Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LFGame, AGAIN

dothackkingdothackking Member UncommonPosts: 74

Hello, some would call me a game hopper, but that's not it, I just can't find another game to satisfy me!  I shall list the games I have played, what I would rate them, and what I liked or disliked about them.   I will also include.....less MMO and more ARPG-ish titles just to get a better idea of what I like.

BEWARE WALLOFTEXT

World of Warcraft - 8

I love my WoW, I go back to it every other attempt to find a new game.  The engame is great, the leveling (until the bazillionth time doing it) is great, it's nearly perfect.  The new loot systems implemented in 3.3 could use improvement but other than that, it's quite ideal.   I would like a game that didn't get boring after 2-4 months though.

Conquer Online - 7

CO is my most...invested in MMO.   I can no longer muster up the nerve to go back due to losing 900$ of gear, but it was great.   Quick to hit max level, and once you did, the pvp was fun.  I did not like how you couldn't stay with it for very long, I think my longest was 2 months.   I also disliked the fact that unless you spent real money on the game you were basically scwered.

Runescape - (old) 8  (new) 6

This one is quite controversial.  Most people bash RS players, but did they ever play it during the golden days?   My ideal time playing Runescape was just before the wilderness was removed, the only thing I disliked was how it was a purely mouse based game.  The quests were quite enticing, the crafting system was amazing, and, before the GE came out, there were plenty of ways to make major profits!  In this game you could TRULY "do what you want" and you didn't feel bad about the choice you made.   Some of my favorite things to do on Runescape were Fletching, Castle Wars, and making tons of money running law runes.

Diablo 2 - 7

Diablo 2 has not aged well.   It can only be played so many times before the storyline is just annoying, and there is really nothing to do after the story is done besides help others or farm baal all day.  I liked playing "legit" through the storyline with 2 or more friends, it was quite enjoyable.

Aion - 6

Aion....Alas, my most anticipated....failure.    I think the classes in Aion are the best of the classes in any other game, and the chain system is something I would love to see more of.   But the basic premise of a grindfest with pvp endgame doesn't interest me.

----------------------------------

The following have alot less played time, and my opinions are based on the few memories I have of them

----------------------------------

Warhammer - 7

Warhammer, from what I can remember, was fairly decent.   I liked the fact that PvP was a way to efficiently level, and the PvP was fun.  The skills and PvE seemed clunky and unpolished though.

Champions Online - 5

My lowest rating yet.  The only enjoyable thing in this game was the character creation.   Level 20 you're still using the same two moves as you were at level 1.

I have left some out that I don't specifically recall playing at the moment, or just didn't leave an impression.  If someone mentions them I will be sure to say something.   On another note, I have played almost all f2p "WoW clones."

Please do what you can to help me, F2P and P2P will both work, I'm actually leaning more towards P2P at the moment since those games usually keep you hooked longer.

Comments

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Vanguard's population is good enough to group pretty much everything now without a lot of hassle. Leveling is fun, there's a lot to explore and discover, the community is friendly and you get epic dungeons starting at lower level and sprinkled all the way up.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• dothackkingdothackking Member UncommonPosts: 74

Originally posted by skeaser

Vanguard's population is good enough to group pretty much everything now without a lot of hassle. Leveling is fun, there's a lot to explore and discover, the community is friendly and you get epic dungeons starting at lower level and sprinkled all the way up.

I tried Vangaurd, but I really didn't give it a fair try, the controls were too clunky just like every f2p MMO I try.

Some that I tried and know I would never try again:  DDO, City of Heroes, EQ2, Maplestory

Originally posted by dothackking

I tried Vangaurd, but I really didn't give it a fair try, the controls were too clunky just like every f2p MMO I try.

Some that I tried and know I would never try again:  DDO, City of Heroes, EQ2, Maplestory

Really? The controls in Vanguard feel pretty smooth to me. Are we talking about the same game, Vanguard isn't F2P.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

I don't believe I saw it listed, but why don't you play Lord of the Rings?

Vanguard is really for people who are just wired to play Vanguard. Unfortunately I had to take a several month break from games (and gaming for that matter) to find a job and attend to my social life. However, we had a guild that had almost 400 people. However, once the merges happened it seemed people lost interest so I believe the guild is pretty much a ghost town.

Otherwise I would have sent you an invite. image

I think what I"ve discovered, and what I"ve always proabably known about life, is that thigns either "grab you" or "dont'".

Recently I bought assassins creed 2 as I heard good things. But I couldn't get into the game play as the controls were a huge issue for me. Everything seemed to indicate a controller but the game was ported to computer (bare with me I'm actually still on topic!!!!).

So I plugged in a controller and though it was easier to navigate I found the experience frustrating.

I then tried the demo for mass effect 2, played it, and decided to buy it.

and I'm hooked. The game play is fun for me. Doesn't matter that I'm not an amazing fps guy, it's just fun.

So bringing it around, I really am a full believer in the idea that the game will either grab you, capture your imagination, or it won't.

