Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game going to fail?

Comments

• dnarrisdnarris Member Posts: 267

Originally posted by Honeymoon69

not alot of info, u know the more they hide the shittier it gets.

While not my choice of words, I have to agree. I'm really excited about this game, but my excitement for it is gradually fading as I hear less and less about the game.

They don't seem to be keeping up the hype that is going to draw more attention to the game. Hopefully they release some decent information soon. I was really liking the videos they were releasing on the main DCUO site with various developers explaining aspects of the game.

Sure would like to see some more of those.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by MrPobears

I just found out SoE was behind DCU, and well,  SoE = Death to games, outside EQ1 and 2, SoE has been a really crappy company when it comes to MMOs.  I'm too afraid of subbing when it comes out, but damn I want to be a Green Lantern.

EQ2 was/is a very good MMO. And SWG was good until the NGE, and for some even after. I don't worry. So far I have not seen anything that makes me fear the game will fail. Try and see for yourself, I say.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

when this game has to compete with games like gw2... oh yea it will fail and it will fail hard.

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

Apples and oranges here guys.

Two completely different target audiences.. Saying it will fail because of gw2 is silly, for instance.

• EtraEtra Member UncommonPosts: 164

Originally posted by sungodra

when this game has to compete with games like gw2... oh yea it will fail and it will fail hard.

So you're going into every thread possible blindly promoting Guild Wars 2?

...Okay.

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

Originally posted by Etra

...Okay.

Don't mind him, he's going to be the first to be on here crying because he realized that GW2 is extensively instanced, or some other aspect of it that he is ignoring.

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

...Okay.

We have all seen the trailers , we have all seen the demos and gameplay. You tell me.

The op asked if this game would fail? I am giving my opinion and I am stating why I think it will.

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"

• Pest138Pest138 Member UncommonPosts: 114

I think this game has a better than average shot at being moderatley successful.

All of the game play videos I have seen look good, the developement team appears to be true fans(just my opinion) and they have been working on this for quite awhile.

I could comment on how other games have "failed" but that is not productive.

Oh ya, the limited instancing is some of the best news I have heard, Gotham and Metropolis being large non-zoned areas gives this game a leg up on many games that have taken the lazy route of instancing everthing.

Only time will tell but I hope this game is as good as it looks.

• tu_uilwentu_uilwen Member Posts: 794

What makes you....or anyone who would ask this think that we would know if it would fail or succeed? I know I am currently not able to go to DCUO and log in and play and tell you what I think lol. All we can do is what you can do and read previews, and interviews, and watch trailers and everything and hope that it does well if we are interested in it. i mean you will always have people who think they can tell you what will happen. But thats 1 person out of the world who has or will play the game and it doesn't decide the fate of the game or the opinions of others because of what one person says. Stop worrying and try the game when it comes out. If your really that nervous wait for the trial to come out or wait for people to play and try it out and tell you about it.

---------------------------------------------
    WoW
    -Rhalon 85 B.E. rogue
    -Rhalon 81 UD Mage
    -Doneski 85 Orc death knight

"Everyones life has a beginning and an end, No one can change that."-Hiko
    "If you wish to taste the ground, then feel free to attack."-Kenshin Himura
    ---------------------------------------------

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

...Okay.

We have all seen the trailers , we have all seen the demos and gameplay. You tell me.

The op asked if this game would fail? I am giving my opinion and I am stating why I think it will.

I think DCUO will do very well,  it may have somewhat dismal PC sales initially, or maybe even dismal PC sales across the life of the game,  but I bet you, since it is launching on PS3 as well,  it will probably become amazingly popular.

• SelkaSelka Member Posts: 11
  • eburneburn Member Posts: 740

Originally posted by Pest138

I think this game has a better than average shot at being moderatley successful.

All of the game play videos I have seen look good, the developement team appears to be true fans(just my opinion) and they have been working on this for quite awhile.

I could comment on how other games have "failed" but that is not productive.

I agree with this.

Is this game 1 year from now boast a player base of 5 million users monthly? Probably not.

The PROS: It's DC. It looks to truly be an actionMMO which a lot of people are looking forward to. It's got an atypical mission system and leveling system. PVP looks to be a big part of the game. It will probably be the most successful PC & PS3 massive multiplayer game released so far.

The CONS: Sony Online Entertainment is involved. There's a monthly fee  and a cash item shop attached to an actionMMO, this doesn't do very well. A lot of MMOers aren't in to the action style of game play and a lack of billions of buttons to play with. More than two different communities will mesh and that usually doesn't go well (DC fans, console fans, pc fans, MMO fans, and a few other factions).

Really it looks great. Sounds like it'd be a fun game to progress in and enjoy with others. The potential is there for it to be the most successful game of its type. But the potential, in MMO terms, to be a huge success just isn't there.

I'm going to wait to play it just because I hate SOE with a passion. Their online games division is lead by some greedy dipshits and I think people will notice this and go elsewhere.

Which is really sad because I think a truly unique and talented development team worked hard on a fresh game that's going to be ruined by poor business decisions.

I kill other players because they're smarter than AI, sometimes.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Well, if you know SoE's track record, you'd be afraid as well.  I wish WB was behind it, since they're the ones that backs DC movies, and shows.  Sony is  in the Marvel camp, which is another thing that bothers me.  So yeah, I'm concerened in many different ways.

WB didn't have an MMO studio yet, now they do, so who knows what the future holds for all of the ips they're related to.

DC will do fine. CoH did pretty good for it's scope and it was using no name heroes. DC has a lot of big super hero names to help bring in people that haven't touched MMOs at all.

The question is also what is your definition of failure? Is it not having a million players? Then yes all of the new MMOs will be failures. Is it a success if it is profitable? Then it will likely be a success.

