Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ryzom is simply the best land based sandbox currently

Comments

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Originally posted by MaDSaM

Naw, sorry Rock, I wasn´t exactly reffering to you. Your post just reminded me of some others I´ve seen over time, with demands to make the game "more like WoW to make it more player friendly.". - With like, Mounts that disappear into the bag and don´t need stables and such.  -.-

Sorry for the small rant.

CU

SaM

I actually want the mounts to be more complex. think of any of the random pet simulations that are popular today. I think it would be cool to actually treat your mount like a living breathing animal.

Feeding, exercise, maybe even a active skill system increasing a mounts Hp, speed and cargo capacity to even increasing in size. I just dont like to see mounts in a game that most people are too afraid to use.

I used mine maybe 5% of the time because its a fact that Ryzoms gameworld is pretty hardcore. why bother taking it out if its gonna die forever? I can see the mechanic being good if someone could kill u and the mount and loot the materials off it.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• MaDSaMMaDSaM Member Posts: 627

Neat idea, but it should be "mortal" nevertheless, simply because of "no risk, no fun" ;)

The main reason why people aren´t much using their mounts is that teleporting is atm far too cheap.

If dappers where less and TP-pacts thus less easy avaliable people would simply "need" to use their mounts more often,

for example to trek goods from point a to b, or to get whereever they want in less time.

It´s a bit like RL, why walk if you can drive? - Why ride if you can teleport? ;)

Okay, less dappers wouldn´t solve everything and motivation to realy use mounts would probably not rise immediately, but with more missions like those centering around the Watch-camps, people would probably use them more.

For example a mission that actually required you to form a sort of caravan through the desert to bring a lot of goods from a to b.

Where teleporting was expressively forbidden and the use of mounts was expressively required. Why not?

If implemented cleverly and with nice "prizes" this kind of mission could well be much fun :)

I for myself love treking with mounts as it adds another level of depth to the journey, because not only do you have to protect yourself, you need to take care of the mounts too. More complex mounts, as you describe them, would surely add to this, yes :)

But I´d refrain from making them unkillable as some folks demand, it would simply take away the risk involved in using them and with it most of  the fun.

Did you post this idea on the suggestion boards? If not. DO SO! :D

Ryzom, we dare to be different.
    Do you dare to adapt?
  • GilgameeshGilgameesh Member UncommonPosts: 412

Apart the ideas, that are nice, it's not entirely true that people don't use mounts.

When you see packers somewhere far from any stables, someone moved them to the place and, if you explore a lot, you'll see a lot of packers in the wilderness.

The reasons why it's difficult to see people mounting around often are:

1. moving your animal is not a daily activity but just done at specific time (ie, u need to change spot, u start something different, etc... );

2. mounting and moving packers around can be done once you have enough dodge/parry, so it's not a low level activity unless you are someone who take the risk for the fun;

3. combatant players of course often have to reach a spot fast to meet with the team, so unless they already have the mount in region, they will use the ticket;

Anyway, if you are someone that doesn't stick all the time in Void ignoring all the other regions, you sure will meet someone mounting (at least you have more chances to meet me. Ops, nvm.... I'm in Void actually for some specific hunts.... image ).

Said that, I agree that encouraging the use of the mount would be nice, but there is only one way to accomplish this: having tickets for mounts (not for the packers). I'm not against a special ticket, eventually gained after a hard ritual task, very expensive to use while mounted. But I'm not sure other people of the community would like that.

I am someone like Mad, I always mount as much as possible and went everywhere (PR included) with my mount. I never sold a packer to buy back in another continent, I always trekked them. They are, after all, my pets.

Edit: Rock, the fact that the mount always die fast is a myth. I lost 3 mounts in 6 years and never lost a single packer. If you know how, you almost never lose your animals.

Nickname registered on www.mynickname.org

Huh? 0o

Please explain to me how in the heavens being able to teleport with your mount, will encourage people to use it more often?

WTF?

Why should I even bother to get it from the stable when I can teleport it from one to the other?

That is, if people aren´t allready freeing and re-buying them in another country, just for that. There´s enough money around to do it, sadly.

