Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Neverwinter Nights MMO?

124»

Comments

• AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476

i for one have played all the forgotten realms titles all the nwn games and i have to say that they are the best rpg's of all time for me, far far better than the kotor series by a long shot.  you could say icewind dale was the birth place of campnion based game produced by black isle. and i wouldnt be surprised if thats where bioware got its inspiration from for nwn.  the mod builder and community for nwn was second to none, players literally built their own games useing the exact same tool set used by the game developer and the amount of player content was imense.

online play in nwn was my most memorable gameing experience to date in an online copacity,. and it was 100% community creativity.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Originally posted by anjealous82

I look at this post and what do I see. Some of the most negative comment in history. It seems to me though that all of your standards are all too damn high.

Just to get this straight, Cryptic has already stated they plan to use a single game engine and develope three MMO's around it.  The first two MMO's had less than 80k of subcscribers after 4 months of launch and one fo them had one fo the top 5 greatest IP's (Star Trek).  Based on Cryptics past performance you think the players standards are too high?

Please stop by MMOdata.com and take a good look at sub numbers for the MMO's out there and compare Cryptics numbers to them.  Cryptics numbers are lower because they make a game designed around milking customers for money and not about players having fun and it shows in the sub numbers.  Seriously, $50 for STO, $15 a month for a sub and then another $3 to play a Klingon Fed?  Thats just plain greed and people get tired of it.  The players standards have not gone up, Cryptics standards have gone down.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by lordessedess

NC Soft

I'm thinking Cryptic has bumped NCSoft from that spot, with their last two MMOs.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• anjealous82anjealous82 Member UncommonPosts: 123

Originally posted by Talonsin

I look at this post and what do I see. Some of the most negative comment in history. It seems to me though that all of your standards are all too damn high.

Just to get this straight, Cryptic has already stated they plan to use a single game engine and develope three MMO's around it.  The first two MMO's had less than 80k of subcscribers after 4 months of launch and one fo them had one fo the top 5 greatest IP's (Star Trek).  Based on Cryptics past performance you think the players standards are too high?

Please stop by MMOdata.com and take a good look at sub numbers for the MMO's out there and compare Cryptics numbers to them.  Cryptics numbers are lower because they make a game designed around milking customers for money and not about players having fun and it shows in the sub numbers.  Seriously, $50 for STO, $15 a month for a sub and then another $3 to play a Klingon Fed?  Thats just plain greed and people get tired of it.  The players standards have not gone up, Cryptics standards have gone down.

Okay so World of Warcraft holds the top spot.Not really a damn surprise their. Startrek went up to about 106k and dropped to under 70k.That probaly cause of people burning thruough vontent quick as hell. When I started to play STO a month after release, I ran across maybe 30-40 people already at 40. People play mmos to hard and then complain there wasnt enough content. WoW was fun for the time that I played it. That was about 1 years, but I played it for 2-3.Some of the content was interesting, but more that half of it was subpar. STO was fun the whole time I played it. I still thinks its the  people who play it. Not some much their standards anymore. Just the way they play the game.

• BeltenebrosBeltenebros Member Posts: 12

BRING IT ON BABY!!!! I HAVE BEEN WAITING AGES FOR THIS!!!!

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Startrek went up to about 106k and dropped to under 70k.That probaly cause of people burning thruough vontent quick as hell. When I started to play STO a month after release, I ran across maybe 30-40 people already at 40. People play mmos to hard and then complain there wasnt enough content.

In the case of STO, there wasn't enough content for any group: The game launched with 80 hours of content according to Cryptic; that's the amount of content you get in a single player game, not a typical MMO. The hardcore players reached cap in less than a week, with several doing so during the three day head start. The avergare MMO player, playing a 4 - 6 hour game session, reached RA5 in a werek or two (depending upon how many sessions they could get in a week). Casual players hit the cap in 2 - 3 weeks, with those who started late and the ultra-casual players taking longer.

