Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Space Combat Cont'd: On Rails Edition!

Comments

• fatherdeath7fatherdeath7 Member UncommonPosts: 47

This is all perty typical nomatter what mmo you look at..  this isnt good enough.. that isnt good enough.. the game is gonna sux because of this or that... BOTTEM LINE .. you can find fault in every game ever made and not all people have the same expectations.. Personaly i could give a ratz azz if they had any space combat at all what i have seen so far of the game it looks sweet, and i for one will be playing..

If you dont like what these companys are putting out then get off your azz and go make a game yourself.. and at the end of the day we will see how YOU feel when it gets trashed by people with no common sence and not even the common curtisy to acually PLAY the game before they cut it to shreds...

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

I see only one way to explain the choice of a rail shooter for TOR if it is indeed a rail shooter:

THE NGE SYNDROME.

They though the "few" customers (space sim fans) lost, with a dumbed down system, would be way overbalanced with the influx of non space sim fans.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by Zekiah

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Originally posted by Snaylor47

Originally posted by medmarijuana

If people want better space, I am sure Bioware will eventually deliver better space

How many times have we said/heard that as fan boys? How many times do MMO makers actually change game systems?

SWG(Space Combat)_. Lol, WoW(Instance Dungon finder). I could name a few more really.

Those were additions, not changes.

SWG changed numerous times with the way combat was created and played,  how progression was done.... stuff like that.    You had the original,  CU,  and the NGE versions of the game.  Each update had major changes to core systems.  Just one example, and behold,  it was a Star Wars game.

Yeah, and how did that work out for them besides destroying an awesome working game? Perhaps you're one of the ones who loves NGE but I can assure there are many people who loathe NGE.

But I'll say it again, if you think they're going to change flight systems down the road then good luck with that.

I'm kind of confused how you could classify SWG as an "awesome working game" was the game fun sure but it was bug ridden from launch til the CU to the NGE and beyond.  This is not me saying the original game wasn't fun because truthfully I spent countless hours playing it but I'm not going to walk around with blinders on and act like it was all roses.  I can see by gauging the lack of quality of the original game why they may have thought a NGE was needed but that doesn't change the fact that they screwed up big time and the game is no more fun or stable than previously. 

As far as TOR and space combat, am I the only who sees how silly it looks to invoke the name of the Star Wars Galaxies expansion Jump to light speed in the first paragraph no less?  JTL was a paid expansion of the original SWG that came much later than the launch of Galaxies until that expansion we were forced to look on whistfully imagining what it might be like one day as we waited in the spaceport for shuttles that at one point only came once every fifteen minutes.  At launch the prospect of flying a ship was not even represented in a mini game and that's where the writer is getting things a bit twisted imo.  If you are going to compare TOR to what SWG had then compare there launches not what a game had built up to become.  If you want to make a fair comparison then let's talk about what SWG offered pre launch in relation to what TOR is pushing as central to the game they are making.  I doubt anyone who played the original SWG would have been unhappy with a space flight mini game at launch, atleast I certainly wouldn't have.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• mmorpglotrommorpglotro Member Posts: 47

This news does not depress me or decrease my anticipation for the upcoming game. I loved KOTOR I & II and the space combat was minimal (in fact, I really was not a big fan of that part of it). I was so engrossed in the storyline that I really didn't care that the space combat was insignificant. I anticipate the RPG nature of SWTOR (from the past joy that BIOWARE has provided me) will have a similar effect on me. I was really hoping for a SWG: JTLS type of space environment, and maybe that will come later...but it by no means is a deal breaker for me. I am just grateful that Star Wars anything is just around the corner! So much so that I wouldn't mind fighting with a wooden sword instead of a lightsaber LOL. A bit of humor, of course, but if I listened to all the naysayers, I would never have tried STO, which I really enjoy. I appreciate all the differing opinions out there and hope they have an affect on the development of this game. I hope the next announcement about space combat is that it is an evolving process. Now that would spike my anticipation. However, if not, I am more than happy to give it a go.

• mikejm78mikejm78 Member Posts: 22

Originally posted by Cacaphony

Originally posted by mikejm78

This forum is a train wreck.

Welcome to MMORPG.com

Please don't miss quote me. Lets get back to topic.

Asking people to get back on topic without doing so yourself is sort of hypocritcal isnt it? 

Please go read what I have posted on this forum. I have been on topic. I enjoy feedback about what topic is posted not personal attacks. Next time I'll let MMORPG.com handle it. Moving on...

I don't think a rail style space combat will hurt TOR at all. Both KoTOR games worked fine the way they had them. They were not fun but they worked. It fit into the story line also. If its not broken don't fix it.

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

This forum is a train wreck.

Welcome to MMORPG.com

Please don't miss quote me. Lets get back to topic.

Asking people to get back on topic without doing so yourself is sort of hypocritcal isnt it? 

