Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

a kill that cost 1295$ for real

13»

Comments

• LuxumaruLuxumaru Member UncommonPosts: 259

Originally posted by Malcanis

Originally posted by Luxumaru

Originally posted by Sheista

Originally posted by Luxumaru

This is exactly why I stopped playing EVE. I don't know how I lasted 4 years in a game that promotes griefing and harassment.

Flame me all you want but encouraging this type of behavior and calling it "Content" to mask the lack there of ... yeah ok. Before you call me a noob who likes to be "held by the hand" no, that is not what I'm saying. I'm saying that promoting ganking is wrong. Especially in a game thats so unique in nature, fans of the concept that simply wanted a space sim in an MMO world where few viable ones exist, shouldn't have to endure this type of treatment if they don't want to. All some of us wanted was a space MMO. Instead of EVE we got "GOL: Gank Or Leave".

This isn't griefing.  It is some idiot who actually undocked in a kestrel with 74 PLEX's in his cargo hold.  Again, its NOT griefing for someone to kill him.  The main thing this game emphasizes is playing smart.  THAT, was not smart.

If that's what you think griefing is, you need to grow a spine, and quit trolling the EVE boards.

The way you're responding, I'd almost think it was you carrying those 74 PLEX's, and you're just angry that people are laughing about how stupid the guy must have been to have undocked with all of those.

First of all, don't you dare call me a troll. I understand this guy was an idiot, and it may be my personal bias, but I fail to see the logic / legality in making items bought with real world money, destructable by other people. I understand that PvP is a focal point of the game, and that is all well and good, but when items that were obtained with hard earned real money are able to be freely destroyed by a total stranger, when the person carrying them was minding his business... I just don't see how that is a smart move. As far as I know [please correct me if I'm wrong] No other MMO allows other people to destroy your "cash shop" items. I do believe there are a few that allow them to be looted, which I also strongly disagree with. Things like this should be considered real world theft, being that the items in question have actual dollar value.

tl;dr version:

I suppose my bottom line is, "I spent my hard earned money on this, who the hell are you to come out of nowhere, and steal it from me." It's robbery.

What if the money wasn't hard earned? If the PLEX were bought by some rich kid with money he inherited from his mom who won the state lottery, is it OK that they be destructible then?

I ask because using emotive cliches is usually a sign of a weak argument.

No. I should of used a different wording but the answer to your question is no, it is no different. Real money is real money. No matter how easily it is obtained. Rich people lose big too, it may not hurt them as badly but it does happen and still isn't fair. If you read my last post, I agree that this guy was an idiot, my argument is simply general.

Total MMOs played: 274|Enjoyed: 9. >:|

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

Originally posted by Quirhid

Give the players a chance to shoot themselves in the foot and sooner or later they will do it. *sigh* It brings nothing new to the game and makes stupid people suffer more - and buy more PLEXes. Unethical, I say. This is not right.

more isk is lost when a titan is destroyed... a few times over for a fitted titan..... the $$$ to isk ratio is just something to put into perspective that a kessie had so much valuable cargo. It would be like saying killing titans or anything more then 20bil+ is unethical.

EDIT: heres an excellent post on the eveo forums, copy pasting here.

"A lot of people seem to confuse GTC's with Plex.

GTC's have a monetary value, can get a refund (I believe) for that value, and are redeemable for game time or can be converted into an in game item called a plex (2 actually). These are not destructible in game.

At the point of conversion into in game items (2 PLEX) the GTC loses all monetary value.

A PLEX has no monetary value, nor can be refunded for money. It is simply a valueless in game item like all other in game items.

If the person in question bought the PLEX from someone else, he spent valueless in game money to purchase them.

If the person in question converted multiple GTC's into PLEX's, he voluntarily negated any real world value the GTC had and transformed them into a valueless item he could sell in game for equally valueless game money.

If the point of buying the original GTC's was for the person in question to extend his game time, he would never have converted/moved the PLEX's to begin with... although strictly speaking their intentions are completely irrelevant as to the discussion of whether a PLEX has any kind of real world value."

http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1365551&page=6 

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

The bottom line is: anyone who doesn't like the idea of destructible PLEX can use them for their intended purpose with absolutely zero risk.

People who do want the option of risking them in open space have that option, and they have no-one to blame but themselves if they take that option and get popped. But the risk is PURELY optional.

