Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift on Gamescon 2010! Some new info inside!

Psym0nPsym0n Member UncommonPosts: 283

Boy oh boy oh boy!

Have I had a blast playing Rift! And, by chatting up with the developers I sqeeshed some more information from them on the upcoming features! 

They couldn't tell me a lot but they told me another Cleric class named a Warden will be joining real soon, they told me it's a HoT healer with instant cast damage spells. The other cool news is that they plan on unveilling a new Rogue class aswell.. and this one can TANK! 

Overall, the gameplay is amazing.. you hop into the world and you instantly feel like your home again. Nothing has wierd bindings, everything works as intended (even though it's Alpha still). 

The graphics are simply astonishing, you can actually see the leaves on the trees, and it looks real, real and messy.. because the first zone I was in made me fight a death Rift.. which is pretty awesome!

Ask me some questions if you want.. I'll try to answer it as much as I can!

Cheers!

Comments

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757

Nice to hear more about this game. Thx for the info. Btw add something about rift in the title if u can to make it more clear what the post is about.

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767

I am really hoping this game does well. Out of all the upcoming mmos this is the one I am looking forward to the most. The graphics being astonishing worries me a bit though...It has to be well optimized or else it might end up like Age of Conan.

What I'm curious is what class you played and how did it feel and how responsive was the game. I mean did the char movement and trigger of attacks feel fluid? I know it's still in alpha, but I am curious about this.

• Psym0nPsym0n Member UncommonPosts: 283

Originally posted by AvatarBlade

What I'm curious is what class you played and how did it feel and how responsive was the game. I mean did the char movement and trigger of attacks feel fluid? I know it's still in alpha, but I am curious about this.

I've played three classes, playing two of those only till level 4.

Those were the Paladin and the Sentinel. The Paladin wasn't my playstyle, very low damage output and slow attacks(which I hate). The Sentinel on the other hand was a class I really enjoyed, being able to do a good amount of damage and healing myself on the way.

After I talked to one of the designers and asking him what's his favourite Cleric class he told me I should really try the Purifier (got level 9).

Which is simply playing with fire! You get to do damage with firespells and heal yourself with the same fire you shoot your enemies with. You also got the power to shield yourself with various anti-spells, namely spell and/or physical shields.

The combat and movement felt real, they didn't go clutchy, the keys I pressed reacted instantly and the movement was surprisingly normal. In most games the characters run faster then they move their legs, which wasn't the case with the characters in Rift.

The only thing I disliked about the interaction with the character and the world is that if you loot a chest or an object you can do that from a distance, which always looks wierd because you are grabbing absolutely nothing.

But all in all, I liked the game and how it felt. I hope they can keep the sense of realness in this game and deliver a super project!

• PhusPhus Member UncommonPosts: 40

The prospects of a rogue tanking class seems very interesting. I've been watching this game silently and I'm pleased so far. Hopefully this will be an mmo that can hold my interest longer than one play session. 

• PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

Thank you for the comments. Game is sounding better all the time.

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

Thx for the answer Psy.

Originally posted by AvatarBlade

Thx for the answer Psy.

Doing all I can to support this game.. afterall they gave me a VIP beta key invitation :D and if I am in there I can't say anything anymore hehe!

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

How do you feel pvp/rvr will be in this game . You probably only killed a few mobs but they would have described perhaps what its about.  What does "the grind" look like it might be.

Originally posted by Wicoa

How do you feel pvp/rvr will be in this game . You probably only killed a few mobs but they would have described perhaps what its about.  What does "the grind" look like it might be.

I asked them about that, they told me the game will focus on PvE, but will have kingdom vs kingdom pvp (which I think should be something like RvR?)

The grind in this game seems to be the same as in others, killing mobs, doing quests, doing dungeons. But in a more interesting way. They showed us a demo of an instance, which they entered at level 20. Then after they showed it they showed it again, but now they were level 30 and the instance in which you were fighting goblins turned into a breeding pit that the goblins used to breed Dragons.

This looked really cool to me, they said that instances will be available through every level, and every time you get higher in level the instances change as well. This also happens with Rifts. If you keep trashing the rifts within five minutes they told me they would intervene. This would mean they would make the rift more attractive to the opposing faction, or take control of the enemies THEMSELVES (yes, GM's taking control of the enemies to own the living shit out of you!)

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864

how did you get all this special access to the game?

• charlionfirecharlionfire Member Posts: 166

The information given before GamesCom about PvP is that there will be types of battlegrounds, probably PvP servers with world pvp enabled, and possibly Rift PvP.

What OP is describing with GM intervention is completely new info(?).

Originally posted by Tazlor

how did you get all this special access to the game?

I got this info because I talked with four people for about one hour. They explained a lot to me and they made it clear that the main purpose is to keep the player happy and refreshed.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I only played 1 class, but I agree. It looked great and was fun to play. Looking much forward to it.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Ok question....

detail,like the thought process yo uhave to use for combat,if there is any?

Choice of weapon/skills do they matter?

Side note,"NEW" Warden class,can't they come up with at least a unique name,Warden and SOE must tire of the constant copying from Eq.

You mention realistic leaves,i say great,but is there any meaningful props or backdrops or just barren land with trees?

Basically give me some more DETAIL.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RamaelRamael Member Posts: 91

Originally posted by Wizardry

Ok question....

Side note,"NEW" Warden class,can't they come up with at least a unique name,Warden and SOE must tire of the constant copying from Eq.

You mention realistic leaves,i say great,but is there any meaningful props or backdrops or just barren land with trees?

Just to point out... Trion =/= SOE, though a portion of the talent does have an EQ pedigree. That said, the Warden name for a class is actually pretty common as far as RPGs go in general. Just one of those words that tends to be reused again regardless of medium. Even Warcraft 3 used it for a hero (Annoying Night Elf wench from the expansion, as I recall).

As for questions, how smooth was the leveling curve? Did the 1-9 trek feel relatively fluid, or was it unusually arduous?

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

The "tank" rogue calling soul you mention will most likely be the unannouced but see many times in videos "Riftstalker" soul (class). It was noted at Gamescon that a guy was playing this soul and he functioned as the tank for the group he was in due to a damage shield the soul has (it has access to some magic I believe). EIther way, the guy was from a game site and he wrote an article about it as well as another girl from another site wrote about her playing experience in that group with him working as the tank of sorts.

There are links to both articles on the official forums.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

Originally posted by Ramael

Originally posted by Wizardry

Ok question....

Just to point out... Trion =/= SOE, though a portion of the talent does have an EQ pedigree. That said, the Warden name for a class is actually pretty common as far as RPGs go in general. Just one of those words that tends to be reused again regardless of medium. Even Warcraft 3 used it for a hero (Annoying Night Elf wench from the expansion, as I recall).

As for questions, how smooth was the leveling curve? Did the 1-9 trek feel relatively fluid, or was it unusually arduous?

On both you guys:

Wizardry:

You surely have to think what skills to use in combat, as my characters used mana I couldn't just spam one skill and kill the mob. Also it is necessary to think which points to spend in your soultree, if you want to be a healer you should take healing souls, but you could also take damage souls and use spells that heal you and damage the enemies.

I don't know of the weapons, because it's in alpha there isn't a lot of customisation.  They said it would improve in the months to come? 

And about the classname.. who cares? as long as the class is fine and distinctive from other games it's cool with me!

Ramael:

The leveling was in a curve as you mention.. the higher level the more exp needed. But you also got more exp from quests. It felt relatively fluid and I wasn't even watching my levels until I noticed this Soultree bar popping up everytime haha!

What's also cool is that you get 1 point each level to spend in your Soultree, so you can customize your character from level 1!

• PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

Originally posted by Psym0n

I wasn't even watching my levels until I noticed this Soultree bar popping up everytime haha!

This, to me, is a good sign. In a good game leveling is something that happens while playing, not the focus of playing.

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

• RamaelRamael Member Posts: 91

Oh, excellent. Thanks for the info. It's good to see that the game doesn't feel like a chore to level even from the beginning, as so many others do.