Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lag at dynamic events

dubledubdubledub Member Posts: 229

I don't know if events will ever get so big that it could become a problem, but seeing as the game is looking very popular at the moment there are likely to be a lot of players. If there was a dynamic event that took a long time it's going to attract more players as it completes (the longer an event, the more likely a player will stumble across it). Could this create a lag problem?

Comments

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

The Shatterer videos looked very smooth lag-wise, most of the players in there were Arena net testers connected to the game.

And there were about 50 players on there

But we will only discover this in stress tests during beta

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

well, for those who dont live in US/Canada there´s a high chance do experience some sort of "oh damn lag? not now come ON!!!" thing :p

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• NoEndInLifeNoEndInLife Member Posts: 189

Originally posted by dubledub

I don't know if events will ever get so big that it could become a problem, but seeing as the game is looking very popular at the moment there are likely to be a lot of players. If there was a dynamic event that took a long time it's going to attract more players as it completes (the longer an event, the more likely a player will stumble across it). Could this create a lag problem?

They keep mentioning that they want you to be happy when you see another player.

So I'm sure they're aware of the reasons why you wouldn't be happy(such as lag), and they will work on it.

Besides, they keep saying it's a large world and there are many dynamic event(srsly in the vids, "nearby event" kept popping up) so I doubt you will get more than 20 players in one simple event.

It'll probably only happen in launch day then after that everyone will be scattered across the world. 

"Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet." -Bob Marley

I'm probably one of those people who just get wet.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

The population should be split into 3 different worlds so, it should work out to even things out.

This is not a game.

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647

lag isnt a problem for mmo b/c ppl are used to it, its zone crash and server crash that would kill the game, like Warhammer.

• rbc13183rbc13183 Member Posts: 208

Your concern is a legitimate one. I've wondered the same thing. My thought is that the idea of instancing off each zone in the game (unlike WoW, where each zone is seamlessly connected with no load times) may actually turn out to play to Arenanet's advantage with the whole lag issue. While I would have honestly preferred zones that were totally seamless (like WoW did), I'm not even sure how possible it is with all of the stuffing that Arenanet is shoving into this game (i.e. Dynamic events). Just a guess though...

"Everyone dies. It is how one lives that matters."
    — Artemis Entreri (R.A. Salvatore)

"P.S. MAKE NO DEALS WITH THE WOLF." -Durzo Blint-

"But, there is one they fear.

In their tongue, he is Dovahkiin -- Dragonborn!" -Game of the Century-

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I bet final events and mass PvP will take place with hundreds of players... 

Network lag will not be a porblem nowerdays,

But graphical lag might be (I remember playing huge PvP battles in DAoC with 0.1 fps and lower)

This is the main reason that for normal gameplay system requirements are low...

But for these mass events you actually might need top of the bill hardware to get a reasonable performance wihtout graphical lag or dropping framerates.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• DreadbladeDreadblade Member Posts: 384

One can only hope that these will not be like the first sieges in WAR in which top end rigs were getting 1 FPS, but if I recall correctly lag was not much of an issue in GW.

• dubledubdubledub Member Posts: 229

How can this not lag..?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUVLclPDCBE

The fight looks insane

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

How can this not lag..?

The fight looks insane

Lag will mostly occur in the oceanics but yea, that looks insane and awesome.

This is not a game.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

How can this not lag..?
    The fight looks insane

How can one avoid getting hyped after watching vids like this one? Perhaps avoiding all kind of info until next year will help. Hmm...
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Imagine some endgame events with like 500 players fighting in a small area......(Or PvP WvWvW)

If you want to have those kinds of scenario's then you can not have any lag at all in a 50 people PvE encounter...

We will have to see how that works out with the larger battles.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

It is a legit concern. ANET do have some of the best programmers around and the engine seems very stable already but some of those large events could attract over 100 players and that is a lot of people.

The vids I seen seems lag free and that is a good sign but I think some lag is likely if too many people show up for something, particularly the first few days where everyone starts at the same place.

