Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a Sandbox MMO.

2»

Comments

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

Originally posted by Sid_Vicious

I think that Darkfall is by far the funnest sandbox in the market and it is only getting better.

None of the games mentioned thus far can provide what Darkfall does. Try out the trial but keep in mind that your first 2 weeks is nothing compared to whats in store for you.

No other game has funner PVE/PVP imo because of Darkfall's fast-paced realistic combat and mobs AI. The game is meant to be played for a long time . .. I have been playing for 16 months and still have not experienced all of the content.

The opinions that you read about Darkfall are usually from trial-players or people who come from FPS games like COD and don't want character progression. To each thier own.

I think that MO is nothing compared to DF . ... makes me lawl that someone would say that but that is where opinion comes in I guess. Actually I think that no other game compares . .. I hated the game at first but WOW I have had some epic times that are not possible in other games.

This.

No other sandbox MMO compares to DF atm in my opition. I recommend waiting until Darkfall 2010 is completely released to see DF at its best but the choice is yours. I've played aton of MMOs and i've yet to find a similar experience in any other game. Fallen Earth is also decent if you perfer sci-fi but its very quest driven and the combat doesnt even come close to Darkfall imo.

Give the trial a shot. But do your research first so you know what to expect. Its not a game you should expect to have a maxed toon in 3months, it takes time to progress. It's also very pvp driven so if you don't enjoy pvp id stay away from it. As Sid mentioned alot of the negative posts come from people who rage-quit or DF simply wasnt the game for them. Most folks who enjoy Darkfall like it alot. The freedom it offers is unmatched atm.

Good luck!

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

Fallen Earth is my favorite sandbox-ish MMO i've played.. And it is top knotch at PvE, i'd even say prolly the best PvE i've ever played.. The crafting is also one of the best crafting systems i've played.. But if you're like me, this all eventually means nothing unless you get some PvP thrown in too.. That's where Fallen Earths biggest fault is, currently the whole PvP system is pretty f'd up..

You have Blood Sports, but i dont know about you, i hate instanced PvP so it didn't work for me.. Then you have PvP Zones which look awsome, some of them are brilliantly designed and factions should be fighting over them.. But they are not since theres really no reason to fight over them atm.. The items you get from pvping arn't worth it at all.. And you're able to switch over from faction to faction so you never really grow close to you're faction much less want to fight for them..

I think this will all change once the player cities are introduced.. I have a feeling they'll eventually be player ran and be able to be raided and such.. Atleast that's what i hope Fallen Earth Dev's are planning to do with it.. That's another good thing about FE is since release it's had a steady stream of content and lots of dev support.. There's always a dev in the world chat willing to help and almost every month something new is being introduced or tweaked.. They are also introduceing a whole new section in the form of counties which will be released individually each month or so and be completley finished around mid 2011..

I myself subscriped for a month and really digged the game.. I could only do so much PvE tho (no matter how good it was) until i needed some bloodshed in the form of pvp lol.. It sucks too cuz FE has some awsome open world pvp zones and the factions history are well thought out.. When you think Fallen Earth's factions you imagine a bunch of wasteland survivors' shooting it out on wasteland dunebuggys, striveing to claim the junkyard or w/e lol.. Instead you find ghost towns for pvp-sectors and a greivers/cheaters in bloodsports lol..

Now, if you like PvE and have no problem playing a game w/o decent PvP then i'd defiantly say give Fallen Earth a shot.. It's got Dark Fall beaten when it comes to PvE and setting.. Unfortunantley Dark Falls got pretty awsome pvp once you get into the game and has Fallen Earth beaten there for sure.

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

Originally posted by Wrender

Originally posted by JDirectorate

Hello everybody! As the threads title says, I'm looking for a Sandbox MMO! Runescape = My worst grinding experience ever. But aside from the grind I LOVED that game. I love how you could just never touch combat and just mine even though I never did do that I love how it was classless so you could, in theory make a super character with 99 in each stat. I saw some Mortal Online videos, they looked pretty cool. Reminded me of Oblivion. But I don't really like the whole first person thing. I've heard that Darkfall is fail but I'm not sure why. Is it the grind? If so is it worse then Runescape?

Peace, and thanks in advance guys.

There's really only one true sandbox these days thanks to the casual market crap!

EVE Online

And if you don't like EVE then....

Good luck!

