Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard NWO Warning

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escapist-news-network/1922-Blizzard-Warning

skip to 1:40 for sc2 and WoW stuff though id recommend just watching whole thing.

be warned : you cant unwatch once you watch it.

edit: overall great site with loadingreadyrun enn and unskippable all done by the same group of people.

thanks to Sluggs for linking this.

-------------

But what you think? Blizzard seems to rule over this Genre of gaming.

How did they get this way?

How did they get this kind of development power that other developers (including Older MMORPG Developers) havnt seem to be able to gain?

Whats going on behind closed doors At Blizzard?

IMO Blizzard is using that funding to spy of the competition. Ever wonder how WoTLK was able to copy many Warhammer Closed Beta ideas?

Its a Conspiracy ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,/,,,/,,,,,,/,,,/,,,,,,,,,,,

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

actually I wonder more how warhammer was able to take good ideas and make them unplayable.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179

I really do wonder what they do with all the monies. I mean, think about it, they make a TON of cash every month on subs alone, add in box sales and...that's a whole lot of scratch. I know some goes to the costs of running servers/staff, but it can't be near what they make.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by skeaser

I really do wonder what they do with all the monies. I mean, think about it, they make a TON of cash every month on subs alone, add in box sales and...that's a whole lot of scratch. I know some goes to the costs of running servers/staff, but it can't be near what they make.

Most of it goes up the food chain to Vivendi.

• ZoulzZoulz Member Posts: 477

Just lol. If you didn't notice, that whole show was oozing of sarcasm. You might as well ask the same things about Apple or any other large company.

And about Warhammer. They would hardly need to spend money on spying. All they need is some employees playing the closed beta. If you made games, wouldn't you want to know what your competition is up to?

• arcdevilarcdevil Member Posts: 864

vid was hardly funny...

• chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

Originally posted by Terikan3

actually I wonder more how warhammer was able to take good ideas and make them unplayable.

10/10

This was spot on. It made me laugh :) Warhammer was a complete bundle of rubbish!

Make us care MORE about our faction & world pvp!

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767

I love the segment becouse it lampoons all the haters and consipracy thoery nuts that spend their days whining how evil Blizzard is.

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

Blizzard is behind the New World Order? I always suspected this was the case.

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Who cares?

• ProsonProson Member UncommonPosts: 544

Where does all the money go? Well, server costs,  paying developers and costumer support, you know how many THOUSANDS employes blizzard have? Im not sure how many, but i would bet its around a few thousand. Also blizzard is owned by vivendi so they get some money, then the rest goes to the guy who's on top and he prolly spends it on all kinds of stuff.

Its not rocket science, dont you know how basic life work? lol

Currently Playing Path of Exile

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

The money goes to the shareholders.

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

Heh a very good video love the Escapist.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

It's simple.  Make something that is accessible by everyone.  Every computer, every age, every country, etc.  Make the graphics, content, stories, and controls as easy and widespanning as possible.  Make a solid and polished game with multiple hooks that pull players in to a never ending treadmill.  Trust that word of mouth will spread and bring more and more players in.  Be the lowest common denominator.  Advertise with icons that everyone loves.

Now recycle content and keep adding new goodies at the end of the treadmill and you are gold.  They don't have to spy.  If people make their games to be like WoW then they will fail.  WoW players already have a home, they already have their chars, they have expansions, and a solid game built on for years.  I bet Blizzard is just sitting back laughing at how stupid all of these devs and producers have been as they throw away millions trying to compare themselves to WoW instead of being innovative and trying to bring new things to the table. 

Now SWTOR and Rifts and a slew of other MMO's are keeping up with the tradition.  Players that have WoW like WoW and those that don't want something new.  Something not so mind numbing and easy.  So these morons are targeting the WoW playerbase... a group of people how have hundreds of hours invested in an existing game with expansions that is still thriving, and who will probably flock to Blizz's next MMO regardless of where they go.

