Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions about Aion

RaussRauss Member Posts: 2

Hello, I was looking for a new mmo to play and was trying to get as much info on Aion as possible because it sparked my interest.  I am a huge pvp fanatic so good pvp in a mmo is must for me so that is mainly what I am concerned about.  I have played WoW, Guild Wars, Warhammer, DAoC, Everquest 2, Ragnarok, Final Fantasy 11, Lineage 2, Star wars galaxies and would like to know what it is most comparable to or not and any opinions you have on the game in general.  Thanks in Advance.

Comments

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

All I can tell you is that everyone I know who picked up Aion (and that was quite a few people) got bored within the first month and stopped playing. Certainly none of them reached the endgame before abandoning it.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

I think its the most like Lineage 2 but I didn't play that long enough to know for sure.

• augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628

Just quit and uninstalled after months of waiting for them to work on the faction imbalance.  On every server except Vaizel (which is controlled by the Asmodian zerg), the Elyos vastly outnumber the Asmodians.  So either you play Asmo and get ganked relentlessly, or you can roll Elyos and have no one to fight.

However they did just announce that you will be able to buy pets through the ncsoft store. 

So pvp?  Not so much.

But if you like paying for sub par service and forking out extra to collect pets, then your golden.

Ncsoft Korea is heavily focused on catering to Asian subs.  Western subs were just a little extra cash to pad their pockets.

• MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355

Alot of negativity going on haha, sadly most is true, BUT I can tell you this

I played Aion from the korean closed beta to 2 months after release, than re subscribed for a month than quit again, mostly it was time issues. All of these people complaining are doing it because Aion is a grind, just like most MMOs you sit for hours killing the same enemies over and over and it gets boring.

That being said you have played Final Fantasy XI, possibly the worst grind of any MMO out on the market (the popular ones anyways) so if you could make it through that than Aion is a beautiful game, it has amazing graphics, a great storyline, an amazing in-depth character creator and it is ALOT of fun to PvP in. The flying adds a new element to the fantasy MMO genre.

I dont regret buying it and plan on re-subbing in the near future to wait for DCUO. The game is alot of fun if you can handle the grind, I had a friend that came from FFXI and got lvl 50 within the first month easily, he said compared to FFXI it was an easy grind so you might not have any problems with it, if the lack of quests doesnt bother you than GET this game, it will be ALOT of fun for you. The grind doesnt bother me really so I plan on picking it back up when I get some free time.

Mystery Bounty

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Do yourself the favor and wait a month or two. Wait to see what happens with the next release MMO's.

Aion is not worth the money atm in my opinion. I wouldn't recommend it.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

The game is great for PvP.  The problem though is unless things have changed you cannot realistically level via solely PvP nor do you really get to experience any until you're in the high teens level wise.  Still, it was a blast PvP wise.

However, far as PvE goes it becomes incredibly weak at the higher levels.  You will eventually run out of quests around the mid thirty level range and find yourself either having to do repeatables or simply grinding mobs for xp.  Granted it has been a while since I have played so they may have fixed this.  The PvE side of things simply feels unfinished when you reach the higher levels.

It wasn't as disappointing to me as Warhammer was but all in all it still feels as a game that was released way sooner than it should have been missing a lot of content especially on the PvE side of things.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• RaussRauss Member Posts: 2

Thank you for all the feed back and please keep it coming.  Are there any games you guys suggest out there right now that will offer a good pvp experience?  I have played WoW too long and honestly I am tired of getting key logged, calling blizzard and waiting in a que for 2 hours and them telling me my character was either stripped or deleted.  I am tired of constantly releveing and reoutfitting a toon.  I just want a enjoyable pvp experience.  As far as the grinding goes, in final fantasy 11 I had 3 level 75 jobs and every other job was 50+ and for those of you that have played final fantasy 11, you know how mind numbing that is.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Lord of the Rings maybe?  That's a great game far as PvE goes.  Rather awful PvP wise but for PvE it doesn't get much better than that.

I would try out LotR, Everquest 2, and Eve Online if you haven't yet.  I believe they all have free trials as well to give them a chance.

Dungeons and Dragons Online might be worth checking out as well if you haven't yet to see if you enjoy it at all.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• KouDyKouDy Member UncommonPosts: 50

I played half of the games you mention and for me Aion is something between WoW, Warhammer and Lineage 2.

From L2 you have nice anime-like graphics and style, not usual fantasy world with goblins or whatever.

From Warhammer you have PvP system. In Warhammer you can conquer castles when you want. Here it's scheldued. That's biggest difference.

From WoW you have easiness of use, user friendly environment UI wise.

To all this add PvE too. Even simple lvling sometimes turns into PvPing with mobs. Mobs have classes, they will root you, silence you, they will heal each other if they are appropriate class. You don't have this in other MMOs for regular mobs or at least not on this level.

• Maddrox181Maddrox181 Member UncommonPosts: 133

Aion's pvp is actually a lot better than almost every game you described , If you are as big of a pvp fanatic as you described you would be in heaven playing Aion assuming you don't mind earning your gear. When you kill players in Aion you gain Ap ( Abyss Points ) which is used to buy pvp armor / weapons / skills .. Eventually you will get geared out well enough to be able to kill easily and withstand a load of damage. 

Aion also has Forts that can be attacked and defended in the abyss and soon to be Balaurea ground abyss area's .. Most people Say wait till this and wait till that but personally the longer you wait the longer its going to take you to enjoy the end game pvp and new content coming in 2.0.

As mentioned above the race balance is a bit outta whack atm but ncsoft is trying a few methods to bring that back into line .. If you do plan on buying the game I would recommend doing some research on what race and server you want to play on in advance. some servers have a pvp buff right now which could help you assuming your race has it or make the initial first 30-40 levels a pain if its against you.

• yoyoyoblakayoyoyoblaka Member Posts: 199

imo you've played lineage 2 so the grind won't be bad for you, personally I thought the pvp in this game was terrible. You get pvp points from doing pve. The abyss is terrible because flight pvp is terrible, this is the number one reason I quit this game as the abyss is their only pvp zone. 

Anyways if you play it i'd lvl up as fast as you can and get into the abyss and judge for yourself on the flying pvp, i think it is one of those things where you love it or hate it. I'd go into all the little complaints I have about their flight pvp but why bother. 

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

I felt the PVP was a let down, it was gank this gank that, or get ganked. True fun fights where a dime a doesen, but great and I give it props to how good it was when they did happen.

IMO I'd wait for GW2 to come out or resub DAOC.