Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play OLD SWG before WOW Era?

13»

Comments

• Originally posted by SanHor

Originally posted by zaxxon23

Originally posted by Simsu

What does WoW have to do with SWG? Is SWG a WoW clone now? Please please tell me people blame the CU and NGE on WoW. Please please....

Yes, SOE attempted to turn SWG into a wow clone with the nge.  The CU was in motion well before wow was released so the cu not so much.

Actually WOW was released 6 months before CU took place....

Like I said, it was in motion, not released.  I didn't even know all that much about it, and still don't (after all I quit before it was released).  But when I quit, the day wow was released, most everyone in swg knew that a combat upgrade and rebalance was in the works, even if we didn't know all that much about what exactly they were working on for the cu.  We just knew it was planned.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Didn't WoW release in Oct 2004? Weren't the SWG devs talking about the CU components before publish 9? Wasn't publish 9 released June 2004? WoW was not a direct influence of the CU until later (the toolbar action animations and cooldowns reflected directly off WoW).

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I would play it because there is nothing like it out now.  It wasn't just combat that I liked, it was crafting, socializing, and rp too.  For a game that had nothing to do, there seemed to always be a million things to do.  It was fun that way.

It's the only mmo I reminisce about.  I had so many good and memorable times there. Nothing out right now compares to that.

• BushMonkeyBushMonkey Member Posts: 1,406

Would you play OLD SWG before WOW Era?

I "did" play it before WOW Era, there is no would.. $OE ruined all that.  No other MMO has come close for immersion for me.

When i play other MMO's i know i am playing a game.

But SWG was like i lived,breathed and walked with that toon.  And when i went to sleep i dreamt of it.

A true virtual reality where i could live the greatest Star Wars Saga ever told.

My own.

That said i just don't get how $OE can come up with some great games and concepts for games SWG a virtual world, EQ epic in its own right, PlanetSide with 500 people going at it on a map, and in the end ruin it for so many.

• SelenicaSelenica Member Posts: 183

I would think about it but it's really too late now. I would have liked to see more of SWG's better features added into SWTOR though. But sadly, it's nothing more than WOW.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by Selenica

I would think about it but it's really too late now. I would have liked to see more of SWG's better features added into SWTOR though. But sadly, it's nothing more than WOW.

theres no way they would mix tbh, TOR is a storyline based instanced adventure game, SWG was an open world skill based, sandbox, one of the reasons why the NGE was such a flat out failure - whether or not TOR is nothing more than a Sci-fi WoW remains to be seen, though there is no real evidence at the moment that would enable me to contradict that supposition.

• SanHorSanHor Member UncommonPosts: 336

Originally posted by Phry

theres no way they would mix tbh, TOR is a storyline based instanced adventure game, SWG was an open world skill based, sandbox, one of the reasons why the NGE was such a flat out failure - whether or not TOR is nothing more than a Sci-fi WoW remains to be seen, though there is no real evidence at the moment that would enable me to contradict that supposition.

Why is so hard to mix these two elements beats me.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

I'm sorry to disagree, but I don't think comparing any Bioware game to WoW is fair in the least...especially not now before the release of SWTOR. Bioware simply does not make crap games. Think what you like about WoW, but there hasn't been a "bad" Bioware game in years - they are the masters of RPG.

Adding the MMO part to that RPG success of theirs was an obvious advancement and one I have little doubt will be done right.

I'd rather people have a low expectation like you do, but I also think anyone doubting Bioware will be shocked by the depth they add to their games. Biowares writing staff is second to none - and having 5+ years to create SWTOR is amazing!!! After that big of an investment of time and money, they want to be sure to keep you around longer than a few months mate.

• SelenicaSelenica Member Posts: 183

Originally posted by TUX426

I'm sorry to disagree, but I don't think comparing any Bioware game to WoW is fair in the least...especially not now before the release of SWTOR. Bioware simply does not make crap games. Think what you like about WoW, but there hasn't been a "bad" Bioware game in years - they are the masters of RPG.

Adding the MMO part to that RPG success of theirs was an obvious advancement and one I have little doubt will be done right.

I'd rather people have a low expectation like you do, but I also think anyone doubting Bioware will be shocked by the depth they add to their games. Biowares writing staff is second to none - and having 5+ years to create SWTOR is amazing!!! After that big of an investment of time and money, they want to be sure to keep you around longer than a few months mate.

