Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New GW2 vid - pure epicness!!

Comments

• sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132

Quite a few things were interesting

1) We saw some cross professions will work .The gunshot had static charge.

2) some underwater footage

3) We saw some of the events they have mentioned . Water pipes been destroyed , bridge explosion etc

4) We get to see another soldier class .If you look carefully the camera shows all the team members the last one seemed like a Knight fully armored. They said there are 2 melee classes warrior being one.

5) I saw daggers with face covered mask .Even though assassin profession might not be in, some other class will share the same assassin traits

6) I am sure their was one scene where an elite skill was used. They always said elite skills is something that others nearby will notice it from surroundings.

7) Asura jumping off a destroyed Golem suit.That would explain how Asura melee profession class can fight.

• AsatruFolketAsatruFolket Member Posts: 2

How in that hell this game can be without monthly fee? can someone explain to my limited horizion?

I mean... this game is very very interessting to me... but I'm a little bit afraid of the f2p thing  in MMOs.

Besides that.. this Video rocks and hyped me once again.

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647

Originally posted by AsatruFolket

How in that hell this game can be without monthly fee? can someone explain to my limited horizion?

I mean... this game is very very interessting to me... but I'm a little bit afraid of the f2p thing  in MMOs.

I shall enlighten you then. How can they do this? Simple, ArenaNet is awesome :P. No but seriously, Anet mentioned back in 2007 that recent advancements in technology have allowed them to provide more under the same condition. And BEFORE anyone tells you different, Anet is not making use of phasing technology similar to WoW. If a bridge is destroy, guess what? It's destroyed for EVERYONE. If a town is destroyed, it's destroyed. It's up to the players to help rebuild it. Well first it's B2P, not F2P. You have to buy actual game. However, after you buy the game, you are free to play as much as you want and how often you want. If you can only get one for maybe 2 hours every week, that's fine. You aren't wasting your money by doing that because there is no subscription. There will be a cash shop, but it'll be similar to GW1. As in, there will be nothing in there that will give you a gameplay advantage over everyone else. Everything in there is simply small perks, like costumes, etc.

And to add to the list of things we've seen from the trailer: We can dodge roll! Nobody seems to be as excited about that as i am.

• WarbandWarband Member UncommonPosts: 723

My god what is this hype city. The hype's gone into turbo and I'm not sure why.... I mean when developers were actually talking in detail about the games mechanics people weren't this hyped but an in-game trailer and people are foaming. It was  an exceptionally nice trailer but come guys hype over mechanics not pretty video's. 

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

We all been waiting for the WOW killer, this could be it.  That video was awesome.

• VerterdegeteVerterdegete Member UncommonPosts: 247

Its Buy to Play. You need to purchase it like any other standard video game.

The thing is that imho entire P2P model is a huge hoax. If bandwith is that expensive how come Modern Warfare 2 and Starcraft 2  dont have subscription fees?  FPSs and RTSs spend a LOT more bandwith than an average MMO.

The second argument oftenly used in defending F2P model is the new content we get. I say : What content ffs? WAR players are paying 15$ a month since november 2008, and what did they get? They actually got content REMOVED from the game. Or lets take WoW for example. Wotlk came out in November 2008, now its August 2010 and in this period you got like 4 raids, and how much have you payed for those 4 raids ? 300$ (three hundred) Dollars in subscription fees!!! You could have bought 6 games with that money,

• saraphimknigsaraphimknig Member Posts: 17

Actually, I can comment on that.

On "MMO THAT SHALL NOT BE NAMED", for "COMPANY THAT SHALL NOT BE NAMED", our subscription rate was $7.50. For a typical American household, internet is between $20 to $40 a month, without including "turbo boosts" and what not. For us, including server space and bandwidth, we paid around $2 per head, for each person playing, for that bandwidth per month. That was with around 200,000 subscribers. So, per month, we would pay $400,000. If we increased bandwidth, it meant we had more players, which meant the cost per head went down, but overall running fees went up. Now, more players subscribing always is equal to more profit, that I will say. However, with the number I gave, that still doesn't take into account salaries for developers, nor any other costs.

What subscriptions provide us is a constant revenue stream that we can depend on, given a statistically verifiable number of players. The money isn't always as great as it sounds, but it is typically solid. However, as others have mentioned, it does not provide burst sales, nor special incentives to spend more money on the game. Hence, why so many cash shop mmo's do substantially well, even if the west considers them "asian grind fests". They capitilize somewhat on their design, but more on human psychology than anything else (trust me on this; the game may be substantially easier with cash shop items or design their game to make it gruelingly difficult otherwise, but they make money more on the psychology factor).

