Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To those awaiting the new server...

Of course I'm referring to the casual server that Mythic is currently working on. As you may know it's been awhile since they've updated us on it's status, so I ask all of you interested in it to let them know you want to hear some news regarding it's progress. Tell them you want to see this server sooner rather than later, the more people that show support for the casual server, the better. Follow the link below and let em know how you feel, it'll only take a moment. image

http://www.camelotherald.com/feedback.php

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Introducing FUN, a new guild which will be residing on the upcoming new server!

http://daocfunguild.bravehost.com/index.html

Comments

• OgrelinOgrelin Member Posts: 636
    I rather see they make the existing servers more casual...
  • JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528

Outside of some changes to ToA I wish they would not make the current servers more casual.  They are too casual as it is. 

The reason I think it is has more to do with the new people I got playing the game recently.  As they put it, if it keeps getting easier then why bother playing?  They will get a toon to 50 quickly, then another one, etc.  The only point will be RvR and some of them are not that into that aspect of the game. 

Yeah I was thinking about making ToA abit more easy....the rest is fine now...
  • _Drakin__Drakin_ Member Posts: 50
    I agree, TOA needs to be toned down quite a bit for the casual server. The massive time-sinks just screw over the casual gamer, it's no suprise so many have left DAOC.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by _Drakin_
    I agree, TOA needs to be toned down quite a bit for the casual server. The massive time-sinks just screw over the casual gamer, it's no suprise so many have left DAOC.

This isn't a defense of ToA.  But I would really like to stop this impression the ToA is responsible for the loss of DAOC population.  The population was at 250k after SI, then continured to fall.  Once ToA was released its numbers went back up to 250k. 

It wasn't until WoW came out that DAOC returned to declining population numbers.  From the release of ToA until WoW time it had an increasing population every month.  It is all about perception and mostly from those who had played it since the begining for RvR.  Many of those who hate ToA also hate NF and many other changes as well. 

How they are going to handle ToA on the casual server will be interesting.  They might leave it out, they might make it quick, they might replace the abilities with only PvE relevant abilities, etc. 

Originally posted by JulianDracos

This isn't a defense of ToA.  But I would really like to stop this impression the ToA is responsible for the loss of DAOC population.  The population was at 250k after SI, then continured to fall.  Once ToA was released its numbers went back up to 250k. 

It wasn't until WoW came out that DAOC returned to declining population numbers.  From the release of ToA until WoW time it had an increasing population every month.  It is all about perception and mostly from those who had played it since the begining for RvR.  Many of those who hate ToA also hate NF and many other changes as well. 

How they are going to handle ToA on the casual server will be interesting.  They might leave it out, they might make it quick, they might replace the abilities with only PvE relevant abilities, etc. 

TOA helped drive many people away from the game. I base this statement on the fact that many of my in game friends who left DAOC mentioned the grind of TOA being a contributing factor to their departure. Also some mentioned buffbots. This isn't to say that some of them wouldn't have left for WOW or other games anyways but they would have been more likely to stay if TOA didn't require such a large amount of time to complete and buffbots weren't so common.

Well, many powergamers and gankgroups have left as well, but now they are comming back in drowes...and new people to :)

• VlalkorVlalkor Member UncommonPosts: 2

I agree with the ToA needing to be toned down a bit. The 3 check system they have inplace is killing the economy as well as a huge timesink.

I wouldnt mind seeing soloing having more rewards to it. Not all new players have a bot to help them level up easy.

I would not mind if they remove scrolls altogheter...make monsters drop complete books instead
  • ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Unless something has changed I read they won't allow character transfers. I am not starting over this late in the game on a new server after building so much on Gaheris. So even though this does sound interesting to me, its far to late.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

Originally posted by Fadeus

Unless something has changed I read they won't allow character transfers. I am not starting over this late in the game on a new server after building so much on Gaheris. So even though this does sound interesting to me, its far to late.

I can understand that, it's hard leaving behind characters you've invested so much time into. However for me the lure of the casual server is just too strong to resist, a server with no buffbots and lessened time-sinks of TOA, that's DAOC utopia for me. image

Not sure what a "buff-bot" is, if your refering to someone dual boxing, well I have no problem with that what so ever. The person is paying for 2 accounts, he has the right to use them.

Unless you mean an AC 1 type of buff bot that was parked somewhere and you can give money too and it would buff you via a macro. Then again, that never bothered me either, so I guess I don't see what your greivance with them are.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

A buff bot is a second account that is used to buff another player.  Sometimes it is put on a second machine, sometimes the person runs both of the games on the same computer.

