Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

XP gets penalized....

Comments

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

Lmao, god forbid you go do something that's not play XIV all day.

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270

Originally posted by Magnum2103

You've got the wrong definition of a power leveler.  Never heard anyone define the term like that.  Typically hardcore refers to someone's playtime (especially when you use terms like casual to compare it too) when talking about a gamer specifically.  Power leveler is the playstyle of the person.  Sometimes it's refered to as achiever.  It's someone who levels as fast as possible.  There really isn't much else to it.  I consider myself a power leveler, but I've never botted or paid someone (or even LET someone) level my accounts before.

Yes, I know how these factory like farms (which typically operate in Asian countries) are setup.  I also know quite a bit about programming and how bots operate.  Bots nowadays are programmed with some pretty advanced AI, able to replicate and use things like A* pathfinding and logic.  You can setup them up to simply repeat patterns, or to differentate slightly when things come up.  A lot of times data is collected via pixel searches and such.  These people who are in charge of operating 5-10 computers are only around for two things:  1.  To make sure the bot AI doesn't go out of loop and cause a problem, such as being stuck on a wall (something you'll often see happen to a bot).  2.  To respond to GM tells inquiring about their botting.  So again, it's not really a hinderance, especially considering how easy it is to switch classes within the game (2 macros).  They probably have bot AI setup for all classes anyway and if they don't they can give a bot a bit of "pattern memory" (not sure how best to describe this) to begin working by itself with that class.

Also, I'm sorry if I'm not explaining this well.  You don't seem to understand what I mean.  I do admittly have trouble explaining my points well sometimes.  The bots will be on the same level of progression as other "power levelers" (or hardcore gamers if you prefer that term) because they are running on 24/7.  Thus, it won't be a matter of them having to catch up to whatever the endgame is, because they are already at the endgame where the best drops technically exist.  Even if they did spring ahead or get left behind, there won't be enough higher level players to support an increase in drops and drop value (since there won't be a need for high level crafting mats and gear), and they are probably off sticking at the average player level of farming anyway.  It's a bit of economics, which I think most of the gold farming companies understand.  When they do finally reach the max level, they'll do so before the majority of the average player base anyway, and they'll be happily farming away at that point on max level, once it starts becoming the most profitable portion of the game.

Sure, I see what your saying, and yeah lets agree that this system wont fix all things for everyone. But what it will do is fix some of them for some of us.

Personally I dont see this effecting me at all. I plan on playing mostly as a crafter first, adventurer second, and combatant only when needed. And the surplus system only kicks in if you in one 'class' for an extended period of time. So here is my normal day to day so you can see my point. I head to do a couple quests and get a couple drops for my crafting, whatever one, doesn't matter - I'll work on whichever craft I get mats for right. While I'm out hunting I see a node or two I can collect from, so I switch from my pugalist to miner, back to puegalist, to fishing for a bit (ran into some water that looked good), back to puegalist for a bit, seen ahnother node and switched to my miner again, back to puegalist, and oh look a tree I better chop that baby down too, oh and now I see someone about to die so I switch to my healer and pop a couple off to help them out....

So really, if I'm actually 'playing' the game in the world, I'm not sticking with only ONE class long enough to even hit surplus, let alone make an issue of it. Now sure, if I was combatant first, adventurer second, and dont care at all for crafting, then I might...well no I wouldnt', because even if I wasn't going to craft I'ld still want to spend some time gathering to make some cash to support my habits. Even if I loved to team all the time, I doubt I'ld be teaming for 8 hours straight and not swap around at least once or twice to accommodatee the needs of the team.

The entire concept that is being argued on this, that there are so many out there that will stick to ONLY one setup long enough to hit massive surplus, is in my opinion an exaggeration at best. The only way this should become a major issue is if people forget to interact with the world around them entirely and focus on grinding xp alone. And that is the entire point isnt it, to avoid making the game into an xp grind for the sake of grinding alone.

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

• LastChimeLastChime Member Posts: 107

There may also be a future use planned for surplus xp/rank, who knows? It's beta until we at least see an RC (which I doubt we will prior to release), there's no real point gettin all up in a tizzy over any system and how it may/may not restrict consumer choice.

