Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Killing the wait with?

KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

While you are waiting for games like FFXIV, Cataclysm, GW2 and SWTOR what are you currently playing?

I am playing CS on some admin abuse war3 mod server and screwed myself buying Starcraft 2. The greatness of Starcraft for me was the ability to have fun in public channels and be part of clans.

From single players I can't find anything "innovative". It's more of the same formula with better graphics. I guess this is the endgame for someone who spent 19 years gaming. I remember when I was 6 year old playing anything that was released. Other MMORPG's I am still considering are EVE and EQ2, maeby Aion 2.0 since I got lvl 46 and it's free expansion.

EQ2 - I heard it has the MOST content + housing and on top I can try the extended for free so I am strongly considering it. The downside is that the game is old and low populated I assume. Is it worth investing in it now when big titles coming in near future? I also have no idea how enjoyable and rich the endgame content is so I would appreciate if I get info on that.

EVE - 50k players online, one server. It has polished design and tons of updates, expansions and great graphics. On the other hand I just don't see how I can have fun in another 5+ year MMORPG where every day millions of isks are added in the economy from NPC's that inflate it and it seems the game is all about the economy. I say no thx to farming (repeating combat missions all day). The skill system also discouraging the new player from trying to catch up.

Aion 2.0 - It will have even more awesome graphics and it has already one of the most enjoyable combat I've experienced since WOW, but I just see it as another asian grinder with lack of content. The endgame is focused on PvP, farming and repeat since they raise the level cap after a year. I rather play a FPS'er or SC2. It will spare me from the grind and $15 sub.

Is it really this bad or it is just me? Is WOW: Cataclysm seriosly the only option on the table for a veteran MMORPG player? Am I missing something out from the games I mentioned above? Maeby I am also lacking info on rest of the MMORPG's which failed to capture my attention?

Comments

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

EQ2's f2p server is packed with people. So giv it a try. Besides open beta of FF XIV begines in 3 or 4 days.

• d0n0d0n0 Member Posts: 123

I started a new character on diablo 2... lol

already finished sc2 campaign so... im not good online though.

There is no knowledge that is no power.

• Started to play Vanguard : Saga of Heroes with some friends again. Unique PvE mmorpg..

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

Originally posted by TwilightEdge

EQ2's f2p server is packed with people. So giv it a try. Besides open beta of FF XIV begines in 3 or 4 days.

That's good to know about EQ2. When it comes to FF XIV I highly doubt I'm getting in open beta without preordering. Either way I know I won't be making mistake between FF XIV and Cataclysm. The only problem is I have to decide between these two. FF XIV got the edge with the earlier release and gorgeous graphics, but the endgame is where my uncertainty is compared to Cataclysm where I know what to expect.

• PriestrPriestr Member Posts: 39

i started playing aion again due to the 2.0 update coming in september. it really went ok after the patches i missed out since 1.6.xx i started leveling my 47 ranger again, due to the rest xp bonus and a double xp weekend i went 50 very fast. i enjoy the changes they made and bought another 30 days, just nothin out there that i have not tested while im waiting for a couple of mmo releases and aion gave me the most fun. there are much much much much less botters (from what ive heared, never seen one since im back)  and i havent seen any goldspammers nomore. besides raidin with my lvl 50 i rolled a twink, it keeps me going while waiting, so im fine with my choise, but i wont purchase any playtime in the future, 2 months is enough for all those open betas and next releases out there, im so waiting for vindictus open beta, looks really awesome! when i get bored of aion, i play bloodline champions with my friends over ts3, really funny arena dota kind of game!

Playing: Global Agenda / Vindictus
    -----------------
    Excited for: Guild Wars 2 / TERA / SWTOR
    -----------------
    Have Played: Ultima Online, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Lord of the Rings Online, Vanguard, CoH/CoV, EverQuest 1+2, Tabula Rasa, DDO, The Chronical of Spellborn, Warhammer Online, Age of Conan, Champions Online, Aion, FLYFF, ArchLord, Metin 2, DAoC, APB, CC, Darkfall and many many more
    -----------------
    Favorite MMO: Ultima Online

• tu_uilwentu_uilwen Member Posts: 794

Well I like playing multiple games haha, I am currently playing SC2 when I get a chance. I also like to play wow from time to time and try other or re play older MMO's like DAoC and EQ1 or 2. Or I just play CoD:MW2 and other PS3 games I mean there is so much to look at. Just review and pick lol.

---------------------------------------------
    WoW
    -Rhalon 85 B.E. rogue
    -Rhalon 81 UD Mage
    -Doneski 85 Orc death knight

"Everyones life has a beginning and an end, No one can change that."-Hiko
    "If you wish to taste the ground, then feel free to attack."-Kenshin Himura
    ---------------------------------------------

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

I will be replaying ME2 +DLC and KOTOR1 while waiting for SWTOR. And to fill in the gaps or just to waste time EQ2X and DDO a little but don't plan on spending any cash on them. Most recently I've been really into Legends of Norrath (the free EQ card game) when I get a craving for a more thought-intensive strategy game.

• I'll be playing the WAR endless trial while I wait for SWTOR, I may even consider resubscribing after I play my 10 free days on my original account.

• ClywdClywd Member UncommonPosts: 261

Originally posted by Kopogero

Originally posted by TwilightEdge

That's good to know about EQ2. When it comes to FF XIV I highly doubt I'm getting in open beta without preordering. Either way I know I won't be making mistake between FF XIV and Cataclysm. The only problem is I have to decide between these two. FF XIV got the edge with the earlier release and gorgeous graphics, but the endgame is where my uncertainty is compared to Cataclysm where I know what to expect.

