Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a Sandbox MMO.

JDirectorateJDirectorate Member Posts: 27

Hello everybody! As the threads title says, I'm looking for a Sandbox MMO! Runescape = My worst grinding experience ever. But aside from the grind I LOVED that game. I love how you could just never touch combat and just mine even though I never did do that I love how it was classless so you could, in theory make a super character with 99 in each stat. I saw some Mortal Online videos, they looked pretty cool. Reminded me of Oblivion. But I don't really like the whole first person thing. I've heard that Darkfall is fail but I'm not sure why. Is it the grind? If so is it worse then Runescape?

Peace, and thanks in advance guys.

If you want to play Dawn of War 2 online with me PM me.

Comments

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

I personally liked MO better than DF, though my experience with both only runs with the OB of the former, and the free trial of the latter. Thing is, DF is a first-person game too. The only time you are in third-person is when you have your melee weapon out, and in order to interact with NPCs and loot bags, you have to switch back to first-person. It really grinded my gears, and at least MO knows it wants to stay in first-person indefinitely. DF has a lot more going for it, but the UI and controls were a nightmare to me. Both games kinda suck now that I think about it, but I still consider MO the better of the two, even in the shitty state it was in during OB. Lots of high points to it's various lows.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• JDirectorateJDirectorate Member Posts: 27

Well I suppose I can cope with first person. But which game is in a better state right now? (Population, Bugs, Graphics, Animations, AI) Dude I just realized something. You've posted helpful replies on all my threads. Thanks dude you're a like a huge contributor.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

If you already haven't i suggest you take a peek at Fallen Earth.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.

I will right now.

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

I would say give DF a shot with the free trial. Dawntide is in an open beta of sorts at the moment, so you could try that out too. Heck, you might even want to give Wurm a shot since you can play some of it for free.

For the hell I gave GT for always suggesting Wurm to someone, he really ain't a bad guy.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• HaegemonHaegemon Member UncommonPosts: 267

Fallen Earth is another good one to look into, the free trial will definitely be enough to know if its the kind of game you're after.

Classless system, very GURPS in nature. You earn AP each level and get full choice on what stats/skills/mutation lines you improve.

Everything you do earns XP from gathering, crafting, killing or questing. As long as you're completing "at-level" grade of activities, you will be advancing your character for it.

Over 90% of all items are player-craftable, weapons, food stuffs, armor, mounts, etc. And its just fun to build a dune buggy with twin-linked MG's and go bombing around the wastes.

Faster-than-most MMO controls/gameplay. It's FPS/TPS-styled, but a little slower paced. Character-skill/die-roll still factors in for some hits (glancing vs direct, damage of weapon), but Player-skill/reflexes is the core Accuracy determination. Camera can be zoomed in/out to fit your taste, so you won't be locked into just one view.

Open developers who keep their players informed/up to date on updates, changes, etc. Along with this, their GM's are a constant pressence in the game so there's always a chat channel you can goto if you need emergency help (get stuck etc)

It's an Indie-game, which to me gives it more clout since they've made a really impressive world considering the limitations they were probably under. (So far was good enough to get the former lead designer poached to work on the Marvel MMO [not super-hero squad though, unannounced by way of official title/info atm.])

Graphiclly sells the world/setting. Blown up buildings, ruins/rebuilding. Granted, at best it's an ugly looking version of Fallout 3, but it has massive vistas, some genuinely impressive sights to see, and a thematic consistency a lot of games lack. (There is no obligatory Volcano or Hoth "level" of the game.)

Single-server, one great big world. While some extremely limited forms exist at high-level, the only "fast-travel" in the game is on your mount. In terms of scale, it was a 5-10min ride by dune-buggy from the northern most town of the first sector to the southern most town of the second depending on how often I stopped to scavenge materials up.

Lets Push Things Forward

I knew I would live to design games at age 7, issue 5 of Nintendo Power.

Support games with subs when you believe in their potential, even in spite of their flaws.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

the problem with the sandbox, other kids keep coming over into your sand and peeing and crapping in it when youre trying to have fun.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Originally posted by neorandom

the problem with the sandbox, other kids keep coming over into your sand and peeing and crapping in it when youre trying to have fun.