Why should I even sit on it, when it just teleports after me, as additional storage space?

And, mind you, I guarantee you that once the mount can 'port, screams will be heard in all existence that the packers should be able too! Because its much safer and faster to simply teleport your additional storage around with you to the not so easy to reach spots.

OMG, sorry but never, ever will this happen!

At least I hope so!

CU

SaM

Do you dare to adapt?

Huh? 0o

Please explain to me how in the heavens being able to teleport with your mount, will encourage people to use it more often?

WTF?

Why should I even bother to get it from the stable when I can teleport it from one to the other?

That is, if people aren´t allready freeing and re-buying them in another country, just for that. There´s enough money around to do it, sadly.

Why should I even sit on it, when it just teleports after me, as additional storage space?

And, mind you, I guarantee you that once the mount can 'port, screams will be heard in all existence that the packers should be able too! Because its much safer and faster to simply teleport your additional storage around with you to the not so easy to reach spots.

OMG, sorry but never, ever will this happen!

At least I hope so!

CU

SaM

Mad, have you really read the post?

I'm not saying that I want tickets, but that would be the only way to have people using mount more often.

I don't need tickets. I mount as much as possible.

Anyway I don't believe that people would ask the same for packers. That would never happens and you are wrong, you can't guarantee.

I explain why people would be encouraged to mount: simply because mounting is faster than running.

Also, what "Why would I even bother to get it from the stable ..." means? Tickets teleport to altars, not stables, so that statement means nothing.

Lol, why you jump off the desk and scream everytime someone start any discussion that involves changes to Ryzom?

Can you disagree just writing your opinions and your statements in a way that I don't feel the need to react in a way I don't want to, expecially because I am a lover of the game exactly as you?

Well, belive me I´ve herad often enough that "packers and mounts must be able to teleport with you". And some folks even do want them to teleport from and to wherever you are." Convenience" is the term involved here.

If had discussions about that as long as I can remember playing Ryzom.

I remember a time when it was possible to reach your packers inventory from each and every stable on Atys and before that even from everywhere you were. People were going nuts when this was changed to ist current sate. And yes, some old and new players want this back.

Sorry if I misinterpreted your points, but then please, next time be a little clearer in your statements, to leave less space for misinterpretations.

And, I´m sorry still, but I still don´t see why being able to for example teleport my mount from Yrkanis to Pyr Kami would make me ride it more often? Or vice versa, for that matter. oooh, the few paces from the shrine to the city... wow, what a harsh road.

And in addition, people that do to say Void to level, why would the take their mounts and risk the death of those?

If they were not made completely invulnerable, that is.

Why teleport and then ride a mount the few meters to their favorite leveling spot, where the mount would stand unused for some hours.

There was a time when mounts were as vulnerable to aggro mobs as homins. If you left your mount somehwhere in the wilds unattended it would sooner or later be eaten. People got very upset about this and they were made "non-aggro", so to say.

Which still isn´t enough for some people it seems, who want them to be "more like WoW mounts". Not you, of course. But those fellas exist. And I absolutely disagree with those.

I´m in no way opposed to change, as you seem so glad of pointing out, I´m only opposed to toughless and so to say "de-volving" changes, that kill every last bit of uniqueness in the game, for the sake of some idiots who can´t get their heads around different mechanics than WoWs.

Those folks I truly despise. And I´m not ashamed of it.

CU

SaM

Do you dare to adapt?

Well, belive me I´ve herad often enough that "packers and mounts must be able to teleport with you". And some folks even do want them to teleport from and to wherever you are." Convenience" is the term involved here.

That's possible, personally I never heard many people in Arispotle asking for that. Just a few. But that's normal, everyone is entitled to express their opinion.

If had discussions about that as long as I can remember playing Ryzom.

I remember a time when it was possible to reach your packers inventory from each and every stable on Atys and before that even from everywhere you were. People were going nuts when this was changed to ist current sate. And yes, some old and new players want this back.

That's also true, everytime something changes there will people that will be pleased and people that will be upset by the changes. That's how the life goes.