A top notch computer is probably needed also for 100+ persons in a event, I don't see how an old computer could run fine with so much people.

• dubledubdubledub Member Posts: 229

Originally posted by Loke666

It is a legit concern. ANET do have some of the best programmers around and the engine seems very stable already but some of those large events could attract over 100 players and that is a lot of people.

The vids I seen seems lag free and that is a good sign but I think some lag is likely if too many people show up for something, particularly the first few days where everyone starts at the same place.

A top notch computer is probably needed also for 100+ persons in a event, I don't see how an old computer could run fine with so much people.

The lag free though is probably because what they were using at gamescom is top of the range, to make sure there was no sign of lag.

I really hope that to be able to play a 100+ event you won't need a high end computer - that just seems to diminish all their efforts. It becomes a game that you can play almost all of on a low end computer

• TrollerTroller Member UncommonPosts: 13

The lag free though is probably because what they were using at gamescom is top of the range, to make sure there was no sign of lag.

I really hope that to be able to play a 100+ event you won't need a high end computer - that just seems to diminish all their efforts. It becomes a game that you can play almost all of on a low end computer

Anet has already stated that you do not need a top notch computer to run the game i hope there taking into account the player count in a event and such so well see how it goes in beta testing

Originally posted by Warsong

Well, since WoW is the worlds largest baby sitter I would imagine that college and sex is the next big adventure for WoW players.

• WarbandWarband Member UncommonPosts: 723

TBF though this isn't just some random problem during game development which A-Net has to deal with in a few sections of the game, the entire game is designed to have 50+ players in small areas of the game throughout the game world. If A-Net could not make sure there was a minimal amount of lag on the user end then they should not have even contemplated dynamic events.

It is a very legit concern but if A-Net has even the smallest bit of integrity the problem of lag would have to had to have been solved on a large range of computers before they even started advertising dynamic events unless they were consciously building themselves up for a big fall.   

• HunterhyenaHunterhyena Member Posts: 91

They said the game would run great on mid-ranged gaming PCs...I don't think there will be a lag problem unless your PC is 4 or 3 years old. Anet is for the people so Lag would have bean something they covered how to avoid a long time ago.

hehehe,hahahahaHAHAHAHA

laughing Hyena, get used to it -_-

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

It is a legitimate concern and one that we're not really going to have an answer to until beta or open beta or possibly even release.

However, as someone else said, there are a ton of dynamic events scattered throughout the world (as seen in the demos). While the tutorial events might get bogged down on the day of release, there are also plenty of events to keep the population spread out.

Hopefully our concerns are just that, concerns.

• AchillezAchillez Member UncommonPosts: 105

I thought I remember reading somewhere that when a dynamic event like that starts, it also instances itself around it. So that as new players enter the area, they will not see whats going on and will not see the players involved. Whether multiple instances of the same event can be going at once, I have no idea. But this would solve the lag issue as there would be a set number of people in the event and no new ones added.

Granted, I cannot prove this to be true, I just remember having read it somewhere. Anyone remember something similar?

• therez0therez0 Member Posts: 379

I remeber seeing the specs on the demo stations somewhere ( I will see if I can find a link) and I remember thinking that those rigs were not top-tier, maybe upper-mid-range at best for the current generation of hardware.

Also, we need to remember that there were Anet staff in those demos connected from their office in Bellevue, Washington--whether this means that the demo was servered locally at gamescon or remotely from their office remains to be known--but either way, it is good tidings since I didn't see any players lagging in the demos.

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

Originally posted by Achillez

I thought I remember reading somewhere that when a dynamic event like that starts, it also instances itself around it. So that as new players enter the area, they will not see whats going on and will not see the players involved. Whether multiple instances of the same event can be going at once, I have no idea. But this would solve the lag issue as there would be a set number of people in the event and no new ones added.

Granted, I cannot prove this to be true, I just remember having read it somewhere. Anyone remember something similar?

i hope thats not true because that is so close to phasing , and i for sure think they have stated that there will be no phasing.

I hold them to have said that events are persistant, and not instanced.