Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can anyone help me with updating my domain DNS?

SabiancymSabiancym Member UncommonPosts: 3,150

I've developed a lot of websites, but I've always hosted my domains with my site host.  I've never had to update DNS.

Now I have to and I can't get it to work.  I thought I had it, but it's been 30 hours and it's still not working.  Here is a screenshot of my settings for my domain  www.pwned.co

The ip I have listed is the ip to my site.  What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

It can take up to weeks for a DNS change to be propogated through out the entire name server system.

Forcing DNS record update

Godaddy's whois info:

http://who.godaddy.com/WhoIsRegData.aspx?k=3EU6jrwS3uwtqTm6ZId+Tw==&domain=pwned.co&prog_id=godaddy

>>>> Whois database was last updated on: Sun Aug 15 06:32:32 GMT 2010 <<<<

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/dns1.htm

"One of the keys to making this work is redundancy. There are multiple name servers at every level, so if one fails, there are others to handle the requests. There are, for example, three different machines running name servers for HOWSTUFFWORKS.COM requests. All three would have to fail for there to be a problem.

The other key is caching. Once a name server resolves a request, it caches all of the IP addresses it receives. Once it has made a request to a root server for any COM domain, it knows the IP address for a name server handling the COM domain, so it doesn't have to bug the root servers again for that information. Name servers can do this for every request, and this caching helps to keep things from bogging down.

Name servers do not cache forever, though. The caching has a component, called the Time To Live (TTL), that controls how long a server will cache a piece of information. When the server receives an IP address, it receives the TTL with it. The name server will cache the IP address for that period of time (ranging from minutes to days) and then discard it. The TTL allows changes in name servers to propagate. Not all name servers respect the TTL they receive, however. When HowStuffWorks moved its machines over to new servers, it took three weeks for the transition to propagate throughout the Web. We put a little tag that said "new server" in the upper left corner of the home page so people could tell whether they were seeing the new or the old server during the transition."

A little info on Time To Live.

More on changing ISP

http://www.digitalpoint.com/lists/19568.html

5) Wait. You'll need to wait at least (TTL + TTL of delegation records) seconds from the time the delegation records are changed, or (TTL) seconds from the time the DNS records are changed, whichever is longer. Currently, your delegation records have a 4 hour TTL, and your own records have a 24 hour TTL; you can turn down your TTL beforehand to minimize this, but then remember to wait for the new TTL to be noticed - a wait of at least (old TTL) seconds.

6) Take down all your old addresses. Move ns1 to its new address. If you're not going to be using red.net's servers anymore, ask them to remove their settings for your domains (both DNS and mail).

>If I happily start editing each domains details in QDNS what can I

>expect to happen and when? How long before the rest of the world is

>up to date? I'm using whatever default value of TTL QDNS shipped

>with. Can I drop this value now to a couple of minutes, without

>changing the IP numbers, allow this to propogate around the world

>and then change the IP numbers and bump the TTL back, hoping things

>will update faster.

Dropping it to a couple of minutes is extreme, as this will cause extra DNS traffic on your lan. 1 hour (3600) isn't out of line, though.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • SabiancymSabiancym Member UncommonPosts: 3,150

AKA you don't know so you just copied and pasted random crap you googled.  None of which is that relevant.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Yup, just trying to be an ass. But I see you've got that covered.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • sephersepher Member Posts: 3,561

If those IP addresses are correct in the A records, just change siteground to @. You don't need the second one unless you have an explicit reason like mail or etc.

@ means loads whatever hostname is configured in the name.conf file that's behind the tool. If you see "pwned.co" above that tool you're using, its more than likely already properly set there by whatever service you're using.

So Host: @, IP Address: Whateveritis

• SabiancymSabiancym Member UncommonPosts: 3,150

Originally posted by sepher

If those IP addresses are correct in the A records, just change siteground to @. You don't need the second one unless you have an explicit reason like mail or etc.

@ means loads whatever hostname is configured in the name.conf file that's behind the tool. If you see "pwned.co" above that tool you're using, its more than likely already properly set there by whatever service you're using.

So Host: @, IP Address: Whateveritis

Thanks