Sorry if I misinterpreted your points, but then please, next time be a little clearer in your statements, to leave less space for misinterpretations.

My previous post: "Said that, I agree that encouraging the use of the mount would be nice, but there is only one way to accomplish this: having tickets for mounts (not for the packers)". Explain to me how I must be more clearer.... Is that statement equivalent to: "I want tickets for mounts" ?? I don't think so.

And, I´m sorry still, but I still don´t see why being able to for example teleport my mount from Yrkanis to Pyr Kami would make me ride it more often? Or vice versa, for that matter. oooh, the few paces from the shrine to the city... wow, what a harsh road.

Well, you still use to answer with an ironical mode, not understanding that there are more civil ways to discuss things... I explained why, if you don't see it it's not my problem.

And in addition, people that do to say Void to level, why would the take their mounts and risk the death of those?

Because you have 100 more bulk, because at higher level is much more safer traveling with mount than walking, because you move faster...

If they were not made completely invulnerable, that is.

You don't lose the mount so often to be really thrilled. Also, their cost is very negligible, once you are enough high 600k is very cheap.

Why teleport and then ride a mount the few meters to their favorite leveling spot, where the mount would stand unused for some hours.

See previous answer.

There was a time when mounts were as vulnerable to aggro mobs as homins. If you left your mount somehwhere in the wilds unattended it would sooner or later be eaten. People got very upset about this and they were made "non-aggro", so to say.

Packers are still aggroed if lower level than mobs. I've seen Ocyx attacking packers "orange level" up Outlaw Canyon. Highest level packers seems never get aggro. Anyway we are discussing mounts, not packers.

Which still isn´t enough for some people it seems, who want them to be "more like WoW mounts". Not you, of course. But those fellas exist. And I absolutely disagree with those.

I never played WoW, not interested in but also not against it. Anyway we are discussing about why people don't use mounts, or use it very little.

But seems you prefer people freeing mounts to rebuy them at another continent, not considering that free/buy back is exactly a teleport, the thing you dislike so much.

I´m in no way opposed to change, as you seem so glad of pointing out, I´m only opposed to toughless and so to say "de-volving" changes, that kill every last bit of uniqueness in the game, for the sake of some idiots who can´t get their heads around different mechanics than WoWs.

Those folks I truly despise. And I´m not ashamed of it.

Explain to me why, having a special task that gives you a special ticket is toughless? I would agree with you if using mounts would means "summon" it at will as in Vanguard, but otherwise I don't see any way to compare systems. Mounts and packers are permanent and that should never change. You don't understand that every thing I (eventually) suggest is always made in the "Ryzom" optic and not considering other MMO.

CU

SaM

Well, sorry again if a bit of irony is lost on you.

But as you may have noticed, I also don´t think its okay to "free and buy" mounts instead of teleporting.

And as you allready know people are doing just that and not using the mounts as more than just 100 additional bulk, what would teleporting them change on that?

I don´t see a thing changeing here.

It´d be the same just with a few changes to the system.

People/players are ultimately lazy, extremely so. Today they don´t use mounts because it takes too long to travel with them, even if the beasts move faster than normal running speed. That´s a fact.

I can´t see how having an extra 100 bulk with you would change that while leveling. I´m sorry.

Mounts and packers, yes I do consider them part of Ryzom too and part of the gameplay too, in my oppinion were initially implemented for treks. Caravans of people who would bring merchandise from a to b. But because the dapper is so extremely avaliable and with it TP tickets are nothing but cheap, nobody needs to trek like this.

Did you ever do a trek like this? http://vimeo.com/2604996

It´s great fun, but people miss out on that because they just don´t want to spend a few hours of their precious level-time running around Atys. So, giving them the oportunity to teleport their mounts would simply add 100 bulk to their bag and nothing else. You´ve said it yourself. People would load up, teleport, load off, teleport, load up, teleport... and so forth.

That´s not realy "using" a mount in my oppinion. Sorry.

Those folks that WANT to truly USE their mounts, like you and me, will do so, wether they can teleport them or not.

I think we do agree that   "more use of mounts" and better use for that matter, involves "riding around the countryside with them". 

