Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reason to play this over Warhammer?

Comments

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868

I would be a much happier man if they had just created WAR in 2001 and then started DaoC. You would have the game play of DaoC with today’s WAR models and textures.   

(Slaps his girlfriend)

• ChannceChannce Member CommonPosts: 570

Originally posted by Truelevel

I would be a much happier man if they had just created WAR in 2001 and then started DaoC. You would have the game play of DaoC with today’s WAR models and textures.   

(Slaps his girlfriend)

I prefer everything about DAoC compared to WAR, especailly the graphics.

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868

Originally posted by Channce

(Slaps his girlfriend)

(Slaps Channce)

Good for you, but better graphics in any game is a plus and just think of all the subs DaoC could achieve from doing such.

• QazzQazz Member Posts: 577

A former player once told me that you can't even compete in Dark Age if you don't multi-box.  I'm not sure if this is true or not.

• aesbestosaesbestos Member Posts: 81

I've never played Dark Age...  Maybe I should give it a shot.

• alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370

Like WAR, just better:-) You may tho have a hard time to get used to old UI there but if you can overcome it and graphics don't really matter that much then game should be enjoyable

• cyanhidecyanhide Member Posts: 141

warhammer is like 2/10 of DAOC actuly 

The GFX are at some point realy old ,like a certain bridge in camelot hills lol 

but they cleaned up most of it ,and its not state of the art,but believe me when i say you wont be noticing it 

and yea pretty old UI , the first 6 lvl's are gonna be a real pain in the ass ,just to get used to it ,

like some quest givers ask u a question ,like whats your name,then u will have to  type in regular chat your name

same as asking a guard for another person nearby you type /where Ascilo ( or something ^^ 

but if u get past the the first lvl's its just omfgfantasticazme or something... and last but not least ,i'm hearing alot of people ask wich class is the best to play , DAOC has alot of classes and honnostly ,evry class is just equal as good :) they fixed alot of stuff 

so Log On ! 

• ColdSunColdSun Member Posts: 210

I am reading this thread thinking to myself that it is funny someone does not know how to drink a potion in DAOC.  Are we all supposed to agree that newer MMOs are better because they make everything easy?  Map systems, waypoints, and other spoon-fed interfaces from newer games make me sick.

Newer MMOs have taken the challenge out of everything.  People don't even want to level anymore.  Just follow the level/reputation grind carrot like blind lemmings through the game so they can reach the next level/get the next item/earn the higher reputation.

I played DAOC before it was even released, in a very early stage of beta.  Even then, coming from Everquest, which was also a fantastic MMO because it was HARD, I could see the promise of DAOC.  Everyone else here has already stated what the game had or has that makes it so good.  Unfortunately, many of the people that play it now are not very community focused and there is not near the "realm pride" that drove us together as teams that there was in the beginning.  Still, even without that, the game is worth playing more than most games coming out even now.

When WAR came out I was accepted in the beta for it as well.  I could see right off the bat the game was not anything like DAOC and more like WoW.  This was sad to me.  Also, WAR had some frustrating issues such as a very sluggish and unresponsive interface (something I didn't notice much in DAOC and definately not in WoW.  It also had problems with corners and getting stuck even on the smallest things.  All of my friends who had played these games with me for years had left WAR after a month of playing it.  The game was very much like WoW, but not even near as good.  Why play WAR when you can play WoW, which is far better?  For my own time, I won't waste it on WoW - the king of easy-mode MMOs.  WoW is the Counterstrike of MMOs - there aren't a whole lot of bright minds playing it.  It is designed for people who find "I have a nigh elf Mohawk" funny and cool.  When DAOC came out it was made during a time when developers cared about gameplay and had the drive to deliver something enjoyable.  Now it is all about how much money they can make by putting in as many time sinks as possible.

ColdSun

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647

same here I tried the free trial and I couldnt figure out how to play a level 1 so I /delete it right away.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Originally posted by Honeymoon69

same here I tried the free trial and I couldnt figure out how to play a level 1 so I /delete it right away.

Uhh... seriously? Even with the huge insanely easy newbie tutorial? I didn't even have that when I started playing and it wasn't that bad compared to say, Star Wars Galaxies. 

Is this what the MMO industry has come to? Have we fallen this far?

Originally posted by Ogrelin

It's more hardcore imho.

be prepared for a steeper learning curve... and you need patience.

But... it's not that complicated. I suppose it is a steeper learning curve compared to something as shallow as WoW, but thats like saying a handicap ramp is steeper than flat ground. 

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Originally posted by Honeymoon69

I don't know wether to laugh, cry, or pray this troll post....

• inalizinaliz Member UncommonPosts: 45

Heres a good reason. If you've played too much warhammer or are bored of it. Try DAoC. I had a lot of fun in DAoC and never played it till recently. Although I think you can pick up a free trial on both. Why not do that and see which you like mre.

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

For me the only reason I left was I just got sick of buff botters. They are a plague upon society right below WoW raiders in annoyance factor.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

(Slaps his girlfriend)

(Slaps Channce)

Good for you, but better graphics in any game is a plus and just think of all the subs DaoC could achieve from doing such.

I'd agree. Though it sounds superficial, I couldn't play DAoC no matter how hard I tried, and it had nothing to do with the game play, but the visuals, which are extremely outdated. Fair to say, I can still play EQ and UO without any problem, but that's probably because I started playing them when they first released, and never played DAoC until this year.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370

The most funny thing is actually that most modern MMOs' UI's is still based on what is in DAoC. Simplified, yes. But still the essence is the same.

