Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Four Immediate Thoughts on Cryptic’s Neverwinter

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In this week's The List column, Bill Murphy offers four immediate thoughts about yesterday's announcement that Cryptic Studios is developing Neverwinter, an online cooperative RPG. Bill runs the gamut of emotion in his list. See if you agree and then add some of your own thoughts!

It had long been rumored as a possibility, but yesterday it became a known fact. Cryptic is making a Dungeons & Dragons game based on the Neverwinter intellectual property. And so, the internet this morning is afire with plenty of jibber-jabber about the plusses and minuses stacking up against the Star Trek Online developer already. In the grand internet tradition of jumping on the bandwagon, I’ve got my own thoughts on this news, and I’ve decided to use this week’s list to give you my first five thoughts surrounding the Neverwinter announcement in numerical order. Consider this a somewhat humorous, but honest reaction to this week’s new information, and try not to take it too seriously. Cryptic, despite some missteps is still a developer I believe has the talent to make a compelling game. Maybe their new OMG (Jack Emmert’s term, not mine) will prove that much to us all.

Read more of The List.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• FeydawayFeydaway Member Posts: 122

It very much sounds like what DDO could/should have been and definitely what Wizards wanted to create for D&D 4.0 with an online presence.

If there's no subscription, this could be a real winner.  Even if there is a store.

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520
    I personally feel like I've been burned by Cryptic twice with CO and STO. I have no faith in them, and highly doubt they can make a decent let alone good Neverwinter game.
  • nAAtimusnAAtimus Member Posts: 342

The acronym "OMG" seems redundant to me.  Every online game I've played is multiplayer.

I'm not here to complete my forum PVP dailies.

• RunstalRunstal Member Posts: 35

I am not sure how to fell about this game. I am an avid NWN and NWN2 fan and the best thing about those games was the player created content that you get for free. I read an interview on Massively and to hear Cryptic talking about subscription fees for this game really worries me. It sounds like players will be creating content but the other players will have to play to access that content. If that is the case I will be sticking with NWN 1 and 2 as I still enjoy both games.

• LiltawenLiltawen Member UncommonPosts: 245

Maybe this is why he was talking about 'hybid' payment models, like what Turbine is doing, about a month ago.And that they're thinking about adding a content creator to STO.

• d_dlhd_dlh Member UncommonPosts: 3

Giving a tought about Neverwinter and D&D 4th edition. In the new FR Campaign Setting its wrote "Port cities north of Waterdeep didn’t fare well in the years after the Spellplague;

both Neverwinter and Luskan are now in utter ruin". How can they even consider make a game there. Not to metion the already said developer ....

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by nAAtimus

The acronym "OMG" seems redundant to me.  Every online game I've played is multiplayer.

That's their desperate attempt to avoid getting their ass sued by Turbine, which has the exclusive mmo rights to D&D until 2014. Right now, Hasbro ( Wizards of the Coast ) is suing Infrogrames(Atari) and Turbine is suing Infogrames ( what those who don't know better call "Atari").

Cryptic CAN'T legally call anything D&D an "mmo". What's funny is they're so transparent about it ( even using the SAME shitty CO/STO engine and mechanics ), that they will most likely end up part of the lawsuits anyway.

The only thing Cryptic can do is basically make NWN 3. Except if you think for a minute that Cryptic is going to let you build your own persistant player worlds on your own server, you might as well stop daydreaming now. That's where the "online" comes in, because you'll have to be hooked to their servers to play multiplayer, you know: like an mmo.

But since Cryptic is very adamant NW is NOT being an mmo, I expect we will NOT see this crap added to this site? Correct?

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

That's their desperate attempt to avoid getting their ass sued by Turbine, which has the exclusive mmo rights to D&D until 2014. Right now, Hasbro ( Wizards of the Coast ) is suing Turbine and Turbine is suing Infogrames ( what those who don't know better call "Atari").

Cryptic CAN'T legally call anything D&D an "mmo". What's funny is they're so transparent about it ( even using the SAME shitty CO/STO engine and mechanics ), that they will most likely end up part of the lawsuits anyway.

Wrong, Hasbro is suing Atari not Turbine.

Turbines lawsuit against Atari was settled which probably meant Atari cant make another D&D MMO so instead they changed it into an OMG..

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• NakedFuryNakedFury Member UncommonPosts: 411

My Four Immediate Thoughts on Cryptic’s Neverwinter:

1. YES! Another NWN game this made my day.

2. Noticed it is being made by Cryptic- Dammit!

3. Doesn't say if it will have something like the other games editor- Damn you Cryptic!

4. I want this to succeed but Im afraid Cryptic might blow it.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by Papadam

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

That's their desperate attempt to avoid getting their ass sued by Turbine, which has the exclusive mmo rights to D&D until 2014. Right now, Hasbro ( Wizards of the Coast ) is suing Turbine and Turbine is suing Infogrames ( what those who don't know better call "Atari").

Wrong, Hasbro is suing Atari not Turbine.

Turbines lawsuit against Atari was settled which probably meant Atari cant make another D&D MMO so instead they changed it into an OMG..

Sorry, was a typo on my part. Thanks for pointing it out. Edited my post.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

BTW, Cryptic is owned by Atari.

Also, they are fine not calling it an MMO, it sounds like it will work just like Guild Wars and that isn't an MMO either, at least ArenaNet/NCSoft say it isn't an MMO :)

• farginwarfarginwar Member Posts: 134

"Maybe Cryptic’s flagship foray into non-MMO gaming… oh wait, Flagship. That’s probably not the best word to use."

