Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We all want a WoW Killer, But is it WOW that it will really Kill, or the Genre itself?

Comments

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Alders

Originally posted by uquipu

SWTOR with almost 3 times the budget of WoW and a studio that's known for making RPG hits has the best chance of taking away some of WoW's subs. I would think for a time at least.

I seriously doubt it. Most of the people i know that play WoW don't have the patience to sit through a voice acted cutscene. I've had this talk with some of the younger kids on my vent and they all echo the same sentiment, "can i skip all this talking and get my loot please?"

Wow... this confirms so many prejudices regarding WoW and its community that it actually starts to get uncanny image

Originally posted by Dancer

I think the words " We all want a WoW Killer" in this question are harsh. It implies that none of us enjoy or like WoW which, according to their player base numbers is not accurate.  It's phrasing seems to suggest the OP doesn't like WoW him or her self and really wants WoW to fall.

I disagree. I don't think the phrasing is truth at all, because not everyone is looking for a 'WoW killer' and also the 'we' is incorrect since from his other posts in other threads the OP actually shows being very comfortable with WoW and its gameplay mechanics.

The OP's phrasing is actually cleverly constructed to evoke strong reactions by using terms as 'WoW killer' and 'we all' and posing strong opinionated statements, opinions he might not even stand for himself. So kudos for that, gj image

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

It isn't a WoW killer that we need, it is WoW players to open their eyes and see there is more to MMOs than just the WoW approach to them.

• DancerDancer Member Posts: 102

WoW... and I use that word in two terms here. "If" that is the case then it is kudos. :-)

• ZoulzZoulz Member Posts: 477

Originally posted by bobfish

It isn't a WoW killer that we need, it is WoW players to open their eyes and see there is more to MMOs than just the WoW approach to them.

Isn't it the MMO developers job to "open their eyes"? Why don't you just let people play whatever they want to play instead or suggesting we need to enlighten people of what they should like.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

Originally posted by Zoulz

Isn't it the MMO developers job to "open their eyes"? Why don't you just let people play whatever they want to play instead or suggesting we need to enlighten people of what they should like.

Because they are woefully uniformed, and its our duty to enlighten them. image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ZoulzZoulz Member Posts: 477

Originally posted by Kyleran

This is why I think religion is a bad idea. Sure, believe whatever you want. Just don't try pushing it on other people.

• bobericboberic Member Posts: 97

I see the WoW killer as a prophecy...but one that will probably never come to be realized. I can say that there have been many "WoW killers" that have come out. You know what happens to them? Every fan-boi and 14 year old comes out of the wood work with their swords and pitch forks striking them down and labeling them as a "WoW clone". I know you've all seen the troll post.

"WoW clone...next game." or "WoW clone...GG" "Or WoW is the best mmo ever...there were no mmo's before it! All hail the all powerful WoW!!1one1!"

The WoW killer will come, who ever produces it will have a MONSTROUS backlash from blizzard and blizzard will fight them to the teeth for their precious subs...but it will come.

You can aruge all you like that WoW will kill itself or that it will slowly lose subs...but its been 6 years now and still it survives with its fanbois and hot-pocket raiders. It will never just "die" it will have to be killed...

and it will not yield quietly...

Edit:

Lets hope blizzard doesn't get the crazy idea to make a World of Warcraft 2 or worse a World of Starcraft...if that happens GG mmo market. WoW killer will have his/her work cut out for them.

////////////
    function()
    {
    runescape != goodgame;
    }

• ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381

"Now with Blizzcon on the way, what if Blizzard's new MMORPG turned out to be this "WOW KILLER?""

Better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

• bobericboberic Member Posts: 97

Originally posted by ChicagoCub

"Now with Blizzcon on the way, what if Blizzard's new MMORPG turned out to be this "WOW KILLER?""

Better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

I would instantly go "AAAAAAWWWWWWWW FUCK..." and i would throw paper in anger. Its just sickening to see blizzard constantly on top(thats what she said....couldnt resist). As a game designer just immerging into the industry, what if i end up working for a company that makes mmos. I instantly know they hae no chance of being anywhere near the top and that their chances of surviving long are very slim...because of blizzard and its monster.

