Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Neverwinter OMG from Cryptic first reveal

13»

Comments

• speedymitespeedymite Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by kilun

First, everyone knew that rumors of them working on a D&D title were abound.  Secondly, why is everyone upset?  Wizards already thrashed D&D more than Cryptic could even dream of with this generic new 4ED, which the game will be based on.  2E and 3.5E were amazing in my opinion, sure 2E was extremely broken for gameplay, but 3.5 was amazing, even 3.0.  I can't even drag myself into thinking 4.0 is a decent gaming platform as it is made for the Loot only crowd.

I suppose it could make a decent MMO, as really that is how it was designed and I assumed they were going release another MMO based off it.

Further reading lobby-based, then party based dungeon crawler, not MMO, regardless 4.0 ED was made for this, so it maybe decent.

4.0>>3/3.5,

3.5 is just bloated with so much useless crap, that 99% of the people playing will never take.

4th everything is actually useful, and the combat is actually fun, and complements the rping and adventure, instead of just weighing it down.

• echo117499echo117499 Member Posts: 52

Originally posted by PyrateLV

I really hate Cryptic

Lol epic.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

The toolset would have to supercede NWN toolsets in what can be done for me much intrested. I bet the toolset is going to really be limited for this release.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

Looking forward to a beta to see if this game will be any good. Hopefully it will be. Hope they release more info soon like screenshots, classes, etc.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Originally posted by jaxsundane

Originally posted by Khalathwyr

Well, they aren't marketing it as an MMO (needed to change my title forthat). They are calling it an OMG (Online Multiplayer Game). It looks like they are targetting sessions for a small group play (4-6 players). THey did say that the game could be solo'd though.

While I'd never play another Cryptic MMO I would have been halfway interested in this type of game (grab my normal D&D group and play it) but they are using 4th edition rules. Many of us knew that's what the 4th edition rules were designed for (to be made into a computer game based on interest in DDO's creation). I'm not a fan of 4th so I'll have to let this one pass.

I'm still in touch with some of my old pen and paper gaming buddies but even if they all cooperatively came to me and asked I would not touch this game, I can see it now Cryptic will use your close attachments to your friends as just another tool to suck more money out of us much like they did with folks attachment to the STO ip.

I can see it now Dragonlance saga on the C-Store for twenty five bucks and the entire party has to purchase obviously.  Naaaah I'm going to make them earn their money the same way other devs do by first making a good quality game with enough depth that my ten year old daughter wouldn't be able to pick up and play.

I meant I would after it had released and was proven to be a decent game for what they are attempting. There is no way on earth I buy a product from them at release (or MMOs period) that hasn't been available and had countless reviews written. I'll let others risk their free time in advance of me making such a purchase.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Originally posted by Sevenwind

Looking forward to a beta to see if this game will be any good. Hopefully it will be. Hope they release more info soon like screenshots, classes, etc.

They've already released the classes (if you had read the article I linked in the OP) and if you have a 4th ED PHB you'd know pretty much what they'll be like.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Originally posted by ReallyNow10

Straight from the article.  Basically, they are going to toss away a golden opportunity to seize the WOW throne and instead make some multiplayer (not massively multiplyer) coop game.

Seize the WoW throne?  These Keystone Cops couldn't even seize the market with Champions Online which when it comes to superhero mmos how much competition did they have?

There's no way with their business and design model used in their other mmos if they were to follow the same design that they would do very well in the fantasy genre market considering the amount of games out there.

As much as I hate to say it I think their gameplan with NWN is the wiser move considering their last two attempts at fullfledged mmos.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

neverwinter= good

cryptic= very very bad

good + very very bad= very bad

if the game gets good reviews..................(sorry fell of my chair laughing there) i might give the free trial a go. but honestly with cryptic involved this game isnt even worth looking at.

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

• Luthor_XLuthor_X Member Posts: 431

Originally posted by raistalin69

neverwinter= good

cryptic= very very bad

good + very very bad= very bad

if the game gets good reviews..................(sorry fell of my chair laughing there) i might give the free trial a go. but honestly with cryptic involved this game isnt even worth looking at.

I hate to say this about a favored ip, but ^^

• AsleepAsleep Member UncommonPosts: 96

Forge as just a basic idea seems cool.

• jvxmtgjvxmtg Member Posts: 371

It sounds to me they are building something similar to DDO. o.O!!!

I'd be more excited if Hasbro and WotC invest in an MMORPG Magic: the Gathering instead.

:/

Ready for GW2!!!
  • AsleepAsleep Member UncommonPosts: 96

Originally posted by jvxmtg

It sounds to me they are building something similar to DDO. o.O!!!

I'd be more excited if Hasbro and WotC invest in an MMORPG Magic: the Gathering instead.

:/

heh, something good a long those lines would be sweet. I play MTGO and have since it was rel.

