Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Display problems

G_RavenorG_Ravenor Member Posts: 108

Right I will try and stay calm even though I have spent all morning trying to fix this stupid thing...

It all started with what seemed to be a harmless windows update, when this was completed I restarted the computer as instructed, however when I logged back on, the screen resolution was at something silly like 800x600, no problem I thought I will change it back...

Upon opening up the display panel, I was rather confused as it would not let me select a higher resolution!, even when trying to force it through the graphics card software, but alas somehow or another it finally opened up and let me select a number of resolutions, problem solved I thought.... wrong..

When I try to run any game, the whole image shifts to the right, almost as if its trying to display across two screens, but I have only one screen and have NEVER tried / attempted/ had more than the one screen..

Is there anyway to fix this, because it is really beginning to bug me..

Also its worth noting that one game EVE online, I just get a TV/ Monitor based error 'mode not supported.

I am running on a 46 inch LED TV Samsung

Grpahics card is ATI Radeon HD 4850 Series

edit: under dxdiag, I have noticed that the graphics card is listed TWICE,but in device manager it is listed only once

shhh... you might wake the trolls

Comments

• pye088jpye088j Member Posts: 228

Maybe the windows update contained new graphic card drivers aswell. If so it might be possible that that version of the driver doesn´r really like your Graphics card. Remove the card in device manager, remove drivers and download the second to last driver from ATI and reinstall the card (after a reboot) This should clear things up.

All statements I make is from my point of view unless stated otherwise.

• G_RavenorG_Ravenor Member Posts: 108

Originally posted by pye088j

Maybe the windows update contained new graphic card drivers aswell. If so it might be possible that that version of the driver doesn´r really like your Graphics card. Remove the card in device manager, remove drivers and download the second to last driver from ATI and reinstall the card (after a reboot) This should clear things up.

Surely this is stupid? I have no alternative graphics display, so if I remove the card from device manager, I will lose ALL display and would not be able to complete the futher steps you talk about?!

Also if the drivers have been chagned I should just be able to roll back to previous driver.... but that option is not available for some reason

shhh... you might wake the trolls

• pye088jpye088j Member Posts: 228

Don´t know how ATI card works but on Nvidia, removing the card just disables the options for the card and the resolution goes to 800x600.

Edit: Rollbacks might work but reinstalling wil work if the setup worked before that is.

All statements I make is from my point of view unless stated otherwise.

• AtakAtak Member Posts: 82

reinstall drivers

• GonesoloGonesolo City of Heroes CorrespondentMember Posts: 70

Most likely, as previously mentioned, the Windows update had either an updated graphics driver or an updated driver for your monitor. Either way the fix is easy.

Download the latest Catalyst drivers for your card and OS

http://www.amd.com/uk/Pages/AMDHomePage.aspx

(Now it's been a bit since I installed Catalyst drivers so someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

Run the install package you just downloaded one of the options should be to remove existing Catalyst drivers - select this.

(this will not disable your video card but your resoution will suck for a bit)

Once done you will be prompted to reboot, don't just yet. Go to device manager and confirm which model your monitor is being seen as. If it looks right leave it, if not remove it (again this wont disable your screen)

Now reboot.

Once you reboot reinstall your Catalyst drivers by re-running the setup program you download and selecting install drivers.

Reboot.

Once you've rebooted again you should be ok but you may just want to make sure your monitor is redetected correctly.

• Southpaw.GamerSouthpaw.Gamer Member CommonPosts: 572

on a side note to his problem I have a 1998 65 inch Hitachi Ultravision 720p HDTV that I use as my monitor.  Months ago the drivers use to fit my screen to the standard resolutions by forcing the resolutions to fit properly, this allowed me to use any resolution I wanted that was showing on my resolution panel.  For the past few months and driver updates that is no longer the case and Resizing my screen via the control panel Nvidia provides now literally starts the resolution at higher than what my screen sees and forces me to shrink the resolution to an awkward 1708 x 990 to fit my screen properly on the 1080i setting.  On 720p I am forced to shrink my resolution to 1154x664 so that my entire desktop fits the screen.  I've tried reinstalling the drivers and I've come to the conclusion Nvidia just fucked me over in that regard to how it use to work.

If any of that make sense to anyone I'd love some help, I'd really like to be able to use standard resolutions again and I know it's possible since it use to work that way where changing my screen size literally meant changing my screen size and not changing the resolution to fit my screen.

Full Sail University - Game Design

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Uninstall your video card drivers and reinstall them.  That will almost surely fix the problem.

The reason DxDiag lists your video card twice is that you have two monitors attached to it.