A buff bot is usually parked in a "safe" place.  A place where it cannot be attacked by other players.  Further all of the buffs go to one player.  The reason that people are upset about this is not just that toon that is buffing cannot be attacked, but that unlike in a group where the buffs would be spread out, they all go to one person.  This makes that person just that much harder to kill.  Also in a group the buffer usually goes with the group or stays near.  This makes it at least possible you have a chance to kill their healer. 

I do not have a problem with buffbots.  But I can see why others get upset.  The issue that I have is the lack of actual healers in the game.  I do not blame buff bots for this.  I blame the players for always complaing/blaming healers for when they die or for being out of buffs.  Then those players that complain tend to go make their own buff bot and there was a period where even if a healer was around no one would want to group with them. 

If you decided to make your Druid a battle druid and not have very good heals you would be tossed out.  All the tanks really wanted was to be kept alive and did not care if the person playing the healer was having any fun. 

• DeusInferaDeusInfera Member Posts: 4

For my thoughts on the detriment of buffbots (among other things) head over to the rvr forum under the subject "...mythic cares"

Anyways, about this server.

It sounds fuck-ing awe-some! If they took the grind element out (or substantially lessened it) and even adressed the buffbot issue (MJ hinted at this), this would be the new prodigy of DAOC. I'm sure most people, not just casual gamers, would flock there. It would be like UO reverting back to it's golden age pre-renaissance (or better yet, T2A).

Sure, people would be reluctant to uproot. Doesn't mean they have abandon their old characters. I'm sure most people would like to return to camelot as it once was, where the world was fresh, everyone had a low-level character with a few copper pieces and had mithra drops for armor (Alb ref.)

I for sure would like to return to a time when characters, specifically stealthers, weren't buffed up the ass. When skill, determination and enjoyment represented the epitomy of RvR rather than geek squads with their +1 sword of ub3rd0m that doesn't really make them uber because everyone else and their grandmother's dog has one.

Casual wouldn't only benefit casual gamers. Powergamers would be in even more bliss on the server (unless they exp/time cap which is bullshit).

If mythic does this they might actually get some of my money. They would still have to get sanya to beg and strip for me (even if she's nasty) but, hey, who wouldn' t want a guy like me?

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

What's a casual server? Still confused about this....

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

Originally posted by Roin

"Last and certainly not least is that since the original launch of the game, we have looked at creating a new server type that is geared to players who have less time than others to commit to a MMORPG. This exciting new server will cater to both the casual player as well as address some of the concerns of players about bots and the time commitment necessary to complete ToA. We will be announcing full details about this server type in the coming weeks but I believe that this server will go a long way in making DAoC the leader of the pack in regards to the casual player"

• falconasfalconas Member Posts: 14

ToA was a mistake and as you have seen Mythic has corrected it with Catacombs...

The prime aspect of DAOC is RvR and the 3 different realms...

It's what makes you keep going till you can manage to explore every corner of it. But to Do that you have to play in all Realms.

Starting out even with a /lvl toon in an uknown realm is like discovering a new game . ToA has nothing of that. Things you do in one realm are exactly the same in the other realms.

But then ToA items are what kept thsoe hardcore gamers in game...

Even with WoW and it's huge tide (the game reached 1.5 million subcribers) Mythic and DAOC kept it's core players around 250K

it's an accomplishment that it ain't an easy one.

I think even if nothing much happens to the casual server DAOC is really a casual gamer friendly game (if you don't like the ToA hussle don't go there).

WoW tried to be a casual friendly game too but IMHO it's way to easy (even casual players need a challenge)

Anyway I'm also waiting to see what Mythic has in store for us :)

I'm sure we ain't gonna be dissapointed with the outcome :)

Get me that ALE!!!!

Twice the experience, half the effort...

- Scaris

In Mythic's haste to compete with WoW they decided to make a casual server.  Although it hasn't been released yet.  The server is meant to appeal to those who are "casual" players - whatever that means.  It is meant to address issues of buff-bots, make leveling quicker and easier, and do something about ToA so that players won't need to spend a lot of time earning ML or gaining artifacts. 

I think the only reason that a casual server would do well is if it does something about the bots.  I think that would really be the only pull for players to go there.  Leveling is easy enough in DAOC, any more then they should just give you a level 50!