Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unofficial Welcome from LOTRO subscriber

Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697

For those of you about to join us in Middle-Earth, welcome.    

Make sure you download the client as early as possible to avoid the expected onslaught on release day.  This is a huge download (10 gig+) so don't think you're going to download and start to play in one session.  This game has proven to be extremely stable on new release days.  Having said that, they are opening brand new f2p servers (we voted on the names) or allowing you f2pers to join an established server.  Whichever you choose, expect long queues to get in.  So don't flip out.

You will most likely find the existing community to be more mature than you may be used to.   That also means it is the most helpful.  That also means we tend to be less tolerant of "this sucks" or using z to end verbs type of chat.    People tend to be quick on the old "ignore" button.

For translation purposes we call them fellowships rather than groups or parties.  Standard form for looking for a group is "lff ."   Also, we call them kinships, rather than guilds or supergroups.

If you like the lore, or just like fantasy MMOs, I think those of you who haven't played yet, are in for a treat.

I invite other subscribers to add to this welcome as you will.   Please do not spam this thread with arguments over the merits of LOTRO going f2p.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

Comments

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

OP your post is refreshing, as  lifer myself I've seen nothing but negative posts coming from the established LOTRO community regarding F2P and the incoming players. About time someone looked at things positively.

• GidSlackGidSlack Member Posts: 173

I have a character on Brandywine from my days as a subscriber.  LotRO is no longer my main game, but my guild is interesting in playing it as our 2nd game.

We will all be playing it as f2p, so is it worthwhile that they roll on Brandywine, or will we be stuck in the login queue most of the time?

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697

I expect the log in queues for f2pers to be mind-numbing for at least a few weeks, regardless of your server.  I suppose it depends on how many new servers they open up before launch.  

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

from Landroval with love!

• GidSlackGidSlack Member Posts: 173

Originally posted by Skooma2

I expect the log in queues for f2pers to be mind-numbing for at least a few weeks, regardless of your server.  I suppose it depends on how many new servers they open up before launch.  

Thanks for the info.  For once in MMO playing existence, I'm happy to be a West Coast  night owl :P.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

I have the client still installed from back in June. Do I need to re-install or will it still work?

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697

If you have a client for the beta server, Bullroarer, you're going to have to download the live client.  Otherwise, from what I understand, the old client will just be patched on release day like everyone else's.

• seabass2003seabass2003 Member Posts: 4,144

Yes, I say welcome to everyone. People returning, people brand new, current players, I can't wait to see you all in game.

In America I have bad teeth. If I lived in England my teeth would be perfect.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Founder,  lifetimer and very excited for September 10th :)

Welcome to Middle earth and enjoy your stay!

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• mbygonsmbygons Member Posts: 38

Very good advice from the Op, it is going to be interesting to see how ftp changes the game. Regardless welcome from a lifer from Snowbourn!