Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trying out Ryzom

choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

It's been quite a while since I tried out the game but I never made it off the starter island.  This time I'm going to play and try to get into a guild and give this game a fair review. 

I remember the first time I tried it out I really liked it.  I chose to go with SWG at the time though.  The second time I didn't like it as well but I forget the reasoning...

Can't beat a small download and a 21 day unlimited free trial. 

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
"The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

Comments

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

I know the first time I tried it I was turned away by the horrible default graphics. Make sure to bump your graphics to their max setting. Most decent cards should be able to handle it without any hiccups.

Take your time. Watch your back for roaming predators. Join a guild asap. Enjoy the journey!

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

I agree with Nizul about graphics.

I joined a guild as fast as i traveled to mainland and it was a very good idea. I can play in party every day, always someone to talk to. The game doesn't feel as empty when you're in a guild and there is much more to do.

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

I played today for a while.  I was surprised how much I enjoyed it.  It was a relaxing smooth experience.  The world really does feel much more alive and immersive than 90% of other MMO's.  Bumping the textures up to max helped a lot with the graphics and honestly I don't mind them at all.  This is one of those games where the charm and art direction really do make the difference.  I also didn't see a problem with character models and textures.  The animations are smooth and nice to look at.  The animals in particular are very well done and the newbie armor and clothing is fine for the starter area.  One thing to point out is that you can have a bazzilion characters render on screen at a time without to much of a performance hit, which is very nice.  On my e6600 w/GTX260 I was able to run 1920x1200 with 16x AA slick as snot without a problem somewhere in the 30fps range.  I did bump it down in resolution to the next lowest because the buttons were too small at that res though.  But it looks and plays nice. 

As far as population I saw probably 6 or 7 people wandering around doing their thing and grouped up for a team mission once without any difficulty.  Also to note there are guilds that recruit right off the starter island so there isn't a problem in that area also.  I picked up a nice guild and during the couple hours I was on I saw 8-9 people log in.  We got on vent and I could hear they were not out of control teenage folks they were intelligent well mannered adults from all over.  So I agree it's a really nice change in community compared to most other MMO's with AOC, Darkfall,WoW and Eve being the most glaring examples.  Not a single CN joke the entire time.

I found the crafting to be much more fun than in most other MMO's.  I did not find the depth or diversity of items to be distracting at all, I actually think it makes a much more rewarding experience when you can go hunt down that perfect resource to finish off something cool for yourself. 

The leveling system was very nice.  It was easy going not having to stare at a number and a bar the whole time.  You just have to go after things that you are strong enough to kill.  Killing those things lets you train the skills you used to kill them and then you grow stronger and move on to bigger game. 

Day 1 is gone and so far I like it. 

I had zero technical issues with the install or the actual game launch on Win7 64 bit. 

• andurandur Member UncommonPosts: 37

Originally posted by choujiofkono

I played today for a while.  I was surprised how much I enjoyed it.  It was a relaxing smooth experience.  The world really does feel much more alive and immersive than 90% of other MMO's.  Bumping the textures up to max helped a lot with the graphics and honestly I don't mind them at all.  This is one of those games where the charm and art direction really do make the difference.  I also didn't see a problem with character models and textures.  The animations are smooth and nice to look at.  The animals in particular are very well done and the newbie armor and clothing is fine for the starter area.  One thing to point out is that you can have a bazzilion characters render on screen at a time without to much of a performance hit, which is very nice.  On my e6600 w/GTX260 I was able to run 1920x1200 with 16x AA slick as snot without a problem somewhere in the 30fps range.  I did bump it down in resolution to the next lowest because the buttons were too small at that res though.  But it looks and plays nice. 

As far as population I saw probably 6 or 7 people wandering around doing their thing and grouped up for a team mission once without any difficulty.  Also to note there are guilds that recruit right off the starter island so there isn't a problem in that area also.  I picked up a nice guild and during the couple hours I was on I saw 8-9 people log in.  We got on vent and I could hear they were not out of control teenage folks they were intelligent well mannered adults from all over.  So I agree it's a really nice change in community compared to most other MMO's with AOC, Darkfall,WoW and Eve being the most glaring examples.  Not a single CN joke the entire time.

I found the crafting to be much more fun than in most other MMO's.  I did not find the depth or diversity of items to be distracting at all, I actually think it makes a much more rewarding experience when you can go hunt down that perfect resource to finish off something cool for yourself. 

The leveling system was very nice.  It was easy going not having to stare at a number and a bar the whole time.  You just have to go after things that you are strong enough to kill.  Killing those things lets you train the skills you used to kill them and then you grow stronger and move on to bigger game. 

Day 1 is gone and so far I like it. 

I had zero technical issues with the install or the actual game launch on Win7 64 bit. 

That really makes me want to go back. Played the beta for a while then 2 months when the game was released.

It was my first mmo, and like you say. The one thing I remember was the really amazin community.

Glad you like it, enojy. :)

• jaffrojonesjaffrojones Member Posts: 42

I love this game. I have been playing it for about 5 days now. The game is intelligent, and doesn't dumb things down for you. You really need to think about things. It's a great feeling to be treating like an adult for once. The only problem I have with the game is the low population. But the wonderful people that do play the game that treat each other with respect, patience and intelligence makes up for it tenfold.