This comes lastly to "Buy to Play" games. These games require one of two things to be truly successful: they need to be a hit, with expansions planned; or they need a cash shop of sorts to monetize aspects of the game. In business, expansions are nothing more than monetized content / updates. Hence, buy to play games tend to work well with cash shops, providing that the cash shops offer items of value that are considered obtainable by the gaming community. Buy to play, if it is a hit, provides greater overall revenue over the same period of time as a subscription, sometimes by two to three orders of magnitude. However, this is not substainable, as all hit games reach a peek. Hence, they require expansions or cash shops to continue to function.

Anyhow, that is my excerpt for the day. As far as GW2 goes, I will say I am excited in some ways, but will hold my judgement for first Gamescom, and then public beta.

• AganazerAganazer Member Posts: 1,319

Some very important facts I got from watching that video:

1. GW2 team has people dedicated to marketing

2. Those marketing people know how to make videos

That is a dangerous combination. Watcher beware!

• AsatruFolketAsatruFolket Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by bookworm438

I shall enlighten you then. How can they do this? Simple, ArenaNet is awesome :P. No but seriously, Anet mentioned back in 2007 that recent advancements in technology have allowed them to provide more under the same condition. And BEFORE anyone tells you different, Anet is not making use of phasing technology similar to WoW. If a bridge is destroy, guess what? It's destroyed for EVERYONE. If a town is destroyed, it's destroyed. It's up to the players to help rebuild it. Well first it's B2P, not F2P. You have to buy actual game. However, after you buy the game, you are free to play as much as you want and how often you want. If you can only get one for maybe 2 hours every week, that's fine. You aren't wasting your money by doing that because there is no subscription. There will be a cash shop, but it'll be similar to GW1. As in, there will be nothing in there that will give you a gameplay advantage over everyone else. Everything in there is simply small perks, like costumes, etc.

And to add to the list of things we've seen from the trailer: We can dodge roll! Nobody seems to be as excited about that as i am.

Ok thank you great master ;) maybe I understand a little better now :) and as long as it is not possible to buy Ubermightyepixitemsfromhell, GW 2 will most likely have a new Disciple.

Know only the release is missing.

• KillHurtKillHurt Member Posts: 347

Originally posted by Warband

My god what is this hype city. The hype's gone into turbo and I'm not sure why.... I mean when developers were actually talking in detail about the games mechanics people weren't this hyped but an in-game trailer and people are foaming. It was  an exceptionally nice trailer but come guys hype over mechanics not pretty video's. 

They are hyping over the mechanics shown in the pretty video.

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

Not sure what everyone is raving about but it looks like nothing we've already seen imo. I could be wrong but GW2 is bound to be another MMO like the rest. This genre needs a taste of new MMOs with fresh and unique features. I do hope those that play it enjoy it, but I'll likely be stearing clear of this one.

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Originally posted by Aganazer

Some very important facts I got from watching that video:

1. GW2 team has people dedicated to marketing

2. Those marketing people know how to make videos

That is a dangerous combination. Watcher beware!

Haha.

At least they are being honest about just how much talking they have been doing and are ready to also "walk the walk". That's got to be an honest and open signal under any circumstances?! Not long to see.

• jmiprojmipro Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by Ethian

Not sure what everyone is raving about but it looks like nothing we've already seen imo. I could be wrong but GW2 is bound to be another MMO like the rest. This genre needs a taste of new MMOs with fresh and unique features. I do hope those that play it enjoy it, but I'll likely be stearing clear of this one.

hahahaha "bound to be like the rest" and "this genre needs fresh and unique features" have you even read about what you will be able to do in GW2? Doesnt look like it.

• yippee22yippee22 Member Posts: 48

Is this real in game play or fancy cinematics? If it is game play then it seems more beutiful than anything I have played.

Also, is this game going to be different than Guild Wars? I got the feeling of playing in a hamster tube on that game, Aion too. Aion was pretty but I felt a disconnect rather than an immersion into the world. The mini map actually looked like a hallway or hamster tube rather than a vast world open to explore. The first guild wars was fun for a moment but i bored quickly with the repatitious nature of the game play and didnt like having all the NPC helpers that were worse than picking up a pug in WoW.

Granted it has been a long time since Guild Wars and I only gave Aion a week but they just didnt pull me in. My wife and I play and we want a bit more immersion into the world rather than "playing a game". Wow has an immersion factor that goes away once you max level and have to raid or arena for lack of any further journey. Everquest was awesome but wife gets vertigo on it. Any first person view in fact makes her very sick, we tried darkfall which seemed promising to me but she got ill so cant play it.

