Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

D&D MMO - NWN Online - by Cryptic & Atari , rumoured

13»

Comments

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

If Cryptic started from scratch and built a new engine from the ground up. Took about 5 or 6 years to develope the world and content. Create a hybrid MMO with as many feature options as possible. I might be timpted to take a look.

But we all know Atari will give them a 2 year window to develope this MMO and it will be another instanced game in a box. A shallow featureless game with no depth. Just a shell with a good IP.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Is the Hasbro vs Atari case resolved yet?

Is the Turbine vs Atari case resolved yet?

Because, unless Atari wins both of those they can not do anything else D&D related?

And if Hasbro wins their case (they are seeking to recover the licence) then Atari cannot even mention "Kobold" without paying a fee.

Where are those two cases at?  Anyone know?  Any US lawyers on?

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• Kilo_BravoKilo_Bravo Member Posts: 33

I could definitely get into this. I do favor Forgotten Realms over NWN, but I found the lore of Neverwinter Nights enjoyable as well.

But would anyone care to educate me as to why Cryptic may spell disaster for this possibility? I can understand the lack of confidence in Atari, but Cryptic?

Is it because of Roper?

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Originally posted by Kilo_Bravo

I could definitely get into this. I do favor Forgotten Realms over NWN, but I found the lore of Neverwinter Nights enjoyable as well.

But would anyone care to educate me as to why Cryptic may spell disaster for this possibility? I can understand the lack of confidence in Atari, but Cryptic?

Is it because of Roper?

Play a Cryptic game.

Is it an MMO or an online Single Player game with a multiplayer option?

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

Bioware should do D&D after they release ToR.

Or someone should do Gamma World.

If Cryptic makes D&D it will be crap. I can't believe they've learned their lesson, and won't continue to release crap.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by Gyrus

Because, unless Atari wins both of those they can not do anything else D&D related?

And if Hasbro wins their case (they are seeking to recover the licence) then Atari cannot even mention "Kobold" without paying a fee.

Go Turbine!  Go Hasbro!

I'd rather have no NWN game that have Crypic bullox it up and keep the license for years and years...

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

I am not a fan of Cryptic. DDO is doing pretty well now. I like that game a lot more than any from Cryptic. 

• slingblade9slingblade9 Member Posts: 21

So it's going to be a small forgotten realms world? Neverwinter is a city in the forgotten realms isn't it?

I wish some company would do the whole forgotten realms world.

• Demonspirit8Demonspirit8 Member Posts: 54

This made me laugh. i needed that.

Originally posted by Bsheezy

cryptic is the uwe boll of video game developers.  there, i said it. 

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

I never bought CO nor STO....we did get a couple of copies of CoH at launch though. CoH was boring after about 6 weeks, and Craptic kicked our CO/STO in under 2 yrs each.

Didnt take rocket science on my part to know I would want nothing to do with either.

As someone else mentioned, they appear to shoot for box sales/lifetime subs. MMOs built in under 2 yrs are not designed for long term player retention.

At least that is the way I see it.  IMO Craptic = scam artists, and I hope Atari loses the D & D franchise.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481

Enough with the Cryptic bashing.  They make "shallow" MMOs, sure, but they're always fun so far as they go - and they do make them, and make them pretty well. 

And not everyone wants a second fucking job for their MMO.

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

Originally posted by gurugeorge

Enough with the Cryptic bashing.  They make "shallow" MMOs, sure, but they're always fun so far as they go - and they do make them, and make them pretty well. 

Says you, I thought the last 2 were trash.

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481

Originally posted by Bama1267

Originally posted by gurugeorge

Says you, I thought the last 2 were trash.

Well enough people seem to be disagreeing with you to keep them going. 

Bandying a word like "trash" around in such a context is absurdly hyperbolic.  MMOs are notoriously difficult to make.  Maybe Cryptic aren't in the first rank, but they do get the notoriously difficult job of making MMOs done, and many people play and enjoy their games.

• EnkmarEnkmar Member Posts: 46

Gotta go with gurugeorge on this one. Cryptic isn't Blizzard, Bioware, or even Sony. They don't make big budget top notch games. They make smaller MMOs. They don't even hype them. Wanna see hype? Look at Warhammer before it released - they were supposed to be competing with WoW - their words. That didn't happen. Cryptic doesn't make claims like that.

A lot of this Cryptic hate comes from sheep followers jumping on the hate-wagon and people setting their expectations too high. Champions was developed quickly with no Villains, of course the content was going to be limited. I bought it and enjoyed it, and if they are making an NWN game, I'll give that a go too.

I'm sure some of you feel genuinely ripped off by Cryptic, but don't deny I'm partially right here too. A few posts up a guy says he bought CoH, but not CO or STO, and he hates and bashes Cryptic. CoH was how many years ago? And he didn't play the other games?

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by Enkmar

Gotta go with gurugeorge on this one. Cryptic isn't Blizzard, Bioware, or even Sony. They don't make big budget top notch games. They make smaller MMOs. They don't even hype them. Wanna see hype? Look at Warhammer before it released - they were supposed to be competing with WoW - their words. That didn't happen. Cryptic doesn't make claims like that.

