Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jesse Heinig joins Cryptic for STO

Zap-RoboZap-Robo Member UncommonPosts: 233

Official Devpost:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=2953963#post2953963

Jesse's Previous Form:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Jesse_Heinig

http://www.pen-paper.net/rpgdb.php?op=showcreator&creatorid=862

Looks like Cryptic have taken on some fresh skill game developer talent with Star Trek experience under his belt! Hopefully, this will result in some new and interesting changes/mechanics.

--
Admin @ http://wildstar-central.com/
ZapRobo (PlanetSide 2) | Zap-Robo (The Secret World)
@Master Zaprobo (City of Heroes) | Zaphod@Zap-Robo (Star Trek Online)

Comments

• HagonbokHagonbok Member Posts: 365

heh, Cryptic is so fail. They turned a deaf ear in beta to the people that were trying to advise them on how to not release a crap mmog . Then they started banning most of those same people for staying vocal after the game was released. Now just about all they have left in their community are sycophants and people that don't have a clue "advising them", and it looks like they're going to try and "fix the game" by going in entirely the wrong direction. lolol

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

**** Bitter much?

Let's party like it is 1863!

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by Zap-Robo

Looks like Cryptic have taken on some fresh skill game developer talent with Star Trek experience under his belt! Hopefully, this will result in some new and interesting changes/mechanics.

The question is, will the engine be able to handle his ideas? Having worked on the Star Trek RPG, I have no doubt that he has a firmer grasp on the core essence of Star Trek than most of Cryptic's employees do (especially the leadership); however can the reskinned CO engine actually do what he will want it to do, without a major overhauls (which is highly unlikely to happen)? So far every time Cryptic has looked at implementing the features they talked about adding after launch, the answer to that question has been (according to them) no. I don't envy the guy in the least; the before him is nigh insurmountable.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

I doubt bringing this one guy on board will change an entire company's philosophy or output.  I believe things will just keep heading the same way.

Steam: Neph

• HagonbokHagonbok Member Posts: 365

STO's issue was never that it wasn't Star Trek enough. There's not enough ST fans of the sort that would care that also play mmogs, or would come to play mmogs, to make anything more than a tiny difference in it's sub numbers. I'm a 35+ year avid ST fan, love the franchise in all it's incarnations on screens both large and small, and I acknowledge that without any doubt in my mind.

It's the same as it was all through development. They needed to provide fun and relatively bug free game play for mmog gamers, and enough of it. They've continually dropped the ball on doing that and the game failed to hold mostpeople that gave it a try by a huge margin, and looking at their plans for the future they will keep dropping that ball.

The PTB at Cryptic are completely out of touch with the genre. They were already completely out of touch with it when they were still involved with City of. At one brief moment in the past when they first announced their involvement with STO it seemed like they had gotten in touch, but over the next few months it bacame clear they'd not learned anything about modern mmog players and what they wanted.

• Sluagh_LordSluagh_Lord Member Posts: 58

It looks like Emmert's standard type of hire, a guy with little or no recent experience working with PC games and a laundry list of Pen-and Paper RPG stuff he's worked on. It's like when he made Zeb Cook the Lead Developer on City of Villains. These people are, more or less, creative, but they don't have the background to make a good MMO, just like Emmert himself.

• TheNinjaboyTheNinjaboy Member Posts: 243

Originally posted by Sluagh_Lord

It looks like Emmert's standard type of hire, a guy with little or no recent experience working with PC games and a laundry list of Pen-and Paper RPG stuff he's worked on. It's like when he made Zeb Cook the Lead Developer on City of Villains. These people are, more or less, creative, but they don't have the background to make a good MMO, just like Emmert himself.

Little or no recent experience?

He did the GOOD fallout series which wasn't TOO long ago albiet not last year. lol

STO needs exactly what this guy can deliver.

• Sluagh_LordSluagh_Lord Member Posts: 58

Originally posted by TheNinjaboy

He did the GOOD fallout series which wasn't TOO long ago albiet not last year. lol

How much has gaming changed in the last 12 years? Cryptic already had bags of creative-type people. What they lack is the people who can convert those "great ideas" into the nuts and bolts that make things work. Jack has a knack for bringing in people just like himself, big on concept and story, but short on implementation.

• farginwarfarginwar Member Posts: 134

Originally posted by TheNinjaboy

Sadly it needed what this guy can deliver about two years ago. This seems a little bit like having the saftey inspectors in AFTER the Titanic has sank into the deep blue sea.

