Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am tired of all the adds

2»

Comments

• MyskMysk Member Posts: 982

I've taken the time to poke around a bit and have discovered that NoScript is a useful tool for trimming back some of the ads.  As a result I let some of them display and block some of the others.  This is probably better than blocking every single ad on the site.

I'm still not against the idea of a donation of sorts to remove the ads, at least for a time.  I don't expect it to be much. Somewhere between $1 - $5. That's probably better or about as much as you get from me via ads considering that I have a number of them blocked and was previously blocking all of them.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by SgtFrog

If mmorpg.com added a premium pay section to remove adds+ add other perks would you pay?

Just curious

((and really bored)) 

Nope I have stamina for ads all day what I don't have the stamina for is another company trying to get there hands in my pocket monthly.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

The ads are fine as they are now.

The ads were tiresome when they started advertising dragon age a non mmo and apart of ads putting dragon age on every news,ecc.

Till they remain like it's now np to me if the dragon age trend starts again then hope ad blocker hides them else bye bye mmorpg.com

• KidfierceKidfierce Member Posts: 36

Originally posted by Admin

Thanks for the (mostly) support of our advertising here at MMORPG.com.  We have always strived to ensure all of our ads are gaming related and unobtrusive to our readers.  For this reason we forbid pop-up, pop-under, road block, fly out, expandable ads,  audio ads, email advertising, or any of those annoying textual hyperlink ads (man how I hate those!).  And trust me, we could have made piles of money from these ad forms - but your satisfaction here is more important to us.  

So..let me get this straight:  Your site could be making a Pile of MONEY,  but instead you  want us to be satisfied with the site.  Seriously?    Companies all have bottom lines now, in this present economy.    Customer satisfaction went out the window a long time ago.

I'll go to my boss tomorrow:  Boss....I'm not worried about being paid, I just want to make sure you're satisfied with my performance. 

If you are just worried about our happiness..why have any ads at all...

• farginwarfarginwar Member Posts: 134

Thanks for the (mostly) support of our advertising here at MMORPG.com.  We have always strived to ensure all of our ads are gaming related and unobtrusive to our readers.  For this reason we forbid pop-up, pop-under, road block, fly out, expandable ads,  audio ads, email advertising, or any of those annoying textual hyperlink ads (man how I hate those!).  And trust me, we could have made piles of money from these ad forms - but your satisfaction here is more important to us.

I have no problems with most adverts, but I highly dislike the flashy "look at me look at me" ones. I have enough trouble marshalling my thoughts without them being sent scattering like roaches when the lights go on by someome that just wants to sell me something. Maybe if we could see more non-distracting adds like the Heroes of the Three Kingdoms background one, instead of the siezure inducing animated ones, more people might leave their add blockers off when they visit.

It is my belief that if ads are relevant than everyone wins.  Before the Internet (yes I am THAT old) I used to buy gaming magazines *just* to flip through the glossy full page ads - it was really the only way I could find out what was "coming soon"

Did you also send away for Sea-Monkeys, X-Ray Specs, and Magic rocks as well? I think I spent more time and maybe even had more fun reading through those silly adds on the backs of comic books, then I did actually reading the comic.

Regarding AdBlock.  I just want to say that setting MMORPG.com aside for a moment - this is a trend that is going to kill the free Internet as we know it.  Over the past 3-5 years we have seen ad blocking rise from 10% to what appears to be 35% or more just on MMORPG.com.  Were this to continue much beyond 50% we would be faced with some grim choices, including shutting down the site, charging membership, reducing the quality and amount of content (as we would have to let go all paid staff) or barring users from entering who block ads (yes, this is possible but never desirable).  Either way we would be faced with a decision that is bad for all parties.

I visit probably 12-20 websites per day that are supported by advertising.  I am more than happy viewing ads knowing that I get this content for free.

If you like our site and you use it on a regular basis please support us by disabling AdBlock on our domain.  Our team works hard to make this site possible and that is really not asking for much imo.

Oh yes, and in response to the topic - we will never offer a "premium" level of membership here.  I really don't want to collect money from you guys - it really goes against our philosophy.

I guess we get into the attitude that since we are paying for our own internet connection the rest of the internet should be free. Which is both incorrect and drastically unfair to sites such as this because they cost the site's owners money to keep running.

I have to admit my guilt at being one of the AdBlock users. The thing is though is I don't run it for the main purpose of avoiding advertisements, but to protect myself from malicious malware spawning flash adds. Trust me, they are out there. In fact if I remember correctly posters here had trouble with one about two years ago.