They will do something I think eventually. Still not sure what tactics is.

• WinterizerWinterizer Member Posts: 65

It will be interesting to read all the drama that will come with this game. Personally I would never touch a Cryptic product again ever.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Originally posted by Khalathwyr

Well, they aren't marketing it as an MMO (needed to change my title forthat). They are calling it an OMG (Online Multiplayer Game). It looks like they are targetting sessions for a small group play (4-6 players). THey did say that the game could be solo'd though.

While I'd never play another Cryptic MMO I would have been halfway interested in this type of game (grab my normal D&D group and play it) but they are using 4th edition rules. Many of us knew that's what the 4th edition rules were designed for (to be made into a computer game based on interest in DDO's creation). I'm not a fan of 4th so I'll have to let this one pass.

damn. But at minimum for a CORPG I would like at least maximum party PvE fights of 10--20 Players, even if the world is instanced like GW is. Also PvP instances of 40vs40 would be nice

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

Another fantastic IP sold to a company who will surely ruin it.  What's next? Cryptic's production of Hamlet?

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

Mmm that's generally what happens when a big studio buys an IP, they make a mass market game to appeal to the most people possible, leading to a watered down game eh.

Well if this isn't an "mmo", maybe they won't try doing that, we'll see.

But support indie dev teams!

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

sounds like an extremely bland dumbed down version of DnD, and won't even be a full fledged mmo.  This is very dissapointing.  When are we going to see a real DnD mmo?  Open persistant non-instanced sandbox with accurate d20 implementation, and possibly even grid based movement during battle.  Probably never cause life sucks.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

The toolset would have to supercede NWN toolsets in what can be done for me much intrested. I bet the toolset is going to really be limited for this release.

What toolset? You will only be able to access the game by playing on their servers. They're not going to give you any tools. They're not going to let you design your own "modules" and have your own servers.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

I'm still hoping Turbine will sue Cryptic soon. Their BS like "its not a MMO" doesn't help because it will use the same engine so please sue them.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

ca somebdy explain to me why the developers are getting so much hate for doing this project? Didnt they say it wouldnt be a MMO. So whats the problem?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• PyscoJuggaloPyscoJuggalo Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

Originally posted by Skuz

Cryptic:

"Killing the MMO one, shoddy, badly-programmed, copy of the original City of Heroes structure crammed into ever smaller instances, game at a time!"

R.I.P. Neverwinter Nights

QFE

I have never played a cryptic game, but these guys are really making me sick!  They are SOE bad!

And Wizards of the Coast can go to hell as well!  Another instanced to hell piece of crap D&D  MMORPG?  COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--When you resubscribe to SWG, an 18 yearold Stripper finds Jesus, gives up stripping, and moves with a rolex reverend to Hawaii.
    --In MMORPG's l007 is the opiate of the masses.
    --The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence!
    --CCP could cut off an Eve player's fun bits, and that player would say that it was good CCP did that.

• EnkmarEnkmar Member Posts: 46

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

What toolset? You will only be able to access the game by playing on their servers. They're not going to give you any tools. They're not going to let you design your own "modules" and have your own servers.

From their website:

Easy-to-grasp adventure creation tools empower users. Bring compelling quests to life and build challenging levels! Share creations with the entire world in-game. Become a part of the existing Dungeons & Dragons universe... Then build a new one.

No toolset? Wrong. No modules? Wrong. No servers? Correct. Well done man, you almost struck out there. If you wanna jump on the hate-Cryptic bandwagon, be my guest, but at least do a little research before opening your mouth. Some people still use these forums to gather information as opposed to bashing games.

• HagonbokHagonbok Member Posts: 365

Given that this site has lately been pretty actively striking games that don't qualify as mmorpgs off their list, then I hope it's safe to assume that mmorpg.com will not be actively following a game that doesn't even try and call itself a mmorpg.

• WolfjunkieWolfjunkie Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 985

Originally posted by DerWotan

I'm still hoping Turbine will sue Cryptic soon. Their BS like "its not a MMO" doesn't help because it will use the same engine so please sue them.

What are you talking about?

Just because a game uses the same engine as an MMO, does not make it an MMO.

Huxley, Mortal Online, TERA, etc all uses the Unreal 3 engine. What other games uses the Unreal 3 engine? ALOT of singleplayer games, for instance: Gears of War 1-3, Mass Effect 1-3, Splinter Cell: Conviction etc.

That being said, this is sad news for an amazing IP. Cryptic had an amazing oppertunity with Hero System 6th edition/Champions, litteraly endless of oppertunities. For those who don't know, Hero System allowed players to create their own abilities, items and such - With no limits, other than what the GM said. The system was flexible enough to create anything from a simple magical bolt to a spell that could destroy entire planets. And what did we end up with? Ugh.