Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free to play what ?

Duster505Duster505 Member Posts: 66

Im sorry but there comes a point when something has to be said...

How on earth can a MMO game be consider free to play when you can't even level up to level cap?  That is the case with this latest Alganon publishing stunt that just once again puts me even further from ever touching the game.

"

With the F2P client you have the option of adding the additional services via our Tribute Market "micro-transaction" system.

Previously Paid Client

New F2P Client

Character Slots

Ability Cap

Level Cap

Quest Limit

Communication Pack

Included

Guild Creation

Included

Gold Cap

Unlimited

50g

Seriously... I truly hope that MMORPG.com goes into this abit further cause calling this a free to play is NOT true.  Its no more free to play than Warhammer endless trial or the current trial of Alganon.  The only thing they are doing is to move the payment until later. 

I just hope to God noone is stupid enough to fall for this.... But if they do... They can only blame themselfs.  Quest Online is a company that so far has managed to do everthing wrong  - and this latest bull tops it all off.

Comments

• GrimzayGrimzay Member Posts: 214

You can play it for free, therefore it's free to play.

By their standards anyway...

"We got rid of the trinity." How'd you do that? "Now everyone can heal." Sounds like you just took the mechanic and spread it thin. "Well no, there's one class that can do it better than others." I see, so they're healers. "No. They're.." -mind asplode-

• dsmartdsmart Member UncommonPosts: 386

You are 100% wrong.

Like all F2P games, if you want perks and such, you have to pay for them. Our model does not require you to buy anything in order to play the game. I guess the chart wasn't clear enough?

Anyway if you had actually played the game - like those who are doing just that - you'd know all this.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living.
    If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
    ...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Originally posted by dsmart

You are 100% wrong.

Like all F2P games, if you want perks and such, you have to pay for them. Our model does not require you to buy anything in order to play the game. I guess the chart wasn't clear enough?

Anyway if you had actually played the game - like those who are doing just that - you'd know all this.

And posts like these are a sure way to make sure we have no interest in playing.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

so you agree its not a F2P, just a free trial?

and after the several problems you did have with that game you still try to pull that? well good luck on that

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • ThanosxpThanosxp Member UncommonPosts: 177

You are 100% wrong.

Actually he said it's no more free to play than warhammer online endless trial,so the chart is clear enough. But as legit as a company to make a game that way, is to a customer shows displeasure in such a model. We, as forum dwellers, can't desintegrate a industry because we don't want a game or another, but it's perfectly normal to say "i don't like this product because X and Y". He said so, put better explanations of that, as the WH analogy, and it's clear that he doesn't like the model. The same as many other, that actually played the game - and are not doing that right now, posting on the forum-, felt ripped off,and went to another hobby.

• Duster505Duster505 Member Posts: 66

You are 100% wrong.

Im sorry but extra 20 levels are not "perks" 

No more than the extra 30 levels of Warhammer online are "perks".   If someone has missed it... Warhammer Online is not a free to play (hence Endless Trials) and is not trying to be anything else.

Its just a very bad publisity stunt to see a game claim to be "free to play" when only limited part of the game is actually free.  If you can not play some part of a game content ... then its not f2p.  And 20 whole levels limits Alganon to the level of STILL beeing P2P game. 

Lets be honest here.  Starting off by lying to the potential playerbase is not a very good start.  And claiming that 20 levels of 50 are "perks" sounds bad.  Do players have to pay extra for each level? And the content that opens up maybe too ? 

• wolvie3131wolvie3131 Member UncommonPosts: 196

I just downloaded the trial today.

the graphics were meh, it took forever for npc's to load in the starting zone (after crashing to desktop twice)

the first quest I came across would not even let me accept it .

I just /uninstalled after that , I remember reading about this game before it came out , joined the site and all that as it sounded great. but what you read and what you get are two very different things here.

free to play?

so sorry you would have to pay me to play this and trust me I am usually an open person who plays games for fun and see's the points of any given game, not what others say about it .

• alderdalealderdale Member Posts: 301

Originally posted by wolvie3131

the graphics were meh, it took forever for npc's to load in the starting zone (after crashing to desktop twice)

I just /uninstalled after that , I remember reading about this game before it came out , joined the site and all that as it sounded great. but what you read and what you get are two very different things here.

free to play?

so sorry you would have to pay me to play this and trust me I am usually an open person who plays games for fun and see's the points of any given game, not what others say about it .

You might what to look at a PC  upgrade this game runs really well on my PC granted its a very high end rig, but I easily pull 80 to 100 plus FPS with no  "NPC loading" loading issues like you mentioned.  It used to crash allot in beta and at early release but its runs very reliably now.  Your opinion on the gameplay itself though is your own and cant be contested.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

I was originally going to post this in a thread that got locked. Let's see if that happens here....