Just considering them more storage space simply doesn´t do them any justice. And that´s what most players do and would still do, if tp-ing them would be made possible. Nothing more, nothing less.

Rockgod´s idea of making them more like pets would be great, but I still fail to see how teleporting my mount would make me use it more often.

That would be like using my car just for driving to the next gas station and nowhere else, because I hate long journeys. ;)

CU

SaM

Do you dare to adapt?

No problem, Mad.

I see that if you want, you can argument in a fairly and constructive way :)

Maybe you right, anyway I don't see any other way to encourage people using mounts. Personally I don't want tickets and I don't need them. And freeing/buy back is, unfortunately, a fact. People prefer to spend a 600k ticket instead of traveling with them.

Maybe if people stop telling around that mounts and packers die fast (not true), that with a bit of experience you can travel around much safer than by walking, people start considering them as a viable way to move. At least, if they have the mount in region.

Maybe, what discourage people more is the food u have to carry to feed the packers. You can go from one continent to another with just 2 concentrated bales but, if you need to move more for any reason, you can end up with a hungry mount.

Maybe, with an alternate way to feed your mount, poeple would try to use it more often.

I see 3 possible ways to do this:

1. use a "food" mission mat as mount food. Extract it and a specific quantity (to be decided) can be used as forage bale;

2. make a new "right-click"/animal window choice: "go eat". This could just make the animal free to move around (ie: in a range of 50 mt from you) as any wild mektoub for, can say, 20/30 seconds max (depending how much hungry it is). During this time the animal will be vulnerable as any other wild mektoub. At the end of timer the mount came back to you, happy and ready.

3. Add stables at tribe camps or, at least, a stable boy (merchant). This way you have more option and you also encourage people to work on their tribe fame, if they consider useful being able to enter a camp.

I like more the 2nd choice, while I consider the 1st  the worst of the three. The 3rd choice probably would need a lot of work for the devs to implement it.

They are sandbox stuff, and I think improving the sandbox aspect of the game will be always good. People play the game also because it's a sandbox game.

Not sure the actual devs agree with that. Doesn't seems to me they want more sandbox stuff ingame, unfortunately.

I still think that would be a "winning " choice.

A final consideration: at least, if you have to move your packers, that's done much easier if you mount. So, encourage people to move packers and probably they will have another reason to use the mount.

• eburneburn Member Posts: 740

Originally posted by Z3R01

Originally posted by Terikan3

so much delusion, so little time.  Ryzom was released in a time when there were a lot of players looking for good new mmos.  When the concept of sandbox wasn't so unknown to the demographic, as it is today.  And ryzom was utter trash.  I mean it was the worst garbage pile of an mmo imaginable.  And that's why it failed.  It had it's chance.

Why come to my thread and lie? 

You never gave Ryzom a chance. The game was sold off due to the devs inability to advertise the game. the mechanics were in place, there was nothing wrong with the game.

Because the game was mishandled that means its terrible?

Why come here to troll?

Well yes. It was a horrible experience as a consumer. Plus there wasn't any room for mechanic improvements and what not at that time. Maybe it's changed over the last couple of years, but as much as a lot of us wanted this game to be awesome then. It really wasn't.

You can come post daisies and tulips, but the fact of the matter is there's a lot of gamers here who were there THEN and quite frankly I don't think fanboi talking up is a very good 'come play with me' pitch.

Show pictures, show videos, and some details in this great RP and world events and then you'll give this useless thread some stable ground.

I kill other players because they're smarter than AI, sometimes.

http://www.ryzom-movies.de

Loads of Videos

http://vimeo.com/3592001

Video of a world RP/Battle Event

And some more on the side ;)

Enjoy.

CU

SaM

Do you dare to adapt?
  • JoarnajJoarnaj Member Posts: 258

I gave it a good try. Played through the free trial, didn't get it, came back a couple months later with a new mindset and tried it again.

The second time around I really began to understand the appeal of this game. I was enthralled by the hunt. The "living, breathing world," as it is so commonly called is truly amazing. Learning about the creatures in this game, their social habits, their movement patterns, and how best to go about hunting them was awesome. I described this, as I had with many mmo's, to my WoW-exclusive friend and it is the only game I have ever told him about that he said, "That actually sounds really cool." And it is truly very cool.