Open beta means everybody can join, you don't need an invitation. It starts on Wednesday.

On the other hand I maybe can answer your question regarding the endgame: there is none afaik. But they implemented a great system to force casuals to grind and force hardcores to leave, so that nobody gets to the endgame anyway. Just google for "surplus xp". I think the producer (or some other important japanese guy from Square Enix) said, that they are focusing on casuals and "on the way", not the traditional endgame stuff. Whatever. Try the open beta and kill two weeks wait ;-)

Currently playing: EverQuest
    Waiting for Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Been playing Global Agenda while waiting.

Thinking about Fallen Earth and a few others sometimes.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Resubbed to EQ for a month to go check out some of my favorite old haunts. Been playing a lot of Fallout 3 and Civilizations 4, and Half-Life 2 besides. Still have to beat Dragon Age. Plus I haven't even barely touched Batman: Arkham Asylum yet. Borderlands once in awhile.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

kill the wait with life. ever thought of that one? hah!

Also SC2.

• ClywdClywd Member UncommonPosts: 261

Originally posted by sonoggi

kill the wait with life. ever thought of that one? hah!

Can you give us a link, please? Don't know that one.

Currently playing: EverQuest
    Waiting for Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

Originally posted by Ekadd

Started to play Vanguard : Saga of Heroes with some friends again. Unique PvE mmorpg..

If you see this can you tell me what server you guys/gals are on, if you are willing to add another, how far in you are, and when you play.

I would like to give Vanguard another shot but I think I would be better off with a dedicated group. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by MMOman101

Started to play Vanguard : Saga of Heroes with some friends again. Unique PvE mmorpg..
    If you see this can you tell me what server you guys/gals are on, if you are willing to add another, how far in you are, and when you play.
    I would like to give Vanguard another shot but I think I would be better off with a dedicated group. 

Is this sarcasm?

There is only one server in VG now. So go play and have fun, IF you can find someone to group with post level 20. Otherwise everyone is on the high end raiding. Supposedly...I haven't seen past level 23 so....I have no REAL evidence that Raiding happens. ;P

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

Originally posted by elocke

Originally posted by MMOman101

Is this sarcasm?

There is only one server in VG now. So go play and have fun, IF you can find someone to group with post level 20. Otherwise everyone is on the high end raiding. Supposedly...I haven't seen past level 23 so....I have no REAL evidence that Raiding happens. ;P

No, it is not a joke.  I would like to play again but it is very hard to find a group, sorry for the server comment....I guess.  I tried a while back at starting a dedicated group but it went no where.  If you have a dedicated gourp I would be willing to join it, if you ahve space. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• mundus01mundus01 Member Posts: 100

Been playing Elemental new game from stardock,sacred 1 & 2  and fallen-earth .

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

Been playin Splinter cell Conviction , M.A.G and a few other Xbox and Ps3 games whilst waiting for " SWTOR " ... also quite enjoyin Fat Princess :)

The wait for SWTOR is killin me ! lol

• DevalonDevalon Member UncommonPosts: 496

I just got done watching live stream of MLG SC2 tournament cast by HD/Husky and Day9 with jp. That was a awsome but the "HD" was a scam. Yet it had playback ability for an hour so I didn't call in for my money back.

I usually read books inbewteen any type of gaming. I recommend Dresden Files by jim butcher.

Really there no mmo you can jump in just to waste time because of there lack luster design most take 20hours just to get past the newb stage of leveling. Hey maybe acouple beers and friends and just hop into any f2p mmo.

--
    "Any free people have the right to choose how it wants to be govern thats the essence of democracy. It's sad when America has chosen for the stability and consistency of a dictatorship and doing it democratically" -utnow

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

i'm playing MO at the moment.

i know, i know, it is more like a paid beta but it's very different from the barrage of WoW style 3rd person mmos out there and feels very innovative and fresh even after having played games like DF. on top of that even with all the buggs and exploits it still manages to keep me interested 2 months after release. i actually find this very weird and intriguing since i played some beta and swore i would never touch this game.

truth be told i just want to stay away from World of Warcrak and MO fills that void for now.

• endersshadowendersshadow Member Posts: 296

Killing the time by leveling alts in WoW

• J_HurryJ_Hurry Member UncommonPosts: 230

This message was edited on 8/16/15 at 5:30:00 AM

LGM Alchemist (Legendary Grandmaster)
  • endersshadowendersshadow Member Posts: 296

Originally posted by Devalon

I just got done watching live stream of MLG SC2 tournament cast by HD/Husky and Day9 with jp. That was a awsome but the "HD" was a scam. Yet it had playback ability for an hour so I didn't call in for my money back.

I usually read books inbewteen any type of gaming. I recommend Dresden Files by jim butcher.

Really there no mmo you can jump in just to waste time because of there lack luster design most take 20hours just to get past the newb stage of leveling. Hey maybe acouple beers and friends and just hop into any f2p mmo.

I love those books :)

Mark L Van Name wrote some good stuff too. If you like Enders game, his stuff is better imo.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Playing EQ2-X while I wait for CATA

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• slessmanslessman Member Posts: 181

I am actually playing more Ryzom while I wait for some console games to be released. I am anticipating getting my hands on someof the newer releases that have come out. However, I do enjoy Ryzom so I am not in too big of a rush to find a copy of the new games.

www.ryzom.com