Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A 65 page thread response ???

qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

A corporate response to a dreadnought? That's how I see it anyway. I know it's not going to make many jump for joy, but I do think it shows that CCP listens and does try to address issues, and I think that's a good sign. 

Efforts to fix lag
blogs

Comments

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    CCP has always listened. A lot of these guys think if "their eve" isn't worked on asap CCP must be abandoning them. Seriously we all know CCP work slowly... It's only starting to bother these guys now because it's their beloved null sec that's messed up.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

Originally posted by Rockgod99

CCP has always listened.

That's an important thing to clarify, as there are a lot of folks who think they can just "post it on the forums" and it will get the same exposure as if CSM brings an issue up on their agenda. Soooo not the case.

[half-full]You can post away on the forums, but I guaren-fucking-tee you that the chances of "some dev" (specifically one in game design) reading it is pretty low (except for Greyscale, who is as big a forum whore as me). Even if a dev reads it, the chances of that dev becoming motivated to DO something about it RIGHT NOW is practically considering he / she probably already has something else on their plate. And even if that dev IS motivated to do something about it, the chances of him getting approval to get it done in any reasonable time span from his bosses is sometimes laughable.

Oh, and even when that dev manages to get something done, the chances of some other dev coming along and hijacking things to the point of nonsense is still fairly probable.[/half-full]

That being said, yes, they DO read the forums, it's just rare that an idea from there is able to rise up and become reality.

This is where the CSM can, and has been, invaluable in elevating certain issues to a point where they cannot be ignored. Some may think that these people are just in it for the 'free trip to Iceland', but when they actually get there and see how seriously CCP takes them, it does kick things to another level. For example, it took THREE YEARS of constant lobbying to get the AoE DD removed from the game, and I can honestly stand here and say that if it hadn't been for the CSM's high level of bitching about it as well, we might STILL be dealing with paper tiger supercaps and fuck knows what else.

The CSM, believe it or not, cuts through a LOT of the bullshit at CCP, primarily because upper management wants to believe they are getting a return on their financial and PR investment. I was there when I watched the initial concept be proposed and saw how the CSM delegates affected the game first hand. There simply is nothing like devs being FORCED to sit in a room and see a big Serb fellow like Vuk Lau literally pounding on the table about sov warfare (was funny as hell), or Diedra Val from EVE Uni giving a passionate argument about new player incentives, or John Zastrow from Goons wailing like a girl about fueling towers, etc...

I've got a lot of confidence that CCP wants this to work, but as Virt has wall-of-texted elsewhere, it's largely up to the CSM themselves to make the most of the oppertunity given to them. These people can make a difference so, as others have said, it's pretty important who does and does not get a seat on the internet spaceship council

from ex-CCP Abathur  http://www.scrapheap-challenge.com/viewtopic.php?p=1207323#1207323

BestSigEver :P

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

I couldn't help but notice how many times the CSM is mentioned in the listed articles. I think they are much more important than many realize. It's frightning to think were things would be now if players didn't have that voice. Great letter BTW :  )

• MiffyMiffy Member Posts: 244

I think the players expect too much, if it was easy to fix the lag then they would have done it a long time ago. EVE isn't designed like any other MMO and when you can have fleet battles of 1000 people, then you have to expect lag, no other game does that. The lag used to be worse, like in 2003 when you had to wait a couple seconds later for the UI to respond.