• VryheidVryheid Member UncommonPosts: 469

Not sure why people are getting upset about this. So what, you lose 10% or so on your EXP rewards. If you've been continuously moving up through monster classes, the boosts in total EXP will make up for whatever you've lost and then some. You're still going to be leveling up much faster than "casual" players. What this does mean is that you can't just sit in one spot and grind the same monsters for days on end. I think the FF XIV environment will be healthier as a whole because of this.

If anything, the weaving/blacksmith EXP system is a far bigger problem in this game. I only manage to get crafting experience about a third of the time I actually succeed in making items, even when I use them in guildleves. There is nothing more frustrating than hunting down some NPC, spending 15 minutes crafting all of the necessary materials, and seeing the game randomly decide I should get absolutely no experience for it. Compare this to collectors/fighters, who get crafting experience every single time they use their skills. It makes the process of leveling up welding skills infuriatingly repetitive and gives battle oriented players a huge advantage when it comes to leveling up.

• tu_uilwentu_uilwen Member Posts: 794

Here is what I think is funny, one or 2 people that play a beta say, man wht a horrible sytem, and it has the power to to turn hundreds of thousands of people to say the same thing. Why because they have played and you have not?

Why not wait for the game to come out so that you can try it for your self. It could be an interesting system that they have going. On top of that what do most of you do when you play a class for to long? You make a new character, so its pretty cool that you can change your class when ever you want.

Also, one of the things that I think it is funny is......Do all of you people that say that its so bad, actually know that the XP system is not the only system in the game to worry about? WHat about graphics, gameplay, story? I mean what if the XP system was the best thing since sliced bread? but the game play was horrible?? I bet no one would even talk about it, then just talk bad about the game play.

look at more aspects of the things to come before talking about a game and it being bad.

---------------------------------------------
    WoW
    -Rhalon 85 B.E. rogue
    -Rhalon 81 UD Mage
    -Doneski 85 Orc death knight

"Everyones life has a beginning and an end, No one can change that."-Hiko
    "If you wish to taste the ground, then feel free to attack."-Kenshin Himura
    ---------------------------------------------

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

Originally posted by Magnum2103

You've got the wrong definition of a power leveler.  Never heard anyone define the term like that.  Typically hardcore refers to someone's playtime (especially when you use terms like casual to compare it too) when talking about a gamer specifically.  Power leveler is the playstyle of the person.  Sometimes it's refered to as achiever.  It's someone who levels as fast as possible.  There really isn't much else to it.  I consider myself a power leveler, but I've never botted or paid someone (or even LET someone) level my accounts before.

Actually, he has it right. May be an older term but right nevertheless. In EQ, PL-ing was using a high lvl toon to grind out xp for low lvl toons. Whole groups sometimes. 

You can also go check any gold-selling site. They have power-leveling as a service where they lvl your toon for you.

Just because you've never heard a definition for a certain word or term doesn't mean it isn't valid.  ;)

• scythe99scythe99 Member Posts: 326

From reading this I went from going to buy FF14, to avoiding it like the plague, I totally dispise systems that punish people for wanting to play, sure I can change jobs, but wiht my lifestyle I have 12-16 hours a day to play, so if I was to play each job for an hour, then what? I can't really do anything for 2-4 rl days? Not a smart way to go about it square. I do hope they change this, because this system is going to kill the game, or make it alot less successful than it could have been. If the game was free to play i'd not really complain but if they gonna charge me 13/month and then tell me I can only play for a few hours a day, they can shove this back up their ass from whence it came.

"An MMORPG could be completely diffirent from WoW. Just look at games like Dofus, Wizard101 or EVE. But as it is, most of the Western MMOs are trying to succeed by out-WoWing WoW. It's like an army of 10 sports games made about same sports, and barely none about other sports. WoW clone is an accurate description of those games, it manages to convey much information with only two words."
    -Poster on mmorpg.com

Rift: World of Warcraft clone #9321 Nothing special to see here move along.

• AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362

Originally posted by scythe99

From reading this I went from going to buy FF14, to avoiding it like the plague, I totally dispise systems that punish people for wanting to play, sure I can change jobs, but wiht my lifestyle I have 12-16 hours a day to play, so if I was to play each job for an hour, then what? I can't really do anything for 2-4 rl days? Not a smart way to go about it square. I do hope they change this, because this system is going to kill the game, or make it alot less successful than it could have been. If the game was free to play i'd not really complain but if they gonna charge me 13/month and then tell me I can only play for a few hours a day, they can shove this back up their ass from whence it came.

Guys - don't get form opinions from reading this thread. Honestly. There's a lot of misinformation and half formed guesses in it, and people (like the above poster) are coming to the wrong conclusions because of it.

It's suggest checking out the thread on the matter at http://www.ffxivcore.com/topic/11704-surplus-experience-just-a-discussion/

They've done some experimenting and compared notes over there, and come up with a few tentative conclusions as to how the system works. I'll explain my understanding of their conclusions, but you can probably get a better view by going to look at the thread first hand (rather than relying on second hand rumours like most people here).

My understanding...

The surplus XP system has nothing whatsoever to do with rested XP. So if you go away and leave your character for a week, then it will still be there. This is why the previous posters comments are incorrect.

Instead, it seems to be a system for ensuring some sort of match between your different types of level.

So if your physical level is way below your class level (e.g. because you've just picked a new class), then your physical level will get loads of fatigue and won't go up much.

There's also some sort of element to it that forces you to do at least some levelling with more than one class. So if you only play an Archer, and keep advancing it, then eventually you will get surplus on your Archer level, until you spend some time on another class.

From what I've heard, if you only play one class, surplus seems to only kick in when you reach roughly level 14. If you continue to play that class, then it can get quite serious by the time you reach level 19. So unless you're levelling really really fast, you're unlikely to go from no surplus to 90% surplus in one play session.

• VxarVxar Member Posts: 58

Did anyone stop to think that maybe, just MAYBE, this surplus thing isn't a form of punishment, and instead of SE's clever way of pacing the leveling experience based on your play style?

If you're a casual, you'll get to max level faster, but it'll take you a long time to do so due to how little you'll play as a casual.

If you're "hardcore" then you'll be playing more but at a slower pace, so you'll still take a long time to hit max level.

If you're looking for a game where you can just fly through to max level, go look elsewhere.  The whole point of this game is to give you a long lasting adventure, not grind to max level and grind on the first raid content until they release Icecrown Citadel, purely so you can have some over-sized shoulder items that look ridiculous.  If you want speedy content with instant gratification, go look elsewhere.  If you want a story that doesn't burn you out in a month, because instead of hitting max level, you still have goals to complete, then FFXIV is your game.

Until then, quit crying about the surplus thing, and look for a new topic to complain about.  It is a new week, after all.

Originally posted by Robokapp

but hardcores don't want to be paced at casual pace...why are they?

They aren't. You are misinformed. Reports from Beta indicate that the surplus system is related to relative levels of your classes. It has nothing to do with how many hours people play.

Regardless, complaining about surplus is basically complaining about numbers in a beta. Numbers are easy for developers to change, and could be very different in live. At this stage, it makes a lot more sense to judge the game by things like gameplay and graphics

• TotemthumperTotemthumper Member UncommonPosts: 23

Originally posted by Vxar

Did anyone stop to think that maybe, just MAYBE, this surplus thing isn't a form of punishment, and instead of SE's clever way of pacing the leveling experience based on your play style?

If you're a casual, you'll get to max level faster, but it'll take you a long time to do so due to how little you'll play as a casual.

If you're "hardcore" then you'll be playing more but at a slower pace, so you'll still take a long time to hit max level.

If you're looking for a game where you can just fly through to max level, go look elsewhere.  The whole point of this game is to give you a long lasting adventure, not grind to max level and grind on the first raid content until they release Icecrown Citadel, purely so you can have some over-sized shoulder items that look ridiculous.  If you want speedy content with instant gratification, go look elsewhere.  If you want a story that doesn't burn you out in a month, because instead of hitting max level, you still have goals to complete, then FFXIV is your game.

Until then, quit crying about the surplus thing, and look for a new topic to complain about.  It is a new week, after all.