Please go read what I have posted on this forum. I have been on topic. I enjoy feedback about what topic is posted not personal attacks. Next time I'll let MMORPG.com handle it. Moving on...

I don't think a rail style space combat will hurt TOR at all. Both KoTOR games worked fine the way they had them. They were not fun but they worked. It fit into the story line also. If its not broken don't fix it.

Whatever dude.  Stop trying to police posts, it just dosen't work.   Only mods can do that effectively.  Im pretty sure that there are a few posts between 1 and almost 260 posts that sort of stray away from the topic.

Anyway I agree with your opinion about the space combat.  I also think that to make this one part of the game a determining factor for if you play the game or not.. then you will miss out on a lot of what you might have really enjoyed.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Feelings of Déjà vu.

Every time I see an article on STOR it has raised concerns about an element of the game. Once again, wait till after launch till you buy; why be one of the first to play then one of the first on here telling us how disappointed you are?

Once you have seen a few reviews and heard what players are saying a month + after launch then think about buying it.

• ScottcScottc Member Posts: 680

Laughing at anyone who expected anything other than a rail space shooter out of a game that's on rails which gives you little to no freedom.

• BalaelBalael Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by Osirrus

about 18 months ago, when i first heard about SWTOR i was super hyped, but since that time, every piece of news and every game play demo has steadily ground down my expectations for this game.

i am looking for an inovative revolutionary step for my next mmo....

This is just  wow-in-space and now its wow-in-space-on-rails :(

the only people i see playing this game are starwars fanboys and people completely new the mmo's

i think anyone who has been playing MMo's for years will simply say...blah blah bin there done that a million times before.....

Give us something new and exciting please

Im with you my friend. I have forgot this kind of games. When i started to follow this game i had a little hope because BW was a excellent developer, but MMORPGS must be a very difficult bussines because they only repeat the same schemes.

Please, give us something new and exciting. MMORPGs must to evolve

Originally posted by Scottc

Laughing at anyone who expected anything other than a rail space shooter out of a game that's on rails which gives you little to no freedom.

Yet you will probably play it anyway.  image  If only to see what its really like.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Yep, Bioware makes the same game over and over.

Space flight is just one of their mini-games, for SWTOR, like all their other cheap mini-games for previosu titles.

I said it when this was first announced, I was ragged on for saying it, and here it is, proven.

Will I play? Sure, I'll give SWTOR a shot, but it'll get old and I'll go away from it.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Originally posted by Balael

about 18 months ago, when i first heard about SWTOR i was super hyped, but since that time, every piece of news and every game play demo has steadily ground down my expectations for this game.

the only people i see playing this game are starwars fanboys and people completely new the mmo's

i think anyone who has been playing MMo's for years will simply say...blah blah bin there done that a million times before.....

Im with you my friend. I have forgot this kind of games. When i started to follow this game i had a little hope because BW was a excellent developer, but MMORPGS must be a very difficult bussines because they only repeat the same schemes.

What's funny about peopel who always say stuf fliek this is they usually means they don't want MMORPG's to "evolve" they want them to not be MMORPGs but some sort of other MMO entirely.I agree that the MMORPG gnere compeltely dominates the MMO market righ tnow because RPGs were the easiest single player games to adapt to MMO status and the bandwith limitations inherent.But th egnere itself is evolving at aroudn the same pace as any other game genre these days.

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

Yep, Bioware makes the same game over and over.

Space flight is just one of their mini-games, for SWTOR, like all their other cheap mini-games for previosu titles.

I said it when this was first announced, I was ragged on for saying it, and here it is, proven.

Will I play? Sure, I'll give SWTOR a shot, but it'll get old and I'll go away from it.

I will admitt that the "scan the planet" minigame in mass effect 2 was horrid.

• MooMaster4MooMaster4 Member Posts: 16

I'm surprised that everyone is ranting and hating without even seeing what it's like.

The way it was described it sounds like they're doing something akin to the gummy ship battles from Kingdom Hearts 2.

Personally, I had a BLAST with those segments of the game. They were in space, you blew things up, and there was incentive to replay the levels for a better score.

Something along those lines would make me much happier than something like Jump to Lightspeed or EVE.

The goal is fun, not "superrealisticomg"

• medmarijuanamedmarijuana Member Posts: 282

Originally posted by Drakynn

What's funny about peopel who always say stuf fliek this is they usually means they don't want MMORPG's to "evolve" they want them to not be MMORPGs but some sort of other MMO entirely.I agree that the MMORPG gnere compeltely dominates the MMO market righ tnow because RPGs were the easiest single player games to adapt to MMO status and the bandwith limitations inherent.But th egnere itself is evolving at aroudn the same pace as any other game genre these days.

Actually you are right. They do not want them to evolve they want them to go back in time to the good ole days of UO or (insert some other such sandbox title here) ... I wish MMO would evolve and it appears that BW may be bringing some of that with this new game here, but they don't go far enough imo. They seem to be playing it a lil too safe as others may have suggested.