A lot of this Cryptic hate comes from sheep followers jumping on the hate-wagon and people setting their expectations too high. Champions was developed quickly with no Villains, of course the content was going to be limited. I bought it and enjoyed it, and if they are making an NWN game, I'll give that a go too.

I'm sure some of you feel genuinely ripped off by Cryptic, but don't deny I'm partially right here too. A few posts up a guy says he bought CoH, but not CO or STO, and he hates and bashes Cryptic. CoH was how many years ago? And he didn't play the other games?

I dont know about you....

But when I see what they have done to get into STO customer wallets, the word "violated" comes to mind. To quote Dennis Leary in The Ref...."I've seen loan sharks that are more forgiving".

The pre-order exclusive straight to store was one thing. Then they had that ship that required you to add like 5 accounts if you wanted it. Now you know damn well nobody was buying that game after launch, so who do you think these folks were getting the 5 new subs from?

Ayup you guessed it. I am sure a number of them forked out for 5 new box purchases to get what was supposed to be another "exclusive". Heh that didnt last long, as the ship was in the store like a month later for just a few bucks.

I almost feel for Trekkie fans. They got taken to the cleaners. There were a number of them new to MMOs, just like when SWG brought in new gamers at launch. They see their favorite IP is now in a persistent world, and dont realize what a headache they are getting into.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• SorcerousKhanSorcerousKhan Member UncommonPosts: 164

Dungeons & Dragons has plenty of potential as an MMORPG, but I really would rather not see Neverwinter Nights (which, incidentally, IS Forgotten Realms) as the setting of choice. To be really true to the D&D feel, the developer would need to go with a made-from-scratch, Points of Light setting, and dungeon crawls would be the order of the day.

True dungeon crawls, mind you, not the romp-on-rails that most MMO "dungeons" are. I'd love to see a megadungeon turned into an MMORPG.

And despite my earlier sentiment that to be truly D&D, the setting would need to be generic.... I'd also love to see an MMO made out of my favorite published D&D setting:

Dark Sun

Dark Sun would make a fantastic MMO. Especially if it was made by ArenaNet or Turbine. The sands of Athas are perfect for a gritty, post-apocalyptic fantasy MMORPG, something that hasn't been done before.

I'd play it. What about you?

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

It's going to really be hard for Atari to make a Neverwinter Nights game when they're having their asses sued off by Hasbro/Wizards of the Coast right as of this moment and will more than lkely not have any rights to make ANY D&D games.

Originally posted by Darkcrystal

Oh and atari is so fail they been around for 40 yrs, and have so much money its sick, they have always bailed other smaller companys out like fallen earth and so forth but there so fail...

They made one of the first consoles... and the best one back then I must add...but thats way before your time... ATari is s fail though ...give me a break.

I love when people talk about shit they have no idea or clue about. "Atari" as they are now named is Infogrames, which sucked so much turd that they bought the Atari name just so they could disguise themselves in the business before they totally went under. And look at "Atari" now, Infogrames ran the "Atari"name into the shithole just like they ran their own name into the shithole before it.

And "Atari" has so much money it's sick? LOL They are on the edge of friggin' bankruptcy, and have been for the last couple years.

So kindly learn to do some simple research next time.

Buh-bye.

Exactly. It is a sad time...for the child that is my memories is being arse-jockeyed by corporate greed and careless disregard. First Lucas sells out the Star Wars franchise by dry-frackin it straight to sesame street. (I guess Yoda WAS originally a muppet) .Now some crap corp is running the Atari symbol through streams of shit and gore strewn streets of gamers who have been masterfully cut apart and bled dry by microtransactions.... *sniff* *Sniff* ...The only smile I've had in the past few minutes is when someone posted about goldbox D&D and the Commodore 64. Good times indeed. ..and how about the Eye of the Beholder series..always a soft spot in my heart for those games.

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

I can see it now. 

"New in the C store!  Saving throw modifiers.  Now get plus 2 to each saving throw.  Only $25!" or something like that.

Cryptic should just work on the two games they have now.   Continue their development and use the staff on this secret project towards their current dev teams on their games already on the market.  Do not take the risk of working on another highly enjoyed IP only to cheapen and water down its quality with the Cryptic taint they seem to leave on what ever they touch.

• NelothNeloth Member Posts: 249

I love when people say a game or a companys fails, just because you not like it doesn't mean its fail.

STO has plenty of subs and well and Champions, I have played both and admit they are lacking but the game itself was good, both of them, they just are lacking content in time they would be better if they would add stuff faster, that I admit but both are good games, and both run good better than alot of games at release.

Crypitc games both have alot of subs check xfire, and xfire is a guide of what subs are at, so people that do not us xfire would be alot more, so trust me they both have alot of subs so they are far from fail...