LOL! Thanks for that Mr Murphy. That is the only thing about Cryptic's announcement that has gotten a laugh out of me.

I would happily discard my forebodings of gloom and doom if only I didn't have such fond feelings about the Intellectual Property in question.

It would be less difficult if the IP wasn't in the hands a company that has already proven its disdain and contempt for both the IPs they license and the customers they sell their products to.

I know that hating on MMOs and MMO makers, seemingly just for hating sake, is rampant these days. I know that both you article writiers and the forum mods must get sick of wading through the cesspit of insult after insult towards Cryptic, so sorry to add one more.

In this case though I truly feel that Cryptic has gone out of their way to earn every negative feeling anyone could have for them, so the hatred is completely justified and rightfully deserved.

So on that note, I'll give Cryptic the benefit of the doubt on the day they've earned it.

Until that day I'll continue to treat Cryptic with the same lack of warmth and disgust as I would a cockroach creepy crawling towards my lunch tray.

If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, riddle 'em with bullets

• penandpaperpenandpaper Member UncommonPosts: 174

Can't wait.  New 4e ruleset is great, and IMO will translate wonderfully to an MMO (my bad, OMG).

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,814

Instead of free player-made content, you will get the auto-generated "content" of the STO engine, and you will pay for it. More than once.

I have zero confidence in Cryptic.

Look for another half-done, shallow, IP-less, game, with a sub and a cash shop.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• when I saw it's Cryptic who develope the game, I said to myself : holly crap! Neverwinter will like Star Trek Online....die quickly.....

• dogdersROCdogdersROC Member UncommonPosts: 21

I admit to worrying about Obsidian doing NWN2, but having Cryptic involved is much worse. I have no confidence in this company after the pile of steamy goodness that was STO.

• NesrieNesrie Member Posts: 648

Originally posted by olepi

Instead of free player-made content, you will get the auto-generated "content" of the STO engine, and you will pay for it. More than once.

I have zero confidence in Cryptic.

Look for another half-done, shallow, IP-less, game, with a sub and a cash shop.

My feelings are similar. I have zero confidence in Cryptic as they have done nothing, not a darn thing, to earn my trust over the years. They keep doing the same thing over and over again. Release a shallow half-finished game, defend it to death, throw out pay services while their players try to find something to do all while shifting the bulk of their employees to their new ultra secret cash cow only to come out and claim, when the game is announced, don't worry we've learned. Rinse and repeat. They've yet to even support the games they have now properly.

parrotpholk-Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

It's possible that if they don't bill it as an mmo it really won't have to live up to expectations.

I mean, I've tried both CO and Star Trek and quite frankly, both were fun. I had no reall issues with either of them. I do understand why some people don't like cryptic but "as games" they were enjoyable and I could see myself playing them from time to time.

I'll definitely try the Neverwinter game but will of course think of it as "a game".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179

Never played Assassin's Creed 2 huh?

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Why Lord! Why of all developers do you have to pick Cryptic for this ? If there are gaming gods out there then they need to be on full alert and monitor Cryptic's progress on a daily basis. I don't know how they can succeed with this ip. Bioware did an awesome job with NWN and despite it being over 10 years old people will still compare yesterday's NWN to Cryptic's version. I'm just crossing my fingers and waiting to see like the rest of us how it turns out. I wish them luck!

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Why Lord! Why of all developers do you have to pick Cryptic for this ? If there are gaming gods out there then they need to be on full alert and monitor Cryptic's progress on a daily basis. I don't know how they can succeed with this ip. Bioware did an awesome job with NWN and despite it being over 10 years old people will still compare yesterday's NWN to Cryptic's version. I'm just crossing my fingers and waiting to see like the rest of us how it turns out. I wish them luck!

Atari control the DnD license for video games, Atari owns Cryptic, put two and two together :)

• GrymGrym Member UncommonPosts: 301

Actually, I would hope this business model would resemble the old pen & paper modules. Game would need to be purchased which included a lengthy module in itself. Then, DLC made available for reasonable cost and occasional big modules released on disc for a little more cash perhaps. This would re-invigorate the week-end dungeon crawl excursions we enjoyed playing the pen-n-paper version back in the day. I'd buy it.

(My son speaking to his Japanese Grandmother) " Sorry Obaba, I don't speak Japanese, I only speak human."

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

No matter how I try to put a positive spin on this I simply cannot do it.

CO was a subpar mmo.  It isn't terrible by any means but outside of its character creator it just felt rushed, lacking in content, and the gameplay itself felt uninspired.

However, STO seemed like a complete mess.  The spaceship portion was okay.  Rather simplistic in design but I will admit it was kind of entertaining for a while.  The ground exploration/combat portion of the game was downright awful.  The gameplay involved in the ground portion of that game was so generic and simplistic that I suppose the one positive note about it is that most times you were able to complete your objectives in a short amount of time and be done with it.  They would have been much better off with that game if they would have either concentrated on one aspect or the other. 

Still, there is always the chance they could have learned from those two games and could create a noteworthy title out of NWN.  It's just hard to keep a straight face saying that opinion when you consider how disappointing CO and STO are.

I hope they do but frankly I don't have any faith in them. 

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• WindstryderWindstryder Member UncommonPosts: 34

You should check your facts before you speak trash like that. The whole reason Hasbro is suing Atari is because they DO NOT have any rights to D&D anymore. They are allowed to do nothing but offer support, which is the only reason Cryptic can do it, Atari will be in a support only function. Nor does Atari own Cryptic yet at least. Not that much would change if they did, both companies suck it hard anymore.

This discussion has been closed.