Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 - Biggest First week sales of all time

ElreicElreic Member Posts: 79

What think you? I realuze WoW did well week 1, but that was in era when people were not generally fed up with MMO's and the 'pool' of MMO players, dissatisifed and otherwise, is now MUCH larger than it was then.

I think all the miscontents, people sick of WoW etc etc.. are going to try GW2.

If the GW2 reality is at least 80% of the hype (and they are doing a great job hyping, book release, new driblets of info every week or so), then this game is going to be amazing. With 150 developers, it is a serious development team.

GW2 biggest seller week one, of all time.

And if it is great, WoW will finally lose the throne.

Comments

• WreckoniingWreckoniing Member UncommonPosts: 279

Its to early to assume that itd have the most sales, let alone be the so called wow killer, although i am definately hyped about this one.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Anything is possible but Blizzard always seems to pull a rabbit out of their hat at the last second. It doesn't matter though, Guild Wars 2 will be the best mmo for a long time.

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

I think no because of the skill system GW2 is using. It has a limited appeal IMO.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Even if a billion people buy GW2, I doubt it will hurt other games much. Without a sub fee, there's no reason to have to choose GW2 over any other game with a sub, just do both.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• UOloverUOlover Member UncommonPosts: 339

No it won't get most sales, even if it's the greatest game in the world it won't get most sales, Blizzard and Warcraft have(had) major name recognition.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

"This game is not getting overhyped"

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Too soon.

But I think SWTOR will very likely have huge sales.

• zevianzevian Member UncommonPosts: 403

they need a good marketing team who will get the right peoples attention.    then anything is possible.

• DraftbeerDraftbeer Member UncommonPosts: 517

Originally posted by Hyanmen

^^This image

• uncusuncus Member UncommonPosts: 528

GW 2 -  No, SC 2 - very possibly Yes.

• arcdevilarcdevil Member Posts: 864

dont worry , if GW2 ends up being a superhit I bet Blizzard's next step will be to copy and bastardize every new feature lore or mechanic it brings to the table, and peg it into WoW at any cost.

they call it "standard development". others know that as "shameful ripoff from unoriginal developers void of any talent that lost their way long long ago"

• WarbandWarband Member UncommonPosts: 723

GW2 will never do fantastically well in the first few weeks. That's not to say it won't do well at launch but nothing mindblowing.  It's better off getting good reviews and feedback from players to bring in more players. It does however have a massive advantage on most mmo's due to the fact it's buy to play. That means a lot more people will likely buy the game at the very least just to experience it. That should increase it's sales by a fairly large amount and if it gets good feedback it should increase by even more. 

Yeah because it's not like every single other game in existance has at least one unrealistic fan.

• ProsonProson Member UncommonPosts: 544

Im really looking forward to this game. But i dont wanna get too overhyped, ive done that mistake a few too many :(

Its easy too hype a game, im sure i could just throw half a game together (if i had the skills and a small dev team :p ) and i could make alot of people really hyped for it, the problem is to deliver! Anyone can say this and that and the game is going to be so and so, we have all heard that thousands of times.. but has anyone deliverd yet?? no..

And arena net has done ALOT of talking so far, i just hope they can deliver. I wanna have hope, but hope is the first step on the road too dissapointment :/

Lets just hope they take their time with this precious one!! Because this is gonna be a winner if its atleast polished too a extent and have a decent amount of content.

Currently Playing Path of Exile

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but I haven't seen any hype for GW2. No adverts, no promos, no interviews with the developers, nothing. I've seen a couple of things on the front page of this website, but nothing that sounded interesting enough to make me want to click the link. So where is all this hype coming from? It seems to me, if you know about it then you're 'hyped' and probably looking for new info, unlike WoW which made you stand up and take notice.

So beating WoW's first week? I doubt it.

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

No chance, I wouldn't expect much more than Aion's figures.

SWTOR might do it, BioWare almost has the same kind of weight as Blizzard, but ArenaNet/NCSoft are nothing compared to them.

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

having this "wowkiller"-like post before even trying the game having AOC, WAR and many other as examples really does put Gw2 in a OVERMEGA hype section XD

...2 weeks after launch:

"Oh noes!111!! whut? gw2 dont have flying sharks with l4z0r$$ on their heads? whut are they thinking? they promissed at launch!!! Anet lies"...

kind of "player" crap ¬¬

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615

Originally posted by Draftbeer

^^This image

agreed.  every game that gets this much hype is a ghost town 3 months into release.  people start expecting everything to be bright and shiny, then they find one brown turn in all that shiny packaging and instead of stepping around it they scream like little spoiled brats all over the internet and it drives away interest from people who've been considering it and it dies off or goes into "niche game" status.

