Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what is this game?

comerbcomerb Member UncommonPosts: 944

A sandbox?  A themepark? 

I've read that they want to create a world thats mostly seamless, a skill based system, and a few other tidbits that sound very sandparkish...but

I've also read that the main story is very linear, and gleened a few other hints that the game would be very linear in nature.

Have they actually come and and said what type of game they are going for here?

Comments

• ShamorauShamorau Member UncommonPosts: 181

There is really next to nothing out about this game yet. From the dev's we've got the 3 secret societies or factions, and some vague info about a few area's. But anything else than that and everyone else is guessing.

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

We've heard about PvP in some place called the Hollow Earth, which could very well literally mean finding out the Earth is actually hollow.

But  we haven't heard much about gameplay or the mechanics apart from Funcom being proud of the system they've developed.  

• RJEclipseRJEclipse Member Posts: 33

From what I've gathered it seems like it's going to be a bit of both. On one hand you have no classes, so you make your character the way you see fit and the option to go where you want and explore the world for no real purpose other than to find secrets and treasures. In that sense it seems like a sandbox. On the other hand there are storylines that build upon each other and handhold you from one area to the next (though you don't necessarily have to follow); so this seems a bit themepark-ish to me. 

• HunterhyenaHunterhyena Member Posts: 91

Seams like reasonable game. No classes you say? Free to explore world with nor real goal. Won me over

hehehe,hahahahaHAHAHAHA

laughing Hyena, get used to it -_-

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

In March there was a large burst of information for the GDC, but they've gone pretty quiet again: game will be due end of 2011 earliest, so that leaves enough time for further information releases.

What is known so far:

- it'll be a horror/urban fantasy MMO, based upon the idea 'what if all legends, folklore tales and myths were actually true, and all this is still taking place in modern day society, only veiled away from normal society'?

They said they were inspired upon Lovecraft, Stephen King and Gaiman, so I'm expecting a Supernatural/X-Files vibe with those secret societies that deal with those horrors and unnatural things and phenomenons.

- there'll be no classes, and no levels. Progress will be measured differently, like the gear you obtain via missions opening up other skills etc.

- the 3 factions will battle continuously in a huge underworld known as 'Hollow World' where they battle for resources and possession of territory as resource spots and such.

- there'll be teamcombos: everyone will have 7 passive, and 7 active skill activated from their collection a la GW. The passive skills can boost or add effects the active skills from all team members, like if someone has a passive skill that mobs on fire will explode, and another team member sets mobs on fire with an AoE skill, then those mobs will explode, etc.

- Tornquist has mentioned that there will all kinds of puzzles and mysteries integrated in the game, but it won't be like that you can't move on in the main storyline if you couldn't find or solve them.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• VaettirVaettir Member Posts: 68

Originally posted by cyphers

In March there was a large burst of information for the GDC, but they've gone pretty quiet again: game will be due end of 2011 earliest, so that leaves enough time for further information releases.

What is known so far:

- it'll be a horror/urban fantasy MMO, based upon the idea 'what if all legends, folklore tales and myths were actually true, and all this is still taking place in modern day society, only veiled away from normal society'?

They said they were inspired upon Lovecraft, Stephen King and Gaiman, so I'm expecting a Supernatural/X-Files vibe with those secret societies that deal with those horrors and unnatural things and phenomenons.

- there'll be no classes, and no levels. Progress will be measured differently, like the gear you obtain via missions opening up other skills etc.

- the 3 factions will battle continuously in a huge underworld known as 'Hollow World' where they battle for resources and possession of territory as resource spots and such.

- there'll be teamcombos: everyone will have 7 passive, and 7 active skill activated from their collection a la GW. The passive skills can boost or add effects the active skills from all team members, like if someone has a passive skill that mobs on fire will explode, and another team member sets mobs on fire with an AoE skill, then those mobs will explode, etc.

- Tornquist has mentioned that there will all kinds of puzzles and mysteries integrated in the game, but it won't be like that you can't move on in the main storyline if you couldn't find or solve them.

As of now, this sounds fantastic, and satisfyingly creative. 

• RiotgirlRiotgirl Member UncommonPosts: 520

Originally posted by cyphers
    What is known so far: - it'll be a horror/urban fantasy MMO, based upon the idea 'what if all legends, folklore tales and myths were actually true, and all this is still taking place in modern day society, only veiled away from normal society'?

- there'll be no classes, and no levels. Progress will be measured differently, like the gear you obtain via missions opening up other skills etc. - Tornquist has mentioned that there will all kinds of puzzles and mysteries integrated in the game, but it won't be like that you can't move on in the main storyline if you couldn't find or solve them.

Originally posted by Vaettir
    As of now, this sounds fantastic, and satisfyingly creative.

QFT! The above alone, but especially inspired and influenced by Lovecraft, has piqued my interest. Am I alone in hoping for dark adult content and theme ala Kult? This is now on my watch-list.

Cheers!

"If you think I'm plucky and scrappy and all I need is love, you're in way over your head. I don't have a heart of gold or get nice. There are a lot nicer people coming up. We call them losers."