Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IMO, Designs going down the wrong paths again

ReallyNow10ReallyNow10 Member UncommonPosts: 2,225

Resurrected heroes, "Soul" class systems, two faction setups, anime-graphics, bizarre in-game music, and such tell me that once again, devs are heading down the wrong paths and dragging unwitting investors right down the drain with them.

The customer order (unfilled) for the past ten years has been:

1.  Largely PVE game.  (Toss the PVP'ers a server or two).

2.  Traditional Tolkienesque or D&D'ish fantasy races, monsters, and worlds.

3.  Stinging death penalty.

4.  Earned rewards (i.e., no welfare epics)

5.  Racial starting areas.

6.  Start off as a simple adventurer, and not a "chosen-one-to-save-the-world" or resurrected special hero, or dude that will sprout wings at level 10, etc...

7.  Limit instancing and ZERO PHASING.  (Please, gosh, "Phasing" is the worst design element ever).  Also, no cutscenes.  Cutscenes are canned crap.

8.  Non-instanced housing.  (An instanced house, even if a palace, means nothing.)

9.  Zone-wide (but not server-wide) chat.

10.  No cross server grouping.  (Merge servers if pops get low, but people need to be able to share the world with those whom they group with).

11.  WOW UI setup and auto-attack system, with skills, works just fine.  It allows folks to type (talk) and fight at same time.

12.  Freedom to roam the world, even into places too dangerous.

13.  Character positioning should be head facing forward and shoulders square.  None of this angled stance crap that makes players constantly wonder if they are facing forward.  (EQ2 was the very worst at this, but there are other offending games out there).

14.  Simple fantasy music (nothing jazzed up.  Remember, fantasy is about living in a simpler time, so the music should be simple and enchanting like early EQ1 music was).

15.  Distinct zones.  (Vanguard failed here.  Zones should feel different.  WOW, EQ1, EQ2, DAOC did it right in this regard).

16.  TRAINS.  (Aggroed monsters should be a threat to everyone nearby, not just to the fools that pulled them.  Add faction hits if someone's train kills a player outside his group; this will keep the mechanic from being abused.)

17.  IN GENERAL, tough-looking monsters should be tough and wimpy-looking monsters should be wimpy, UNLESS there is a special reason for this not to be so.  (A 17th level deer standing next to a 15th level stegosaurus makes no sense.)

18.  Not too much meshing of science and fantasy; just a hint of the former.

19.  Simple beautiful graphics.  (No need for nose slider bars that drive the obsessive mad.  Just pretty and vibrant graphics.  WOW got this right, although the realistic look could be turned up a notch).

20.  Genders should be equal and have only graphical differences.  (Some games think it is cool for only a certain gender to access a particular race and/or class, but this is a needless restriction).

[Mod Edit]

Comments

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

You should add the caveat "In my Opinion"

• ReallyNow10ReallyNow10 Member UncommonPosts: 2,225

Originally posted by arenasb

You should add the caveat "In my Opinion"

As should you.  Every post on ANY forum is an opinion.  Funny how the "storyline" crowd never caveats their own posts.

I do. But your statements reeks of stating your opinion as fact, which it is not.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,043

Originally posted by ReallyNow10

Resurrected heroes, "Soul" class systems, two faction setups, anime-graphics, bizarre in-game music, and such tell me that once again, devs are heading down the wrong paths and dragging unwitting investors right down the drain with them.

6.  Start off as a simple adventurer, and not a "chosen-one-to-save-the-world" or resurrected special hero, or dude that will sprout wings at level 10, etc...

7.  Limit instancing and ZERO PHASING.  (Please, gosh, "Phasing" is the worst design element ever).  Also, no cutscenes.  Cutscenes are canned crap.

8.  Non-instanced housing.  (An instanced house, even if a palace, means nothing.)

10.  No cross server grouping.  (Merge servers if pops get low, but people need to be able to share the world with those whom they group with).

11.  WOW UI setup and auto-attack system, with skills, works just fine.  It allows folks to type (talk) and fight at same time.

13.  Character positioning should be head facing forward and shoulders square.  None of this angled stance crap that makes players constantly wonder if they are facing forward.  (EQ2 was the very worst at this, but there are other offending games out there).