Oh another great sandbox MMO.. EvE is awsome but unlike Fallen Earth it is almost all centered around PvP.. There is PvE content but after running several missions you'll soon be repeating the same mission over and over eventually.. I used to hate getting Worlds Collide 100 times in a row lol.. And then theres worm holes but the whole reason you mess with those is to get more isk to make a better pvp ship lol..

There is no levels either you que up skills and eventually overtime they'll finish up and move to the next skill.. This means no matter how much time you put into the game the only way you're play time progesses you is in the form of makeing $$.. So if you run into someone who's been playing 4 or 5 years theres a high chance he'll kill you unless he's running around in some frigate being stupid.. And this chance is very likley since the game is like 7 years old and has a pretty die hard following..

EvE is actually gonna be the next MMO i'll resub too.. I have a feeling about it.. Only reason i quit playing is because my corp getting war dec'd so i was stuck in a station for a whole week, during that time i started playing other MMO's and discovered how much i missed actual pve content.

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

• FabryzFabryz Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by JDirectorate

Hello everybody! As the threads title says, I'm looking for a Sandbox MMO! Runescape = My worst grinding experience ever. But aside from the grind I LOVED that game. I love how you could just never touch combat and just mine even though I never did do that I love how it was classless so you could, in theory make a super character with 99 in each stat. I saw some Mortal Online videos, they looked pretty cool. Reminded me of Oblivion. But I don't really like the whole first person thing. I've heard that Darkfall is fail but I'm not sure why. Is it the grind? If so is it worse then Runescape?

Peace, and thanks in advance guys.

I suggest you to give a look to Wurm Online, one of the best Sandbox MMOs out there ;)

http://www.wurmonline.com/

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Kaelaan21

The whole jumping thing was a minor point and a very valid point. For a sandbox - it is odd that you cannot jump.

Is there jumping in ATITD? UO? EVE?

Also, other than in AC, has jumping ever actually served any functional purpose in an MMO?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Originally posted by Loktofeit

The whole jumping thing was a minor point and a very valid point. For a sandbox - it is odd that you cannot jump.

Also, other than in AC, has jumping ever actually served any functional purpose in an MMO?

Yes.  Melee double jump, jump casting/archery, jumping to get out of the way of an arrow/spell.  Darkfall.  You don't jump, you die.

• willo248willo248 Member Posts: 346

I'n Darkfall They even have rocket jumping with spells.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

you can also take a look on these (first two are not final versions tho):

haven and hearth - http://www.havenandhearth.com/

dawntide - http://www.dawntide.net/

istaria - http://istaria.com/

• suupaabakasuupaabaka Member Posts: 17

Hey there JDirectorate. I'd recommend Star Wars Galaxies.

I quit that game 5 years ago in opposition to the changes they made to the gameplay (commonly known as the NGE). It reduced the 30 odd professions that were available into 9 "iconic" classes, and made it impossible to switch between them. Most players didn't appreciate this, and quit the game.

Fast forward five years. I'm in the same boat as you; looking for a good sandbox MMO with none really itching the scratch. I've tried Darkfall, Mortal Online, Ultima Online, Fallen Earth, EVE, Ryzom... each has had something missing or something that really annoyed me.

With Darkfall, it's the ganking and grinding as well as the lack of proper sandbox style choices. Everything is centered around combat; you grind your combat skills and crafting skills to better prepare you for combat. Also, there are no skill caps; everyone can do everything and while that sounds really cool, in reality it doesn't lend itself to sandbox style gameplay. 

With Mortal, it's the unfinished state of the game, bugs and the readily apparent lack of polish.

With Ultima it's how advanced everyone already is in the game, and the lack of people playing.

With EVE, it's the fact that you're limited to your ship (for the moment) and the grind that presents itself in mining and manufacturing, as well as it feeling more like work to me than a game (I'm a banker, and EVE just really,really reminds me of work).

Ryzom, I just found really boring and unpopulated.

And with Fallen Earth... I'm not exactly sure what it was. I might return to it at some point, maybe in six months time. 

So I decide to give SWG another try. And to my surprise, it's really fun again, despite the Professions overhaul. You can now have two characters per server, and they've improved the gameplay monumentally. Space combat is much better and less laggy, crafting has become important once again, they've reintroduced Beast Mastery and Bio-engineering, the Galactic Civil War is everywhere and quite important now and there are many more quests and opportunities for PVE. They even have a system called Chronicles, in which you can make your own quests and storylines for other people to play. Some are quite extensive and complicated, and you can even put down your own NPCs and ships and structures to further your storyline.

Plus there's the persistent player housing and cities aspect, which is always fun :)

I love logging in and being presented with a CHOICE in what I want to do that day, and simply put there's no other game out there that offers such a range of choices. 