This is not a issue of who can level faster this to me is more of an issue someone pays to play your game and your going to tell them how they can play when they can play how long they can play. In a maket place with little to no competition this might work in a market flooded with games good and bad I think the marketplace will decide the outcome.what bugs me the most and i am sure someone wrote about it in these pages somewhere you work all week and finally got a day off work and plan on hitting it hard for your 1 day off. your up @ 7am you log on and by _____ AM time your barly getting exp anymore ?So now your force to do content with little to no reward? only to have to redo it or move on to harder content lacking the level or skills to make it fun ?

• SonikFlashSonikFlash Member UncommonPosts: 561

SE should run for president the sheer genius of this move matches the current and last president

• RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 805

Tell us about the “fatigue” and “dormancy” systems please.

We wanted to introduce a system to reward players who don’t have a lot of time to play. Maybe it looks as though we are placing long playing users at a disadvantage, but the idea is really to let play for short periods be viable.

Won’t that cause some concern amongst players who play for longer?

We want these players to try different classes. If you change class the fatigue doesn’t affect you, so you could try non-combat classes as well. You actually have more play choices now as you can make more characters.

“Some concern” may be a colossal understatement if early reports of just how draconian the limits are turn out to be correct:

Fatigue goes up to about 50% in 2 hours, and it takes 2 days to go down! So, if you play 4 hours you have to stop playing completely for 2 days!

WHAT!?

Only 1 hour a day!

What’s really amazing is that you have to pay a monthly subscription for this…

They can’t get away with this on a subscription game. They’ll be sued!

So you get bonuses for staying logged out – the servers are going to be nice and quiet, aren’t they!

More on the “dormancy” system:

Recovery takes time.

2 hours of combat or 1 hour of craft will induce “dormancy.”

The dormancy is actually shared over different characters.

It will decrease gains to 0% in the end.

It seems to be proportional to the amount of XP you earn.

Both light and heavy player are going to weep...

(LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL)  Final Fantasy 14 is already a dead game, how pathetic.

I like to complain about games.
  • XavierxxXavierxx Member Posts: 251

This is what I found;

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/08/24/final-fantasy-xiv-players-only-allowed-1-hour-a-day/

I hate this system too. If it isn't removed, or atleast adjusted I'm not going to boycott the game or anything. I'll still play it and switch weapons once there is no more xp gain.

• fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868

Wow. I cant beleive this is real. If it is, I'm going to have to think really hard on canceling my pre orders of collectors and standard, after FFXI wouldnt reward you for hours of camping I figured they would make it much easier for hardcore players to advance, but not only can you not advance fast enough now, your going to get penalized for trying to xp for more then two hours a day?

Unbelievable this would be put into a game...

This is going to be a problem with me....

/em <Light in crystal has faded.>

Originally posted by Xavierxx

This is what I found;
    http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/08/24/final-fantasy-xiv-players-only-allowed-1-hour-a-day/
    I hate this system too. If it isn't removed, or atleast adjusted I'm not going to boycott the game or anything. I'll still play it and switch weapons once there is no more xp gain.

Have you actually tried the system? Because I haven't heard any similar claims from anyone who's actually played the beta.

Or are you basing your hatred entirely on second hand rumour, lies and fearmongering?

Calm down people. Let's not get too emotional until we have some solid facts in front of us.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Originally posted by Ridrith

Fatigue goes up to about 50% in 2 hours, and it takes 2 days to go down! So, if you play 4 hours you have to stop playing completely for 2 days!

WHAT!?

Only 1 hour a day!

So you get bonuses for staying logged out – the servers are going to be nice and quiet, aren’t they!

Recovery takes time.

Really? Up to 50% after 2 hrs and takes 2 days to go down? I've played for several hours straight grinding and running Guildleves and only ever got up to about 9 surplus xp for 150+ xp gained... Also that surplus was gone the next day and didn't come back for several hours....

I'm calling BS on this one....

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

People are still crying about this. Play it or deal with it, it s not a big deal at all.