If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, riddle 'em with bullets

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

The guy just started. Give him a chance before you start throwing doubts at him. Judge him later by what he does for STO. Some of are you are so bitter because a video game didn't do what you wanted you jump on a person that just got hired.

One of those links posted said he was responsible for scripting and designing the companions in Fallout. I would like to think he'll do great things maybe in the ground combat in STO compared to what it is now since it is getting looked at.

Sometimes you need old school.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381

Originally posted by Sevenwind

The guy just started. Give him a chance before you start throwing doubts at him. Judge him later by what he does for STO. Some of are you are so bitter because a video game didn't do what you wanted you jump on a person that just got hired.

One of those links posted said he was responsible for scripting and designing the companions in Fallout. I would like to think he'll do great things maybe in the ground combat in STO compared to what it is now since it is getting looked at.

Sometimes you need old school.

Just exactly what has changed with Cryptic and their product? More of the same "It will be better in X months"?

How much good faith are we supposed to give Cryptic? How much more money should we spend with them?

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Originally posted by Hagonbok

STO's issue was never that it wasn't Star Trek enough. There's not enough ST fans of the sort that would care that also play mmogs, or would come to play mmogs, to make anything more than a tiny difference in it's sub numbers. I'm a 35+ year avid ST fan, love the franchise in all it's incarnations on screens both large and small, and I acknowledge that without any doubt in my mind.

It's the same as it was all through development. They needed to provide fun and relatively bug free game play for mmog gamers, and enough of it. They've continually dropped the ball on doing that and the game failed to hold mostpeople that gave it a try by a huge margin, and looking at their plans for the future they will keep dropping that ball.

The PTB at Cryptic are completely out of touch with the genre. They were already completely out of touch with it when they were still involved with City of. At one brief moment in the past when they first announced their involvement with STO it seemed like they had gotten in touch, but over the next few months it bacame clear they'd not learned anything about modern mmog players and what they wanted.

As a Star Trek fan I think one of the many major problems with the game is that it isn't Star Trek enough. Just the whole philosophy Cryptic holds and how they do things seems that they have actively tried to reduce or downplay the "Star Trekness" of the game in favour of genericism and their own inventions.

But that's only part of the problem.

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

Originally posted by Dinendae

The question is, will the engine be able to handle his ideas? Having worked on the Star Trek RPG, I have no doubt that he has a firmer grasp on the core essence of Star Trek than most of Cryptic's employees do (especially the leadership); however can the reskinned CO engine actually do what he will want it to do, without a major overhauls (which is highly unlikely to happen)? So far every time Cryptic has looked at implementing the features they talked about adding after launch, the answer to that question has been (according to them) no. I don't envy the guy in the least; the before him is nigh insurmountable.

considering all the stuff added to COH after the cryptic management team left, i bet the engine is capable of an awful lot that the current regime is either unable or unwilling to do.

the biggest handicap that sto has imo is the management team, when a managers response is "cant be done", that person is inflexible and not even willing to attempt to look into if something is possible or not. creative people look at a something like a new idea or way of doing things as a challenge or puzzle, cryptic management obviously sees new ideas as obsticles and just gives up. THATS JUST PLAIN LAZINESS!

i disagree dinedae, i think "it cant be done" is just cryptic managements standard response for anything they think will cost money and isnt guaranteed to pay off (but thats what happens when u let accountants run the show). 

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

Originally posted by saxifr

Just exactly what has changed with Cryptic and their product? More of the same "It will be better in X months"?

How much good faith are we supposed to give Cryptic? How much more money should we spend with them?

Cryptic could find the cure for cancer and some of you on these forums would find a way to bash them. And it may very well be better in x months. It was that way for my experience with AoC. I was there from the start, lasted a month. Waited six months later and it was a new experience for me. I'm still subbed to this day.

You can put as much faith as you want in Cryptic and it's your money do what you want with it or wait till they have a f2p weekend to see if you like the changes.

Just saying the guy is new and he's already getting heat and really hasn't had a chance to do anything.

Cryptic could find the cure for cancer and some of you on these forums would find a way to bash them. And it may very well be better in x months. It was that way for my experience with AoC. I was there from the start, lasted a month. Waited six months later and it was a new experience for me. I'm still subbed to this day.

You can put as much faith as you want in Cryptic and it's your money do what you want with it or wait till they have a f2p weekend to see if you like the changes.