I mean it's just stupidity.  Company after company and game after game repeatedly go down this road and it makes you facepalm.  It's like WTF are you doing to these IPs and all this money.  Maybe it's just that Blizzard actually pays attention to whats going on because all of these other companies obviously don't have a clue.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by Ihmotepp

Some of the money goes to the shareholders.

Fixed.
  • Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

OP post like this is serious stuff but the guy in the video is a clown, how can you take this guy seriously.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by Rzep

I love the segment becouse it lampoons all the haters and consipracy thoery nuts that spend their days whining how evil Blizzard is.

There's no conspiracy around Blizzard.

They're the same old bland corporate "evil" that pretty much any other large corporation is.

Between treating customers like dirt, underhanded business practices, overcharging customers, and externalities, they're not much different than BP with the way they behave. They just haven't  caused an "oilspill", so most people turn a blind eye.

Blizzard isn't "out to get" anyone, but they're sure as hell not out to help anyone but themselves and their shareholders.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

I have to agree with you there.  I SO wanted Warhammer to be a great game, especially since I helped test the pencil 'n paper version when it was being designed.

• BarbarbarBarbarbar Member UncommonPosts: 271

One of them bought a NFL team.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/35934/Blizzard-COO-buys-Pittsburgh-Steelers

• BarbarbarBarbarbar Member UncommonPosts: 271

Originally posted by Proson

Where does all the money go? Well, server costs,  paying developers and costumer support, you know how many THOUSANDS employes blizzard have? Im not sure how many, but i would bet its around a few thousand. Also blizzard is owned by vivendi so they get some money, then the rest goes to the guy who's on top and he prolly spends it on all kinds of stuff.

Its not rocket science, dont you know how basic life work? lol

Actually Blizzard themselves stated that they spend 100 million on creating WoW and barely any noticable amount on keeping the game up, compared to cost of initial development and monthly revenue.

IIRC corectly they said at that time (which was during Burning Crusade) that total cost sofar was 200 million dollars, which was next to nothing compared to what they had earned.

An MMO as succesfull as WoW is like going to Vegas and run into a slotmachine that gives the jackpot everytime you let it roll.

Edit: Found the article, it deals with WoW from 2004 untill 2008. It tells that just 2 months in 2008 with 10 million subscribers, paid for all development and upkeep in a 4 year period. This means that all revenues for the remaining 46 months have gone into the moneypile. The box sales are free money for blizzard untop. The last couple of years haven't been worse to say the least.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2330507,00.asp

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Originally posted by Barbarbar

One of them bought a NFL team.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/35934/Blizzard-COO-buys-Pittsburgh-Steelers

Joint owner along with 9 others.  So Jerry Jones still doesn't have any competition in the Loose Cannon category yet.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

ROFLMAO!!!

That was some of the funniest shit I have ever seen!  HAHAHAHA!!!

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• mmofan2112mmofan2112 Member Posts: 38

The guy that did the SC bit is member of old comic team called 'four heads in a duffelbag'...look for video called Hells Helpdesk on youtube to see another funny skit by him

• EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,248

Originally posted by bobfish

Who cares?

Because Blizzard is ruining the game industry.

• SeffrenSeffren Member Posts: 743

Ha ha, cracked me up ... but now I'm crying again.

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

Originally posted by Eronakis

Originally posted by bobfish

Who cares?

Because Blizzard is ruining the game industry.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! You should join them at ENN, that show is too funny! I watch them every time :D

In the off chance you were serious, how exactly it is ruining the game industry by releasing ONLY great games? Yeah, you may not like this or that product, but ALL Blizzard franchises have loads of fans (so they are liked by the public) and always receive critical acclaim.

Plus, I think you meant the MMORPG industry, because frankly in the bigger world of video games Blizzard (not Activision Blizzard) is quite the small fish, renowned for their craftsmanship but not for their bulk. Even their biggest games cannot make dents in the big console games like Call of Duty, the various musical games, Halo, GTA, Gears of Wars etc etc.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"