• IAmVengeanceIAmVengeance Member Posts: 2

EVE Online is my current MMO of choice. The sheer amount of things to do and the time required to do them is daunting sometimes however being able to go anywheres you want right out of the gate was appealing to me. EVE is a very complex game but if you take the time to play it and learn it, you'll find it is very rewarding.

As for things to do; you can do nothing but mine all day, do missions (sort of like quests in other MMO's except minus a large story arc), pvp (EVE has the best pvp of any game I've ever played), manufacture items (While I don't know an exact number/percent, I would say that most of the items in the game are player created), or you could simply be a market trader. Learn the economy, profit.

If you are interested in trying EVE, PM me and I can hook you up with a 21-day trial. I can also help you out ingame with any questions and I assure you, you will have questions.

• knapuknapu Member Posts: 131

If u into CB state of a game i can say perpetuum-online is a nice sandbox game for the first look its like EVE online only on a planet with mechs .

Unlike in eve u get every 1 min 1 xp and u dont have to wait for the skills they learn instantly so if u dont play for few days u will still get xp and when u come back u can use them, its preety nice

On http://www.perpetuum-online.com/  u can register for beta it takes something about 5 working days to get acces.

Altough they say  that they send email when u can play , its not gonna happen i guess at least i didnt get one and could play after few days  u need to dl client and check out :)

I am the punishment of God...
    If you had not committed great sins,
    God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you
    — Genghis Khan

• Kaelaan21Kaelaan21 Member UncommonPosts: 349

Eve Online has jumping.

Yar! See what I did there? :P

• BrifBrif Member UncommonPosts: 529

You should try out DarkFallenEarthRiseoftheGodSlayer

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Eve Online has jumping.

Yar! See what I did there? :P

I have to admit, it did take me a couple seconds to get it. image

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ianopolosianopolos Member Posts: 16

Whatever you do dont play Mortal Online here is why:

This is real not trolling and is reported to GM and they are aware of my situation.

I just say what happened and guys threaten me inside game they will hack me in game i have their names and some of them are Web Designers.

They have connections inside game, and can hack you if they want to.

Im not saying they are bad, i heard them  talking with one guy (i know him) how to hack me  thats what i said.

I wasnt ganked or anything from pvpers and im not complaining im just review the game:

Im posting this only thread on this site of Gameplay and it has links to youtube account so you can see first hand what are flaws of game:

They dont have chat in Mortal Online so they are using private chat, there are not many players only few hundreds they seem nice in begin but they are really bad and use bad language.

Game Mortal Online rewards players with 2 accounts, cause they can transfer items from character to character and cant lose nothin!

They can also Follow You in spirit mode with one account and with other account steal from you while you transfer items.

Players that play on only 1 account cant trade items  to their other characters in storage they have only 1 option to make suicide and loot bag with their other character risking losing money or material they harvest all day from other players who followed them.

I say this cause players who play on 2 accounts can steal from you with one character in spirit mode following you and you cant see him cause he is spirit, and other character alive who is hiding and waiting for you to log out so he can steal ur loor bag youre trying to transfer.

They have never succed stealing from me anything worth much only 1 mongrel horse.

Not to mention game is so buged and server restarts 10 times per day so you can lose items if server restarts in time you do suicide and try to transfer items.

They have good ideas try to make it best but they failed.

Design of characters is really bad one of worst i have see so far and i played hundred of MMORPG, and game is only first person not something i like.

Comunity of players is really bad i say this cause they are mostly players from beta and they know each other and atack any new player entering game, even if players is naked dont have crafters or skills and they play for months before and have maxed characters.

Some red players like to brag in chat they are best like 4 red players with steel weapons atacked me while i was naked  with no healing and they didnt manage to kill me i manage to run away.

Nobody invites you in guild in this game its like everyone is hating everyone, and when you want to trade with someone they try to trick you and sell you weapons and bows for 400-1000 silver, and they sell those same to their friends for 50-100 silver max.

What to say else than this game with comunity like this has no future!

Lots of cheating lots of braging for nothing.

Have i enjoyed playing this game i dont think so!

There is alot of hacking and cheating in game by some players who ran away from combat fly away with their characters in sky.

I am actually one of the hardcore players that love harsh PVP and sandbox games,

where two of my favorite sandbox games are Mount and Blade and EVE Online (played 4 years),

but there is a limit to how much trash I can take from a game while paying for it.

review of Mortal Online!

character creation: