Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Funny Mail from Blizzard

Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

I played the WoW free trial about three years ago.  Played it two days, then never touched the thing again.  Never paid dime one to them.

I got an email from Blizzard a few days ago asking me to renew my account.  They send me a second one asking if I'd be interested in closed beta for this "cataclysm," or whatever it is.

Is this game in trouble?  I mean, they never saw fit to contact me for three years.  I played the trial, didn't like their game, and it was all cool.  They should know that a guy who hasn't bit after three years ain't gonna bite.  So what other reason could there be for sending me promotional emails and beta invites than they are desperate for fresh blood, so desperate that they are targeting three year old trial accounts that don't care?

Has this game peaked?

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
--Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
--Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

Comments

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Prolly scams from some goldfarmer.

This have been a good conversation

• echo117499echo117499 Member Posts: 52

There called phishing emails, not from blizard lol.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

no, it is probably a fake one

I have not played WoW since 05 and get like 5 fake emails a day.

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

Originally posted by Beatnik59

I played the WoW free trial about three years ago.  Played it two days, then never touched the thing again.  Never paid dime one to them.

I got an email from Blizzard a few days ago asking me to renew my account.  They send me a second one asking if I'd be interested in closed beta for this "cataclysm," or whatever it is.

Is this game in trouble?  I mean, they never saw fit to contact me for three years.  I played the trial, didn't like their game, and it was all cool.  They should know that a guy who hasn't bit after three years ain't gonna bite.  So what other reason could there be for sending me promotional emails and beta invites than they are desperate for fresh blood, so desperate that they are targeting three year old trial accounts that don't care?

Has this game peaked?

It's phishing emails sent by account sellers/gold sellers to acquire your account information. It's not sent by Blizzard.

• Southpaw.GamerSouthpaw.Gamer Member CommonPosts: 572

chances are those two emails were not from Blizzard but just scam emails looking to try and steal a possible WoW account.  I get a WoW related email every few days and I don't even have a WoW account tied to my main email... they are just something everyone gets these days and you just need to ignore them.

I have been noticing a new one since I did get one related to my whole Bnet account getting "locked" which is something that is possible... but it wasn't true. 

Full Sail University - Game Design

• zeidenzeiden Member Posts: 44

I got a friend who stoped playing wow and he got the cataclysm beta invite. His comment was "They'll do anything to drag you back in."

it seems like they're trying to target people who have stopped playing and offer them a chance to see what's new :D

Edit:

Or yep it could be a scam or whatnot.

I wonder if he got the point by now =P

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

Originally posted by tawess

I wonder if he got the point by now =P

Na, I think we need a few more pages.

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

Originally posted by zeiden

I got a friend who stoped playing wow and he got the cataclysm beta invite. His comment was "They'll do anything to drag you back in."

it seems like they're trying to target people who have stopped playing and offer them a chance to see what's new :D

Also still most likley a scam as afaik you need a account in good standing... EI active and with no bans or suspensions on to get a invite.

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

Those are scams.. I get a few per week, on email accounts that have never even touched WoW in any way.. so funny.

Here's the latest.. notice the URL's. These sorts of emails are why so many WoW accounts get hacked all the time.

Hello, thank you for shopping at the Blizzard Store!

World of Warcraft® Mount: Celestial Steed : 9223846139332963182096464

To use this key to activate the pet, simply follow these instructions:

* Create a Battle.net account (or if you already have one, log in) at http://www.blizzard.supportconfirmation.com/battle.htm
    * Verify your e-mail address. (If you have previously verified your address, skip this step.) From the main Account Management page, click the 'verify this e-mail address' link. Then, check your e-mail account for a verification e-mail. Click the link in this e-mail to verify your e-mail address.
    * Return to the Battle.net account management page, then click on 'Code Redemption'.
    * Enter the above Pet Key in the code field.
    * Once you have successfully redeemed this code, you will be able use the pet in World of Warcraft.

NOTE: If you have previously chosen to gift your digital purchase, attaching this key to their Battle.net account will prevent the gift recipient from being able to redeem this key with your Battle.net account.

Domain Name ..................... SUPPORTCONFIRMATION.COM
    Name Server ..................... dns13.hichina.com
    dns14.hichina.com
    Registrant ID ................... hc406069734-cn
    Registrant Name ................. mikle joson
    Registrant Organization ......... mikle joson
    Registrant Address .............. znkaol asf kfal aflkfk lkajf afw
    Registrant City ................. zhengzhou
    Registrant Province/State ....... HA
    Registrant Postal Code .......... 654152
    Registrant Country Code ......... CN

• zeidenzeiden Member Posts: 44

Also still most likley a scam as afaik you need a account in good standing... EI active and with no bans or suspensions on to get a invite.

My friend stopped playing for a few months and he's trying the beta.

but in OP's case it might be a scam like you guys said. I get daily e-mails aswell from fake blizz.

• rwmillerrwmiller Member Posts: 472

Seriously, if you don't bother to read anything that is posted on this site why bother to post?

Blizzard doesn't send out emails for people to play the Beta. Blizzard doesn't send out emails. Gold farmers looking to trick gullible people send out emails. Every time I think there can't be anyone left to fall for one of these another post appears.

If you get an email from Blizzard delete it because it ain't from them.

My friend stopped playing for a few months and he's trying the beta.

but in OP's case it might be a scam like you guys said. I get daily e-mails aswell from fake blizz.

Then he is one lucky sod that his account was flagged before the sub ran out.

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

Originally posted by rwmiller
    Blizzard doesn't send out emails.

A few more times, for effect:

Have people gotten the message yet? Of course not. Morons :p

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

I don't know if you need an account in good standing to receive an invite, but if you get selected I think you do.

However in order to get a beta invite you have to opt into the beta invite system.  (some exceptions apply like friends and family)

As many others have already, those are phising emails.  Some "hackers" somehow got ahold of your friends email address and started spamming him with fake, but very authentic looking emails.

Most likely from a game site he registered the email address with or something along those lines.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Originally posted by SgtFrog

no, it is probably a fake one

I have not played WoW since 05 and get like 5 fake emails a day.

Tell me about the gold spam / phishing mails for WoW... At the moment I get SPAMmed on 3 eMail accounts for this sh!t. Meanwhile I've made a message ruling where EVERY message with BLIZZARD in it's body is trashed automatically. Saves me lots of time doing it manually :D

• midmagicmidmagic Member Posts: 614

Originally posted by randomt

Originally posted by rwmiller

A few more times, for effect:

Have people gotten the message yet? Of course not. Morons :p

Lies. Blizzard does send out emails. They even send out some emails for account managment.

Forever looking for employment. Life is rather dull without it.