In the end, however, I simply couldn't justify paying the monthly sub because A) it is difficult for me to justify paying for more than one monthly sub at a time, B) it wasn't entertaining enough to make me rethink A, and C) it wasn't nearly as captivating for me as WoW. If it were f2p I would gladly boot it up once or twice per week and enjoy the beauty of the changing environment and hunt, but I can't do it p2p.  Perhaps I'm just more of a theme-park game guy even though I always fancied myself more of a sandbox game guy. Perhaps most gamers are the same - they like the idea of sandbox but truly creating their own adventure doesn't come naturally.

For those who say this game had its chance or sucks or whatever, you're simply wrong. It is a great game in its own right but seems to be lacking in the "quick entertainment fix" department that I think the majority of gamers look for. For those who say that the population is the catch 22 and also that WoW is king only because it's king, you are also wrong. WoW has something that appeals to everyone. I would say that WoW ranks as a solid B in almost every category. Most games don't rank a solid B in any. Most games that have A categories leave other categories out altogether that WoW includes thereby appealing to those types of gamers. Ryzom has a low population because there is not enough "game" and its population is one that simply doesn't mind that.

For anyone thinking about trying this game out the best advice I can give is take time to stop and smell the roses. Look at everything. Look at it close up. Look at it far away. Don't concern yourself so much with advancement but rather immerse yourself in this unique and remarkable world. And when hunting, put on the mind of a hunter. Watch your prey and their behavior before jumping into the fray. Trust me on that one: it will make the game more interesting and help you stay alive more often.

I was pleasantly surprised when I went from Apprentice to full 5 star Elite in under 2 months. I was pleasantly surprised again when I went from Elite to just barely Hardcore in 2 weeks. Apprentice, here I come!

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

I played Ryzom for three months.  At first the game seemed amazing... I can develop any skill I want wow, I can craft everything wow.

After three months of fighting the same mobs and the same plants the same way no matter what I use, dagger, sword, axe.. I'm bored of it.

After digging in the dirt for three months to craft the exact same looking armor as I allready have (there isn't very many styles) just with different stats.  I'm bored of it.

There needs to be more to do in that game than just digging and fighting, or at least more variety while doing it. 

In other games I can roll a different class for a new fighting experience, or a different area.  In Ryzom this doesn't make any difference at all, virtually all skills fight the same and craft the same.  Once you've traineed a few skills to 100 or more it is just mind-numbingly repetitive.

Venge Sunsoar

edit - What I would like is a game that has as many fighting and crafting options as Ryzom with the exterior housing of Istaria, the interior housing of CoH, and the variety of activites as WoW.  That to me would be the perfect game.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • einexileeinexile Member UncommonPosts: 197

Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

I played Ryzom for three months.  At first the game seemed amazing... I can develop any skill I want wow, I can craft everything wow.

After three months of fighting the same mobs and the same plants the same way no matter what I use, dagger, sword, axe.. I'm bored of it.

After digging in the dirt for three months to craft the exact same looking armor as I allready have (there isn't very many styles) just with different stats.  I'm bored of it.

There needs to be more to do in that game than just digging and fighting, or at least more variety while doing it. 

In other games I can roll a different class for a new fighting experience, or a different area.  In Ryzom this doesn't make any difference at all, virtually all skills fight the same and craft the same.  Once you've traineed a few skills to 100 or more it is just mind-numbingly repetitive.

Venge Sunsoar

edit - What I would like is a game that has as many fighting and crafting options as Ryzom with the exterior housing of Istaria, the interior housing of CoH, and the variety of activites as WoW.  That to me would be the perfect game.

Please tell me something about Istaria. I have always wondered about that game but never got around to trying it.

Have you played Anarchy Online?

SPOILER: This turned into a rant post. That was an accident. To anyone would would rather not read a guy's negative opinions about an essentially wonderful game, stop here.