• KcebEnyawKcebEnyaw Member Posts: 29

Yeah this whole thread is BS. I play the beta for hours at a time on a single class and have not seen any reduction in my XP or SP. i think people are just stupid and they continue to fight the same enemies long after they have become to weak to be worth while. When i first start I average 150-350 SP and 400-700 xp depending on the mob. 8 hours later I and much higher level and the new mobs give athe same level of xp.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Originally posted by Xzen

Originally posted by Ridrith

WHAT!?

Only 1 hour a day!

Recovery takes time.

Really? Up to 50% after 2 hrs and takes 2 days to go down? I've played for several hours straight grinding and running Guildleves and only ever got up to about 9 surplus xp for 150+ xp gained... Also that surplus was gone the next day and didn't come back for several hours....

I'm calling BS on this one....

Definitely, this is just another case of the bitchy whiners extremely overexaggerating a feature to make it look as worse as possible when its nothing at all as they are claiming it to be.  I too have personally ran around fighting mobs non-stop on one class for over 4hrs and was still gaining plenty of XP.

Another thing to consider is that this suplus system may be something we're building up, toward another feature not yet revealed.  SE are known well for having many very deep and involving systems in all their content features, just look at all the thing you can do in XI that build on each other.

• bingo69bingo69 Member UncommonPosts: 195

Guesss the only thing to do is wait for Open beta, if there's no open ebta for everyone I'm not gonna pre-order and buy the game simple as that. If this is in any way able to intterupt with the fun i could have playing X class ince i hate Y class then so be it, I won't bother playing lol.

Anyhow, from beta tester here, how dire is the situation on this mechanic? How long can you play a single class until this crap appear and how long it take to refresh.

• YinlorYinlor Member Posts: 55

Originally posted by Kaocan

Originally posted by Yinlor

Originally posted by Rypht

I for one think this is a glorious idea!  They had something sort of similar in SWG, but it could be semi-quickly remedied with a quick trip to the local cantina and some down time watching entertainers dance and play music.  It's about strengthening the bonds of a community by encouraging you not to spend all day whacking rodents and never talking to the players around you. 

I wouldn't worry about the beta people either.  Most are instant satisfaction types, and that's just not what Final Fantasy games have ever been about.

One other  comment, as a friend pointed out, in FFXI every time you logged into the game, there was a screen that implored players to not neglect their family and friends, and to take breaks and go outside.  This feature tells me they needed a bigger crowbar to drive the message home to some people.

Right, I ain't logged into these forums for a long time, but after reading this I just had to. To tell you this: You're a damn blithering idiot, even moreso than the rest of the idiots who find this a good idea.

First of all, I'm a beta tester, and I'm FAR from the instant gratification type, it's that reason which caused me to leave WoW and start playing FFXI.

Nobody except you gives a damn if it was in SWG, you can't fix surplus by going to cantina! You're forced to do something else! You're forced to either drop everything you're currently doing, or you're forced to get a mere fraction of the exp you should be getting.

I play MMOs for the community, I play them to party up and chat with other people, and if you weren't so dense with your head up SEs rear you'd realise this DESTROYS community! This RUINS partying! This rewards the guy who plays an MMO to play on his own for 30 minutes a week (exaggeration but it still stands), and penalises the people who have a bit more time to invest who may actually party up with others and enjoy the game's content past 30 minutes of grinding each week. The antisocial soloer who shouldn't even bother with an MMO has no problems at all, THEY are the instant gratification types, the ones that want everything in a small time frame, causing everything to be soloable and ridiculously easy to obtain, the people SE AREN'T punishing, are the ones who go aginst what you think is right, which is socialising and playing with others.

Now let's think of mr 8 hours on the weekend, he may not have much time during the week but on weekends, he'll play the game as much as he can because he ENJOYS it. He LOVES interacting with others, partying, conquering content with friends, I fall into this category, I play an MMO for the experience, and I can tell you there are a LOT more people who play a lot that play for the experience than those that play a little. So yeah, the weekend's begun, Bob logs on, plays his Marauder which is the class he enjoys most, after 2 hours he gets tired of soloing and fortunately manages to find a party.

Leader: Hey Bob, wanna join a party?

Bob: Yes please!

Leader: How long you been playing for?

