Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Still the greatest MMO world of them all

ReallyNow10ReallyNow10 Member UncommonPosts: 2,234

EQ1's Norrath.

Graphics are dated, and the revisions have taken away some of the charm, but EQ1 was a "world" and still feels that way even when I log in on occasion.

Just the game mechanics are too dated and folks have long abandoned many zones.  However, when I walk through Kelethin or Kaladim, it still feels like I am in a "world" and not some themepark zone.

Hoping EQ Next brings it all back.  WORLD, not themepark.

Comments

• ShadowzanonShadowzanon Member UncommonPosts: 350

Originally posted by ReallyNow10

EQ1's Norrath.

Graphics are dated, and the revisions have taken away some of the charm, but EQ1 was a "world" and still feels that way even when I log in on occasion.

Just the game mechanics are too dated and folks have long abandoned many zones.  However, when I walk through Kelethin or Kaladim, it still feels like I am in a "world" and not some themepark zone.

It may be true, however millions of people seem to prefer themeparks. probably because there is alot of fun in themeparks. have you been to one lately?

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

To each his own.   I played EQ for 2 days of free trial and then gave up because of the world.   It took forever to get anywhere, even within a single city.    I despise needless downtime in my games.    This is not to pick on EQ specifically, there are griffin rides in Wow that take 5 to 10 minutes of realtime.   That's 5 to 10 minutes of NOT playing while staring at the screen.     Poorly thought-out design or terrible timesink?   Either way, deplorable to me.

• tu_uilwentu_uilwen Member Posts: 794

I know i'll probably catch flames for this but I do agree with EQ1 it was huge and fun. But I really like the world of Azeroth (World of warcraft) I read alot of the books and played WC3 and I love being able to go throught all the cities and fighting the bosses and mobs that I've read about and seeing all the things rather then just reading about them. And there is alot of different things to see and alot of nooks and crannies.

---------------------------------------------
    WoW
    -Rhalon 85 B.E. rogue
    -Rhalon 81 UD Mage
    -Doneski 85 Orc death knight

"Everyones life has a beginning and an end, No one can change that."-Hiko
    "If you wish to taste the ground, then feel free to attack."-Kenshin Himura
    ---------------------------------------------

• foulu625foulu625 Member Posts: 177

Agreed. EQ pre-PoP was and still is the greatest thing an MMO could hope to be.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Originally posted by tu_uilwen

I know i'll probably catch flames for this but I do agree with EQ1 it was huge and fun. But I really like the world of Azeroth (World of warcraft) I read alot of the books and played WC3 and I love being able to go throught all the cities and fighting the bosses and mobs that I've read about and seeing all the things rather then just reading about them. And there is alot of different things to see and alot of nooks and crannies.

I agree. I have yet to see a more detailed and well crafted fantasy world than Azeroth in any MMORPG.

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

Everyone's first MMO is the greatest of all times.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• dirtysidedirtyside Member UncommonPosts: 82

swg's is still the best out therebut no one plays it

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Originally posted by lzanon

EQ1's Norrath.

It may be true, however millions of people seem to prefer themeparks. probably because there is alot of fun in themeparks. have you been to one lately?

EQ was a theme park. Well maybe not in the radical dumbed down sense of today's themeparks, but EQ was more linear than say, Ultima Online. 

The difference is it was well designed and felt like a functioning virtual world. Between the factions, the boat trips, the hidden passages, the 3D layout, it was fantastic. Yes I'd offer that Norath is still one of the greatest out there. However, I think Vanguard's Telon gives it a big run for its money. 

Originally posted by dirtyside

SWG's was really reeeeeeally empty. Just big expanses of flat land. Just because it had Jabba in that flat land doesn't make it the best. 

Originally posted by SwampRob

To each his own.   I played EQ for 2 days of free trial and then gave up because of the world.   It took forever to get anywhere, even within a single city.    I despise needless downtime in my games.    This is not to pick on EQ specifically, there are griffin rides in Wow that take 5 to 10 minutes of realtime.   That's 5 to 10 minutes of NOT playing while staring at the screen.     Poorly thought-out design or terrible timesink?   Either way, deplorable to me.

Methinks MMORPGs are not for you, if you can't handle a 5 minute griffin ride. You don't want to be in a social virtual world, you just want to teleport from action to action to action. If so, why play an MMO? They aren't good action games. With an attention span like that, mayhaps WarioWare is a good game for you? If you can't see the value of downtime, your loss. 

• Warpigeon05Warpigeon05 Member UncommonPosts: 24

Originally posted by uquipu

That's true, and mine was Star Wars Galaxie pre-"everything" and I can't find the same type of game in anygame outhere. I can't wait for Star Wars Galaxie 2.( Don't flame me, let me dream! )

Originally posted by deadangel05

That's true, and mine was Star Wars Galaxie pre-"everything" and I can't find the same type of game in anygame outhere. I can't wait for Star Wars Galaxie 2.( Don't flame me, let me dream! )

Not so much. You're just a fan of real MMORPGs. There's a clear break, around 2004 when real MMORPGs were replaced by mini game collections like WoW. The feel and style and design is entirely different. New kids blame nostalgia, smarter kids realize that the games being peddled as "MMOs" now, are hardly worthy of the name. They're almost an entirely different genre. I have managed to recapture the old MMO feel only once, during the Vanguard beta. 

• StormwindXStormwindX Member Posts: 168

I would like to disagree. My first MMOs were either Tibia or Ragnarok Online, and I consider neither of them to be the best ever. Actually, far from it!

