Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• FreedomBladeFreedomBlade Member UncommonPosts: 281

That is nothing to get excited about.

EQ 1 was not exactly a good game it was just one of the only MMOs out at that time. It was very popular but unfortunately the basic game design became the template for future MMOs eventually spawning WOW which completely ruined MMO gaming in my opinion.

So I am far from excited about an EQ 3. It will be a console friendly even more dumbed down version of 2.

• eLdritchZeLdritchZ Member Posts: 83

Originally posted by FreedomBlade

EQ 1 was not exactly a good game it was just one of the only MMOs out at that time. It was very popular but unfortunately the basic game design became the template for future MMOs eventually spawning WOW which completely ruined MMO gaming in my opinion.

So I am far from excited about an EQ 3. It will be a console friendly even more dumbed down version of 2.

so everybody who played EQ or is still playing it or liked it, is an idiot?

listen mate... if you liked UO or whatever better, that's completely fine... but saying stuff like that makes you look quite pretentious and douchey...

I personally was not an EQ fan... tried it but didn't like it too much... just like UO. I jumped into MMOs with DAoC... that doesn't mean everybody who likes another MMO is stupid, though...

I'm definetely gonna take a look at EQNext... might be good... allthough I'm looking forward to PlanetsideNext even more ;)

<S.T.E.A.L.T.H>
    An Agency that kicks so much ass it has to be written in all capital letters... divided by dots!
    www.stealth-industries.de

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

F2P and heavy Cash Shop driven.

That's what it's gonna be.

• depaindepain Member Posts: 263

Get ready to be nickel & dimed to death.

My guess is this: SOE will see if EQ2X is profitable. If it's a big hit within the FTP realm, then EQ3 will most likely spawn as an Item Shop MMO with a $10.00 monthly sub.

• TelilTelil Member Posts: 282

Im going to try to look at this without the dark coloured glasses and give it a chance!

Big fan of original EQ and looking forward to a challenging game. something i have been looking for for years since Velious. If its crap then i will keep looking :) not bothered about who makes it or thier history. Not bothered about thier other products, just going to give it a shot :)

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Do you realize how ignorant that makes you sound? It is more the evident you nevered truely played the game. EverQuest is vastly different to WoW in almost every way. Character selection, mode of travel, player skills, etc. Plus, the game mechanics are much more advanced, than the dumbed down mechanics Blizzard chose when making WoW.

Matter of fact, that is where the exact phrase "Carebear" came from... When during World of Warcraft's beta, the developers were getting berated for how easy the game was. Blizzard finally announced that World of Warcraft demographic wasn't curren't MMO players, but new ones targeted through their existing IP. But not before a beta tester coinded the term "carebear" and had it stick.

Thus, Blizzard admittingly needed a much more simplier game. Which come to huant blizzard later in the game's life-cycle... because all the programing hooks into AI and character depth isn't there. The game mechanics between Everquest and WoW are the difference between novice & expert. EQ's gameplay is way much more spohisticed and dynamic than World of Warcraft's dumbed down mechanics. Mind you "dumbed -down" was the actual words quoted and responded by a Blizzard developer.

There is no refuting this. And again, can easily be demonstrated by taking a WoW guild into Everquest and letting them get a feel for game play (like in 2007 when an EQ guild invited a WoW guild, into EQ) , in a basic EQ dungeon like RunnyEye, or Befallen, or even Chardok. Many WoW players don't understand mob's social interactions, or even that some mobs smell, or hear, etc.. 

Let alone AA's,  or even the (what is it..?) 700 skills in the game? Which almost everyone forgets about.. that is completely non-existant in WoW.

So please, do yourself a favor and stop the hate. Everquest is every bit of World of Warcraft's senior. The saying was."Newbies start in WoW, but graduate to EQ" .

With no disrespect, it is true. Over time, and time and time, again.. most naysayers that are brought into Everquest with their guilds, soon find that in EQ you can head in any direction and just go..  it is not themepark, there is no funneled content in Everquest. Some die hard WoW players litterly freeze..  because the sense of what to do today has changed drastically from an hour ago.

It happens every time!

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

Originally posted by Phelcher

Do you realize how ignorant that makes you sound? It is more the evident you nevered truely played the game. EverQuest is vastly different to WoW in almost every way. Character selection, mode of travel, player skills, etc. Plus, the game mechanics are much more advanced, than the dumbed down mechanics Blizzard chose when making WoW.