Incidentally: PLEX have always been scammable.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• vi2023lyvi2023ly Member Posts: 56

Posting in a thread with a legendary killmail.

Seriously, the only way this could possibly have been more epic is if they'd dropped :(

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Give the players a chance to shoot themselves in the foot and sooner or later they will do it. *sigh* It brings nothing new to the game and makes stupid people suffer more - and buy more PLEXes. Unethical, I say. This is not right.

What's so unethical?  Somebody did something stupid and paid for it.  Such is life.  If he didn't want to risk losing all those plexes then he shouldn' t of undocked with them.

Like they said in Rounders, "... you can't lose what you don't put in the middle".

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• gholstongholston Member Posts: 83

I don't think a lot of you guys that are saying how unfair it is really get it.

Alliances lose Titans all the time which are worth 40 billion isk or more. This is the same thing. It's just an in game item. All items in Eve have value,from the Kestrel to the PLEX. They can all be bought with ISK (that's in game money). ISK has a real world value of both player time to acquire it and an estimated street value in RL money.

1 PLEX cost say 300 million ISK in game. This could be 2 Heavy Assualt Cruisers or whater.

The problem is, most dolts don't assign any value to their TIME they invest in a game acquiring said in game money. This has RL value as well.

Normally this is children who just don't get the value of what their time is.

• vi2023lyvi2023ly Member Posts: 56

EvE is not a game for people with a strong sense of ethics, never has been.  There will be zero fallout from this for CCP, other than yet more media exposure about how hardcore the game is about loss - the kind of publicity that has done nothing but help the game over the last seven years by showing just how different it is from all the wannabe-wow-killers.

Nobody buys 74 PLEX with real money.  Nobody buys 74 PLEX with real money and then undocks with them in a Kestrel in Jita.  The little bit of research I've done indicates the PLEX were purchased with alliance ISK, probably to shipped and sold elsewhere.  In this context, it's still a legendary lossmail (I predict this morph into some meme that will become as common as the 'honour tank' within a month) but hardly the end of the world, about the on the same level as a supercap loss.  Nobody lost real money (the original purchasers of the PLEX got their ISK) and the context of the loss within the game was a normal interaction (getting mugged in Jita).  There's no real grounds for negligence or breach of contract or anything like that - they bought their virtual goodies and lost them in an area of game that was clearly known to be unsafe in a manner that violated none of the game rules.

Like I said, this will make on the blogs and maybe the major news sites, and the game will actually grow as a result of it.  People who can't handle risk get weeded out literally within minutes in EvE, nobody who's playing right now will quit over this, except maybe the person it happened to.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Originally posted by dave6660

What's so unethical?  Somebody did something stupid and paid for it.  Such is life.  If he didn't want to risk losing all those plexes then he shouldn' t of undocked with them.

Like they said in Rounders, "... you can't lose what you don't put in the middle".

No-one has a real reason to undock with PLEXes inside their cargo. Giving chance to do so is giving the player choice to either A) Shoot themselves in the head, or B) Not. -It is really no choice at all. This change was unnecessary from a player perspective.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

Originally posted by gholston

Alliances lose Titans all the time which are worth 40 billion isk or more. This is the same thing. It's just an in game item. All items in Eve have value,from the Kestrel to the PLEX. They can all be bought with ISK (that's in game money). ISK has a real world value of both player time to acquire it and an estimated street value in RL money.

1 PLEX cost say 300 million ISK in game. This could be 2 Heavy Assualt Cruisers or whater.

The problem is, most dolts don't assign any value to their TIME they invest in a game acquiring said in game money. This has RL value as well.

No, gametime do not equal any RL value when it comes to money. Nor do watching TV, nor do taking a walk in the park. Not counting the 'equipment' needed for those things. Your work pays you so you are able to have free time, the salary is not there so you can work... yes you are getting paid to work. Note the difference.

The time spent playing a game or take a walk do not make a difference on you monetary assets...

Either way. When some alliances pay upwards 100 billion ISK in rent. What is measly 22 billion? C'mon running a plex in mediocre 0.0 gave me 200 million ISK last time.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• gholstongholston Member Posts: 83

Originally posted by Orphes

Originally posted by gholston

No, gametime do not equal any RL value when it comes to money. Nor do watching TV, nor do taking a walk in the park. Not counting the 'equipment' needed for those things. Your work pays you so you are able to have free time, the salary is not there so you can work... yes you are getting paid to work. Note the difference.