This unfortunately if the plague of FFA-pvp sandboxes like DFO and MO

Haegemon, currently the game has a fast-travel from sector tradehub to another, meaning 1 fast travel spot per sector.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.

I'm thinking of trying Darkfall or maybe trying Fallen Earth.

Originally posted by JDirectorate

Dude I just realized something. You've posted helpful replies on all my threads. Thanks dude you're a like a huge contributor.

Really? Well we'll have to do something about that, won't we?

FYI, Darkfall is *FAR* more 'complete' than MO, but MO is far better at it's core. Given a lot more time, and some serious updates, MO will be the better game - but for now - yeah, try the DF trial.

One credit I will totally give to DF is that the common mob's AI is miles ahead of most games.

• HaegemonHaegemon Member UncommonPosts: 267

Originally posted by Fusion

Originally posted by neorandom

This unfortunately if the plague of FFA-pvp sandboxes like DFO and MO

Haegemon, currently the game has a fast-travel from sector tradehub to another, meaning 1 fast travel spot per sector.

Are there usage limits/costs/etc with it?

I knew there was some in a limited fashion, hadn't gone looking for it to much in-game though. Still, it's not as pervasive/overdone as a lot of games.

Either way, going somewhere in-game still warrants more consideration that most recent titles. There is no "escape portal home" for all intents and purposes.

Lets Push Things Forward

I knew I would live to design games at age 7, issue 5 of Nintendo Power.

Support games with subs when you believe in their potential, even in spite of their flaws.

• gkb3469gkb3469 Member UncommonPosts: 148

Technically GT is some what right about MO being a better game with time. That being said MO needs a lot of time though. Given the same amount of time i think DF can pull out ahead. They already have plans for another expansion which will further expand the way the game is played.

Imo MO is kinda sluggish, almost as if i were dragging my character around instead of controlling him. The combat  was how you would expect a real fight with knights to be like but i cant really see anyone naked fighting like that. You strike a few times then catch your breath(wait for your AP to regen) wait for your opponents counter attack and try to block and so on and so forth until some one dies. DF has a more FPS/Shooter type of fighting style with people running all over the place beating the crap out of each other, which in my experiences have led to some of the best pvp i have ever been a part of ( 1 hour long fights/brawls, 50 vs 50 battle). Theres deffinitely strategy in both games.

I think MOs biggest downfall are the bugs and lack of any tangible AI. DF however will show you some of the best mob AI youll find on the market. The lowest lvl mob will give you a challenge.

When you first start you will die and you will die often. I never really had a problem with this.

Ive played quite a few trials and Darkfalls is by far the best you could ask for. You have access to everything in the game as soon as u enter. (of course theres noobie protection but it wears off in a few hours so u learn the game)

Im not exactly sure but i just found MO lacking in key areas. Darkfall is in no way the best mmo out there/ever but i find it far superior in its current state vs Mortal Online.

Edit: i also tried Eves trial and the game is superb. I just didnt like having to point and click to move and do everything. Wsad movement would have been nice. im gonna wait to see how Jumpgate evolution or black prophecy pans out.

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131

have you ever tried Saga of Ryzom? its a classless sandbox (mostly pve i believe tho) as well, like you get exp for each action you take not per kill. like say you pulled a mob with a nuke and then meleed it down the rest of the way. well you get exp in the caster tree for the one nuke and exp in the melee for each hit. and you unlock abilites as you level up the trees, its a fairly neat concept in how it works. i myself couldn't get into the art style of the game tho but others like it and it has a free trial its woth a shot.

• FreedomBladeFreedomBlade Member UncommonPosts: 281

Please don't make Ryzom sound good. It is the same old EQ clone in terms of combat, point at a mob to target it then press attack and your character starts chopping away.

I have tried Darkfall and it lacked sand as well as rides. I am trying Mortal Online and if you can cope with the rough edges it is the most like Ultima Online that there is. Also pre-ordered Xyson as it show good promise and the developer made Roma Victor probably one of the best sandboxes (and most buggy/least developed) around.

I really am not sure how anyone could class Ryzom as a sandbox though, it is quest lead from the get go with nothing new to add to the MMO genre. Perhaps it gets better later on by I can not stomach another shitty auto attack combat game. Especially after trying out Darkfall and Mortal Online games that have auto attack are just not acceptable in todays marketplace.

