I guess it works.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Does anyone know if WoW even drops loot if you slay it?

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

Originally posted by Dril

Originally posted by endersshadow

That'd be a pity, then I'd have to play it to laugh at how baseless their comments are :(

lol yeah Id have to play it too, and when I saw the hatorade on the forums, I would just /shrug and keep playing. 

Originally posted by jaxsundane

Whitney Houston got hooked on WoW Killer and look what that did to her!

WoW Killer is Whack!

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    In 1954, a fifty-two-year-old milk-shake machine salesman saw a hamburger stand in San Bernardino, California, and envisioned a massive new industry: fast food. In what should have been his golden years, Raymond Kroc, the founder and builder of McDonald's Corporation, proved himself an industrial pioneer no less capable than Henry Ford. He revolutionized the American restaurant industry by imposing discipline on the production of hamburgers, french fries, and milk shakes. By developing a sophisticated operating and delivery system, he insured that the french fries customers bought in Topeka would be the same as the ones purchased in New York City. Such consistency made McDonald's the brand name that defined American fast food.
    By 1960, there were more than 200 McDonald's outlets across the country, a rapid expansion fueled by low franchising fees. Ray Kroc had created one of the most compelling brands of all time. But he was barely turning a profit. Ultimately, it was his decision to use real estate as a financial lever that made McDonald's a viable operation. In 1956, Kroc set up the Franchise Realty Corporation, buying up tracts of land and acting as a landlord to eager franchisees. With this step, McDonald's began to generate real income, and the company took off. Kroc then introduced national advertising programs to support the rapidly proliferating franchises, and when it appeared that growth in the company's home territory was slowing in the early 1970s, he started an energetic and successful push to make McDonald's a global presence. Throughout the company's spectacular growth, Kroc maintained a delicate balancing act, imposing rigorous system-wide standards while encouraging an entrepreneurial spirit that welcomed ideas from all levels. Many of these ideas contributed to the company's astonishing success.

In amassing a $500-million fortune, the king of the hamburger transformed the nation's cultural landscape and forged an industry that is among America's greatest exports. The widely imitated success of McDonald's offers an excellent example for today's managers and executives searching for greater production efficiencies. By putting the humble hamburger on the assembly line, Kroc showed the world how to apply sophisticated process management to the most prosaic endeavors. To succeed the McDonald's way, companies must define the basic premise of the service they offer, break the labor into constituent parts, and then continually reassemble and fine tune the many steps until the system works without a hitch. Today, companies engaged in delivering pizzas, processing insurance claims, or selling toys benefit from the kinds of systems that Ray Kroc pioneered. To the degree that such operations maintain quality control, and cherish customer satisfaction, profits may flow.
  • druuidruui Member Posts: 8

In a outrageous fantasy world, wow is like a super elite level 128 boss and really hard to kill. It requires 100 people to kill that, the trascendent being.