Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ryzom is simply the best land based sandbox currently

124»

Comments

• Miner-2049erMiner-2049er Member Posts: 435

I enjoyed Ryzom when I played it. It had a lot of good features and I found the community mostly helpful. I loved the gathering aspect and the stanzas were cool.

I kinda feel like logging on again, although I don't have it installed on this PC. It had a lot going for it but it just lacked the invisible hook that would keep me playing.

I agree that it needs a few more players to attract a few more players. Still, if you've never tried it, it's at least worth a look to see something a little different.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Originally posted by Miner-2049er

I enjoyed Ryzom when I played it. It had a lot of good features and I found the community mostly helpful. I loved the gathering aspect and the stanzas were cool.

I kinda feel like logging on again, although I don't have it installed on this PC. It had a lot going for it but it just lacked the invisible hook that would keep me playing.

I agree that it needs a few more players to attract a few more players. Still, if you've never tried it, it's at least worth a look to see something a little different.

I blame that invisible hook on the playerbase.

They hardly talk about the stuff they do at high skill levels.

When I played it was like getting blood from a stone. to get info out of them for anything outside newb topics were so difficult.

Ask about rare crafting/gathering? POS warfare? High end raiding? watch your questions fall on deaf ears.

The community is welcoming but at the same time is very protective of what they have accomplished and refuse to share.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780

o well

Originally posted by Mad+Dog

o well

Yeah it sucks.

Think about it. If those guys would have actually shared some info on high level mechanics you would have had the motivation to keep playing Ryzom.

The players in game do it to themselves.

Edit: Do you know where that nice shiny NPC armor comes from that the vets wear? has any of them shared any info on how to make those amazing Amps they hand out at skill levels 200+?? Of course not, if they did then they wouldnt be special anymore.

Its almost pathetic tbh.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

Has it changed after the tutorial island ?  Cause i remember playing Ryzom, loved the beginner zone, many quests, many peoples but once you left the island felt it was a completly different game, by that i mean lack of quests, direction and peoples to play with.

Originally posted by Aguitha

Has it changed after the tutorial island ?  Cause i remember playing Ryzom, loved the beginner zone, many quests, many peoples but once you left the island felt it was a completly different game, by that i mean lack of quests, direction and peoples to play with.

They added more quests but its basically the same. once you get to around skill level 100 or so you need to hunt (grind) and the population is as small as ever.

Its old school, Missions were never intended to be the focus of the game, the tutorial isle wrongfully pulls a bait and switch on new players.

sorry but you lost me after saying yeah it sucks.  No idea what your going ona bout.

Well I can put up with the tab target game play, is there any pvp in htis game? And do you loose anything if you get killed?

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

Originally posted by Mad+Dog

Well I can put up with the tab target game play, is there any pvp in htis game? And do you loose anything if you get killed?

Yes, but it's not going to be PvP like WoW or Darkfall. There are two main factions. There are also outposts you can capture and hold for resources. Guilds from each faction will attack outposts for resources. The battles are formal though. You can't just randomly bring a guild up to an OP and attack it.

A war-dec is made, the defenders gather at the set time and the battle is on. The war can't go on forever, there is a set time for the attackers to win. If the defenders are successful in keeping the attackers at bay, they keep the OP. If the attackers push out the defenders, they then have to successfully defend the OP once. If they do that, it's now their OP.

Also, the defenders have a group of NPC guards to help in defending.

The problem is the population is so low that there are really only two big guilds now that keep these OP wars going. At least that's what I've read. Don't quote me on it.

Ryzom as a game is very good with the potential to be great. I still haven't seen another MMO that has a world that feels as alive as Ryzom. It's caught in a vicious catch-22 though. The devs need money to make the game even better, but they need paying players to do this. Paying players aren't sticking around because the game is showing its age and has a small population.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• RiotgirlRiotgirl Member UncommonPosts: 520

Originally posted by Nizur
    I still haven't seen another MMO that has a world that feels as alive as Ryzom. It's caught in a vicious catch-22 though. The devs need money to make the game even better, but they need paying players to do this. Paying players aren't sticking around because the game is showing its age and has a small population.

That's the real tragedy. The lack of conviction from a myriad of developers in the potential of the game - as well as the flat-out byzantine resistance to advertising the product (!?) - probably means that the game will never escape this cycle. Developers do not have to promise the moon and fail (which really kills off games), but rather like CCP have done with Eve Online, gradually release incremental developments to improve the game over time.

Stabalize the player-base, gradual but continued small developments, actually advertise, and under-promise and over-deliver. Oh, stay true and committed to the core of the game re: sandbox. Aside from over-promising and under-performing, nothing hurts a game and causes subscribers to leave the game in droves more than performing a 180 degree change to the core game.