14.  Simple fantasy music (nothing jazzed up.  Remember, fantasy is about living in a simpler time, so the music should be simple and enchanting like early EQ1 music was).

15.  Distinct zones.  (Vanguard failed here.  Zones should feel different.  WOW, EQ1, EQ2, DAOC did it right in this regard).

16.  TRAINS.  (Aggroed monsters should be a threat to everyone nearby, not just to the fools that pulled them.  Add faction hits if someone's train kills a player outside his group; this will keep the mechanic from being abused.)

17.  IN GENERAL, tough-looking monsters should be tough and wimpy-looking monsters should be wimpy, UNLESS there is a special reason for this not to be so.  (A 17th level deer standing next to a 15th level stegosaurus makes no sense.)

19.  Simple beautiful graphics.  (No need for nose slider bars that drive the obsessive mad.  Just pretty and vibrant graphics.  WOW got this right, although the realistic look could be turned up a notch).

20.  Genders should be equal and have only graphical differences.  (Some games think it is cool for only a certain gender to access a particular race and/or class, but this is a needless restriction).

Thats just your personal list. Stop acting as if all customers want that. Im a customer and I dont like it when someone else starts speaking for me.

I stopped at 2. I really liked to read Tolkien's books, but I hate MMO's based on that.

I do. But your statements reeks of stating your opinion as fact, which it is not.

Okay, I added it to the Title of my post, but seriously, are not all posts "opinions"?  When I see a post saying "Games need more storyline", I might disagree with the post, but I do not toss out a demand that the person caveats it as "his opinion."

There are better counters to my points than that I must caveat them as opinions.

Still, I think if they nailed most of my list, some company could make a bundle of cash.  In my decades of gaming experience, computers or not, most polished games that failed were ones that went off on a strange tangent (such as all the characters having wings or being avatars of gods or other bizarre stuff).

I think the comfort of fantasy is warmth, familiarity, simplicity, and some degree of conformity.  Just my opinion.

Originally posted by someforumguy

Thats just your personal list. Stop acting as if all customers want that. Im a customer and I dont like it when someone else starts speaking for me.

I stopped at 2. I really liked to read Tolkien's books, but I hate MMO's based on that.

What I meant by "Tolkienesque" is Tolkien-like.  Traditional elves, humans, dwarves, ogres, trolls, etc... in a medieval fantasy world.  I did not mean directly Middle-Earth.

• Bob23106Bob23106 Member UncommonPosts: 30

But all your asking for is another WOW clone. They need to stop making the same game. They have to think above and beyond they need some new twist to keep players interested. Some of you concepts like merging servers sounds easy but when performing the task is not so simple. if such a large game you are handling some rather large amounts of data and trying to make data go where its suppose to go is just not as simple as it looks. This is just an opinion on what you want but I believe if you asked a lot of people they don't want this. I believe a lot of people are looking for the next big thing not what everyone else did right. In my opinion what you think they got right I disbelieve in. 

Okay, I added it to the Title of my post, but seriously, are not all posts "opinions"?  When I see a post saying "Games need more storyline", I might disagree with the post, but I do not toss out a demand that the person caveats it as "his opinion."

There are better counters to my points than that I must caveat them as opinions.

Probably so. However, I disagree with some of your choices in your list. That is my counter, my preference is different than your preference.

offtopic: I hate the post editor

Still, I think if they nailed most of my list, some company could make a bundle of cash.  In my decades of gaming experience, computers or not, most polished games that failed were ones that went off on a strange tangent (such as all the characters having wings or being avatars of gods or other bizarre stuff).

I think the comfort of fantasy is warmth, familiarity, simplicity, and some degree of conformity.  Just my opinion.

You are still using 'The customer' in the context that implies most of the customers want that. What survey are we talking about here?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 27,486

Well, wrong paths for you. Two factions, anime graphics, bizarre music (?) and such might not be your thing but it seems they are my thing. Also, I listen to music that is more bizarre than what most people listen to so I am unsure what you mean by "bizarre music".