Bob: 2 hours or so

Leader: Sorry, you're just gonna leave when you get surplus, bye

Bob was sad, but luckily, a few LS members partied with him, they went out and killed things for hours and hours, but suddenly, the healer hits the surplus wall

Healer: Sry guyz, gtg, 90% surplus

Bob: Ok, no problem

*Healer leaves*

Bob: Ok, anyone here got a healer leveled?

Tank: I do

Bob: So who's gonna tank for us?

All: I don't have a tank leveled

Bob: And I don't have a tank or a healer...

Tank: Ahh, don't worry, gtg anyway *leaves*

The party soon disbands, Bob had already hit 90% surplus during the party, now he was on his own, he had no choice but to switch class and carry on soloing

That's just one of maaaany problems surplus is going to create, and personally, I don't want to be part of that

Another stupid thing people have come up with is "you're gonna change class anyway, what's the problem?" and I'll tell you, why should I be told when to switch? If I want to play marauder for 6 hours unhindered, then decide ON MY OWN, WITHOUT THE GAME TELLING ME TO, that I want to level pugilist and gain some pugilist skills, that's what I want to do. I do not want to be forced to learn pugilist skills when I'm not in the mood to play pugilist, just because the game's decided I've played a single class too much. Where's the diversity gonna be if everyone's learning everything? The role players will get screwed over, if they didn't want their character to be anything but a lancer, tough, unless you're willing to slog through surplus or log out for ages, you're gonna have to be something else too.

Yes, I plan on leveling a lot of different classes, but I want to do that on my own terms, if I wanna level a single class for a day, I should be allowed to, same with any other class

And about that stupid message, every game has it, this system has nothing to do with that crap, they just want you to switch class, not switch the game off, and if people are so averse to their real life that they wanna ignore it, let them. I have responsibilities, work, family, friends, the rest of it, and I tend to all of them, because I'm responsible, and I decide when I've played enough, the game, nor SE, have the right to tell me

So let me see if I get this right, your saying that the ONLY reason anyone plays a game is to advance at the highest posible rate. And that if thier climb to the top is hindered in anyway, that they will all simple stop playing?

No chance people will play the game for the fun of playing the game? No chance the people on that team are enjoying what they are doing and stick around to finish thier objectives? No way a person (character) would ever do anything other than ONE thing, all day, every day.

Just making sure I read all that correct, because the way you put it, everyone will be watching thier surplus 100% of the time and immediately stop playing the very second they reach too high of a %. Be damned the fun, be damned the comradere, be damned the team, who cares about enjoyment, if my numbers stop being the optimal xp/minute than there is no point in playing at all. If I want it to be the way I want it to be than I should be able to get what I want when I want it!!!!

Lets all forget about the plus side to the surplus, the hinderance to power-leveling, the hinderance to BOTs and farmers. I'm all happy if we have more of those people in a game, then we can have Aion II or Lineage III. NOT!!! Or maybe we can have more number crunching power leveled, hit level cap in a week people standing around all day biatching about how there is 'no content' even though they blew past all the content so they could say they were the first. Yeah, love those people too...umm NO!!!

And yeah I'm ok with you calling me an idiot for supporting this, but the truth is I do. I dont see any downside, you do appearantly because you made up a rather large story of how everyone you know will just not play anymore because of this. Again, I'm not finding a problem there either, I hear there is this game out there called World of Warcraft, its supposed to support the type of player you used in your story. Yeah, i'm thinking I might not miss them either if they decide this is a deal breaker for them playing this game.

Like it or not, the majority of people playing MMOs want to gain pointless numbers, and gear with different coloured letters in the name, we may not be like those people, and we may hate those kinds of people (not saying you do) but they're still potential party members. I want this game to be as populated and full of life as possible, and the way this is going, is not only going to make situations like the one I mentioned happen, which, while in a perfect world people would still play despite gaining nothing statwise, just isn't the case. I'd keep going if I had surplus, as would you, but the majority of the MMO playing public are gonna feel hard done by and either leave, or moan, or change class, and any of these 3 factors could destroy your party in their own way.