If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, riddle 'em with bullets

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by Kidfierce

So..let me get this straight:  Your site could be making a Pile of MONEY,  but instead you  want us to be satisfied with the site.  Seriously?    Companies all have bottom lines now, in this present economy.    Customer satisfaction went out the window a long time ago.

I'll go to my boss tomorrow:  Boss....I'm not worried about being paid, I just want to make sure you're satisfied with my performance. 

If you are just worried about our happiness..why have any ads at all...

I believe Craig was trying to illustrate that we were able to achieve a compromise. With our current configuration (which works very well) we are able to maintain the site and pay its staff while using the least intrusive forms of (and most relevant to you) ads to do so.

We aren't some huge corporation. Sure, we all want to make money, but in our case we don't have to sacrifice the customer experience to accomplish that, and so we don't.

Hope that makes sense! Thanks!

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

1. No

2. I rarely pay attention to ads and they don't bother me at all - compared to other types of as (pop-ups, pop-unders, instant video/audio ads, etc..), they're wonderful...

3. For those of you using ad-blockers, it's the same as stealing, IMO.  Some advertisers actually pay based on impressions, not just clicks.  This is an advertisement-driven website.  For you to consume it's content, but deny it's source of revenue is basically stealing, in my eyes.  If it were my site, I'd try to find a (legal) way to hide the content if ads weren't being served... (/*edit - posted before I saw the admin response - I agree that this isn't a great solution and my response is more of a "last resort" reply.*/)

~Ripper

• thecrapthecrap Member Posts: 433

They need it to make money this place dosent run on pixie dust

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

Originally posted by thecrap

They need it to make money this place dosent run on pixie dust

Did you even read the OP?

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• SgtEchoSgtEcho Member Posts: 139

I wasn't even aware that this site ran ads! However, I stay on it all day while browsing the web so I prefer to keep adblock on just because I'm paranoid.

It's also useful for youtube and such. Yes, some sites are supported by ads, but what difference does it make if we see them or not? I didn't really think they profitted a whole lot from ads anyways. Maybe I'm not understanding this?

• JackyM2010JackyM2010 Member Posts: 22

this gaming site without ads will be dead, or maybe they will charge a fee to every member if you want that happen just let them knows,I am sure they will make some kind of arrangement,

just my 2 cent :)

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Internet consists to 90% of Ads. I'm getting quite resistant to them. *shrugs*

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

i will never give this site a dime. hahaha.

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

Originally posted by bloodaxes
    The ads are fine as they are now.
    The ads were tiresome when they started advertising dragon age a non mmo and apart of ads putting dragon age on every news,ecc.
    Till they remain like it's now np to me if the dragon age trend starts again then hope ad blocker hides them else bye bye mmorpg.com

I'd rather have a fine game like Dragon Age advertised than this F2P garbage.

• KuvajokeriKuvajokeri Member Posts: 55

It's quite easy to block the ads using the right software. Anyway, I can quite easily understand your frustration with them; ads have made me to completely stop visiting certain websites (even though I could've blocked the ads there, too) as well as have made me make the decision to completely stop watching commercial TV channels or listening to commercial radio.

An another thing about ads on this website is that they consume a lot of resources on the worst computers. Just a few days ago a friend of mine gave me his old computer, for he had bought a new one. I am now posting from this old computer and before blocking the ads I have to say the site was working awfully slowly for me; even scrolling down the site or clicking a link were difficult tasks to do. I blocked the ads and here we go, I can now use the site completely free of flag or screen freezes.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

I think the ads at this site are appropriate. There is one thing about some of them though.  If I can't hover my mouse over an ad and see the link where it goes to I am much less likely to click on it than I am one that I can see the link.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • TahamtanTahamtan Member Posts: 232

I wouldn't and I also like many of the MMO ads. I know the new MMORPGs that way.

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

Don't bother me at all, and frankly - I'd hate to lose this site :D!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Originally posted by SgtFrog

If mmorpg.com added a premium pay section to remove adds+ add other perks would you pay?

Just curious

((and really bored)) 

I have to stick up for the site on this one as i visit soem sites that absolutely drive me nuts and this sites adverts don't cause me any problems at all.POP UPS are the worst by a mile,we have none here ,so i am quite happy,they need to make money ,no problem at all with that.

The only issue i have is the site does not work well with Firefox at all,i get problems all the time.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.