The time spent playing a game or take a walk do not make a difference on you monetary assets...

Either way. When some alliances pay upwards 100 billion ISK in rent. What is measly 22 billion? C'mon running a plex in mediocre 0.0 gave me 200 million ISK last time.

My work doesn't pay me so that I can have free time. I work for myself. You are making the assumption that work has to suck, and some guy pays you to do it.

It is STILL your time. Your time and effort involved in something with a goal to get something out of it (money).

Whereas Eve is YOUR time involved so that you can get something out of it (ISK, better ships, skils etc)

You can get satisfaction out of work just as you can out of Eve. It just depends on what you do.

• ryuga81ryuga81 Member UncommonPosts: 351

Originally posted by Orphes

Well, 100 billion ISK in rent is a huge sum used to run a huge alliance with a vast territory and several good moons (an alliance of 100 pilots in high sec doesn't certainly handle that sum every day, and most of it would go into infrastructure maintenance anyway).

A 22bil loss is still almost half a titan, a huge asset to an alliance, or a well fitted mothership. Killing a titan usually takes several hundreds pilot's efforts and a good chunk of time. Getting half a titan kill by a couple of pilots in a matter of seconds IS actually quite an event.

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

Can you even take them out of a Station?? You couldent before... When the hell did they change that??

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

I feel better about loosing 150mil in my heron now. image

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

OH MY GOD.

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

Originally posted by Ekibiogami

Can you even take them out of a Station?? You couldent before... When the hell did they change that??

plex? in my space? it's more likely than you think.

BestSigEver :P

• GarkanGarkan Member Posts: 552

Its not that huge of a loss, well it is but its not uncommon or unprecedented expensive ships like super caps die all the time as well has whole fleets of smaller cap ships like Carriers and Dreadnoughts and there is even this:-

http://www.theaduroprotocol.com/killboard/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=3979

worth a a 11 figure sum at least and he bought it with GTCs he sold, he denies it and makes excuses about how he sold them for a friend etc but he personally sold 57 sixty day time codes (around $2000 USD) in one go via the eve forum. I understand why some people don't like the idea of CCP essentially avoiding having to redeem the 30 days of game play that a PLEX represents but despite the rabble rabble CCP obviously made sure this was legally water tight before they made the changes.

Currently playing:

EVE online (Ruining low sec one hotdrop at a time)

Gravity Rush,
    Dishonoured: The Knife of Dunwall.

(Waiting for) Metro: Last Light,
    Company of Heroes II.

• StonefalconStonefalcon Member Posts: 37

I was online mining, over 50 jumps away when this happened, immediately some guy in local linked the kill. About 5 minutes later after i stopped laughing i congratulated the guys who killed him. Then went on to find out this wasnt just any old gank, these guys alliances were at war with eachother. So to sum up the stupidity, Aystra loaded a kestrel with PLEX, was docked in Jita 4-4 (Gank Central), saw their alliance was war decced, and still thought it would be a good idea to undock with flashing war dec reds outside. They fail more than the "Elephants are larger than the Moon lady".

"Not meaning to anger anyone with this thread, though I know in these forums its quite impossible. You can say "I enjoy vanilla ice cream" and still have 50 posts of angry, hot-tempered people who have nothing better to do than argue with you." - Dirkzen

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

If that doesn't make you rage quit I don't know what will.

• EvileEvile Member Posts: 534

That Kestrel pilot definitely gets the Darwin award for sheer stupidity.

• Darkor_hXcDarkor_hXc Member UncommonPosts: 209

I think he/she was thinking like: oh, nobody will shoot a "noob" on a Kestrel.

C'mon, what an idiot!!!

• aithieelaithieel Member Posts: 232

Oh well, THAT is EPIC!

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

Seriously. People it's not unethical at all. If it was any other cargo worth similar amount of ISK you wouldn't start the outrage at how 'stupid' the change was. As it stands it was 'only' 22 billion ISK worth of cargo lost, nothing more nothing less. Many of PLEXes are never used as game time anyway, they are investment, same if you would in real life buy a bar of gold and keep it under your bed. It's money in condensed form, that you can turn into even more money when the prices go up. 

Sure, someone paid real money for those time cards, but once he put them on the market the transaction was made. The guy got his money. What happned next was just normal in-game item loss scenario.