I'm going to admit something that I've been pretty ashamed to admit, but on the other hand...it probably also says something good about me, in an odd sort of way and that is this:

Last year

I am one of the people that bought Alganon when it first started. I just bought the game, not the lifetime sub or anything (because at the time I couldn't afford it, or I probably would have), but let me explain WHY I did it.

Somehow, in my crazy mind, I thought it was a good idea to support new (and / or indie) games in development.. I still think that, but I've become a little more jaded than I was even a year ago. I think being a gamer will do that to you over the course of time, particularly if you've been playing games since the days of Atari.

Anyhow....I enjoyed Alganon with several characters. I think my highest was level 27 and I had a couple of alts in their teens, if I remember correctly. But after a while, as the servers became more and more empty-ish and I had less conversation to distract me from the game itself...I began to realize that the game wan't really very immersive.  The world somehow seemed small, and....well....just didn't really suck me in. And of course, because it was beta...there were loads of bugs. I did see them fixing them as fast as they could, but it seemed when one thing got fixed, something that hadn't been broken before would break, etc., etc. I never HATED the game and I did meet some VERY nice people, being part of the Old Timer's Guild.

But...eventually...I just couldn't see spending my time playing when I really had another game I enjoyed and was paying for every month, so....my interest fizzled and I quit playing. I eventually deleted the game from my hard drive and chalked it up to yet ANOTHER learning experience.

Earlier this year

Then....the promises about refunds on our little "investments"...yada yada bullshit.  Never heard any more of that from the "new team" that had promised it and frankly....didn't really care.

And now, the present day:

They announce the game truly f2p...I wouldn't even (supposedly...I haven't tested this) have to buy the game since I already did. So....just for the helluvit.....I started to d/l the client again.

But THEN......I stopped to think about all this controversy with Derek Smart and how it left such a nasty taste in my mouth. I thought about it for about 2 more minutes....then cancelled the download.

I believe in supporting new games....sometimes.....even if they aren't the BEST games to begin with, BUT.....it is very hard for me to get behind someone that seems very arrogant (admittedly...I do not KNOW the man, I'm only going by how his attitude comes across in posts).  It's also hard for me to stand up for a game if the people "at the helm" seem to have some sort of hidden agenda (that I may or may not agree with), or if they make a habit of being aggressive and attacking others and appear unwilling to focus on more important matters.

If my own FAMILY member was behaving in such a way....and it was THEIR game....I don't think I would do any differently than I'm choosing to do with this. But if it was my son....I'd be able to sit down with him and talk to him and find out just WHY he was saying and doing those things and we'd probably come to some sort of understanding.

Anyway...now I'm rambling. Suffice it to say....I won't be playing Alganon, even though I bought the game, at one time felt it a noble thing to support, and really like a lot of the people that were playing it. There were too many other negatives to warrant giving the positive any sort of creedence.

As a side note....to be fair....I only played during the beta and for a while after the initial release. I cannot judge the game itself as it stands NOW. My decision is not based SOLELY on the game. And that is just the route I, personally, chose to take with it. I am not suggesting anyone else should make their decision in the same way.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

As the original poster has stated, instituting a level cap pretty much makes this game a glorified trial period.  I'm not sure why QoL waited so long to switch to F2P.  Alganon should have switched to F2P a very long time ago, but apparently someone, or several someones, at QoL felt that they had a winner of a game when they removed the subscription prices.  Their inability to read the market seems to have remained given the F2P model they have adopted.

• NesrieNesrie Member Posts: 648

Back up a moment, so the promised refunds were never delivered?

parrotpholk-Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better.

• CheriseCherise Member Posts: 232

Yes they did the refunds.  But refunds were for prepaid subscriptions.  Was never a refund for the client itself since you still had to purchase the client to play the game.

From the other post it sounds like they bought the game but didn't continue beyond beta (or much beyond) so there would have been no refund involved.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

You are 100% wrong.

Actually not so.  I have played numerous F2P games that don't require payment for perks.  In these games, the cash shop "perks" consist mostly of exp enhancments and boosts that let you level faster, not buying "permission" to reach higher levels.  A good example would be all of the Perfect World games.  These games do so well not becauses they offer the kinds of perks Alganon offers in the cash shop (more characters, higher lv caps); but because they offer numerous cosmetic items, mounts, pets, etc, and credits for the cash shop can be bought ingame from other players.  Other examples of F2P games that don't require you to increase your lv cap and stuff with the cash shop is Runes of Magic, Fusionfall, and all of the games from Aeria (including Shaiya and Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine).  All of these are games I have played, and I have been able to visit all the areas, reach as high a lv, create as many characters, and do all the things paying players have.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • dsmartdsmart Member UncommonPosts: 386

Originally posted by Cherise

Yes they did the refunds.  But refunds were for prepaid subscriptions.  Was never a refund for the client itself since you still had to purchase the client to play the game.