Originally posted by FreedomBlade

Please don't make Ryzom sound good. It is the same old EQ clone in terms of combat, point at a mob to target it then press attack and your character starts chopping away.

Don't discredit an awesome game.

It's got really good things going for it with the customizable combat actions, AI migration patterns and behavior, changing seasons and even the excavation minigame can be a blast in groups (boring as all hell solo though). Ryzom is a great game that is only sabotaged by it's low population, people want to keep with it, but the lack of other players creates a perpetual catch-22 that won't bring in new life.

• gkb3469gkb3469 Member UncommonPosts: 148

I have tried Darkfall and it lacked sand as well as rides. I am trying Mortal Online and if you can cope with the rough edges it is the most like Ultima Online that there is. Also pre-ordered Xyson as it show good promise and the developer made Roma Victor probably one of the best sandboxes (and most buggy/least developed) around.

I really am not sure how anyone could class Ryzom as a sandbox though, it is quest lead from the get go with nothing new to add to the MMO genre. Perhaps it gets better later on by I can not stomach another shitty auto attack combat game. Especially after trying out Darkfall and Mortal Online games that have auto attack are just not acceptable in todays marketplace.

Freedom brings up two valid points darkfall is centered on pvp and thats it. it has its moments but theyre all pvp moments. and after playing both darkfall and mortal online auto target makes me want to throw up a bit. It no longer makes sense to me. Im still going to try FF:XIV, SW:TOR, and GW2 bc theyre the next big titles and im a fan of video games.

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

Originally posted by JDirectorate

Hello everybody! As the threads title says, I'm looking for a Sandbox MMO! Runescape = My worst grinding experience ever. But aside from the grind I LOVED that game. I love how you could just never touch combat and just mine even though I never did do that I love how it was classless so you could, in theory make a super character with 99 in each stat. I saw some Mortal Online videos, they looked pretty cool. Reminded me of Oblivion. But I don't really like the whole first person thing. I've heard that Darkfall is fail but I'm not sure why. Is it the grind? If so is it worse then Runescape?

Peace, and thanks in advance guys.

There's really only one true sandbox these days thanks to the casual market crap!

EVE Online

And if you don't like EVE then....

Good luck!

• Kaelaan21Kaelaan21 Member UncommonPosts: 349

Originally posted by GTwander

It's got really good things going for it with the customizable combat actions, AI migration patterns and behavior, changing seasons and even the excavation minigame can be a blast in groups (boring as all hell solo though). Ryzom is a great game that is only sabotaged by it's low population, people want to keep with it, but the lack of other players creates a perpetual catch-22 that won't bring in new life.

My beef with Ryzom was the clunkyness of the game engine itself and the poor animations. I really wished that Ryzom felt smoother and offered animations that blended together based off the various stanzas used to create your own skills.

I was also disappointed with the world itself. Although mobs had migration patterns, the world itself was extremely static and doesn't really offer the same form of interaction as everything else in the game. Not being able to jump in a sandbox game is kind of silly. Especially when being forced to walk around the perimeter of a fence that is only 2 feet high. It also would have been nice to have npc and player made housing that allowed players to ... sit, use items in the scenery, etc. Wouldn't it be cool if Ryzom had resource collection that could only be accomplished in a tree canopy that you have to climb to get to?

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend Ryzom unless you don't mind an amazing idea (make your own skills, create your own content, etc) that was poorly executed (static landscape, poor UI, unfluid animations). Not to mention that I wouldn't want to put a bunch of time into character development only to have the game go out of business... again.

Back to the OP - Try out Eve. Just keep in mind it is a strategy game. Plain and simple. Great sandbox - but slow paced, high consequences and non-action based combat. I like it, but a lot of people go into the game expecting something else.

Fallen Earth was also a good suggestion - Does anyone know if they have removed the craftable items from the NPC merchants yet? That is what put me off from FE. The fact that you can buy anything from an NPC or player - so there is no real player economy.

Originally posted by Kaelaan21

Not being able to jump in a sandbox game is kind of silly.