The customer order for the past ten years has been:

I can agree with this

I'm still waiting for the fantasy game of my dreams so this is not an issue for me

Are you saying you want one or don't want one? It seems that death penalties are getting lighter and lighter.

I can agree

That depends on the story. If it makes sense to have a racial starting area then sure.

Aion reference aside, I can agree with that if only because it's ridiculous to have thousands of chosen ones.

Dont' agree with cut scenes, I can agree to limited instances and I have yet to experience phasing so I can't comment on that.

But non-instanced empty houses also mean nothing.

sure but if a person wants to do a group and can't find one and there are 5 or so people who would also do that group, couldn't find the extra person so they are halfway across the world doing something else, it might make sense to have server wide chat.

Sure.

Some would argue that this set-up is not good.

completely agree!

um sure.

I can't discuss this because of the disseratation I would write. Needless to say, what simpler time are you talking about? If it's the dark ages then sure. If you are starting to get into the rennaissance then "no".

Vanguard has one of the best worlds out there. The world changes from area to area gradually.

agreed.

Completely agree

This is per individual taste.

no. If people are obsessive compulsive and it's ruinging their lives they should feel free to seek help.

Why? I recall Dune having it so that only women were of that mystical class until "the chosen one" came. I believe "Amazons" are only women. So if it makes sense to the story and world I don't see the issue

So in the end, what one person thinks is the wrong way to go might be the right way to go. There can be no consensus here.

Originally posted by Bob23106

But all your asking for is another WOW clone. They need to stop making the same game. They have to think above and beyond they need some new twist to keep players interested. Some of you concepts like merging servers sounds easy but when performing the task is not so simple. if such a large game you are handling some rather large amounts of data and trying to make data go where its suppose to go is just not as simple as it looks. This is just an opinion on what you want but I believe if you asked a lot of people they don't want this. I believe a lot of people are looking for the next big thing not what everyone else did right. In my opinion what you think they got right I disbelieve in. 

Actually, I'm thinking of Everquest Next, if it has much of what was on my list.  I've been waiting for a true sequel to EQ1 for years.

I'd like to take a simple barbarian from his frozen village, strike out into a mysterious and dangerous world, and just make my way up into being a powerful warrior or mercenary.  And I'd like to co-exist in the game world with other free-willed players who have their own dreams.

Open world and free-range.

Originally posted by someforumguy

What I meant by "Tolkienesque" is Tolkien-like.  Traditional elves, humans, dwarves, ogres, trolls, etc... in a medieval fantasy world.  I did not mean directly Middle-Earth.

Im fine with whatever you wish for. But dont write it up as if I (Im a customer) want it too. Im not interested in MMO's with elves and orcs anymore.

Bah, I curse everyone who is hassling me in this thread with constipation.  A curse of constipation on you all!!!!

Prune juice is your friend, ReallyNow.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 27,486

Bah, I curse everyone who is hassling me in this thread with constipation.  A curse of constipation on you all!!!!

Never underestimate the reverse option. It is just as effective. ; )

Lol.

Ok ppl, lets give the OP some space to dream about his perfect MMO :)

• GrimzayGrimzay Member Posts: 214

You are indeed passing of your opinion as "fact".

And all posts are not opinions.

Example:

Earth Eternal is a game that will attract many furries.

^ Fact.

Earth eternal is a game that is for furrys.

^ Opinion.

So no, not all posts on this forum are fact. Though many..many are :F

Btw I 100% agree with no welfare epics. We should form a petition.

"We got rid of the trinity." How'd you do that? "Now everyone can heal." Sounds like you just took the mechanic and spread it thin. "Well no, there's one class that can do it better than others." I see, so they're healers. "No. They're.." -mind asplode-

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,512

GW2? Probably not with the housing part but still.

This is not a game.

• VaettirVaettir Member Posts: 68

In MY opinion, 

Traditional fantasy, while nice, becomes repetitive.

When presented with half-hearted classical background music, I pull up Winamp and play some jazz / techno / rock / elevator music / anything but lame classical.

I am a massive fan of the meshing of science and fantasy. When I saw the bullet labeled "TRAINS" I thought of some large, futuristic public transportation. Not even kidding.

Everything else I either A: agree with or B: could care less about.

(As long as we're stating opinions on here.)