Anyway back on topic, does anyone know what playstyle this will be more like (another game, mechanically speajing) and are those actual graphics in the vid? (Our systems can push anything at max but lets face it, games seem to always look different in the dang vids....)

• WarbandWarband Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by KillHurt

True but not all that much. It's a small amount compared o what we actually knw which is perfectly fine as too much talking would ruin it. It's just the fact that the hype has increased by a huge a amount which is more than likey due to the pretty visuals... and the dragon....

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by KillHurt

As long as people don't expect this to be the holy grail of MMO's and salvation in one package, the game will survive at release. Every MMO has week  spots at release and so will this one

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

so um...have you read anything about this game?

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647

Originally posted by yippee22

Is this real in game play or fancy cinematics? If it is game play then it seems more beutiful than anything I have played.

Also, is this game going to be different than Guild Wars? I got the feeling of playing in a hamster tube on that game, Aion too. Aion was pretty but I felt a disconnect rather than an immersion into the world. The mini map actually looked like a hallway or hamster tube rather than a vast world open to explore. The first guild wars was fun for a moment but i bored quickly with the repatitious nature of the game play and didnt like having all the NPC helpers that were worse than picking up a pug in WoW.

Granted it has been a long time since Guild Wars and I only gave Aion a week but they just didnt pull me in. My wife and I play and we want a bit more immersion into the world rather than "playing a game". Wow has an immersion factor that goes away once you max level and have to raid or arena for lack of any further journey. Everquest was awesome but wife gets vertigo on it. Any first person view in fact makes her very sick, we tried darkfall which seemed promising to me but she got ill so cant play it.

Anyway back on topic, does anyone know what playstyle this will be more like (another game, mechanically speajing) and are those actual graphics in the vid? (Our systems can push anything at max but lets face it, games seem to always look different in the dang vids....)

What you see in the video is the actual engine at work. They most likely are on the higher end of of the graphics "scale" so to speak. http://www.arena.net/blog and http://www.guildwars2.com can provide you with plenty of info on the game. The community managers also post on http://www.guildwars2guru.com, and they have a section devoted to all articles/interviews released about guild wars 2.

• rebelhero1rebelhero1 Member Posts: 229

I've been on the fence for a bit, but haven't really been seeking new information about this.

It is now officially on my buy list.

As to my main game, it'll be between TOR and GW2. May the best man....game win!

Playing: *sigh* back to WoW :(
    --------
    Waiting for: SW:TOR, APB, WoD
    ---------
    Played and loved: Eve and WoW
    --------
    Played and hated: WoW:WotLK, Warhammer, every single F2P

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Originally posted by arenasb

so um...have you read anything about this game?

No he obviously hasn't. He made a similar post in another threa dtalking about how GW2 is doing nothing new, its the same old same old thats been in every MMO for years and years... i provided a list for him there of things that havent been done before, or are very rare to see in MMOs. Hopefully it doesnt go way over his head since he apparently cant be bothered to actually read any information about the game.

• Bob23106Bob23106 Member UncommonPosts: 30

Guild War's 2 Looks epic, They are going above and beyond what anyone has done before. I personally believe that this game will knock WOW down, and blizzard may have to Develop a whole new game in general. But I put money on that WOW will release a new expansion pack just as Guild Wars 2 release date is coming,  just like they did with Warhammer Online, to try and stop people spending their money on a new game and keep them interested in theirs. Great business tactics but keeps them typical "WOW" player gamers glued to their game. I just hope people just give Guild Wars 2 the chance it obviously deserves. And them typical WOW players, try something new. 

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

gasm

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

great looking video, and I really liked what the devs had to say...however, I've also liked what Aion devs said, AOC's devs, and WARS devs said pre launch.

Its a hype machine.

Hopefully GW actually pays out

• FalfeirFalfeir Member UncommonPosts: 492

Originally posted by Pyrostasis

great looking video, and I really liked what the devs had to say...however, I've also liked what Aion devs said, AOC's devs, and WARS devs said pre launch.

Its a hype machine.

Hopefully GW actually pays out

fingers crossed. the woman in the video was very "hate-able" with bold statements and know it all attitude.

I need more vespene gas.

• RobertDinhRobertDinh Member Posts: 647
    One of the biggest inaccuracies in the video was them claiming players can leave a permanent mark on the world.

The dynamic event system is meant to be cyclical, which means if you help take an outpost from centaurs, and then everyone goes on their merry way, eventually the centaurs will retake it and return the event back to it's previous stage.

You can leave a mark on the world for a short time, and then it recycles after you've left.
This discussion has been closed.