I stopped reading after this part, the rest can be chalked up to the game being 6+ years old, but I am deathly sick of this argument. Use your ability to jump, and kindly do it off a bridge.

Not being able to jump in a sandbox game is kind of silly.

I stopped reading after this part, the rest can be chalked up to the game being 6+ years old, but I am deathly sick of this argument. Use your ability to jump, and kindly do it off a bridge.

Umm.. ya... no offense.. but since you didn't finish reading ... you missed the point where I was agreeing that the concept was great .. and yes .. I will even go as far as saying that it is because it's so old.

The whole jumping thing was a minor point and a very valid point. For a sandbox - it is odd that you cannot jump. If it was a theme park game like FF or GW1, then yeah .. I can understand.

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131

My beef with Ryzom was the clunkyness of the game engine itself and the poor animations. I really wished that Ryzom felt smoother and offered animations that blended together based off the various stanzas used to create your own skills.

I was also disappointed with the world itself. Although mobs had migration patterns, the world itself was extremely static and doesn't really offer the same form of interaction as everything else in the game. Not being able to jump in a sandbox game is kind of silly. Especially when being forced to walk around the perimeter of a fence that is only 2 feet high. It also would have been nice to have npc and player made housing that allowed players to ... sit, use items in the scenery, etc. Wouldn't it be cool if Ryzom had resource collection that could only be accomplished in a tree canopy that you have to climb to get to?

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend Ryzom unless you don't mind an amazing idea (make your own skills, create your own content, etc) that was poorly executed (static landscape, poor UI, unfluid animations). Not to mention that I wouldn't want to put a bunch of time into character development only to have the game go out of business... again.

Back to the OP - Try out Eve. Just keep in mind it is a strategy game. Plain and simple. Great sandbox - but slow paced, high consequences and non-action based combat. I like it, but a lot of people go into the game expecting something else.

Fallen Earth was also a good suggestion - Does anyone know if they have removed the craftable items from the NPC merchants yet? That is what put me off from FE. The fact that you can buy anything from an NPC or player - so there is no real player economy.

as i said i didn't get into it all that much BUT when it comes to sandbox games beggars can't be choosers... sadly. while those things you listed kept you from liking the game, some one in dire need for a sandbox may over look those things and enjoy it. it has a free trial so i figured it couldn't hurt for him to try it, was just a suggestion.

Originally posted by abyss610

as i said i didn't get into it all that much BUT when it comes to sandbox games beggars can't be choosers... sadly. while those things you listed kept you from liking the game, some one in dire need for a sandbox may over look those things and enjoy it. it has a free trial so i figured it couldn't hurt for him to try it, was just a suggestion.

You make a good point.

Another game the OP may want to try is Istaria (formerly Horizons). They have cleaned it up a bunch in terms of server side stability and client side bugs. It's a PvE sandbox where most of the items in game are player crafted. Also, players are able to work together on community oriented crafting projects. Things like bridges, wells, buildings, etc. Also, player housing is a big deal in Istaria. You will need carpenters, stonemasons, and other specialized crafters to build portions of the house. Also, to my knowledge, it's the only MMO that allows you to play a dragon from a hatchling all the way to flying adult.

Last I checked it was free to play for a single human character and you cannot own land. The monthly paid version allows you to choose from several races and multiple characters.

I stopped playing this game when I picked up Vanguard. 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Check out Ryzom and fallen earth.

• ProdudeProdude Member Posts: 353

"A Tale in the Desert"

http://www.atitd.com/

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177

I think that Darkfall is by far the funnest sandbox in the market and it is only getting better.

None of the games mentioned thus far can provide what Darkfall does. Try out the trial but keep in mind that your first 2 weeks is nothing compared to whats in store for you.

No other game has funner PVE/PVP imo because of Darkfall's fast-paced realistic combat and mobs AI. The game is meant to be played for a long time . .. I have been playing for 16 months and still have not experienced all of the content.

The opinions that you read about Darkfall are usually from trial-players or people who come from FPS games like COD and don't want character progression. To each thier own.

I think that MO is nothing compared to DF . ... makes me lawl that someone would say that but that is where opinion comes in I guess. Actually I think that no other game compares . .. I hated the game at first but WOW I have had some epic times that are not possible in other games.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA