Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can i make money from this game ?

6SlipKnoT66SlipKnoT6 Member CommonPosts: 144

So as the topic says.

Comments

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

Lots and lots of money!!

• 6SlipKnoT66SlipKnoT6 Member CommonPosts: 144

Originally posted by denshing

Lots and lots of money!!

Go troll eslewhere.

• EU_RAZEREU_RAZER Member Posts: 85

in short: Yes you can, but...

... you will need to work REALLY hard or get REALLY lucky. Sure some people make a living in the game, but they probably deposited large amounts of money into the game as well. So most of the time it takes money to make money unless you get lucky and hit a big loot from a small animal or with a small ore finder.

The only sure way to make money is by trading, this way you have influence in the money you make, this however is kinda boring and will need you to have a good knowledge of the game and its items and the market.

Originally posted by EU_RAZER

in short: Yes you can, but...

... you will need to work REALLY hard or get REALLY lucky. Sure some people make a living in the game, but they probably deposited large amounts of money into the game as well. So most of the time it takes money to make money unless you get lucky and hit a big loot from a small animal or with a small ore finder.

The only sure way to make money is by trading, this way you have influence in the money you make, this however is kinda boring and will need you to have a good knowledge of the game and its items and the market.

In other words : manipulating the market. I see, thats in general the best way to make proffit in every game which has some kind of player-driven economy.

Not what I said, there are other ways to make money while trading. Buy stuff people usually sell to the trade terminal and sell those with a little profit to other people. This could make you a few %. You can also find some miners and hunters willing to sell you their loot for less then MU if you buy it fast and without hassle, this can make you a few % as well. Sure this migh not be very fast, but I know of people that make a nice bit of profit this way in game.

• AlphaGeekAlphaGeek Member UncommonPosts: 193

In theory, you can also find money in garbage cans. That doesn't mean that you'll make a living doing it.

This, like other games, is a game. It's designed for entertainment purposes.

Alpha AG Geek
    Founder- Manticore Society

Originally posted by AlphaGeek

This, like other games, is a game. It's designed for entertainment purposes.

indeed, but the "make real money" advertisement MindArk did in the beginning kinda gave some people the wrong impression and people do get disapointed if they don't make a lot of money fast. If you look at it as a game (like I do and I think AlphaGeek does to) it is a pretty nice game with a nice community (well most of them). Then you have the choice of playing for free, which means you will need to work for your money or deposit real money wich means you don't have to work for your money and can doo all the fun stuff all the time. So it is really up to every player.

Not sure about AG, but I deposit about $100 a month and can do a lot of fun stuff with that. I don't mind paying for my entertainment. Sure I don't make money in game, but I don't care I have a real job that pays much better :)

I do not intend to make a fortune from this game :) You see,  my country standart is little bit lower than rest of the european contries and "a lot of money" here is a relevant thing. A little money for you may transalte to "decent amount of money" for me. When i used to play  World of Warcraft i didnt pay a peny. I payed with gold. I had a college in the university who offered me pre-paid card for little bit of gold, which i could farm pretty fast. That means a little bit of farm for 26 euro, which is very nice for me. To give you a little bit insight ill tell you that the average sallary here is ~300 euro.So, yes in general i could "make a living" from this :) The thing is that it wasnt legit and reliant and you could find honest players kinda hard, i didnt care much at all either. I had another friend who used to make decent amount of money from games starting from Everquest, Anarchy trough EVE and WoW. He also gave up on this becasue of the "legit and unreliant" problem. And now the real cash ecnonomy of EU allows to make every game-currency-to-irl-currency transaction legit is interesting and thats why i am asking :) I hope i made myself a little bit clear, because my first post wasnt very informative :)

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

You probably have a better chance at making *something* in Second Life. EU will let you make bits and pieces if you are a savvy trader, but not enough to even let you splurge here and there without dumping a grip into it on virtual real estate and subsidizing it to other players to make back what you put in (even then it would take a long time).

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

Originally posted by 6SlipKnoT6

I do not intend to make a fortune from this game :) .........

Once you have made a bit of money in the game (by sweating probably) you should be able to make more of it with trading, because you will be able to buy and sell larger quantaties or more expansive items. But this will not happen overnight if you are not planning to put some real money into the game. Your PED count will go up very slowely in the beginning, making just 1%  (or less) profit from every trade, but as you PED's go up 1% is getting more with every trade, so you could end up making a nice profit in the end. This could take you a long time, but it will not cost you anything IRL. But if you make a mistake along the way, you could end up with less money and need to start all over again. I know of people who are traders that keep a close eye on the market and have all sorts of spreadsheets and graphs to keep track of the market and they are in the auction all day hunting for that one bargain.

So if the avarage salary is about 300 dollar, you should be able to do that, but it will take a while before you get there, but if you have the motivation and time to do it it should be possible.

If you wanna know more about the game, take a look at www.entropiaplanets.com and ask some questions there, a lot of nice people there that will help you if they can.

• AlphaGeekAlphaGeek Member UncommonPosts: 193

Originally posted by EU_RAZER

...Not sure about AG, but I deposit about $100 a month and can do a lot of fun stuff with that. I don't mind paying for my entertainment. Sure I don't make money in game, but I don't care I have a real job that pays much better :)

I don't mind paying for my entertainment either, so I do.  :)  I also bought all my D&D books back in the day.  ;-)

...and yeah. My real job pays the bills, and I deposit in EU to show my appreciation for the fun I have on Calypso. 

No deposits = no EU, and I like EU.

Alpha AG Geek
    Founder- Manticore Society

• TorschenTorschen Member Posts: 78

There is quite sure way to make money in EU, and that is: you deposit 25.000$ and buy a biodome/land area with its taxation rights :P

If you are not prepared to do that, expect longish learning period, and after that tiny steady profit if you are patient enough to plan your activities, gear, and target mobs (if you're hunting) with utmost care, never resting. (EU_RAZER is right about trading, it can create some steady profit, but I have no personal experience of that as I suck in trading, IRL or not.)

Also you can rely on luck :D There are cases a newb has scored big in mining first week. Then again, you might like to rely on national lottery instead.

Oh, you could also buy yourself straight to the top, buy the most economical weapon in-game, good armor, and skills to use that gun.. then shoot away some years and voila! got your investment back and now you are making profit. But in this case the initial investment would be bigger I think than in the first case I mentioned.

Good luck, and welcome to Entropia Universe ! :p

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

well, while i do believe that making large money in EU is possible, but i think the hardest one to achieve in this game is the dedication itself, and how bad you want it

even if you are prepare to put in some large money to start with, i think it's not a guarantee you will make profit as well

i personally love trading and crafting, infact, i am a pretty hardcore crafter in each and every MMo i have played, but i realize that in EU, maybe things are not going to be the same, there are real money value here on every item in the game, so i think trading here is a tricky one, if you are not sharp enough, those big traders will eat you alive =P

but i too, am looking forward to see if i can make a profit in this game or even loss

although i personally have no any intention to make anything off this game, as i am playing it to have fun ( as RAZER say, there are job that pays better =) )

but, trying your luck is never a bad idea XD

oh also i heard that there are many players acting as a trader for someone else, and they can get a % from the suttfs they sell, i think that isn't a bad approach either

So What Now?

• Madjabs87zMadjabs87z Member Posts: 2

Entropia Universe is a great game in my opinion, and you can make money playing since everything has a real world value to them. Don't expect to strike it rich as this isn't one of those get rich quick schemes out there. I would suggest coming into this game expecting to stay long term, and having a great deal of patience and dedication can help tremendously. You can still trade, and you will make slow profits that will increase the value on your PED card. In the end, it's up to the individual player how this game can be perceived to be. It can be horrible for those that expect to get rich, but only realize they can make slave wages playing thus resulting in flaming and/or anger. Others that start off as non-depositors can enjoy the game with some hard work and patience which will allow them to learn and adapt with the game. Those that can deal with long times between sales of any items and such will not like this game. I welcome all those that have dedication, and plan on making something of themselves in EU. 

*Entropia Universe receives two thumbs up in my books*

• M_RufenPowerM_RufenPower Member Posts: 9

So far I've made a cool $500 profit from my time spent in this game which has been for less than 2 years. I'll probably use it in real life as I'm about to withdraw it soon. Not bad, I know ppl ingame who are now UBER status and have never deposited one $ and are making a living out of the game, the game is their day job, NO JOKES. I know at least 2 ppl who can do this but I'm sure there are lots more examples ingame that I'am not aware off. Is there a slight chance that this is stil possible today? Maybe, if you had some ingame knowledge not available else where, otherwise mostly unlikely. Due to the skill nerf of 05 it takes twice if not trice the amount of skilling to get to the same level as these ppl. So where it could take 2 years to reach level 100 it now takes 4-6 years. There are also other factors to consider as to why I said its not likey nowadays. But anything is possible in EU.