Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

sto and neverwinter poll

given the recent annoncement of sto content being made (ugc) and the features mentioned about neverwinter, do you think sto is a test platform for neverwinter?

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

Comments

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

bump

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

• saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381

I don't think that NWN has been their end-game - that would imply that these clowns have goals beyond "get as much money as we can while laying out minimal effort".

I think it's more along the lines of the net big IP with a lot of name recognition that they can slap on their craptastic engine as a label to get more money.

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by saxifr

I think it's more along the lines of the net big IP with a lot of name recognition that they can slap on their craptastic engine as a label to get more money, until such time as the IP gets yanked away from them in the Hasbro lawsuit. 

Fixed that a bit for you.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

What does D&D have to do with space combat? And the ground combat in STO is the worst combat system ever seen in an MMO. So I would say no to STO being a test bed.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by artemisentr4

What does D&D have to do with space combat? And the ground combat in STO is the worst combat system ever seen in an MMO. So I would say no to STO being a test bed.

You are looking at it he wrong way: Instead of looking at the IP/genre, look at the mechancis of the game. Forget about spacships, phasers, swords, and magic, and look at the heavy instancing with tiny populations, the feel of being in a single player game with limited multiplayer options and chat, etc.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

I always thought their games all had the same exact combat system. CoH, CO, STO (On ground) it all felt exactly the same. If this game plays out exactly the same, it won't be much of a suprise.

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927

They don't have the same combat systems, thankfully.   CoH and CO's are pretty good.

On topic, I don't think its an all out test bed.  I think there will be elements though.

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

It defies credulity to think that the Star Trek IP was licensed merely to serve as a test platform.

It would be like buying a lamborghini just to see if it would fit in the garage you built for the ferrari you plan to buy.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

Originally posted by grapevine

They don't have the same combat systems, thankfully.   CoH and CO's are pretty good.

On topic, I don't think its an all out test bed.  I think there will be elements though.

You do realize these weekly episodes are a test run of the UCG system ?  It's just being done by the Devs, an Alpha test , if you will.

• mezlabormezlabor Member Posts: 133

I dont know if all of STO is a testbed for nwn. And I dont think it was planned that way. But I am sure that the ugc coming for sto is a testbed for nwn ugc.

• zimmy910zimmy910 Member UncommonPosts: 190

I won't touch anything from this company with a 10 foot pole, so testbed or no, I am staying away from NWN.