While they try to bring a few revolutionary things to the table, and yea they have some. They simply are trying to make  a successful game that they think will keep the masses enjoying it.

• HoliceHolice Member UncommonPosts: 116

Originally posted by immodium

I think people who claim to be upset about the news have only got themselves to blame.

You are in space and there is combat. Bioware in no way have stated they are trying to make an MMOSpaceSim game.

Yes, maybe they shouldn't of bothered with this "half-assed rail shooter" and dedicated more development to the core of the game.

This game is being marketed as an RPG not a Flight Sim. If anything the unhappy people should be pleased there is any space combat in it at all.

Just because its marketed as an RPG does not mean that it doesn't need Space battles.  Galaxies was an MMORPG and had a great space combat aspect.

The bottom line is that I would really enjoy having some space pvp battles, so hopefully they will have a future release that tackles this head on and makes it as great as the ground game sounds.

• HoliceHolice Member UncommonPosts: 116

Originally posted by MooMaster4

The way it was described it sounds like they're doing something akin to the gummy ship battles from Kingdom Hearts 2.

Something along those lines would make me much happier than something like Jump to Lightspeed or EVE.

The goal is fun, not "superrealisticomg"

Apparently you never really got into SWG J2L or EvE because both of those games are extremely fun in their own aspects. EVE's space combat pvp is extremely enjoyable and challenging, and SWG was a blast to fly around in a tie fighter, free to go most anywhere.

To even compare the gummy ship battles to EVE and SWG is a little silly, like comparing your power wheels to a monster truck. Sure the power wheels was fun when you were 5, but not nearly as enjoyable for an adult.

• BalaelBalael Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by medmarijuana

Originally posted by Drakynn

Actually you are right. They do not want them to evolve they want them to go back in time to the good ole days of UO or (insert some other such sandbox title here) ... I wish MMO would evolve and it appears that BW may be bringing some of that with this new game here, but they don't go far enough imo. They seem to be playing it a lil too safe as others may have suggested.

While they try to bring a few revolutionary things to the table, and yea they have some. They simply are trying to make  a successful game that they think will keep the masses enjoying it.

Its funny because i think exactly like you.

Yes i have played UO, but i dont want to play it again. Im not a jerk elitist "sandboxer", i have enjoy a lot WoW and other different titles, but its time to see some new tools to the players. Some politics, real economy or whatever. I know that this is not the game nor the thead but it is so disapointing see the same games over and over.

Only if you are a big fan of SW IP, you can be hyped with this news.

I hope im wrong, lovethe KOTOR series.

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

With GW2 coming along and so many other games that will be innovative, I'm sad to see that SW:ToR is going to become WoW 2 with new skins.  Just like WoW, I will sit out SW:ToR because I can tell now that it is going to immediately give me that "been there, done that" feeling all over again.

• CaskioCaskio Member UncommonPosts: 339
    Im glad its on rails. If they were to do a space sim I would expect more than JTL because never felt like a Star Wars experience to me. The AI was simple and predictable. And most players flew pre-trilogy or merc ships.

"If you're going to act like a noob, I'll treat you like one." -Caskio

Adventurers wear fancy pants!!!

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

OMG! No Space combat = FAIL!

"Looks like we'd better put a couple guys on implimenting some kind of space combat before launch or people will be angry. I know it's not what we had planned, but we have to listen to our costumers, hopfully they will understand that it was added in an effort to please them and give us some time to really make it into something better down the road."

OMG! Space combat on rails = FAIL!

"You know what? Fuck these kids."

• NesrieNesrie Member Posts: 648

Originally posted by xaldraxius

"Looks like we'd better put a couple guys on implimenting some kind of space combat before launch or people will be angry. I know it's not what we had planned, but we have to listen to our costumers, hopfully they will understand that it was added in an effort to please them and give us some time to really make it into something better down the road."

Your last statement makes you sound more like a kid than what most people are saying in this thread. As the OP originally said, it's HIGHLY unlikely they are going to take this system off rails... ever.

parrotpholk-Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better.

Originally posted by Caskio

Im glad its on rails. If they were to do a space sim I would expect more than JTL because never felt like a Star Wars experience to me. The AI was simple and predictable. And most players flew pre-trilogy or merc ships.

Thats because Jump to Lightspeed was awful.

If you wanted a Star Wars space simulator, then you want X-Wing / TIE Fighter / X-wing Alliance.

Star Wars Galaxies failed by not making their space sim based on those titles from the 90s and now SW:TOR is doing the same, except even worse.

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

Originally posted by Nesrie

Your last statement makes you sound more like a kid than what most people are saying in this thread.

Really? Why? Because you didn't understand the context?

Originally posted by Nesrie

Your last statement makes you sound more like a kid than what most people are saying in this thread.

Really? Why? Because you didn't understand the context?

I'll respond for this person...

Because you sound like a child.

Done.

This discussion has been closed.