I liked the idea that there were no levels and you'd gain skils etc through your weapon, the idea that SE originally started with. Because the game would focus on exploration and searching new weapons to gain more powerful skills, nagating any tedious grind and turning it into an engaging scenario which you could share with others. But then SE decided to add levels anyway, which is fine, though not ideal, and now they're adding THIS. I'm not the type to power level myself, I experience the game itself, hence why after a ridiculous amount of time on my FFXI character I'm only level 50 on my highest job, but that doesn't mean I like being hindered from progressing, I end up leveling as a result or doing other things, whether that's joining parties to socialise, or exploring the world, but with a system like this, unless I want my character to ge held back and unable to explore harder content, I have to constantly switch class, and wait, and wait, and wait some more. Why can't I be the one to decide when to switch class? If I'm one level away from being elegible to do a really fun sounding quest that some friends were going to do later, but due to surplus I wouldn't be able to gain the required exp to join them in time, and wasting my chance of enjoying that quest with good friends. I can seriously name so many ways this is gonna make the game worse. The one and ONLY good reason is it will remove instant gratification idiots from the game, but it woulda done that anyways, this is a Final Fantasy game, levels are probably the easiest thing to get, it's the rest of the content that will put people like that off when they realise they can't get the best gear in the game in 5 minutes. Besides that, this system helps NOBODY, it hinders everyone. The casuals are fine, but as I said, they only play to get something, that's why all this stupid casual stuff happens, because they decide to play an online game to play it on their own because they want fancy gear and levels.

It's people like me and you that want to experience the game in the way it should be, to take in the world, enjoy the company, and soak up every little detail you come across. But that's easier said than done when the world won't let you see more of it until your surplus wears, when the company leaves you because they can't be bothered to level when they've got a 90% reduction, and when every little detail ends up becoming meaningless when you realise SE are just forcing you to play the game their way, and not yours.

So no, I'm not saying EVERYONE's the type of person who focuses on stats and levels and nothing more

I am saying that even if only ONE person was like that, it could potentially be enough to ruin your entire night

And even outside a party situation, the cons FAR outweigh the pros

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Originally posted by bingo69

Guesss the only thing to do is wait for Open beta, if there's no open ebta for everyone I'm not gonna pre-order and buy the game simple as that. If this is in any way able to intterupt with the fun i could have playing X class ince i hate Y class then so be it, I won't bother playing lol.

Anyhow, from beta tester here, how dire is the situation on this mechanic? How long can you play a single class until this crap appear and how long it take to refresh.

As I said just a couple posts back. I have played 5+ hrs of grinding and Guildleves and got less than a 10% surplus penalty and it was gone the next day. Here's the kicker. If you play another mmorpg that has the "rested xp" mechanic and get 2x XP gain while rested for a couple hours before losing that rested status it's the same thing as getting a rediculous amount of XP for 5+ hours before gradually droping down to 50% surplus xp(which I havent even seen).

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by bingo69

I'd say the truth is somewhere in the middle on this one.

There has been some concern from beta testers about this mechanic, and a lot have left because of it. If you don't mind grinding, you can for a decent amount of time (maybe 4hours or so) and then it starts to wear out quit a lot. If you change classes a lot it does tend to help, and given the limited amount of leves in the game, you are generally forced to change classes a lot.

This is both good and bad. In general this game is one where you will not want to play just one class. The reason being is that you can mix skills from different classes to make a sort of hybrid. So for example I will mix some skills from thaumaturge (like gravity) with my nukes from conjurer. Or on melee you can mix TP skills between classes, which helps a lot. However, when you really want to play one class it can kind suck, especially as you get higher in lvl, it takes so long to get the exp you need that it's quit a turn off.

Now.. from beta, there's basically 2 concerns going on. One is that we don't know if the mechanic is implemented in beta the same way it's to be implemented in launch. Two, is that everyone is awaiting a 'massive content update' for open beta. The massive increase in content could very will fix a lot of the issues arising from some of these mechanics, but it's really hard to tell if / when these things  happen, whether or not they will make a big impact on the penalty or not.

Also, the penalty atm seems to affect crafting more steeply than it does battle classes. Not sure why, but you don't always gain exp from crafting, and sometimes it takes quite a number of crafts before you see any benefit from them.

• OmrieOmrie Member UncommonPosts: 116

The news of this system makes me sad face. :<

This discussion has been closed.