Matter of fact, that is where the exact phrase "Carebear" came from... When during World of Warcraft's beta, the developers were getting berated for how easy the game was. Blizzard finally announced that World of Warcraft demographic wasn't curren't MMO players, but new ones targeted through their existing IP. But not before a beta tester coinded the term "carebear" and had it stick.

Thus, Blizzard admittingly needed a much more simplier game. Which come to huant blizzard later in the game's life-cycle... because all the programing hooks into AI and character depth isn't there. The game mechanics between Everquest and WoW are the difference between novice & expert. EQ's gameplay is way much more spohisticed and dynamic than World of Warcraft's dumbed down mechanics. Mind you "dumbed -down" was the actual words quoted and responded by a Blizzard developer.

There is no refuting this. And again, can easily be demonstrated by taking a WoW guild into Everquest and letting them get a feel for game play (like in 2007 when an EQ guild invited a WoW guild, into EQ) , in a basic EQ dungeon like RunnyEye, or Befallen, or even Chardok. Many WoW players don't understand mob's social interactions, or even that some mobs smell, or hear, etc.. 

Let alone AA's,  or even the (what is it..?) 700 skills in the game? Which almost everyone forgets about.. that is completely non-existant in WoW.

So please, do yourself a favor and stop the hate. Everquest is every bit of World of Warcraft's senior. The saying was."Newbies start in WoW, but graduate to EQ" .

With no disrespect, it is true. Over time, and time and time, again.. most naysayers that are brought into Everquest with their guilds, soon find that in EQ you can head in any direction and just go..  it is not themepark, there is no funneled content in Everquest. Some die hard WoW players litterly freeze..  because the sense of what to do today has changed drastically from an hour ago.

It happens every time!

WoW, you think that EQ is a brutally punitive game with complicated skill system and game mechanics you should check out some of the full loot free for all MMO's out on the market.  Makes EQ1 look like WoW....

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Wow, the subject article says EQ extended is browser based.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727

I you want EQ3 try Vanguard :)

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Originally posted by adderVXI

I you want EQ3 try Vanguard :)

This.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• NoneSoVile5NoneSoVile5 Member Posts: 3

not too excited about this title at all, EQ1 was not good nor was EQ 2, do the math, EQ3 will be bad too.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Originally posted by NoneSoVile5

not too excited about this title at all, EQ1 was not good nor was EQ 2, do the math, EQ3 will be bad too.

It's a matter of opinion not facts.

I enjoyed  EQ and EQ2 alot had great fun in those games.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• liquescentliquescent Member UncommonPosts: 145

Originally posted by JeroKane

I agree 100%

• Minotaur92Minotaur92 Member Posts: 5

Reading some of these responses, you get a feel for where the MMO world is at nowadays ..

EQ was legendary and that's why it has been around for so damn long ... if you don't like it, fine -- but --don't spew your opinion as if it's fact and anyone that likes EQ is dumb or ignorant ... the depth of that game was amazing, considering how long ago it came out ... I'm not going to be one of those pessimists here and just assume it'll be a cash cow game and will wait to read more on it ... I love the EQ lore and world and hopefully they stick to their word and make it a success.

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177

Hopefully it is more like EQ1 and less like EQ2 with more love than Vanguard had.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by liquescent

Originally posted by JeroKane

I agree 100%

X2

$OE is starting to show their true colors with EQ2X and just how greedy they are. Their *cough* "FREE" to play model is an outright joke and you can expect that ridiculous model to expand into EQ3.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• vincentivincenti Member Posts: 5

Haven't tried any EQ but isnt this a browser based game? lol, not really sure, but im currently looking for a new mmo, if this game is good, Id like to try it.

• FeverfewFeverfew Member Posts: 120

Everquest Online Adventures: Frontiers= best game I've ever played :o

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

First off that was from AUGUST 2010 -- almost a year ago.  The site didnt seem to do anything bad to me which is a good thing but when I saw that I got suspicious.

As for Everquest Next -- I sincerely hope they get the vision back and make it a program that is closer to a modern EQ1 as opposed to the way things currently are in games.

Sony has been beaten up quite a bit over the last few years.  This is actually good for a company when it comes to producing a good product.   It is when things are going well that a company tries for the blah.

When it becomes do or die, sink or swim -- a company is more likely to take a few risks and extend the envelope.

I also truly doubt it will be microtransaction oriented.  That is what you do when an MMO is failing -- not what you do at release.

• VaygusVaygus Member Posts: 131

Internet cutting out = double posts.