Just saying the guy is new and he's already getting heat and really hasn't had a chance to do anything.

cryptic first off would not announce they have "found the cure for cancer"... rather they would announce that it is being worked on and will be ready soon, for those that buy a lifetime sub now. then theres the issue that when they did realease it, it would only cure 40% of people, and is fatal when taken by 4 out of 10.

your right the guy doesnt deserve criticism, cryptic however does.

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

Originally posted by Xondar123

Originally posted by Hagonbok

As a Star Trek fan I think one of the many major problems with the game is that it isn't Star Trek enough. Just the whole philosophy Cryptic holds and how they do things seems that they have actively tried to reduce or downplay the "Star Trekness" of the game in favour of genericism and their own inventions.

But that's only part of the problem.

Just curious what your vision of ST is ? If it boils down to be ing a Sim , I'll state now that's a recipe for failure. If you tell me exploration and first contact , etc... then you'd prefer a single player , something along the lines of X-3 perhaps but not as twitchy .  If you say taking games that were successful and basically making a kit-bash then you may have something . So , I'm curious to see your vision of what a ST game should be ? It's not to critisize , but to illustrate that everyones image of what ST games are different , some are realistic some aren't .

I can say from my stand point combat for ST is a fail . They had examples of space combat they could have borrowed heavily from the SFC 1, 2 & 3 , mix in 3-d  ( real ) movement and been very successful. Ground combat could have followed elite force or any number of non-sci-fi game combat systems. Heck even the original Ghost Recon was more entertaining and better.  As for crafting and diplomacy again it was a matter of research that Cryptic could have done and applied . That's niether here nor there , this is what we were given and this is why most are upset. It's a half assed single faction effort that doesn't warrant my expenditure.

Originally posted by raistalin69

i disagree dinedae, i think "it cant be done" is just cryptic managements standard response for anything they think will cost money and isnt guaranteed to pay off (but thats what happens when u let accountants run the show). 

I'm not so sure of that; if they were running the full CO engine, then yes I think they could do more, but every indication so far is that STO is running on a gimped version of that CO engine. Depending on how much they have dumbed that engine down, I'm not too sure of how much they can make STO better now.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381

Who is giving the new guy any heat?

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

I'm not so sure of that; if they were running the full CO engine, then yes I think they could do more, but every indication so far is that STO is running on a gimped version of that CO engine. Depending on how much they have dumbed that engine down, I'm not too sure of how much they can make STO better now.

they managed to "improve" the server in about 2 weeks after launch when there were more people on than it could handle.... why... because they saw dollar signs from repeat customers.

yet they didnt start to talk about fixing any of the glaring problems (crafting,exploration) until several months in when it was obvious people were leaving in massive hordes as there subs came up.

cryptic might be saying "cant be done".... reality is almost certainly "too much work for not enough money back"

prime example:

Rubberbanding: still bugged somewhat.

- One was really bad got thrown to the other side of the station, happened last night (08-16-2010) 8ish pm EST.

Unfortunately, there's not much that we can do about internet latency. We have seen no issues on our end for sometime, however, there are a myriad of things between you, and us, which we do not control which can cause lag and rubber banding.

red text is a player.. green is stormshade community rep. everyone who was there at launch knows there was HORRIBLE lag and rubberbanding.. which was greatly sorted out until season 2 brought it back. we all know it was on the server side as pretty much everyone was suffering from it. but hey according to stormshade its due to the internet.

cant be fixed? or we dont want to put the time into doing the work/its not our fault?

you know that cryptic lies about a lot of stuff dinedae, i dont why you would give them the benefit of the doubt here, especially when they used the same lie when running COH.

Hagon was the only one with a post that read that way (his first one), but (as usual) since we're not heaping praises upon Cryptic we're all being lumped into that category; this is despite the fact that some (including myself) have stated they don't have any issues with the guy joining the STO team. Frankly I think he will be a positive, since Cryptic has shown they don't have a firm grasp on the core basics of what Star Trek is.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I hope he took some diving lessons....Because he is getting aboard a sinking ship! *opens can of laughter*

Yeah, I know..lame joke :)

But on a serious note, why is it so important that one specific person joins as developer? Doesnt seem to be fair to expect that much from one person.

they managed to "improve" the server in about 2 weeks after launch when there were more people on than it could handle.... why... because they saw dollar signs from repeat customers.

yet they didnt start to talk about fixing any of the glaring problems (crafting,exploration) until several months in when it was obvious people were leaving in massive hordes as there subs came up.

cryptic might be saying "cant be done".... reality is almost certainly "too much work for not enough money back"

prime example:

Rubberbanding: still bugged somewhat.