With regards to game-related queries, how does Ryzom Ring work in practice? What type of events can players create? How comprehensive and intuitive are the tools to allow players to create content? Is this content ephemeral, semi-permanent and/or permanent?

I see so much potential to create a mixture of content that has degrees of permanence, (which, in my opinion, should become progressively harder to achieve in relation to the degree of permanence i.e. permanent structures should require a LOT of resources and time - and perhaps require defending / maintaining as they should degrade over time) but how has such potential actually been implemented?

Cheers!

"If you think I'm plucky and scrappy and all I need is love, you're in way over your head. I don't have a heart of gold or get nice. There are a lot nicer people coming up. We call them losers."

• GilgameeshGilgameesh Member UncommonPosts: 412

Originally posted by Riotgirl

With regards to game-related queries, how does Ryzom Ring work in practice? What type of events can players create? How comprehensive and intuitive are the tools to allow players to create content? Is this content ephemeral, semi-permanent and/or permanent?

I see so much potential to create a mixture of content that has degrees of permanence, (which, in my opinion, should become progressively harder to achieve in relation to the degree of permanence i.e. permanent structures should require a LOT of resources and time - and perhaps require defending / maintaining as they should degrade over time) but how has such potential actually been implemented?

Cheers!

About the Ring:

1. The scenarios are instanced and hosted into a specific server (the ring server). Scenarios can be cross-server in relation to the game servers, that means you can decide to open your scenario to any localized community. There are three localized servers in Ryzom: Aniro (french), Leanon (german) and Arispotle (english - international). That means, people from different servers can meet in a scenario.

2. The hosting player must be logged into the scenario (as a normal player or a game-master, depending the choosen type of scenario;

3. The Ring content at disposal to the player in the editor is linked with a value called "knowledge of Atys". This knowledge of Atys value depends by how much the player knows about the world (it's the number of spawn points the player gained, for each ecosystem, exploring the world);

4. The editor requires a bit of experience to use. It's wysiwyg, and the ability to test everything while editing make the things a bit easier. You can make almost everything with the editor, in the constraints of the game, that means, you can add any kind of animal into it but you cannot "invent" an animal that doesn't exists in the world. In example, you will not be able to create a level 250 Great Yubo :)

5. You have a lot of tools in the editor: you can create triggers, dialogs, and different behaviours. You can create a dungeon type scenario, a quest-line scenario, a region with different, separated quests or just a theatrical scenario. Also, you can divide the scenario in different "acts", and for each act you can choose a different land. Regions to be used in a scenario are prebuilt maps listed in the editor. With the definition of "sequences" you can script the entire AI of the enitities in the scenario. Also the editor has some "prebuilt" tasks you can pick to ease the job;

6. A running scenario is a single instance, that means every player that enter it will land in the same place;

7. Any object created in the scenario will not survive in the real world. Any reward you want to give to people must be given outside the scenario itself;

8. A scenario can be "masterless" (automatic) or "mastered" (the owner plan to stay as a game master into, invisible to the players, but with the ability to change things "on the fly", using user-triggers), it can be open or invitation-only or partially opened to speific faction;

9. It's not possible to gain experience in the Ring scenarios, nor it's possible to build harvestable spots. Also, there is no way to define an area "for pvp".

Hope this summary is enough clear.

The Ring is an awesome tool, despite some improvement would be appreciated.

Problems are:

- the hosting player blocked into the scenario for the duration of the scenario itself. Not a problem for "mastered" scenarios but, obvioulsy a lot frustrating with "masterless" scenarios.

- some behaviour is not clear and need some work to make it acting exactly as you want.

- you cannot make different instances of the same scenario, for different teams, unless different players run the same scenario at the same time. Once a player enter in the ring it will be kicked out of the team, if teamed. Teams must be reformed into the scenario. That's because the players are disconnected from the game server and logged into the ring server, tho they still have access to all the chat channels and listed in the various game lists (friends, guild)

- they are not permanent.

Despite some limitations, with the Ring a player can create a lot of things, from a simple peaceful region used as a meeting point, to a complex dungeon with many different goals.

Nickname registered on www.mynickname.org

• ryuga81ryuga81 Member UncommonPosts: 351

Originally posted by Rockgod99

considering this game released around the same time WoW did.

That's why I said it needs a new engine, something like the Eve Trinity update or the upcoming (?) Anarchy Online overhaul... models, animations and game world are definitely obsolete...

• RiotgirlRiotgirl Member UncommonPosts: 520

An extremely comprehensive and comprehensible explanation, Gilgameesh. Thank you!

Final question: is it possible to save Ring scenarios that one has created? If so, it would save so much time and effort, and allow one to not only run scenarios on the fly, but also re-work existing scenarios based upon player feedback, to tweak and improve them.