• VaygusVaygus Member Posts: 131

Originally posted by Phelcher

It happens every time!

LOL. I was called a Carebear my first day in Asheron's Call in '99 when I rolled on Frostfell (PVE) and kept getting trolled by Darktide (FFAPVP) players. Hell, the reason I got MMOs on my radar were all my UO friends, and they constantly were throwing "LOL CAREBEAR" at me when I explained I didn't want all my items looted ;]

For some reason, after THAT statement, your whole post lost any credibility to me. There is absolutely no way you can appreciate Everquest without playing it during the classic days, and there is absolutely no way you were a classic/old-time MMO gamer if you think the term was coined during the Warcraft beta.

• luluxiululuxiu Member Posts: 3
    Big fan of the original EQ and look forward to a challenging game. I have been looking for something, because Velious years. If it's crap, then I will continue to look:) not who makes their history, or distress.....
  • Baid321Baid321 Member UncommonPosts: 4

I am extremely curious about EQ Next. I'm hopeing that during this years fan faire, they release tons of details about the game and where in development it is. TBH though, SOE dosent need a new Everquest. It just needs to face lift the original EQ with completely new revamped graphics with addition of some simple mechanics added to the game along with dissolving the expansions so that new players dont feel overwhelmed by 17 expansions and the game would sell again.

I was very surprised when they made EQ2. I thought it was the worst idea SOE could of made. You had a older game that was still very much beloved, created a state of the art graphics system that could of been used as a upgrade to the original game - could of released that with a very nice expansion and EQ would still of been competeing with WoW today IMHO.

When EQ2 came out I felt conflicted, here was a upgraded version of EQ and I didnt want to leave EQ because I did not want to lose 4 years of playing a toon up. They really cut their own throats by developing EQ2.

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

Originally posted by Baid321

I am extremely curious about EQ Next. I'm hopeing that during this years fan faire, they release tons of details about the game and where in development it is. TBH though, SOE dosent need a new Everquest. It just needs to face lift the original EQ with completely new revamped graphics with addition of some simple mechanics added to the game along with dissolving the expansions so that new players dont feel overwhelmed by 17 expansions and the game would sell again.

I was very surprised when they made EQ2. I thought it was the worst idea SOE could of made. You had a older game that was still very much beloved, created a state of the art graphics system that could of been used as a upgrade to the original game - could of released that with a very nice expansion and EQ would still of been competeing with WoW today IMHO.

When EQ2 came out I felt conflicted, here was a upgraded version of EQ and I didnt want to leave EQ because I did not want to lose 4 years of playing a toon up. They really cut their own throats by developing EQ2.

Actually I liked everquest 2 as released when it came out.  There were a few DIFFERENT tweaks and some firming up they SHOULD  have done  BEOFRE release but I think their biggest mistake was trying to emulate WoW when WoW took off and they were stuck at the starting gate.  EQ2 was a game that I could play that wasnt so "uberguild" as everquest 1 was.  I could start playing and not have to keep up a 95% raid attendence etc. 

When it was released you dropped those shards on death -- so there was actually a death penalty. 

+++ monsters abounded but were EASIER than the +++ monsters that they put in later.  In essence you were expected to be able to SOLO green +++ monsters and some classes could handle borderline blue ones with difficulty which put it very similar to everquest in that regard.

When they made a pure split making the +++ undoable by most people even when green and put millions and billions of + and flat and - mobs all over the place -- it ceased to be an everquest and became a "grittier wow."

I liked the way the starting city for the evil races was so very stark and barren and hostile.  If anything it made the players on that side hardier and more cooperative with each other in the view of the oppression everywhere around them -- unlike the good realms where everyone was around the corner to ask you to help save their kitten.  That bred all kinds of node stealing etc.  At least at the beginning the players on the evil side were more "good" than the players on the good side.

-----

As for eq next I hope they keep their mouth shut and have a strong NDA with anyone who beta tests. 

• meleemadnessmeleemadness Member Posts: 592

Fan Faire starts in 10 days....hopefully there will be some news.  I like a lot of the required interaction in crafting the original EQ2 had before it was dumbed down.....I liked how you had to get keyed to gain entrance to the low lvl dungeons and raids.  I wish they would bring that all back.

I am now looking forward to the new EQ2 mounts that leap and glide!  I am expecting all the good things from EQ and EQ2 will be incorporated into EQ Next.  There is nothing from WoW that would enhance the game at all.......in fact it would ruin the game as all the candy@sses would comeover and ruin the community.