I definitely don't doubt Bioware's ability to create stories. Baldur's Gate, KOTOR, Jade Empire, etc; are some of my favorite singleplayer games. My worry is that EA & Lucas Arts will continue to behave with typical business tactics. ex. They see something that is successful (World of Warcraft) and they copy it, with only minor tweaks to make it their own. 

What we've seen and heard about SWTOR sounds remarkably similar to WoW.  Class-based leveling system, two factions, linear quests, typical MMO combat system, endgame raiding, and particularly the visual style is very colorful and paint-like. It looks almost exactly like WoW. image The only thing we've heard so far that isn't exactly the same as WoW is the voice-dialogue system. It makes me sad because I would have otherwise been really hyped up to try SWTOR.. But instead I have no interest in it. I'll just stick to their singleplayer games.

It's hard to find a recent MMO made by a major company that hasn't tried to emulate WoW in order to become a success. 

• TelothynusTelothynus Member UncommonPosts: 19

Originally posted by grneyedvixen

I see lots of people, like myself compair games to SWG. Granted, it was my first MMO ever, made some great life long friends, but then in a blink of an eye, it was gone. All of it. Maybe it was the whole WOW era, or maybe my generation grew up?

I didn't mind you had one character per account, I was such a freak about the game, I had three active accounts to have three charaters on one server, and used my brothers account for one as well. I had my PVP girl, whom was a Riffelman/Doc, I had my Dancer/ID to give my guildies private buffs for PVP battles. I had my Tailor/Crafter on whom I played when I needed a break from PVP and wanted to make cash. I then had my TK/Fencer for my Jedi Hunter.

I liked the fact that, you could know almost all people on your server. At some point you either traded a valuable Item, or created something specifically for them. You may have even killed them in PVP when guilds would declair war on one another and then no matter where you were, you could be attacked at any moment. Or you may have been dancing, to buff them up.

I remember many times, just going out to farm Night Sisters with a few of my friends, to get the OH SO RARE Nightsister Bracer (Which I owned 2, because I am a girl and guys like to give gifts to girl gamers teehee) I remember running off on Naboo to find some AMAZING Place to put my house, to to have an awesome view of a waterfall. I also remember attending "In Game" weddings, was rare but some people really took the RPG serious and loved it.

I liked the fact that I could go to the Cantina and mingle and chat. This game wasn't about who could get to END GAME first, because there was no end game. You had so many combinations that you could be with skills. The options were endless. I had many friends who didn't combat at all, they just ran a store, designed clothes and outfits to wear around when you weren't pvping.

So, if there are any of you who are old SWGers, didn't mind the semi crappy graphics, but loved the game as it was, before the "WOW" craze happened, I would like to know.

I do however blaim the fail of the game on SOE. They took a perfectly good game, tried to make it theme park and ruined it. I think if they did a HUGE Rollback on that game, with a bit of fine tuning, maybe even a different type of server, they would get most if not more then the old subscribers they had before.

I just really want my SWG back :(

My answer was yes, in a heartbeat.  In fact, I played both WoW and SWG at the same time after WoW's release. 

Why?

Simple. 

Pre-CU and CU SWG offered me a sci-fi video game 'fix' that WoW would never be able to provide.

Old School SWG - "I paid you 1,000,000 credits not for you to slice my Krayt weapon for me... I paid you 1,000,000 credits to give it BACK to me."

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

I played both swg and wow, for me they made playing each other better.  Instead of geting to much of one good thing, you could switch between the two.  I remember how Id play wow, and then Id log into swg feeling like i hadent played it for a long time. 

I made a thread a while ago, wanting a SWG2, it got alot of replys.  No I wouldnt want to play swg anything again, but swg2 I would like to see that.  There are private servers that can be played that have pre-cu in them. 

• little_fazlittle_faz Member UncommonPosts: 80

Yes, I would.

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

I would play a bug free Pre-CU SWG gladly.  Many people on here are looking through rose colored glasses and forget the horrid amounts of lag, dissapearing enemies and teammates, and innaccurate weapon damage numbers from the past. 

But when SWG was running good, it was the best game ever made hands down.  It really felt like an adventure to go exploring through the forrest and finding a weird creature or enemy inside an ancient temple.  I have never played with a better community since either. 

The "eternal september" is killing MMO's. 

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
    "The worst part of censorship is ------------------"