• PriestrPriestr Member Posts: 39

Kind of true, but my first mmo was ultima online, and when i look back, i hated it....

Playing: Global Agenda / Vindictus
    -----------------
    Excited for: Guild Wars 2 / TERA / SWTOR
    -----------------
    Have Played: Ultima Online, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Lord of the Rings Online, Vanguard, CoH/CoV, EverQuest 1+2, Tabula Rasa, DDO, The Chronical of Spellborn, Warhammer Online, Age of Conan, Champions Online, Aion, FLYFF, ArchLord, Metin 2, DAoC, APB, CC, Darkfall and many many more
    -----------------
    Favorite MMO: Ultima Online

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,696

EQ1's Norrath.

Unfortunately, instancing is easier to implement from a dev point of view so I really don't see open worlds coming back. We should just be happy with a world that's big enough and accept the instancing.

Originally posted by jpnole

EQ1's Norrath.

Unfortunately, instancing is easier to implement from a dev point of view so I really don't see open worlds coming back. We should just be happy with a world that's big enough and accept the instancing.

Why should we accept lazy developers? Vanguard made probably one of the best game worlds to date, not a stitch of instancing. 30 devs from Greece managed to make Darkfall's Agon, no instancing. Personally, I can't stand instancing anymore, its just a bandaid for bad developers, and I don't support it. 

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

Originally posted by dirtyside

Not strictly true. My entire guild now play on a Pre-CU server with a few thousand other people.

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

True that.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,434

Originally posted by Priestr

Kind of true, but my first mmo was ultima online, and when i look back, i hated it....

UO was my first as well, and looking back; I actually think it was the best in regards to open world and no instancing. You could build just about anywhere, which made each server unique in that aspect. Players made their own towns. So really, how the world was crafted was purely up to the players.. what more could you ask for? oh yeah.. 3d.

• CavallCavall Member Posts: 272

Originally posted by Garvon3

Why should we accept lazy developers? Vanguard made probably one of the best game worlds to date, not a stitch of instancing. 30 devs from Greece managed to make Darkfall's Agon, no instancing. Personally, I can't stand instancing anymore, its just a bandaid for bad developers, and I don't support it. 

Almost 100% true. Certain things need proper instancing (such as storyline quests.) Just about every other thing possible should never be separated from the rest of the world. People shouldn't be spending 90% of their time inside an area that no other group can see them in! That takes the entire "MM" out of "MMORPG." GW had the right idea when they said "Guild Wars is NOT a MMORPG. It is just a PvP Online RPG. Sadly, games such as WoW are trying to destroy the line separating Call of Duty from EverQuest. No big surpise, seeing as Activision has been pulling Blizzard's strings for quite some time.

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

Originally posted by SwampRob

Methinks MMORPGs are not for you, if you can't handle a 5 minute griffin ride. You don't want to be in a social virtual world, you just want to teleport from action to action to action. If so, why play an MMO? They aren't good action games. With an attention span like that, mayhaps WarioWare is a good game for you? If you can't see the value of downtime, your loss. 

Just to clarify, I will soon be 50 so I have seen and played plenty enough games in that time to know which ones are for me.

I mentioned nothing about going from action to action to action.    But please don't try to tell me that a game not allowing you to do anything for 5 to 10 minutes at a time is doing you a favor.      If I want a break, I'll take one when I feel like it, and not when the game tells me to.

Originally posted by Cavall

Almost 100% true. Certain things need proper instancing (such as storyline quests.) Just about every other thing possible should never be separated from the rest of the world. People shouldn't be spending 90% of their time inside an area that no other group can see them in! That takes the entire "MM" out of "MMORPG." GW had the right idea when they said "Guild Wars is NOT a MMORPG. It is just a PvP Online RPG. Sadly, games such as WoW are trying to destroy the line separating Call of Duty from EverQuest. No big surpise, seeing as Activision has been pulling Blizzard's strings for quite some time.

Very very true. Whatever they marketed Guild Wars at, most modern MMOs should fall into that as well. I haven't seen a truly massive game in a while. 

• MithiosMithios Member Posts: 271

Originally posted by jpnole

EQ1's Norrath.

I don't buy it. That's like saying oatmeal is simpler to make from a cooks point of view rather than french toast. So when we go to a restaurant, we should just be happy it's food and not complain about the lack of flavor. All hail Black Burrow!

A tiny mind is a tidy mind...

• SkubnarSkubnar Member Posts: 21

For me it is WoWs Azeroth maybe cus it was my 1st MMO or mybe for the size of it. I never got bored of traveling around AzerothI spent hours exploring. I loved the Lore the Characters and the Areas. Ive played nealry all the main retail MMOS and nothing compares to what ive seen. Most off the other MMOS never grabbed me like WoW did so to be fair I didnt really see much off there worlds only Aion was another game that really grabbed me for a year . But Ive actually just started playing EQ2 I got it last night and I started a toon in Timorous Deep and it looked amazing espicaly the water at the starting area , waves crashing up against the rocks and you can see the sea spray and the sound is amazing also. Im really enjoying it so far, its alot more noob freindly than EQ1. And the quest givers actually speak to you which adds alot more atmosphere to the game.And the quest progression leads striaght to next hub it feels like im actualy part of the world and the war thats going on in the area im in. so far so good hope it gets better too

• slim26slim26 Member UncommonPosts: 645

Originally posted by lzanon

EQ1's Norrath.

LMAO