Everything you said above is true. I love Ryzom but I cannot play it for very long, and the often hostile attitude from people who want me to pretend I'm doing something more interesting only makes it worse. If I want to "make my own fun" that's what my word processor is for.

What some of the more enthusiastic posts here don't mention is that PvP and world events are mostly closed to you until you reach endgame. The enemies are simply too powerful for you to stand a chance. I did several missions over and over again to get my PvP flag, only to find that everyone else with a flag will kill you in one hit even if they try not to.

Another depressing element was not being able to use anything you craft yourself. Whatever you make, you will have so many of that they must be vendored. Which means everyone above your level is doing the same, and eager to give away their creations just so some of it won't go to waste. You will quickly find yourself outfitted in items you could never make youself, and they will be tailored for a specific damage type, which means you must now fight just one kind of monster.

Sure, you have the option of doing anything else you want, but difficulty in this game means little besides the speed of your progress. In day-to-day PvE you will never say to yourself "Man, that was a close one; good thing I thought to use XYZ in time." Apart from the occasional thrill of being set upon by wild dogs or jumped by respawns, the fighting becomes pretty repetitive. You'll never learn that this mob runs for cover at 1/3 hp, that mob casts a spell you can't interrupt with melee, etc.; it's just hit hit hit hit. I suppose I should use my imagination and make my own challenge.

I didn't mean this to turn into a rant post. I actually checked this forum because I want to reopen my account. But it drives me crazy how people think this game is something it is not. Making your own spells is another example. Because this is confusing at the start and not copied anywhere else, fans of the game will sometimes offer it as a sign of the game's sophistication. It is nothing more than a loadout system: I want a bigger engine; oh dear, I can't power my launchers. Okay, install a new capacitor. Crap, now there's no room for the hyperdrive. It's a cute system, but there is always a best version of the spell, and trial & error will get you there quickly. It's enjoyable to make different versions for different enemies.

Lastly I am sore at them for wiping out the starter island. It was probably the best tutorial I've ever seen, with a great atmosphere and some thrilling situations, and last time I checked it was empty of activity, because where at one point it was the best place to meet other players, it is now a  major hindrance to that.

einexile the meek
    Vacuos, Winterlong, Vaciante, Eicosapenta
    Atlantean, Tyranny, Malton

Originally posted by einexile

What some of the more enthusiastic posts here don't mention is that PvP and world events are mostly closed to you until you reach endgame. The enemies are simply too powerful for you to stand a chance. I did several missions over and over again to get my PvP flag, only to find that everyone else with a flag will kill you in one hit even if they try not to.

I don´t even PvP, but even to me the answer to this is obvious.

No Newbes aka. small PvPers, means an overhang of higher PvPes who naturally kick the smaller ones butt.

If there were more Newbes, there´d be far more small level PvPers, who could for example gang up on an older guild.

Saying things like what you said above is sadly what keeps palyers from even trying to get somewhere and get together with others, because all they read is: "I can´t make it by myself". And thus don´t even want to try to make it together with others.

*sigh*

Well, a vicious circle.

CU

SaM

Do you dare to adapt?
  • einexileeinexile Member UncommonPosts: 197

No Newbes aka. small PvPers, means an overhang of higher PvPes who naturally kick the smaller ones butt.

If there were more Newbes, there´d be far more small level PvPers, who could for example gang up on an older guild.

Saying things like what you said above is sadly what keeps palyers from even trying to get somewhere and get together with others, because all they read is: "I can´t make it by myself". And thus don´t even want to try to make it together with others.

For the record, it is a tremendous pain in the ass to get flagged for PvP, and I have never been attacked maliciously in the wild. I did get ganked several times in town by someone who found the flag precocious.

The problem of PvP imbalance was solved years ago, and there is really no excuse for this. At least Ryzom has done the right thing by allowing self-flagging, and not allowing you to hop in and out of PK status for a laugh.

You can definitely make it by yourself in this game, and in fact it's even more fun that way. You will craft things you can use, it will be very difficult getting from place to place, and your discovery of the world's locations will be spread out over your experience rather than presented to you all at once as a favor.

einexile the meek
    Vacuos, Winterlong, Vaciante, Eicosapenta
    Atlantean, Tyranny, Malton

• MarlonnekeMarlonneke Member Posts: 3

I absolutely love pre-cu SWG. I've put in a tremendous amount of time.