They is only a few games that went off line and failed so when people say fail that makes me laugh IRL, as there still making money, so I like to know what games didn't fail? WOW I think WOW is doing a bad job and looking to go offline one day or lose alot more subs. Just because they are going in teh wrong direction, I pefer a game that is hard and I like a game that when I fights something when I die PVE, PVP i,m on my toes that  I could lose something...

Alot of big companys are making easy games to make alot of money, you know why?? Because alot of gamers can;t handle hard, quests and PVP where you lose loot... They get to upset, alot of gamers also like to cheat and have there hand held....

So I like games where alot of indies are making , they  do not have a huge community but they all have a good communitys .. They also have good games, they last good game but a big name company was Asheron call and that was back in 99, the rest of good games, they I like are all indies...

I do like cryptic games though better than any other big named companys.. So the point i,m getting across just because it doesn't have 1 million subs doesn't mean they fail or because you do not like it...

If you do not liek cryptic games its simple do not buy them. I can't stand NCsoft because they have poor secruity, so guess what I do not buy them...

Oh and atari is so fail they been around for 40 yrs, and have so much money its sick, they have always bailed other smaller companys  out like fallen earth and so forth but there so fail...

They made one of the first consoles... and the best one back then I must add...but thats way before your time... ATari is s fail though ...give me a break.

This, I agree. STO was an ok game, tough lacking on some areas, missing some content and such. I pre-ordered it and had fun for the included playtime. Might try it out again when they get more content in.

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Originally posted by Robsolf

Originally posted by Gyrus

Go Turbine!  Go Hasbro!

I'd rather have no NWN game that have Crypic bullox it up and keep the license for years and years...

This.  I would rather there be no game made at all rather than it be made by cryptic.

• EnkmarEnkmar Member Posts: 46

I'd play a Dark Sun MMO, or any video game in Dark Sun for that matter. As someone who used to play and love D&D but my gaming group fell apart, I'm hoping that the new Dark Sun stuff comes out with more than just tabletop content, like new novels or maybe a comic book or a video game would be great.

• DittoDitto Member Posts: 84

I love when people say a game or a companys fails, just because you not like it doesn't mean its fail.

STO has plenty of subs and well and Champions, I have played both and admit they are lacking but the game itself was good, both of them, they just are lacking content in time they would be better if they would add stuff faster, that I admit but both are good games, and both run good better than alot of games at release.

Crypitc games both have alot of subs check xfire, and xfire is a guide of what subs are at, so people that do not us xfire would be alot more, so trust me they both have alot of subs so they are far from fail...

They is only a few games that went off line and failed so when people say fail that makes me laugh IRL, as there still making money, so I like to know what games didn't fail? WOW I think WOW is doing a bad job and looking to go offline one day or lose alot more subs. Just because they are going in teh wrong direction, I pefer a game that is hard and I like a game that when I fights something when I die PVE, PVP i,m on my toes that  I could lose something...

Alot of big companys are making easy games to make alot of money, you know why?? Because alot of gamers can;t handle hard, quests and PVP where you lose loot... They get to upset, alot of gamers also like to cheat and have there hand held....

So I like games where alot of indies are making , they  do not have a huge community but they all have a good communitys .. They also have good games, they last good game but a big name company was Asheron call and that was back in 99, the rest of good games, they I like are all indies...

I do like cryptic games though better than any other big named companys.. So the point i,m getting across just because it doesn't have 1 million subs doesn't mean they fail or because you do not like it...

If you do not liek cryptic games its simple do not buy them. I can't stand NCsoft because they have poor secruity, so guess what I do not buy them...

Oh and atari is so fail they been around for 40 yrs, and have so much money its sick, they have always bailed other smaller companys  out like fallen earth and so forth but there so fail...

Sooooooo....First you come out and say someone is not allowed to say company X fails just because they dont like it followed by you saying that WoW fails because you dont like it.   :/

BTW STO does not have a lot of subs.

there is a reason why they introduced lifetime subs and play to level X trial unlimited models in such a short time (months).

Anyway imo Cryptic is the dirt stain in the MMO market.They have this heavily instanced game engine that they rehash en re-skin for every game they make,thats how they got to release STO after only 2 years dev time.The main problem  With STo is not the content,The problem with STO is you need to be a huge startrek nerd to force yourself to play beyond the first week of your initial 30 days of gametime.

However if you do manage to force yourself through it you will be at cap within 2 weeks with nothing left for you to really do as there is simply not enough content and no endgame att all.

Every 30 seconds there is a loading screen infront of you for just about every move you make.

Every instance is capped at 50 ppl at anytime in the universe or station.Tribes 2 had 64 players 10 years ago and it wasnt even a mmo !

The graphics and animation is clunky and looks lame at best.Zoomed out some spacebased areas look nice tho but thats about it.

....i can go on and on and on about cryptic and their other games and STO for pages !

I rarely wish it for a dev team but i hope cryptic will crash and burn soon. :)

P.S  No i did not burn myself on STO i got it for free over steam from a friend who wanted me to play it with him,I wish he hadnt done that tho ,i would rahter play WoW and i hate that game :*)

Burn Cryptic Burn ! :P