• FishbaitzFishbaitz Member Posts: 229

Angry about TERA, I see.

The majority of games have been largely PvE

Funny, there is LOTRO and DDO, exactly what you are asking for. Most other MMOs stick mostly close to this as well. Orcs, goblins, humans, elves, dwarves, ect. How does that not scream Tolkein?

Granted, DP has been scaled back, but why would you want to lose tons of xp when you die. It doesn't promote better play, it only promotes more cautiose play

Last I checked, this is what PvE raids were all about, dungeon delving to kill Da Boss to get his bowler hat of epicness.

Again, a lot of games have had this. Usually dictated by lore, it fits if it fits.

This one has lead to some griping, especially among the story part of the community, so you can't say its been 'unfilled.'

The majority of games DO follow this convention. Usually only haveing instanced dungeons and little to no phasing. Cutscenes.. You're on your own, but usually you can skip them.

Boo hoo, you want to show off your e-peen to everybody who walks by. Servers are also larger than they used to be, so space would fill up fast.

Servers are large these days, do you know how filled that would be?

So, you are for limiting the people you can group with? What happens if your friend joins some server and you join another one? (personally, I also thought that many did do no cross server grouping, but I am unsure)

You say customer order unfilled, but here it is, exactly what you want in an existing game. Personally I enjoy auto attack to, but many find it boring and uninteresting.

Again, many allow.

Many people feel that this is too stiff, and unnatural looking. Look at people standing around, how many of them have their sholders square and head facing foreward?

Music, comes down to the taste in the user. Fantasy is NOT about living in a simpler time, its about escapism and doing fantastic things you wouldn't/couldn't do in real life. Music ideally fits into the mood of the game and what is happening at that moment.

Unfilled you say? You even give examples of where it has. Many do have distinct zones, its what people expect these days.

Too trollable.

It doesn't make sense, last I looked though this was largely followed. some lower level monsters may share a skin with upper levels though.

The most I have seen is guns in most recent MMOs. WoW being the exception, but meh, oh well. People have gotten tired of the traditional mideval setting anyway. Fantasy in general.

Needs to fit with the style of the game. WoW doesn't look bad to me, but I don't like the look that they have at all. Where as GW looks pretty damn good, still no nose sliders and runs even on my piece of shit comp.

Largely held to for the past 10 years... wtf is your problem man?

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

OP wants to rez EQ1. You can tell because of item 16, trains.
    Trains were removed from games for a reason.
    Well, you can still play EQ1 you know. Just remember that EQ1 lost half its subscriber base to WoW in just 3 months time. That's 250,000 subscribers.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• cureyascureyas Member Posts: 4

That maybe your wishlist for a game and good for you.

But alot on that list i dont want to see in a game i would like to play.

Originally posted by uquipu

OP wants to rez EQ1. You can tell because of item 16, trains.

Trains were removed from games for a reason.

I think because of the customer service hassle (i.e., complaints.)  But you could make trains legal and just have faction hits or decreasing aggro if someone pulls and pulls and pulls trains all day.  Game mechanics could limit the griefing factor. 

I liked trains just because they kept me on my toes when I entered an area, and it was fun to dodge them.

Well, you can still play EQ1 you know. Just remember that EQ1 lost half its subscriber base to WoW in just 3 months time. That's 250,000 subscribers.

To me, EQ1 stopped being Everquest with the POP expansion.  I think EQ1 lost subs to WOW more for reasions of aging graphics and combat design elements than the presence of Trains.  I would love to have seen trains in WOW.

• midmagicmidmagic Member Posts: 614

I'd rather have instancing than returning to the days of fully cleaned out zones and a dozen groups just waiting to pounce on any random spawn.

Forever looking for employment. Life is rather dull without it.

Originally posted by midmagic

I'd rather have instancing than returning to the days of fully cleaned out zones and a dozen groups just waiting to pounce on any random spawn.

Me too, especially after seeing Fallen Earths instancing. It doesnt have a loading screen and if there wasnt a window popup with an instance reset button, you wouldnt even realise it that you walked into one.

The entrances are doors to buildings, underground facilities etc. When you are standing in the doorway you can simply see the world outside.