There was no rushing past content, or somehow magically 'burning' through it; the simple fact is that even now, after the 45 day patch and two Season updates, STO is still extremely content light. There's barely enough content for a single playthrough on the Federation side, and so little content on the Klingon side that it can all be played through in less than a day. People started complaining in the official STO forums about hitting the level cap, so Cryptic tried to spin things by labelling anyone who had reached RA5 before the first free 30 days were up as a hardcore player.

Since Cryptic seems to have based its new design philosophy around mass-producing shallow, content light games, there is no reason to expect that any Forgotten Realms based MMO made by them would be any different. Whatever MMO they make next will have a bare minimum of content, will more than likely stick to that ridiculous 18 - 24 month development cycle they were originally touting, and will have a good percentage of it's post launch 'content' end up as items in the C-Store.  I would dearly love to play a Forgotten Realms based MMO, if you aren't just stuck in one city as in DDO, but I will not touch one made by Cryptic until such time as their entire executive team is replaced and they show that they can produce a quality product; both of those conditions are unlikely to happen.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• anjealous82anjealous82 Member UncommonPosts: 123

Originally posted by Dinendae

Startrek went up to about 106k and dropped to under 70k.That probaly cause of people burning thruough vontent quick as hell. When I started to play STO a month after release, I ran across maybe 30-40 people already at 40. People play mmos to hard and then complain there wasnt enough content.

In the case of STO, there wasn't enough content for any group: The game launched with 80 hours of content according to Cryptic; that's the amount of content you get in a single player game, not a typical MMO. The hardcore players reached cap in less than a week, with several doing so during the three day head start. The avergare MMO player, playing a 4 - 6 hour game session, reached RA5 in a werek or two (depending upon how many sessions they could get in a week). Casual players hit the cap in 2 - 3 weeks, with those who started late and the ultra-casual players taking longer.

There was no rushing past content, or somehow magically 'burning' through it; the simple fact is that even now, after the 45 day patch and two Season updates, STO is still extremely content light. There's barely enough content for a single playthrough on the Federation side, and so little content on the Klingon side that it can all be played through in less than a day. People started complaining in the official STO forums about hitting the level cap, so Cryptic tried to spin things by labelling anyone who had reached RA5 before the first free 30 days were up as a hardcore player.

Since Cryptic seems to have based its new design philosophy around mass-producing shallow, content light games, there is no reason to expect that any Forgotten Realms based MMO made by them would be any different. Whatever MMO they make next will have a bare minimum of content, will more than likely stick to that ridiculous 18 - 24 month development cycle they were originally touting, and will have a good percentage of it's post launch 'content' end up as items in the C-Store.  I would dearly love to play a Forgotten Realms based MMO, if you aren't just stuck in one city as in DDO, but I will not touch one made by Cryptic until such time as their entire executive team is replaced and they show that they can produce a quality product; both of those conditions are unlikely to happen.

That sounds horrible man. I glad Im not an hardcore game fanatic. Im glad it took me 30 days just to make it to 20. I think though pnce they get this last mmo theyll work  on adding content to all the mmos they have created.  BUt in all honesty. Not everything needs to be an mmo. Everything they put ou nowdays feel watered down.

• XeridianXeridian Member Posts: 22

The problem was/is that Atari (and the old CEO) wanted to control to much, therefore Obsidian was forced in ways they weren't comfortable with. Atari should have kept their mouth shut and let Bioware do what they wanted to, then Dragon Age would have been NWN2 and the NWN MMO would be still in their Possesion.

I will give this a chance however considering Atari has a new CEO, but if you want the true NWN, just play Dragon Age 1 & 2. As far as MMOs are concerned, not even Bioware and SWTOR or Blizzard and WOW will beable to fight off the might that is Arenanet & Guild Wars 2. I will likely be way to busy to even give this one a chance...  Good Luck!