I can understand why scenarios are non-permanent; nevertheless, I feel that Ring events are an extremely cool conception.

Cheers!

"If you think I'm plucky and scrappy and all I need is love, you're in way over your head. I don't have a heart of gold or get nice. There are a lot nicer people coming up. We call them losers."

Originally posted by Riotgirl

An extremely comprehensive and comprehensible explanation, Gilgameesh. Thank you!

Final question: is it possible to save Ring scenarios that one has created? If so, it would save so much time and effort, and allow one to not only run scenarios on the fly, but also re-work existing scenarios based upon player feedback, to tweak and improve them.

I can understand why scenarios are non-permanent; nevertheless, I feel that Ring events are an extremely cool conception.

Cheers!

Absolutely yes. Scenarios are saved in your hard disk as text files. The system uses Lua scripting language to generate a scenario. There is an internal checksum, tho, so it's not possible to edit the file outside the ring editor.

Advantages are that you can save and edit scenarios as many time you want, you can decide in the editor, if a scenario can be edit by other people or other people can run-only it, if you have passed the text file to others.

If you don't give the saved file to anyone, it lives only into your hard disk.

When you start a scenario, the text file is uploaded to the ring server and then run.

Cheers :)

• HippieAbidesHippieAbides Member Posts: 17

I tried it. Couldn't get past the graphics - it uses WoW's art style which I can't stand and the polygon count looks like something on a PS1.  Same thing turned me off WAR - low poly count plus people's feet never really seemed to look like they were touching the ground. I know, I know - gameplay, gameplay, gameplay - but if that's all I was looking for I'd still be playing Jedi Outcast.

Originally posted by HippieAbides

I tried it. Couldn't get past the graphics - it uses WoW's art style which I can't stand and the polygon count looks like something on a PS1.  Same thing turned me off WAR - low poly count plus people's feet never really seemed to look like they were touching the ground. I know, I know - gameplay, gameplay, gameplay - but if that's all I was looking for I'd still be playing Jedi Outcast.

Sorry, I respect your opinion but comparing Ryzom art style with WoW art style means you have few understanding of what "art style" means.

Said that, it's true that the graphic is old, but for it's age is absolutely awesome, as long as u turn on all the settings and use a bit of bloom (that's disabled by default).

WAR is absolutely crap compared to Ryzom. I think you have not seen the entire world and not maxed everthing.

Low graphic details has nothing to do with "art style".

Anyway you are right saying it's dated compared to more modern MMO such as Lotro and AoC.

• Gardavil2Gardavil2 Member Posts: 394

Ok, Ryzom has been toying with my brain for over a year... during which time I had decided to pass by this gem of a MMO due it's real life ownership problems. I had said in another thread that Ryzom is like a used car sold off to too many people in the neighborhood... no way of knowing what you were really going to get and never knowing if someone else didn't have a legal claim on the car.

I still feel that way to be honest.

HOWEVER, since most Developers now have shackles welded to their ankles and don't even get Hotpockets from their task masters for snacks anymore, I feel as if the MMO genre as I knew it... from the old days...is dead. Perhaps it is time for me to put up or shut up about how great Ryzom and other sandbox style MMOs are. It is time for me to visit Ryzom again, this time with the intent on staying and supporting the game for awhile. It is time for me to put my money where my mouth is and support a sandbox MMO again. I did that with EVE even though I sucked in that one, missed my chance in SWG pre-"brain*fart", so now it's time to give Ryzom some real support that will help keep the lights on and keep the Devs free to roam and cause mischief with plenty of Hotpockets and Mountain Dew to graze upon ;)

I guess if I want more sandbox MMOs the only incentive that would seem to work is to spend my money on a sandbox MMO, no matter how it's funded and paid for. Maybe Ryzom would be stable if I and others did this.

So the fans of Ryzom... you guys and gals that have advertised it here... your plan worked at least in my case. Just keep beating them drums....

Will be joining you all on Ryzom shortly. I can't wait to see the critters again, both creatures and Players alike :)

I am the Player that wonders... "What the %#*& just happened?!"
    "I Believe... There should be NO financial connection or portals between the Real World and the Virtual in MMOs. "
    __Ever Present Cockroach of the MMO Verses__
    ...scurrying to and fro... .munching on bits of garbage... always under foot...

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Originally posted by Rockgod99

Originally posted by Miner-2049er

I blame that invisible hook on the playerbase.

They hardly talk about the stuff they do at high skill levels.

When I played it was like getting blood from a stone. to get info out of them for anything outside newb topics were so difficult.

Ask about rare crafting/gathering? POS warfare? High end raiding? watch your questions fall on deaf ears.

The community is welcoming but at the same time is very protective of what they have accomplished and refuse to share.

Ok, that's the sort of sign I've been looking for in an mmo. That's very suggestive of an mmo that's got something that you can only earn through experience of the game. I am tempted to try this game?