My first mmo was lineage 2. From the very first "click" to move I knew I was in a comfortable area. Never questioned the game play as the whole thing felt natural for me.

so my advice is not to overthink it and just try a few games, lotro is one, and see. If the game doesn't grab you then just move on and don't worry about turrning back.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

It sounds like you have mostly played fantasy.  Also you seem to have missed out on a few games that are "open" like you seemed to like about RS.

You should consider Fallen earth as one although the "end game" is not so hot.. . the game is very open and not grindy at all.

Also you might want to look into Darkfall or Mortal online. . both Free for All PvP games with full loot.

It's the speghetti sauce story all over again though.

http://timkastelle.org/blog/2010/03/innovation-lessons-from-malcolm-gladwell/

people need to learn from this.   Most developers seem to be trying to find the "one" sauce that everyone will like. . instead of making the one smaller groups will love.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SimperFiSimperFi Member Posts: 108

I strongly suggest Renaissance Kingdoms

It's fun, social and everything is player made or run. Even the politics. It's modelled after the real world down to each city. Through social interactions with real people you can do just about anything, become a general, a mayor, a farmer or blacksmith. It's up to you really there are so many options it's ridiculous.

The game is a bit steep in learning curve and is a very social game. No funky asian characters or level 72 swords of Azaroth though. Every person in game is a player, armies consist of hundreds of players. Real countries with real players means civil wars, political strife, economic ventures, etc.

If you try it, join Ireland, I bet you'll like that country best. I live there and it's pretty sweet, always fighting. Also, if you live in the USA, you can pick Ireland, England or Scotland. Anywhere else and you get put in your real life country to play with people who speak your language. but you can move later. There is heraldry, history of characters, etc. It's pretty awesome.

If you want help, I run a small group that helps new players and we're a criminal/business organization among other things. We can give you starting directions.

My group: here     (post in the forums when you register)

Really? The controls in Vanguard feel pretty smooth to me. Are we talking about the same game, Vanguard isn't F2P.

OH right, I just tried their free trial.   Anyway, It wasn't movement or whatnot that seemed clunky, in just the two or three hours I spent in the trial I already disliked the combat, the extreme CPU/RAM usage for the bad graphics, and I got stuck on the landscape more than once.   

Originally posted by Lonestryder

Interesting. Vanguard's controls are no different than any AAA game. They are fairly typical and completely customizable. Can you be more specific when you rate them as being "clunky"?

I can not be sure, it was one of the ones I only tried for two days then decided I didn't like, if I recall it had combat similar to WAR, wherein casting spells just didn't feel natural.

Originally posted by Sovrath

I don't believe I saw it listed, but why don't you play Lord of the Rings?

Vanguard is really for people who are just wired to play Vanguard. Unfortunately I had to take a several month break from games (and gaming for that matter) to find a job and attend to my social life. However, we had a guild that had almost 400 people. However, once the merges happened it seemed people lost interest so I believe the guild is pretty much a ghost town.

Otherwise I would have sent you an invite. image

I think what I"ve discovered, and what I"ve always proabably known about life, is that thigns either "grab you" or "dont'".

Recently I bought assassins creed 2 as I heard good things. But I couldn't get into the game play as the controls were a huge issue for me. Everything seemed to indicate a controller but the game was ported to computer (bare with me I'm actually still on topic!!!!).

So I plugged in a controller and though it was easier to navigate I found the experience frustrating.

I then tried the demo for mass effect 2, played it, and decided to buy it.

and I'm hooked. The game play is fun for me. Doesn't matter that I'm not an amazing fps guy, it's just fun.

So bringing it around, I really am a full believer in the idea that the game will either grab you, capture your imagination, or it won't.

My first mmo was lineage 2. From the very first "click" to move I knew I was in a comfortable area. Never questioned the game play as the whole thing felt natural for me.

so my advice is not to overthink it and just try a few games, lotro is one, and see. If the game doesn't grab you then just move on and don't worry about turrning back.

I tried LOTRO as well, although I gave it the least of a try so I will likely try it again, especially since it's F2P now isn't it?    I didn't feel absorbed in the story, the game had a console-like tutorial that made no sense being in an MMO.  ]

But what you said about something "just clicking" is true.   WoW and CO I liked immediately even though I saw plenty of flaws I was hooked.  None of these games have hooked me even over up to a week of "trying" them

Originally posted by SimperFi

I strongly suggest Renaissance Kingdoms

It's fun, social and everything is player made or run. Even the politics. It's modelled after the real world down to each city. Through social interactions with real people you can do just about anything, become a general, a mayor, a farmer or blacksmith. It's up to you really there are so many options it's ridiculous.

The game is a bit steep in learning curve and is a very social game. No funky asian characters or level 72 swords of Azaroth though. Every person in game is a player, armies consist of hundreds of players. Real countries with real players means civil wars, political strife, economic ventures, etc.