Originally posted by Lawlmonster

(Slaps his girlfriend)

(Slaps Channce)

I'd agree. Though it sounds superficial, I couldn't play DAoC no matter how hard I tried, and it had nothing to do with the game play, but the visuals, which are extremely outdated. Fair to say, I can still play EQ and UO without any problem, but that's probably because I started playing them when they first released, and never played DAoC until this year.

Really? I think DAoC still looks better than a great many MMOs out there. I like the realistic style and very few MMOs manage to make the armor and weapons look that good. Certainly better than WoW anyway. 

• ShadewalkerShadewalker Member Posts: 299

I agree that with free trials available people should pick up both and stick with the one they prefer. I did just that recently (having previously played both games at their respective launches) and it was a simple conclusion, WAR came out on top by a long way. I found it infinitely easier to get into, there were far more people around, public quests were a great way of introducing you to other players, and the atmosphere of constant war wherever you went was very compelling. WAR also looks and plays incredibly on a decent machine whilst DAoC looks and plays even more dated than EQ does these days  which is saying something.

When reading most of the replies here  someone who hasn't followed the history of these two games  needs to understand that DAoC has a small but incredibly loyal band of supporters who have never got over the fact that the game they thought was going to be DAoC 2 turned out to be something very different, albeit in my view very much better for that. However, like other early MMO's such as UO and AC, DAoC has a veteran playerbase that will not tolerate criticism of the game by other people, notwithstanding the vitriol they have directed over the years at GOA, Mark Jacobs and Mythic particularly over the Atlantis expansion which destroyed the game for them until they found something else in WAR to carp about and since when DAoC has reverted to being the best thing evar! For that reason and because of a very poor launch WAR has a considerable number of haters for whom the game will never appeal, although in my view it has come on in leaps and bounds since launch.

Take both on trial and see which suits you best, that remains the best advice for anyone who hasn't seen either game before. That said, there are I believe a number of far better games such as EQ2, LoTRO and AoC although they don't offer the same style of RvR/PvP whilst being far better games in all other respects in my view. However, if it is really a choice between these two only, then try them both and see which suits. For me it's WAR.

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Originally posted by karat76

For me the only reason I left was I just got sick of buff botters. They are a plague upon society right below WoW raiders in annoyance factor.

This is exactly why i quit DAoC many years ago. If this issue was taken care of then, i would probably still be playing it.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

Originally posted by Garvon3

(Slaps his girlfriend)

(Slaps Channce)

Really? I think DAoC still looks better than a great many MMOs out there. I like the realistic style and very few MMOs manage to make the armor and weapons look that good. Certainly better than WoW anyway. 

If you're talking about art direction, that's one thing (and highly subjective). As far as polish and general appeal is concerned, I'd say orders of magnitude separate the two. I find it difficult to disagree, that WoW looks like a game created within the past few years, and that DAoC looks like something made around the time of Everquest. I'm not trying to hate, here, just saying that I can understand why players would be turned off by the graphics. Like I said, it probably has something to do with playing when it was the cool, new MMO to be subscribed to, because I can play EQ and UO just fine without any qualms regarding the visuals. Did you play DAoC during it's intial phase of release, or within a couple years?

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

Originally posted by Garvon3

(Slaps his girlfriend)

(Slaps Channce)

If you're talking about art direction, that's one thing (and highly subjective). As far as polish and general appeal is concerned, I'd say orders of magnitude separate the two. I find it difficult to disagree, that WoW looks like a game created within the past few years, and that DAoC looks like something made around the time of Everquest. I'm not trying to hate, here, just saying that I can understand why players would be turned off by the graphics. Like I said, it probably has something to do with playing when it was the cool, new MMO to be subscribed to, because I can play EQ and UO just fine without any qualms regarding the visuals. Did you play DAoC during it's intial phase of release, or within a couple years?

During the initial phase, so I guess I fall into that theory. I tried to play WoW and it looked like something from the 90s, with one big old texture for all the armor, after being so used to the detailed high poly armor and weapons of Camelot. 

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Originally posted by Kyleran

Simply put, DAOC is the superior MMO in most every way that matters.

This.

• galoarigaloari Member UncommonPosts: 72

pff...stop whining about not knowing what to do at lvl 1...when it started it was much harder to find out but guess what..that's the beauty of it... you actualy had to work to find out how the game works it made you... think :O shocking right?:P

• Kaelaan21Kaelaan21 Member UncommonPosts: 349

I keep hearing about DAoC subscribers not being able to take criticism. Please understand there is a difference between criticism and douche-baggery. Yes, it is dated.... of course it is. It's 9 years old. I am glad that we got the last texture update when we did. It did allow it to age a little better. It's not graphically superb, but it gets the job done. When comparing the majority of EQ, DAoC has better graphics hand down. When comparing the last two expansions or so of EQ, they are comparable.

If you do plan on trying DAoC, I would suggest choosing a realm and finding a guild BEFORE you start your trial. Otherwise, you will more than likely not have an enjoyable experience trying to figure everything out solo. Plus, it is VERY important to understand that DAoC is a realm based game. This means, if you plan to mostly solo, there are games much better suited for you. It's about team based combat and coming up with strategies for your realm.

• dantheman13dantheman13 Member UncommonPosts: 55
  • SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

DAoC has boatloads more content along with great PvE AND PvP.  Of course, the main problem I had was whenI played, I felt like I was an outsider as I was a fresh toon surrounded by  9 year veterans.  Also, know that PvP isn't quite as easy to find in the lower levels as it is in WAR.  Sure, DAoC has BGs for every level range, but until about 35 or so, those BGs are primarily used to level in due to the XP bonus.  The good news though, is that the leveling curve in DAoC is extremely fast these days, and I wonder if you could hit the level cap in a matter of weeks -- perhaps a month if you take your time.