But does anyone have any decent links to vids of the gameplay? That would help a lot.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6ctSWRqyLk  This is the only decent vid I found of some higher lvl characters. Spell animations are very flashy in Ryzom. Last time I was in pvp I couldn't see my charcter becous of that. =P But they are very preety and they get preetier as you lvl up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL1-79ZJ3G8

This is mmohut first impression video showing some newbie island gameplay. At least it's in hd and you can see something.

But you should give it a try. 21 day trial, small download and as they say on the official site. registration really takes you 20 sec. =p

Originally posted by MumboJumboBut does anyone have any decent links to vids of the gameplay? That would help a lot.

Well, since it seems MadSam is distracted by summer vacations, I give his link here:

http://www.ryzom-movies.de/

MadSam collected a lot of Ryzom videos, self-produced or from other people. Enjoy them.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

Originally posted by Xianthos

Originally posted by Z3R01

There is no denying it.

Ryzom destroys games like Darkfall & mortal online.

It offers a true community (even though its small), true choice and an immersive world with lore that can be changed by the player officially through events.

Ryzom is the last of the true sandbox games, ripped from the loins of games like SWG, AC and AO we have ryzom the only game that offers true spell customization, player scenario creation, a living breathing world and a community that cares for one another.

No instances, a true challenging game world.

Saga of Ryzom... I give my full endorsement of the greatest sandbox game since Swg.

If this is "The sandbox" game why there aint 300k people playing it?

I would sugges thinking about it then start claiming "bla bla bla best bla bla bla (put the name of MMO in here)".

Its all about personal taste.

I hat to lol about "Ryzom destroys games like Darkfall and mortal online" :) How it is destroying them? By having bigger playerbase?

For the simple fact that a MINORTY want sandbox games, whilst the vast majority are quite content with the current offering of theme park games available. It's the vocal minority who whine and whine about a lack of good sandbox games available, and then turn on a company as soon as they try to satisfy their wishes (think Darkfall and Mortal Online). There's a very good reason why millions upon millions of people play theme park MMO's, and almost every single sandbox MMO struggles to muster a few thousand players together.

What's ironic is that the game everyone is whining about already exists in the form of Ryzom. Instead of supporting it by flocking to it, they continue to complain and drift from game to game.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

Originally posted by Lydon

Originally posted by Xianthos

Originally posted by Z3R01

There is no denying it.

Ryzom destroys games like Darkfall & mortal online.

It offers a true community (even though its small), true choice and an immersive world with lore that can be changed by the player officially through events.

Ryzom is the last of the true sandbox games, ripped from the loins of games like SWG, AC and AO we have ryzom the only game that offers true spell customization, player scenario creation, a living breathing world and a community that cares for one another.

No instances, a true challenging game world.

Saga of Ryzom... I give my full endorsement of the greatest sandbox game since Swg.

If this is "The sandbox" game why there aint 300k people playing it?

I would sugges thinking about it then start claiming "bla bla bla best bla bla bla (put the name of MMO in here)".

Its all about personal taste.

I hat to lol about "Ryzom destroys games like Darkfall and mortal online" :) How it is destroying them? By having bigger playerbase?

For the simple fact that a MINORTY want sandbox games, whilst the vast majority are quite content with the current offering of theme park games available. It's the vocal minority who whine and whine about a lack of good sandbox games available, and then turn on a company as soon as they try to satisfy their wishes (think Darkfall and Mortal Online). There's a very good reason why millions upon millions of people play theme park MMO's, and almost every single sandbox MMO struggles to muster a few thousand players together.

What's ironic is that the game everyone is whining about already exists in the form of Ryzom. Instead of supporting it by flocking to it, they continue to complain and drift from game to game.

Probably because a lot of people haven't heard of Ryzom. I know I hadn't before I started browsing this website. I ended up trying it a while back, I would have stuck with it if I hadn't had some weird lag problem that was ruining the game for me. I bet if it was advertised properly as a sandbox game on multiple websites it would get a larger crowd playing it. Maybe not the nice sandbox crowd it has now though.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Originally posted by TwilightEdge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6ctSWRqyLk  This is the only decent vid I found of some higher lvl characters. Spell animations are very flashy in Ryzom. Last time I was in pvp I couldn't see my charcter becous of that. =P But they are very preety and they get preetier as you lvl up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL1-79ZJ3G8

This is mmohut first impression video showing some newbie island gameplay. At least it's in hd and you can see something.

But you should give it a try. 21 day trial, small download and as they say on the official site. registration really takes you 20 sec. =p

Thanks for these. The MMOHut vid was great. The game has a nice atmosphere, just a shame he realises that he's not seeing the game.

What particular features Ryzom such a good sandbox game?