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

Ahh, you can't talk about Ryzom and not mention the awesome wild life AI!

By far the best wildlife AI I've seen in am mmo so far eh

Wait til you decide to do a run to the other racial areas, you have to be very patient and observant, especially if you try it on your own like I did.. It's great adventuring fun it is! Especially when you mine along the way during tight spots, waiting for the hunting biggies to wander off.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Great vid on crafting, so atmospheric, think I'll download and try the free trial...

Crafting in Ryzom

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

Originally posted by randomt
    Ahh, you can't talk about Ryzom and not mention the awesome wild life AI!By far the best wildlife AI I've seen in am mmo so far ehWait til you decide to do a run to the other racial areas, you have to be very patient and observant, especially if you try it on your own like I did.. It's great adventuring fun it is! Especially when you mine along the way during tight spots, waiting for the hunting biggies to wander off.

Running to another racial area was a lot of fun and some of my best memories of the game.

Some areas you have to be really, really patient and only have like a second or two window to run past a nasty group of predators. My second day on the mainland I decided to explore. My guild leader said they were meeting up in an area way too dangerous for my toon. I took that as a challenge and tried to make my way there. I almost made it, but in the end got chased down and killed in two hits. I made it further than anyone expected, but it took me nearly an hour to get that far.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• FreedomBladeFreedomBlade Member UncommonPosts: 281

I have just downloaded this and I am also going to give this a go.

I will post here my thoughts about the game.

At this stage I do not have very high expectations as if this game was any good then it would have been more widely known. As it stnads this game has negative digital charisma in that the website looks awful, no one has heard of it, the graphics look weird and girly.

I am looking for a deeper experience than what I got from the other 2 sandboxs on the market - Darkfall and Mortal Online. I am not looking for auto attack EQ/WOW clone with quests and other such shiteness.

Lets see !

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

Originally posted by FreedomBlade, no one has heard of it, the graphics look weird and girly.

LoL, this makes me laugh.  xD

I bet I can guess your age within +- 3 years.

The graphics are great for the art direction that's intended.  Everything kind of fits together just as it should.  The tools, weapons and structures in the game all feel organic like they are meant to be in the  world and not like they were made for someone to purchase in an item shop *stares blankly at 90% of other MMO's.

This game is CPU dependant.  There is a lot of things going on all the time.  During my run through the desert I was startled when a snake slithered its way to the surface a few feet from my position.  It didn't intend any harm but it just slithered its way back under and went about it's business.  Those little details are what makes a game pull you into the world. 

I was also able to catch a glimpse of someone with a high skill doing some resource excavation... it put my small attempts to shame. 

My second day i figured out that the communtiy is actually TOO NICE!  Most everyone I come across wants to give me something or some cash to help me on my journey, but I don't want it because I'd rather stumble around and figure things out on my own HAHA  But it is very kind of them all to offer the help. 

For my second day I ported to the Fyr desert starter lands where my guild has it's hall. 

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

Originally posted by FreedomBlade
    I am not looking for auto attack EQ/WOW clone with quests and other such shiteness.

Lets see !

Then you're in luck, because Ryzom is nothing like that! Well, you can enable a kind of auto-attack by telling your skillbar to auto-initiate a specific skill over and over, if I recall right, but yea..

Wait until you start constructing your own abilities once one of the lines reaches skill level 100+ and you have a crapton of ability-components to build with

For my second day I ported to the Fyr desert starter lands where my guild has it's hall.

Did they change it so that you can port without actually having visited both ends? Part of the fun is doing the TP runs heh (buying the ticket things so you can tp there from elsewhere)

• Originally posted by FreedomBlade

At this stage I do not have very high expectations as if this game was any good then it would have been more widely known.

"eat shit, millions of flies can't be wrong" then.

The commercial industry and marketing work strong in you young consumer.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Originally posted by FreedomBlade

At this stage I do not have very high expectations as if this game was any good then it would have been more widely known.

Not necessarily, mainly because Ryzom is one of those niche games that no matter how awesome they are they will never be a mainstream success. Why? Ryzom, for example, caters to the explorers and crafters, elements of MMOs that are both used to having a backseat in comparison to combat when popular MMOs are in question. Most players simply won't find themselves in Ryzom because it's not what they've been conditioned MMOs are about.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • GilgameeshGilgameesh Member UncommonPosts: 412

Originally posted by randomt

Did they change it so that you can port without actually having visited both ends? Part of the fun is doing the TP runs heh (buying the ticket things so you can tp there from elsewhere)

It's not changed at all. I suppose he was trekked by his guild.

Nickname registered on www.mynickname.org

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Downloaded the game on my laptop, but it ran into problems. I'll try to get it running... can't wait as it looks like a real find.

• PorallPorall Member Posts: 11

Woot I'm sold.  Love the exploring, crafting style games.  To top it off it's skill based? Nice!  Waiting for Uncharted waters to start OBT and this looks like fun.  Thx for the info.