- One was really bad got thrown to the other side of the station, happened last night (08-16-2010) 8ish pm EST.

Unfortunately, there's not much that we can do about internet latency. We have seen no issues on our end for sometime, however, there are a myriad of things between you, and us, which we do not control which can cause lag and rubber banding.

red text is a player.. green is stormshade community rep. everyone who was there at launch knows there was HORRIBLE lag and rubberbanding.. which was greatly sorted out until season 2 brought it back. we all know it was on the server side as pretty much everyone was suffering from it. but hey according to stormshade its due to the internet.

cant be fixed? or we dont want to put the time into doing the work/its not our fault?

you know that cryptic lies about a lot of stuff dinedae, i dont why you would give them the benefit of the doubt here, especially when they used the same lie when running COH. 

Because I am not giving them the benefit of the doubt where the engine is concerned; quite the contrary, they took an engine with a fairly good 3D movement system (CO's) and made it horrible. As for rubber-banding? Having a Bach. degree in computer networking, I know that they could very well be telling the truth on this issue at the present time; there are so many points of failure between your computer (including your computer) and their servers that it is entirely possible that they are telling the truth.

Even if many players are experiencing this, from diverse geographical areas, it still could be outside of Cryptic (perhaps their ISP). If the problems persist for more than a week or two, then the problem is most likely on their end (unless of course their ISP is working on the backbone or server farm itself, doing upgrades or such, in which case it could take longer).

As I have said in the past, I do try to be fair in my criticisms.

Originally posted by someforumguy

But on a serious note, why is it so important that one specific person joins as developer? Doesnt seem to be fair to expect that much from one person.

No, it isn't fair to him at all. I think in the case of the STO players, going by how many of them made the 45 day patch, Season 1 update, and Season 2 update out to be more than what was actually advertised, it is a case of them pinning too much hope on this one guy to turn things completely around. Personally I think that if he can just get them away from the Pew! Pew! feel of most of STO's missions then he has earned his paycheck.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

This is where his problem is going to be and where the problem with Cryptic will remain.  From my understanding the sales pitch they have used is that they can make the games they create in half the time for half the price of others and I think the reason is simply because the engine they use is junk.  I'm not a very computer savy person but I can be intuitive and I just get the feeling the reason so many other things happen in other games that don't happen in Cryptics is because of the drawbacks of the equipment they use how else can they make games for half the price if not throwing out half of the stuff we enjoy in other games and whine about not being in the games they make.  Last I heard they were having trouble with allowing people to sit in the captains chair.  I could be wrong since I just read it but I'm inclined to believe it since I can't remember sitting in any Cryptic game.  No it's not a huge function but it's an example which there are others like it that all add up.

The only way I can see them in a half way decent light is if they truly believe there is an untapped market of mmo players out there because we spend hours in our games and as such we don't always want to walk around like a robot blasting things to bits and this is a concept that Cryptic by use of the engine they have refuses to acknowledge.

While in the welcome back weekend I saw an added mini game when gathering resources which for Cryptic was actually quite promising so maybe for current STO players theres hope that somehow some way they can make this shell of a game worth the good money Cryptic got for it.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

Hagon was the only one with a post that read that way (his first one), but (as usual) since we're not heaping praises upon Cryptic we're all being lumped into that category; this is despite the fact that some (including myself) have stated they don't have any issues with the guy joining the STO team. Frankly I think he will be a positive, since Cryptic has shown they don't have a firm grasp on the core basics of what Star Trek is.

There was quite a few posts. Not giving him direct heat but seems to be saying no matter what Cryptic does it's going to stink. On and on and on...I wouldn't expect to hear praise from these forums, look at any game here it's filled with people who love to rant against x game and x company. I don't really care one way or another what Cryptic does. I play both games and the moment the game stops being fun I unsub and move on to the next game. In the STO forums here it's the same bunch of people everyday that love to talk about what Crytpic is doing wrong today. Post history speaks for itself, so in my opinion yeah it will put you in a category.

If you want to be critical of a game or company then go for it. I'm not suggesting stop. Do what you want, post what you want within the rules here. I don't care. I'm just here to have fun playing games.