IMO, if the devs were smart they'd have the next wow killer (I hate that sought after title) by releasing a leak that they're working on X game.  Give no other info until a week or two before launch and then flood the market with advertising for it, just before launch to get everyone hyped to hell but having no time to build up like SWToR has, GW2 has, Rifts, Tera, DCO, etc have which will cause massive shitstorms of flamewars just after launch about "lack of endgame" "too much/too little grind" "X feature is not there, waaahaaaaahaaaaa" etc.

Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

GW2 will be amazing initial seller. (and probably good seller in long run , but thats another story)

There are few good reasons.

1. No subscription or hidden costs at all - big reason to buy for everyone (even if you plan playing other MMOs)

2. Innovation - MMO players are sick and tired of WOW clones. GW2 is tested and proven 100% original

3. Great Reputation - WOW made great initial sales based on WC3 reputation. GW1 was a great reputation builder for Anet

4. Excellent marketing campaign - just look at the hype on troll central MMORPG.com ;)

In fact. I am sure both Blizzard and Bioware are shaking in their booties.

For GW2 is now after all these years a serious treath for WOW userbase retention (and SWTOR)

• Snaylor47Snaylor47 Member Posts: 962

Originally posted by UsualSuspect

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but I haven't seen any hype for GW2. No adverts, no promos, no interviews with the developers, nothing. I've seen a couple of things on the front page of this website, but nothing that sounded interesting enough to make me want to click the link. So where is all this hype coming from? It seems to me, if you know about it then you're 'hyped' and probably looking for new info, unlike WoW which made you stand up and take notice.

So beating WoW's first week? I doubt it.

People mistake Dev Hype for fanboi hype. 

SWTOR, GW2, TERA, DCO, really does not have any dev hype. Its the Fanbois that say "THIS GAME WILL BE L33T" and then you have shitty articles on MMORGP.com that try to hype up or dehype games, We have seen this with WoW and SWTOR, and WAR to a certain extent.

I don't care about innovation I care about fun.

• UOloverUOlover Member UncommonPosts: 339

I don't think you can equate anything GW1 has done to the reputation Warcraft had heh.  Being free will be it's biggest selling factor for people who know nothing about GW1.

Originally posted by Lobotomist

In fact. I am sure both Blizzard and Bioware are shaking in their booties.

Yeah, "HOLY SHIT A B2P" Yeah because NO ONE IN THERE RIGHT MIND WOULD EVER PLAY BOTH.

• yoyoyoblakayoyoyoblaka Member Posts: 199

GW2 won't dethrone WoW i can guarantee that. The guild wars series just doesn't have that lasting element to it, 

Anyone that has played GW1 should know that. Seriously though guild wars 1 wasn't even that great, I wouldn't even really consider it an MMO its more of a diablo type game. 

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

What's their plan again?

Sell boxes, servers are free, and how do they make money going forward to pay for the servers?

Cash shop?

Originally posted by Ihmotepp

What's their plan again?

Sell boxes, servers are free, and how do they make money going forward to pay for the servers?

Cash shop?

Expansion pack, then in five years we will be seeing GW3.

• MorcotulconMorcotulcon Member UncommonPosts: 262

Originally posted by skeaser

Even if a billion people buy GW2, I doubt it will hurt other games much. Without a sub fee, there's no reason to have to choose GW2 over any other game with a sub, just do both.

You're absolutely right, and that's why GW2 will be succesfull. With their B2P payment model they call the interest of all the players, whether they are more P2P oriented players or F2P oriented players.

In other words, the client-type they are looking for are all the players that wanna play, instead of only half of them (P2P games probably lose half the players that dont want to pay each month; F2P games lose half the players that dont have a problem paying for much better quality of services and/or gaming).

They dont hurt the other games much, but the other games will probably feel the consequences of their own choice if the players begin to like GW2 as much as the game with sub. I mean, to pay or not to pay is not a question when the fun, the services and the support are the same (or better), i think. And IMHO, the F2P market will probaly lose in terms of sevices, support, gaming and cash-shop.

As for the OP, GW2 will be a big hit in sales (if not the best of the year). But beeing the biggest first week sales of all time, don't know because is just an expectation and we still have to wait for more info about the game and there's still quite some time to the release. It's too early to talk about that.

This discussion has been closed.