I would put DCU at around ~ 100K PC subs once it steadies out a couple months in. PS3 will be higher, so combined it will likely be doing just fine really.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

@Original poster

It would be extremely hard to ruin a super hero MMO based on DC, especially considering their is no Marvel mmo to compete with it. 

That being said, the game is due to release in like 8 weeks and is still not in closed beta testing.  That should be a huge warning to anyone following the title.

This close to release, developers want to massively hype their game to get as much interest as possible.  So far most of what soe has shown people is closed and controlled.  With so little time before release it is going to be impossible to take any player feedback into consideration for the game.

The way this game is being handled reminds me to much of how warhammer rolled out.  All talk and little to no display.

My advice is to wait a few months before trying the game.  It might have a free trial by then, but if it does you can assume it isn't going very well.

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864

well my magic 8 ball is telling me to ask again later....guess we'll have to wait till release. =/

• dnarrisdnarris Member Posts: 267

I would imagine, unless there are ulterior motives, that they might push back the release unless they feel very comfortable with the amount of internal testing they've alraedy done.

As it was mentioned before, they might be viewing the beta as nothing more than a stress test of servers and perhaps a quick run down of bugs they may have missed in the alpha.

I'm willing to give them the benefit of a doubt until we see what kind of product they have to show us on the first day of the game.

That's when we'll really know how things went with their testing. Until them, I'm content with reading and posting speculation. If nothing else it at least keeps people talking about the game.

The one thing I've definitely been disappointed with is the fact they seem to be doing far less to keep the game fresh in the minds of the mmo community. Really would like to see more than an interview here and there.

• leilaopleilaop Member Posts: 35

im just scared itll be a solofest like CO x.x

Thinking of subbing back to CoX because its teamy but the gf is having second thoughts.

• Konner920Konner920 Member UncommonPosts: 295

god I hope it doesn't fail. It's the last hope I can see of a super hero MMO. :/

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by maskedweaselI

think DCUO will do very well,  it may have somewhat dismal PC sales initially, or maybe even dismal PC sales across the life of the game,  but I bet you, since it is launching on PS3 as well,  it will probably become amazingly popular.

I agree with you on PC sales...this is a genre that is already tapped quite successfully with CoH/CoV and I have seen nothing from DCUO that makes me think it will be "unique" enough to take away from an established game.

But do you honestly believe there is a large enough PS3 market willing to pay $15/mo for a console game? I just don't see it happening.

• jvxmtgjvxmtg Member Posts: 371

One thing I learned from previous failed MMO is - if I would need justification to play it, I'm not playing it.

That's because any game that needs me to be convinced had not convinced me yet, thus I'm not buying it. Of course I have been disappointed with games I was excited about (i.e. Age of Conan), but that's just few. Many games I don't even bother playing and I don't really care about.

If you're excited to play DCU, then play it - leave the politics outside of it.

Ready for GW2!!!
  • KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Taking the success of Batman : Arkham Asylum and the fact that it's also PS3 DCU has the potential to become a much larger success than CoX ever was. Whether the game will be any good or not we'll just have to wait and see.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by Kabaal

Taking the success of Batman : Arkham Asylum and the fact that it's also PS3 DCU has the potential to become a much larger success than CoX ever was. Whether the game will be any good or not we'll just have to wait and see.

I don't follow your logic...

Do you think Batman: AA was a success simply because it was a Batman game?! That's not it. I'm a DCU novice and I fell in love with that game.

Batman: AA was a success because the game was EPIC with the most intriguing story of any game last year plus amazingly solid gameplay and characters worthy of a movie...I guess anything is possible from DCUO, but I doubt even a fraction of Arkham Asylum's complexity and immersion will carry over to this MMO. There are simply too many reasons Arkham Asylum was a hit beyond the main character.

The only reason DCUO may be a hit (IMO) is because they're tapping the PS3 console market...but again...I don't know if console players are ready for $15 monthly MMO fees - DLC possibly, but I think monthly fees will work against the success of DCUO with the PS3 folk.

This will be an interesting title to watch though. If it is a success, look for a mass MMO migration to consoles.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by TUX426

Originally posted by maskedweaselI

think DCUO will do very well,  it may have somewhat dismal PC sales initially, or maybe even dismal PC sales across the life of the game,  but I bet you, since it is launching on PS3 as well,  it will probably become amazingly popular.

I agree with you on PC sales...this is a genre that is already tapped quite successfully with CoH/CoV and I have seen nothing from DCUO that makes me think it will be "unique" enough to take away from an established game.

But do you honestly believe there is a large enough PS3 market willing to pay $15/mo for a console game? I just don't see it happening.

totally agree, if it was a buy to play game like Guildwars.. then maybe.. but subscription on a console.. i dont really see it as being all that popular, short of pulling the rabbit out of the hat.... i dont think this games going to do even as well as Champions..

• SirBongsAlotSirBongsAlot Member UncommonPosts: 76

Well, if you know SoE's track record, you'd be afraid as well.  I wish WB was behind it, since they're the ones that backs DC movies, and shows.  Sony is  in the Marvel camp, which is another thing that bothers me.  So yeah, I'm concerened in many different ways.

WB and SoE are behind this one not just SoE

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by TUX426

Originally posted by Kabaal

I don't follow your logic...

Do you think Batman: AA was a success simply because it was a Batman game?! That's not it. I'm a DCU novice and I fell in love with that game.

No, more that it was and still is a huge success so is very much fresh in people's minds, with the artwork being similar for the two games DCU advertisements will be reminding people just how much they loved AA and possibly prompting them into buying a product the may not otherwise have done, as is the intention of most marketing. No matter how different the games probably are DCU still has the launch benefit of riding on the high hype for the other game, something which neither CoX nor CO had.

This discussion has been closed.