////////////
    function()
    {
    runescape != goodgame;
    }

• tu_uilwentu_uilwen Member Posts: 794

I think one of the problems is the sheer fact that alot of people that play wow that try to go to other games, find what they percieve as problems with games coming out for no reason and stay with wow. I for one play wow but I also try pretty much every other MMORPG thats comes out because I am interested to see the ideas people are trying to make successful. Like alot of people heard about the fatigue system in FFXIV and never looked into it but instantly were like FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL. Why?

The fatigue system after some research and reading and everythign the way it sounds doesn't sound to bad at all, give casual and sometimes even hardcore players a chance to just play alittle bit and not be a year behind.

People also have a problem with comparing every single game coming out to something like say WoW......WoW is 6 years old, alot has changed since the beginning and they have had alot of time to do certain things. Why not actually give some games a chance and try them out rather then listening to someone say oh i read this and I think it will fail and then be like oh yeah its gonna fail cause 5 out of a million people that play games said it will fail.

And to say that none of the other games that come out are unique, thats incredibly wrong, I don't know where in wow you have angel wings and can fly with out a mount and have aerial combat (Aion). or what about RvRvR pvp (DAoC), or haveing a character where you can change classes at anytime and they all have seperate levels (FFXI.FFXIV). There are alot of unique games out there, jsut so many people have so much invested in to WoW that they do not want to switch or have friends that wont switch and stay on wow so they stay on wow with their friends.

---------------------------------------------
    WoW
    -Rhalon 85 B.E. rogue
    -Rhalon 81 UD Mage
    -Doneski 85 Orc death knight

"Everyones life has a beginning and an end, No one can change that."-Hiko
    "If you wish to taste the ground, then feel free to attack."-Kenshin Himura
    ---------------------------------------------

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

I never said it was anyone's job to make them open their eyes. But the issue isn't WoW, it is that the majority of MMO gamers think it has to be done like WoW.

The problem isn't the game, it is those who can't see past the game.

Having said that, it is no different from the FPS genre at the moment, where if it isn't Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, it isn't good, being the general perception of the majority of FPS gamers. However it isn't as obvious because the FPS market is significantly bigger than the MMO market and had a lot longer to develop naturally before the "ONE" turned up, unlike the MMO genre which was still fairly young when WoW hit the scenes.

I think the best example of a mature MMO market is South Korea, ignoring the fact they are overly keen on grinding, they have a much more varied array of MMOs on the market and the players are spread much more evenly among those MMOs. That is what we need here, not another single MMO to rule them all, but a group of MMOs that all hold their own quite well.

• KingKong007KingKong007 Member Posts: 149

This site is all about WOW hate and "killing off" the number one MMO.

The site itself is a hollow publicity add to "aid" the industry and its workers. Both in controversial  editorials as in clan supported forums.

This site promoted all those duds you gave your money to....

Make your own conclusions about the "state of the industry" and don't blame Blizzard.

The "we" part is only representative for this site.

Outside of this site people look at you all and shake the heads.

• MurdusMurdus Member UncommonPosts: 698

I stopped reading at "we all want a wow killer"

I don't, and I've spoken to many who feel the same

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591
    I would have no problem with the genre going back underground and being for gamer enthusiats only agian, but thats just me.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

Originally posted by Kyleran

This is why I think religion is a bad idea. Sure, believe whatever you want. Just don't try pushing it on other people.

Then you don't understand the purpose of religion either.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Originally posted by MMOExposed

But in realty, would it really be WoW that this "WoW Killer" would kill, or would it really be the Genre and most of the smaller populated MMO?

It already almost happened.  Farmville nearly killed WoW.   Laugh if you want, but "social games" that spread like viruses across facebook have rattled the industry and changed how companies are looking at how players interact with each other and the real world - its an innovation in marketting rather than design, but it seems to me that it worried Blizzard enough to lurch towards RealID.  As much as I've come to despise Facebook as a company, if I am wrong about it being just a fad and it does take over the world, it may help launch some new MMO-ish thing into the stratosphere.

• Roadkill2000Roadkill2000 Member Posts: 32

To the person that says they are disgusted that some of the younger crowd hasnt watched the original SW trilogy, some like it some dont, i was born in 1981 and i watched them and thought it plain sucked just like the newer trilogy. Another ? for u is where the hell is the MMO that has more subscriptions than  Wow, F2P registrations are not subscriptions BTW. Im not saying Wow has done everything right but apparently it did something right. All the new games that come out last a yr, maybe two before they are thrown to the bargain bin and put on the cheap bastards gaming list. Wow may not be ur cup of tea or whatever but for most, its better than the choices we have atm. Will it last, no one knows, will Blizzard sit back and watch the subs die off for SW, i doubt it.

Applications for MMO guilds??? Sorry not that pathetic just yet

• CavallCavall Member Posts: 272

Originally posted by Roadkill2000

F2P registrations are not subscriptions

Then WoW only has a playerbase of roughly 2.5 million. Possibly less after considering multiboxing.

• Roadkill2000Roadkill2000 Member Posts: 32

Even if that may be, thats still bout 1.5 million more than any other game over here in the English speaking lands since most Asian MMOs never make it over here or if they do they bomb like bird shit.

Applications for MMO guilds??? Sorry not that pathetic just yet

Originally posted by Cavall

F2P registrations are not subscriptions

Then WoW only has a playerbase of roughly 2.5 million. Possibly less after considering multiboxing.

They have a yearly declared and controlled revenue of  around 1.25 billion dollars coming from one game.

EVE scores at 50 million dollars.

Forbes did a study in  2009 and WoW made more income than the numbers 2,3,4 and 5 MMo's combined.

F2P were included in that financial study and didn't even make it to top 20.

Of course you know it better than Forbes.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by KingKong007

Originally posted by Murdus

Just remember this site has a average "on line status" of 250 users...

As a kind reminder of the " we want " part.

Just watch till the premade clans get in and continue reinforcing their proper invented ideas of "sandbox"  and "themepark" discussions.

Every mmorpg  is a sandbox according to wikipedia and themepark isn't even defined.

So far the Mac Donalds and filet mignon discussions.

It's about time the clans know they can't even be called "niche markets fans", just boring and frustated guys without gaming fun.

Forum grinders that left their games out of sheer boredom ages ago and sign with Eve in their forum signatures.

Always good to know the public you're adressing.

I smell fanboism.

Too much fervent apologizing and fighting against statements in the OP where ironically enough even the poster of the OP himself doesn't even really believe in the arguments posted, but just made it to evoke strong reactions.

As everyone with enough sense would know, the whole "my game is better than yours" and "this game should die" argumentations is pretty immature.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• CavallCavall Member Posts: 272

Even if that may be, thats still bout 1.5 million more than any other game over here in the English speaking lands since most Asian MMOs never make it over here or if they do they bomb like bird shit.

Oh, how wrong you are. How very, very wrong. It's just that most asian MMOs actually use a different system than subscriptions due to chinese law. Most actually do make it here. Some flop, but they at least make it here under the same exact system that WoW used to get to China.

Just take a look at the list here-  http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm The vast majority of those can either be played from other parts of the world than Asia, or actually have an english version.

Originally posted by cyphers

Originally posted by KingKong007

Originally posted by Murdus

Just remember this site has a average "on line status" of 250 users...

As a kind reminder of the " we want " part.

Just watch till the premade clans get in and continue reinforcing their proper invented ideas of "sandbox"  and "themepark" discussions.

Every mmorpg  is a sandbox according to wikipedia and themepark isn't even defined.

So far the Mac Donalds and filet mignon discussions.

It's about time the clans know they can't even be called "niche markets fans", just boring and frustated guys without gaming fun.

Forum grinders that left their games out of sheer boredom ages ago and sign with Eve in their forum signatures.

Always good to know the public you're adressing.

I smell fanboism.

Too much fervent apologizing and fighting against statements in the OP where ironically enough even the poster of the OP himself doesn't even really believe in the arguments posted, but just made it to evoke strong reactions.

As everyone with enough sense would know, the whole "my game is better than yours" and "this game should die" argumentations is pretty immature.

The first of the clan just joined.

We await the Mac Donalds, personal opinion and sandbox statements.

• satojinsatojin Member Posts: 125

WoW died a very long time for me. About 1 1/2 years after the game released to be exact. I just want it to release its death grip  on some of its customers so new MMORPGs can have a chance sticking around for a while.

• XxjagoxXXxjagoxX Member Posts: 148

I could care less if any game "kills" WoW, i just want a game that i go "ooooo and Ahhhh" over.. yea i would like to see it have alot of people play it so i have more people to play with.....

But a wow killer. i dont care about