If you try it, join Ireland, I bet you'll like that country best. I live there and it's pretty sweet, always fighting. Also, if you live in the USA, you can pick Ireland, England or Scotland. Anywhere else and you get put in your real life country to play with people who speak your language. but you can move later. There is heraldry, history of characters, etc. It's pretty awesome.

If you want help, I run a small group that helps new players and we're a criminal/business organization among other things. We can give you starting directions.

My group: here     (post in the forums when you register)

That sounds interesting, not my type of thing, but I may very well give it a try since I am SO sick of my current game.  (I like having SOME set rules....questlines and what not)

In my previous posts when I speak of "clunky" controls, EQ2 is a perfect example.  The combat didn't feel natural, I can't recall why, I think the "melee" skills still had a "cast" time, maybe?    I didn't like the HUGE class choice in EQ2...It was far too hard to pick

• SebaliSebali Member UncommonPosts: 395

OH right, I just tried their free trial.   Anyway, It wasn't movement or whatnot that seemed clunky, in just the two or three hours I spent in the trial I already disliked the combat, the extreme CPU/RAM usage for the bad graphics, and I got stuck on the landscape more than once.   

first time i've ever heard "vanguard has bad graphics"

i suggest fallen earth as another person did

Originally posted by Sebali

first time i've ever heard "vanguard has bad graphics"

i suggest fallen earth as another person did

"bad cpu/RAM usage for the bad graphics" meaning it was using nearly 2gb of RAM for graphics subpar to even WoW which doesn't use as much RAM.    The graphics were fine, but for the memory usage, no.

I personally love the combat, it's not too bad on my system but yeah, the terrain will eat you, often.

Anyway, to each their own. If I think of something else I'll post it here.

I personally love the combat, it's not too bad on my system but yeah, the terrain will eat you, often.

Anyway, to each their own. If I think of something else I'll post it here.

Thank you, sorry for the contradictory opinions, it's been a while since I played many of these, I just remember "I didn't like it" enough to quit after 2 days.

I also played RO, but from day one it seemed like a hassle.  I beared with it for a month but just couldn't keep going.  Tried three different classes.

• DeathTrippDeathTripp Member UncommonPosts: 263

LOL you expect to get any kind of decent graphics or decent performance on a game with 2GB ram?? You should upgrade. Your highest rated games are WOW and another subpar game.. It sounds to me like MMO's just aren't for you.

-----------------------------
    Real as Reality Television!!!

Originally posted by deathtripp

LOL you expect to get any kind of decent graphics or decent performance on a game with 2GB ram?? You should upgrade. Your highest rated games are WOW and another subpar game.. It sounds to me like MMO's just aren't for you.

...Deathtrip I said the SINGLE game uses 2GB of RAM.    That's actually the memory limit for a single program on a 32 bit pc.  I currently run 4gb of RAM, because unlike some little 14 year olds here, I have to pay for my own things, and haven't been able to afford more yet.

Is this guy always trolling peoples threads?

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

I'm in a similar situation to the OP having had my fill of the MMO's that I enjoyed and have tried most of the rest without finding something I want to devote time to.

But I am content to wait for th eenxt batch of MMOs to be released and am enjoying my extra "free" time doing other things and catching up on things I missed during my "playing" days.I too felt the compulsion initially to find another MMO to fill the boid because I've been MMOing for close to a decade but resisted the urge to be palying something till it subsided.

Perhaps the OP should also consider this route.

Originally posted by Drakynn

I'm in a similar situation to the OP having had my fill of the MMO's that I enjoyed and have tried most of the rest without finding something I want to devote time to.

But I am content to wait for th eenxt batch of MMOs to be released and am enjoying my extra "free" time doing other things and catching up on things I missed during my "playing" days.I too felt the compulsion initially to find another MMO to fill the boid because I've been MMOing for close to a decade but resisted the urge to be palying something till it subsided.

Yes, soon that route will be for me too, but right now I am in the process of applying to college and getting a job so I have nothing BUT free time until I get a job, or attend college next year.

• SimperFiSimperFi Member Posts: 108

Originally posted by Drakynn

Consider my reply. It can take 5 mins or hours whatever you want to spend and do in game.

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777

i only got stuck in vanguard like 3 times out of one month. but i guess thats just me lol. they did change alot of stuff, no idea when you tryed it lol.   anyways if you tryed it along time ago the game has changed/. if it was like 2 weeks ago or somehting i guess the game is not for you haha.

good luck in finding what game you want

try DAOC  best RVR / PVP ever made in a game. thou the game has seen better days its still good to at least say you tryed.

Originally posted by punkrock

i only got stuck in vanguard like 3 times out of one month. but i guess thats just me lol. they did change alot of stuff, no idea when you tryed it lol.   anyways if you tryed it along time ago the game has changed/. if it was like 2 weeks ago or somehting i guess the game is not for you haha.

good luck in finding what game you want

try DAOC  best RVR / PVP ever made in a game. thou the game has seen better days its still good to at least say you tryed.

I was considering that one, have been for ages since I heard Hobbs talk about some PvP/PvE zone.