I tried ryzom 4 years ago and again a year ago .... but i can't even manage to finish the trial island ... it just doesn't grab me.

Maybe, like someone mentioned before in this thread, i don't want to invest that much time anymore ... these days i'm enjoying global agenda for example where you can jump in and have immediate action already from the lower levels .. a game between soup and potatoes :)

Or maybe i compare it to much to swg...

Ryzom looks promising and has a lot going for it ... but unfortunatly not for me.

Am looking forward now to ArcheAge as the next sandbox attempt .... not getting my hopes up though.

• ryuga81ryuga81 Member UncommonPosts: 351

Saga of Ryzom... I give my full endorsement of the greatest sandbox game since Swg.

If only they updated the 16bit-like graphics... :/ I'd give it a try :/

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780

Is it tab target click 123 type game play?

Originally posted by Mad+Dog

Is it tab target click 123 type game play?

Yes but you get to design you characters abilities.

Like increasing range, damage, AoE effect or even adding a Dot to an ability.

Noone has a spell thats the same.

But yes it is basic select your target and hit your hot buttons rpg combat.

Originally posted by ryuga81

Saga of Ryzom... I give my full endorsement of the greatest sandbox game since Swg.

If only they updated the 16bit-like graphics... :/ I'd give it a try :/

Try updating your PC, Only Ryzom character models look dated the game world, spell/weather/lighting effects, creatures and damn near everything else is great considering this game released around the same time WoW did.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I honestly never got past the trial area,everyone kept saying it gets better.

Well this is where the game fails big time,why would you give your initial audience such a weak game if you want them to stick around?

Afer that i decided to fireup the editor and saw a VERY weak game inside,i knew right away there couldn't be much to see past what i already saw.

I found that Ryzom is a game that could be a grouping game,however with so few players,there is no chance of that happening.Even if it did have more players,it cannot compete with my fave game's huge diverse class/sub class system [FFXI].

FFXI also has a huge array of spells and abilities,i cannot see another game coming close to the choices i already have in FFXI.

I might also add that F2P has no bearing on my choice of games,i would galdly pay 50 bucks a month if i thought the game was of great AAA quality,i only play F2P games because that is what they are worth as a filler to kill some time.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• kaltoumkaltoum Member Posts: 304

Trial bored me to death. Why would someone playing trial care if game gets better later? you gotto grab your customer from get go.

90% of haters are begging for love. 10% just want a little attention -- Paulo Coelho

• RaizeenRaizeen Member Posts: 622

According to some people on here this doesent count as a sandbox since it has grind level and items:P So lets bitch about that. Oh but darkfall has all this aswell but they dont show your level just so to them thats a true sandbox. No wonder the type of game keeps failing.

Originally posted by Wizardry

I honestly never got past the trial area,everyone kept saying it gets better.

Well this is where the game fails big time,why would you give your initial audience such a weak game if you want them to stick around?

Afer that i decided to fireup the editor and saw a VERY weak game inside,i knew right away there couldn't be much to see past what i already saw.

I found that Ryzom is a game that could be a grouping game,however with so few players,there is no chance of that happening.Even if it did have more players,it cannot compete with my fave game's huge diverse class/sub class system [FFXI].

FFXI also has a huge array of spells and abilities,i cannot see another game coming close to the choices i already have in FFXI.

I might also add that F2P has no bearing on my choice of games,i would galdly pay 50 bucks a month if i thought the game was of great AAA quality,i only play F2P games because that is what they are worth as a filler to kill some time.

Sadly thats a major flaw of most sandbox games. the initial gameplay experience doesnt relfect the rest of the game unless we are talking about the limited sandbox mmos like Darkfall that basically show you that the game is nothing but FPS arena with a fantasy skin from the get go.

Ryzom plays like a damn quest stacker themepark on that stupid tutorial island and i put the blame solely on that area of the game as the reason ryzom has so little population.