Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Could limiting Everquest Extended f2p to one faction make it a rather boring game experiance ?

OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

One of the things I thought would be quite enjoyable about EQ2ex would be the faction play so I was quite suprised that the f2p experiance was only limited to one of the three factions . I understand they need to have pay to play classes but to me it would have made more sence to spead them over the three factions . This alone has put me off playing it because I get the feeling its going to be a rather dull experiance with one faction dominating the game . Big mistake in my opinion . Hopefully they'll change this in time but it is SOE after all they get one thing right in offering a free to play experiance then mess it up in its implimentation .

Comments

• DrilDril Member Posts: 107

There aren't factions (in the WAR/WoW sense) in EQ2. There's good and evil on PvP servers. That's it.

RIFT was a *crushing* disappointment; a shallow, loveless, generic MMO the likes of which hasn't been seen in a P2P format since, well, forever.

Eagerly awaiting: World of Darkness, ArcheAge.

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

Originally posted by Dril

There aren't factions (in the WAR/WoW sense) in EQ2. There's good and evil on PvP servers. That's it.

I thought they'd implimented something similar to wows battlegrounds . Perhaps these wont be made available on the Extended version then ?

• Demonspirit8Demonspirit8 Member Posts: 54

evil,good,neutral are all avail in f2p version you just have to remember that factions are class locked. an example would be the necro cannot be good aligned.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

one of 3 factions? What?

EQ2 doesn't have main factions.  PvP servers are limited to good vs. evil but even those are only TWO.  Are you sure you're playing the right game?

Or to help me understand what you mean, you say EQ2x is "limited to only ONE faction", which faction do you think it's limited to?

p.s. battlegrounds have nothing to do with any factions.  it's just random people put into random groups.  i am not sure if it's available on eq2x though.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Yeah... what factions man? EQ2 has allignments that you choose during character creation, but which can be switched during gameplay via quests if your class doesn't prevent you from doing so.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

Races are good, evil or neutral (all of the free ones being neutral). Classes are also good, evil and neutral. Character alignments, on the other hand, are good and evil... OK, and Betrayed, which can amount to "me against the world".

Starting city alignments are technically just good and evil. Qeynos and Freeport (no longer starting areas) are pretty well locked down, and VERY dangerous to the opposite side. Neriak is even more locked down then Freeport, since you can't enter on a ferry bell and there is no sewer system to evade the ever-present guards. Kelethin isn't so dangerous for evil characters (on PVE servers), since apparently only royal guards are KOS (kill on sight). New Halas and Gorowyn are pretty neutral in outlook, though technically aligned to Q and F; I'm not sure if Halas has any KOS guards, but I have heard that Gorowyn has a few.

Obviously I've only had a cursory glance at the game . Since several people have refered to them as factions in these forums I made the assumption factions exist .  How does this translate into the everquest 2 battleground play later in the game . Do aliengments come into play in the end game ? So given most people will be playing neutral will it effect it at all ? Given I know a lot of people I ve spoken to in other games and seen post in these foums have obviously the same concerns and confusion as me perhaps this would be a good place to set the record straight .

Many thanks for any help that can make it a little clearer .

Originally posted by OkhamsRazor

Obviously I've only had a cursory glance at the game . Since several people have refered to them as factions in these forums I made the assumption factions exist .  How does this translate into the everquest 2 battleground play later in the game . Do aliengments come into play in the end game instanced pvp ? So given most people will be playing neutral will it effect it at all ? Given I know a lot of people I ve spoken to in other games and seen post in these foums have obviously the same concerns and confusion as me perhaps this would be a good place to set the record straight .

Many thanks for any help that can make it a little clearer .

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

On regular (PvE servers) you choose to start as either "good" or "evil", this is called your "alignment".  This determines which city you start in and for 3 or 4 quests (out of 5000+) you get a slightly different text depending on that alignment.  Certain classes can also be only good or only evil - they've recently reduced the number of such classes.   Regardless of your alignment, you can still travel anywhere in the game, group with anyone in the game and talk with anyone in the game.  

When you do battlegrounds, you queue up and you and a bunch of random people are ported into battleground and put on a team randomly (unless you're pre-grouped).  Your choice of alignment has no bearing on who you're grouped with.  Good people group with Evil people and so forth.  No one in eq2 cares if you're good or evil except Roleplayers and even they generally tend not to fixate on it.  99% of guilds and 100% of raid guilds have players of both alignments.

On the PvP server ( i am not sure if eq2x has a pvp server, doubt it), the alignments work like factions in other games and cannot group, etc.  PvP in EQ2 is generally terrible so very few people play on that server.

There ARE Factions in EQ2.  There are several sets of them. They are usually groups of NPCs that give you quests and when you complete a bunch of quests for them you can either get a cool title or buy some appearance slot armor or sometimes usable items.  None of these have any significant bearing on the rest of the game.  They're usually specific to a dungeon or a city or a specific zone.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

Originally posted by arieste

On the PvP server ( i am not sure if eq2x has a pvp server, doubt it), the alignments work like factions in other games and cannot group, etc.  PvP in EQ2 is generally terrible so very few people play on that server.

Uh, Nagafen (PvP) has the second-highest population among the EQ2 live servers. I can think of at least two good reasons not to play there any more, but lack of people isn't one of them.