From the other post it sounds like they bought the game but didn't continue beyond beta (or much beyond) so there would have been no refund involved.

Thanks for pointing that but yes, we did in fact do the subscription refunds.

There was no refund of the game client because that was not the case. With the subscriptions removed and refunded, you could play the game for free. All you had to do was buy the client for $19.95.

And you're right, that previous poster didn't continue beyond the Beta period it seems.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living.
    If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
    ...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them.

• sevitothsevitoth Member UncommonPosts: 375

Honestly, does it really matter? EQ2 f2p comes out this Tuesday, with LOTRO f2p not too far behind it. Noone is even going to notice this game. There is no way that Alganon can compete with the big boys. It's only a matter of time before the price is dropped, or the game shuts down altogether.

Currently Playing: DAOC Uthgard

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Ahhh. You are correct.  So that makes sense.  For some reason I thought they were refunding the game purchase price. Who knows why I thought that. One way or the other...it just didn't matter to me. I've swallowed larger gaming expenses on "lessons learned" than what Alganon cost, for sure, so....yeah. :)

Thanks for clarifying.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

I very well understand the motivation as i have sympathy for some or another developer too but exerience makes me know that sympathy is a moneylooser that leads to a monetary loss ;)

RoM has upset many of its players with the latest patch so if QOL is quick they can setup some Accounts, buy some loudhailers from their itemshop and beginn a discussion how bad the latest patch was and that they will move to the most recent f2p game which for a miracle is Alganon^^

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• NesrieNesrie Member Posts: 648

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I am unlikely to try Alganon again beause of other games coming up, (only so much time after all)but it's important for me to see how the company, individuals handle these things for when they release another game in the future, which I assume there will be another game eventually.

I thought the refunds in an industry that more often than not refuses to give money back was rather generous offer to make, so no matter how bad the game was, and in beta it was pretty bad even for beta, I've mentioned some credit for that, and wanted to make sure it was still true!

parrotpholk-Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better.

• brennokbrennok Member UncommonPosts: 13

I haven't tried the beta of LOTRO or the endless trial of Warhammer, but how do they handle chat?

I had downloaded the trial to give the game a shot and it wasn't great, but it wasn't bad. I could see it as a limited time waster. Then they launched as F2P today while revamping the warrior class. One of the things they removed was chatting so for a game that has three mini-bosses in the starter area that need a group to do, it becomes a problem.

Now you can buy chat for 2767 tribute. At the cheapest point 5000 poins cost $26.50 or .0053 a point or $14.67.

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716

You can chat at the local lvl just not ask in the Asharr or Xuijix race chat I seen alot of it already people asking for help. You also didnt wait for them put the correct price out for the package that is $19.99 for all content which is there now.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

Then my account must be bugged since none of my characters even ones made today can use local chat.

• wolvie3131wolvie3131 Member UncommonPosts: 196

Originally posted by alderdale

Originally posted by wolvie3131

free to play?

You might what to look at a PC  upgrade this game runs really well on my PC granted its a very high end rig, but I easily pull 80 to 100 plus FPS with no  "NPC loading" loading issues like you mentioned.  It used to crash allot in beta and at early release but its runs very reliably now.  Your opinion on the gameplay itself though is your own and cant be contested.

should have stated it is not my pc as it is fine I run several games way more demanding than this, my fps was just fine , even when I lowered settings it still took almost 20 minutes to draw the npcs in. I am pretty sure it was server end as I double checked everything on my end.

glad it works so well for you and you enjoy it. I personally found what I saw boring unimaginative and just so so

Originally posted by nolic1

You can chat at the local lvl just not ask in the Asharr or Xuijix race chat I seen alot of it already people asking for help. You also didnt wait for them put the correct price out for the package that is $19.99 for all content which is there now.

They already clarified on the forums that there was a mistake in the wording. Here

[quote]There was a slight word usage error in the patch notes... Free players can use /say, /tell (/whisper), /guild (provided they're in a guild), and /party (when in a party). Sorry for the confusion.[/quote]

I was only referencing the price to get the chat so you could effectively look for a group. The discounted price is 3627 but you have to buy $26.50 worth of points. you can't just buy the pack. This leaves you 1373 points to use which everything costs less or more than which means you will either waste points or have to spend money to get more points repeating the cycle. I realize this the intent but it is a turn off along with the fact $1 doesn't equal 100 points.

• DapyxDapyx Member Posts: 10

As I said on their forums: the game isn't f2p it's a free preview or trial.

Why can't they apply the model that brought Runewaker / Frogster tremenduous success with Runes of Magic? Make a huge content, quality game truly f2p and obtain money from Item Shop.

Even Allods seems much f2p and much better than Alganon.